• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[FONT=PALATINO_LINOTYPE]CHAPTER VIII - A RECONQUISTA[/FONT]

1501 ANNO DOMINI, October and November

By October 25th the native rebels were submitted to the Lusitanian supremacy, and were the first hundred (a holy number for the Lusitanii) settlers sent for. These were primarily nobility and anyone who could pay enough to be the first to return to Portugal PROPER.

ScreenSave0.jpg

Jorge’s great army had only lost a thousand or so soldiers despite the natives having half of their army mounted on the equine creatures, the cabalhos. Meanwhile in Gibraltar the four thousand cavalry awaited Jorge’s orders. Luckily for Jorge the King could not ask him anything as to what the cabalhos were nor why they were in Gibraltar, but not for the reason Jorge thought: Simple ignorance and distance. Instead very simply because Manuel was almost in Algarve, in hot pursuit of Jorge, and arriving after the battle, struggle, and appearance of God, on 6 November 1501.

***​

King Manuel I of Lusitania, on foot like any villain, puffed his way over to Jorge’s quarters in the army camp. His demeanour had radiated it constantly since Jorge’s return from Granadia so many months ago, but now the King was dusty, dirty, and with on his parched lips the grimy slime of protective dried saliva, already solidified in crusts. The King was not fit to rule, but Jorge had a sense of honour despite himself, and controlled his aspirations: This was his uncle-in-law anyway.

Jorge, in his officer’s tent, was looking at the still incomplete map of Algarve. By tomorrow it would be accurate to the pebble, by the greatest cartographers of Lusitania. Seeing the King arriving Jorge turned and made for his comfortable seat. The King let himself fall into it, however, before Jorge could even make out what he was saying.

“Good show, Jorge, but where are the locals?” Jorge knew Manuel would want to meet with the barbarous tribes. “There are no locals, Your Highness…” he sounded unconvincing however, and Manuel repeated the question, this time more slowly. “Where. Are. The. Locals? I hear much talk in the camp of a struggle, what did you do?”

Knowing full well that Algarve was now purged of aggressive natives- any natives in fact, following his example in Andalusia- he simply replied “The natives attacked us”- this was true- “but we managed to protect ourselves and our country by chasing them back and all the way to the North, over the Portugal River.

“Well then we shall follow them! I must speak with them and find what has happened over the last three centuries!” Jorge knew it was impossible to extract this information. Not only because the barbarians were too aggressive, but even more so now they were all dead… Despite this, however, he ventured: “We shall leave tomorrow then?” “Today!” Manuel responded, “I want to catch them before they spread a ruthless image of our nation.” “Don’t worry, we’ll find them” Jorge said, although very aware that the decimated tribes were situated a mere five hundred feet Westward, dumped in the sea.

“But why did you come to me? I was about to send you a messenger, Your Highness! It’s dangerous to travel alone!” Jorge wasn’t at all surprised when Manuel explained that he only needed the sacred number of 100 men to safely gain passage. The King had become quite a nutter recently, and so Jorge did what he thought was best: He gave the King a sense of security:

”4000men for you, Your Highness, and the rest for me! This way you still travel light, and I do your military worrying for you!”

Manuel was only too pleased…

ScreenSave1.jpg

Last edited:
[FONT=PALATINO_LINOTYPE]CHAPTER IX - DINASTÍA REVISADA[/FONT]

Christmas Midnight, 1501
Just South of the Portugal River

Two drunk officials- actually a King and a Field Marshall- walk zigzaggedly along the South Bank of Rio Portugal. The King trips on a stone which cedes in the loose topsoil and rolls down noisily into the water. From the ground he sings a recruitment song that shatters the silence of the night.

Field Marshall Jorge bows down and whispers…

“Your Highness, I hadn’t yet told you, I sent a hundred of our citizens to settle in Tangiers.”

Manuel widened his eyes… “To the Otherside?” he murmured.

“Yessuh, Your Highness, I got it straight: I sent them”- he raises his voice so the whole worlds can hear him- “straight over the Strait of Gibraltar.”

Manuel got up- or almost- after crashing back down onto his back he knocked his head with his jar of Jerez and chanted “Fill ‘er up!”

“I just received word, Manuel, that they have successfully converted all the exiles… I guess the desert ws too rough for them, ha!”

“So they’re now good Lusitnian citizens?” Manuel inquired.

“They’re no longer heathens, if that’s what you mean, Sir. But I hear reports that they remain unruly because of what happened…”

“You mean because of YOUR mistake! This is of YOUR DOING! GUARDS! ARREST THAT MAN!

“Manuel you’re drunk!” Jorge slapped him. “GUAAARDS!” Manuel continues, in a playful yet bordering on serious manner.

“Manuel you’re sick. I’m going to be clement you barbarian fruitcake: Go now! Swim over the Rio Portugal into the North and never come back. You are not the true King of Portugal.”

Manuel didn’t let it dawn upon him. In a playful and drunk voice he stands up dizzily…
“What are you sayng…yoknowimkingofportugalwhywoeldiwannastopbengkingofportugal?”

“Manuel, go or die!” Jorge pronounces the four last words of his life as a servant. With three dagger-stabs in the belly and five in his face Jorge’s lifetime of suppressed anger and wrath, that which even against the barbarians he had refused to liberate, he now let surface. His whole life had been at the feet of this now degradingly <slash!>decomposed <carve!> unfit ruler. He had no wife, <cut!> no children, <gash!> his Women of Pleasure never lasted him more than a week, and at the mature age of twenty-two Jorge decided his life needed a stronger basis.

So <Cut!> <Slash!> <Gash!> <Carve!> <Slice!> <Dice!> <Serve with rabbit in prune sauce!>
NOW his existence climaxed: NOW he had a future.

ScreenSave2.jpg

He decided to merge his life with that of the ”Empire” of Lusitania. His EMPIRE would be his BASIS, and his life would finally have TRUE MEANING.

Using his Godly demeanour and a great alibi of Manuel being abducted by barbarians and whimpering softly as the two of them were separated ensured that:

KING MANUEL I OF LUSITANIA WAS A WEAKLING AND UNFIT TO RULE!

HE IS NOW LOST OR DEAD!

HE. WILL. NOT. BE. MISSED!

The Lord Protector of Portugal Proper, the Emperor of the GREATEST EMPIRE THE WORLD WOULD EVER SEE, Jorge crowned himself on a raft in the good centre of Rio Portugal, as

JORGE I DA LUSITANIA

His EMPIRE would be known and feared as:

O IMPÉRIO DA LUSITANIA

And his citizens renowned as:

THE GREATEST COMBATANTS OF ALL TIME!!!

After proclaiming at top volume all of the above, Jorge I set foot on land. On HIS land by Divine Decree. He stepped as the first of the Lusitanii in over three hundred years onto the Northern Bank of RIO PORTUGAL, and in that province he would build his glorious Palace, which people would have to indebt themselves to see!

JORGE I the VENERABLE had realised his first dream, and now had to finish the second.

FROM CHRISTMAS DAY OF 1501 A WHOLE HISTORY IS REBORN!

ScreenSave3.jpg

Last edited:
This is an interesting concept...but I do have a bit of advice for you....If you post so often you don't give people much of a chance to respond...I did, for fun, an entire 400 year period and wrote many posts in a two or three day period of time....It didn't get as many responses as I had wanted....Why? Because the pace was so fast that I outstripped the ability of people to read it...There is nothing particularly wrong with posting quite frequently, you just have to expect there to be less response between posts because you don't give much time for people to so....

Spacing your posts out a little bit would help with more responses. You need to build a fan base. At your current pace there is no way I can keep up, which makes me unlikely to read this. It isn't a bad story, it is just paced too quickly for me to keep up. I think you will find it so for some others as well.

Again, just a bit of friendly advice....

And true to my word...

Interesting start. I've never played Fantasia, so I am interested to see how the game sets up.

Good luck with your new "exciteable" ruler! May he live in interesting times... :eek:

Are you planning to conquer Iberia first or expand off of Europe? Or is this subject to another "Holy" vision?

Amric makes a good point. Since I only have an hour or so to peruse this forum and I'm reading others works as well...posting more than one section of the story per day will probably be too fast for me to give feedback. I'm sure others have similar issues.

Good luck with the Reconquista!

Jorge has accomplished his first life dream... Now his ambition must push him further!
Muahahaah!

He knows of one OTHER civilisation already.
So, keeping in mind verbatim "GREATEST EMPIRE THE WORLD WOULD EVER SEE" and "THE GREATEST COMBATANTS OF ALL TIME!!!" things are promising indeed, :D

Thanks for your advice, I'll try to calm my overzealousness and to post more spaced out :)

Th

You're doing good so far.

I've never done much with Fantasia, though I may have to look at your mod as this progresses. My complaint with Fantasia is its anemic pace, but with all those extra civilizations this looks like fun.

Amric's advice is pretty good. Personally in Resurrection I aim for about 1,000 words and post when I can. Tannenberg...I think I average roughly the same, playing in 5 year stints. Too many more words and readers start fading out...I got a friendly "that was long!" once when I just went wild and slammed out something like 3,000 words. Too many less, and you're inclined to rapid post which, as he says, doesn't give people time to comment.

I'm guessing you're ready to go to war with Catalonia? Good luck!

Last edited:
Hungarian Lord said:
It's a good idea to do a fantasia AAR, good luck with it. Do the other nations apart from you and Catalonia also start with 1-2 provinces?

I've sent you an e-mail, asking for the scenario. ;)

Sorry Hungarian Lord, didn't see your post (I was writing mine in QuickReply :p)

Actually, all nations start with one province, execpt for iirc UKR and TUR because I wanted to give (a) UKR easy access to the sea (b) TUR the advantage of Moslem superpower people... Also you'll be glad to hear, I kept all original Fantasia countries (except UKR which as explained above is slightly province-modded)...

A final note, not all civs had the same starting techs, and I tried to make it historical in religions too. For example, a hu-hum...Scandinavian (I should really stop revealing this :D) civ to the very north has pagan religion and rather inferior military techs... whilst a mediterranean and very Roman-influenced civ such as Catalunya (or Catalunha whichever you prefer ;)) starts off with pretty useful (Level 5!) military techs :D

Last edited:
[FONT=PALATINO_LINOTYPE]CHAPTER X – FILHO D’ALLAH[/FONT]

Venerable Jorge looked down at the world map he had drawn. It was ridiculous. It didn’t look one bit like the real thing, and this insulted him! How can a ruler be a ruler if he cannot draw? So he decided he’d learn to draw. He’d never learn this from barbarians, but from civilised people of course! Even the tiniest mongrel of a child could draw in Gibraltar. Jorge’s impressive arrogance was only surpassed by his foolhardy spending, lately, and he’d decided an EMPEROR can only learn things in a Royal Academy! And so, he decided to make his new capital a city as soon as possible. Then he’d build his dreamed-of Palace [see previous chapter] and as a small annex he would build the largest Fine Arts Academy in the world! …of course his world was limited to the Empire and the backward Catalonian cesspool, but it was enough incentive for him!

Then he remembered that he didn’t even have one settler living in his so-called “Capital”! This daydreaming had become common for him, and it frustrated him no end.

He tore his world map into bits and put them in his pocket. Lifting the officers’ tent curtains as he exited he spotted the chance to use up his anger:
There lay, sleeping on his shovel, a young Sunni recruit. Jorge walked over and whispered to the Captain- who was supervising not his workers, but his little sack of gold- whether that little guy was supposed to be working…

The Captain started and, shaking, got up from his chair to scorn the scoundrel… But Jorge waved with his hand and the Captain sat, fearing the worst.

“You are pardoned” said Jorge as he flicked with his two forefingers. Then he turned and made for his unsuspecting prey.

HEY!

The young man awoke, and saw his Emperor staring down at him with a cruel smile on his lips. IMMEDIATELY he tried to find his shovel- the one he had fallen asleep on- and so when he found and pulled at it, he and his shovel fell heavily into the half-dug water-pit.

“You are supposed to be working, aren’t you?” Jorge said with a cruelly sweet and teasing voice… The young man could not speak, and his mouth remained open as he tried…Each breath of his blew some more dry sand and dust from through his open mouth… He had collapsed of dehydration.

“Don’t worry, perezoso, you can pack your things now, you’re going home. Take a cabalho to Gibraltar and find me four-thousand settlers to colonise this province. If you succeed…” he stopped short. Intentionally, of course, turned around as if preoccupied with some other thought, and then chased the young man away “Go! Go!”

The young man was already on horseback when Jorge’s spear pierced his chest. Ah, well now the horse would be used to violence…

The whole camp now stared as the bloody corpse plopped to ground, but Jorge just smiled and waved to them sarcastically… His expression then turned to pure hatred, pure evil, and his eyes pierced the mind of the Dark Lord himself:
ON TASK, YOU WORTHLESS SONS OF ALLAH!!!

Glad his message had well come across to the Sunni of this regiment, Jorge returned to the dumbstruck Captain: “Tell the Governors of home to send us some settlers… I know you won’t disappoint me…”

Last edited:
Jorge sounds very cruel to me. An ideal ruler to convert all teh heretics and conquer Iberia.

By the way, I think I messed something up while changin the province id-s of your file. Everything should be okay, but... do you know what may couse an instant crash when starting up a scenario? :D

Edit: Maybe I'll ask for some help in the Watk thread.

Last edited:
[FONT=Palatino_Linotype]CHAPTER XI – MULHER ESTRANGEIRA[/FONT]

In the dark and gloomy chambers of the Palácio Real do Gibraltar the rooms were cold and the corners dark. In such a corner lay a pig’s head severed and bleeding onto the lacquered parquet floors. Next to it carved into the wooden floorboards were the strangest of symbols – Sunnite by the looks of it… but Easterner Sunnite, like that of the invaders of ancient times. Was it a threat? Was it a warning?

Few noticed the symbolic appearance, and all who did thought it to be part of the décor, behind all the statues of maps of the world and of Jorge o Venerable. Next to the pig’s head lay a strangled baby.

***​

Unaware of this ghastly occurence, Jorge was preparing to leave the province of Tago, future seat of his Empire, after having heavily described to the architects how the new capital should look…

In his tent he had – once again – brought a woman. A local, it seemed: Matt black hair and a long thin face, thin arms and unpronounced shoulders which her black hair hung over, unkempt. She was short and dwarfed by Jorge’s stature, but her character befitted that of a raging animal. Her full breasts and wide hips had appealed to the Emperor, and thus had she been brought from her village – all the way to the north of Tago, near the Empire frontiers.

So great was her influence on the Emperor that minstrels often composed songs of their relationship, with always a tad of myth, evidently…

She had been brought to him by force of course
And by force was she with him again.
Though despite of herself and Jorge’s lack of tact,
There was something about him she liked,
So after the fifth visit to Jorge’s tent
She’d become rather calm and quite willing.
And she spoke him of wonders of yonder North’s plains,
And of cities the size of his own,
She told him of merchants who come from afar,
And who bring people diamonds and rings.
She sang of great sailors and whales and the sort
And she described the people she’d loved.
And through all of this Jorge grew less bloodthirsty,
Preferring the voice of the girl.
So he sliced out her voicebox and kept it enshrined,
And returned to his carnal past-time...

These minstrels quite often got imprisoned for such exaggeration of the Emperors few faults! For this reason the Lusitanian prisons became the most joyous on Earth, for neither prisoner nor warden approved of the Emperor, and so songs were quite regularly heard from the grey halls of Imperial Prisons.

Last edited:
Don-t worry Hungarian Lord
Ill send you the file this evening (ull be sleepin by then) im at school now so is quite impossible :D

Also A QUESTION TO ALL WHO READ HERE !

What is your preferred updating frequency?
I shall bend accordingly :D

And yeah Jorge is pretty Machiavellian, he is my role model ;) kidding :D

Ciao,

Thomas

AmbassadeBelgie said:
Don-t worry Hungarian Lord
Ill send you the file this evening (ull be sleepin by then) im at school now so is quite impossible :D

No need to send it again, I still have it. I just need to get it working with the other map. Hmm... I'll try somehow. But hey... EU3 is being downloaded, maybe I won't have time to mod in the coming days? :D

While I waited for the long EUIII Demo Download (Cut us a break, this is Ecuador after all :rolleyes: ) I finally completed writing the long anticipated...
[FONT=Palatino_Linotype]CHAPTER XII - A INVASÃO![/FONT]

A joint effort by Jorge's army and Vasco Da Gama's fleet (which returned to exploration at Jorge's request) had brought to the Empire precise knowledge of the homelands of Jorge's favourite wretch.

1.jpg

Despite is inhumanity and all, it seemed there were feelings present in his heart, and one evening as they dined together (they were living together on a constant basis by now) she- her name was Rafaela- described her wish to return to her homelands.

Jorge, in his intense love for her, and especially in his brutish manner of analysing matters with ethical and human conscience, immediately declared WAR on Asturias.

3.jpg

The war- the first the Empire and its people would suffer since the fourteenth century- swayed the Lusitanii but did not directly affect them: The Grand Army led by Jorge was more than enough to conquer the highly pacifist Asturianos.

Pacifist, most likely because their leader was a woman, Teresa, and Jorge had a slight despisal when faced with leading or active females. This he took as a Casus Belli, and thus lost no stability of rule whatsoever in the Lusitanian parts of the Empire. True to say, the warmongering would take its destabilising effect to the usual end with a delay of five months, when a boundary dispute between the already annexed province of Christian Oporto and the developing province of Tago would flare utter hatred on both sides, effectively splitting the Empire’s civilians’ beliefs into two groups: The Pluralist and the Lusitist (name of the Lusitanian religion).

Jorge’s march through the Asturian realm was brief, and only required a short assault of the fortified capitol and a stroll through the Eastern trading provinces (trading posts all over).

4.jpg

He rather enjoyed the lands to the East, for during his conquering stroll, not one of the natives dared attack him, and so he decided they were allowed to live by their own religion for some time to come…

But for those Oporto Christians the matters were distinct!
Jorge, in his anger, was calmed down by his soon-to-be-wedded wife, Rafaela. Instead of burning each of the six-hundred and something Christians, he recanted his belief for the purification by flame- at least towards Christians!- and sent one hundred missionaries from Gibraltar to them, instead.

7.jpg

The conversion was successful, and by the time Asturias was assimilated completely into the Empire, Jorge was already on his way to Tangiers.

6.jpg

The reason?

The Sunni scum had once again raised before their true rulers an arm that they would not lower: The arm of hate:
Four hundred good Gibraltar citizens were executed after a carefully planned encirclement by the natives (despite them having converted to Lusitanism!).

Jorge’s clemency had disappeared in the wink of an eye. He would burn- as he’d vowed before- those tumultuous pigs! Not one would be allowed to leave the province!

***​

Rafaela, through all this, had become rather objective. She had started out as an Asturiana with a strong sense of pacifism and equal rights. Now she was at the hand of Jorge, the most ruthless dictator her world had ever known!

And she liked it.

She was actually beginning to enjoy the power she gained through her soon-to-be-husband!

And knowing of the anti-Sunni beliefs her fiancé held, her plotting mind assured to pour gas on the fire.

She paid a trusted messenger while Jorge and herself were still in Tago. This man, on horseback, would rush over to Murçha and incite a rebel overthrow of the occupying conquistador forces: A four-thousand-native versus a two-thousand Lusitanii clash for the upper hand. Not a single Lusitanian survived. Not Albuquerque. Not da Corvilhã. Not even the now-so-rich messenger.

8.jpg

***​

Jorge’s wrath was coming full circle: “COME HELL OR HIGH WATER WE SHALL ERADICATE THE SUNNI SCUM FROM OUR EARTH!!!” He proclaimed, and this soon became his First Maxim.

A decimation in Murçha and an eradication in Tangiers brought Jorge’s army from 24000 men to a mere 21000, but still this- he thought- would be more than enough! He proceeded down the East coast of Tangiers until reaching the Berbers of Fez.

And WHAM, no more Berbers in Fez!

Content and readying himself for a new year (1504), Jorge went back to Gibraltar. A steady flow of colonists was developing the lands of Portugal Proper, and soon his Empire would be complete…and the integrity of his people secure.

Or so thought he, for slowly but surely, Berbers from the South were settling in the now unwatched desert lands of the Sahara. Had Jorge known this he would have starved his troops in a futile pursuit of the uncatchable nomads, and so Rafaela told him nothing of it. Two-thousand pacific (see screenshot) citizens more would make his Empire stronger, she thought. If only she could manage to convert them to Lusitanism quickly enough!

9.jpg

Though Rafaela had other things to worry about, her baby finally plopped out of her: A son, João, who one day if her prayers were answered, would take the Empire by the horns and steer it firmly North and not South like his father. A son- if she managed it- who would respect woman, abide by ethical law, and bestow a great PEACE on the nation. A PROSPEROUS peace of development of the lands that now belonged to them through his father.

Here are the lands he would have ruled, a Mappa Mundi far exceeding the usurper Manuel’s expectations!
10.jpg

[FONT=Palatino_linotype]UP NEXT: CHAPTER XIII – O PERIPLO DO HEROE[/FONT]

Last edited:
Aha! Looks like we're on the verge of finding civilization # 3! (W. France)

Hey, do all these other countries have explorer/colonizing AIs attached? If you gave them the default, they're just going to sit there.

Jorge seems not quite in control of his passions. He better be careful, or his darling wife will end up being the real ruler.

The length/timeliness of updates looks more or less spot on now. Go with what you're comfortable with!

CatKnight said:
Jorge seems not quite in control of his passions. He better be careful, or his darling wife will end up being the real ruler.

beethoven's 5th
Dumdumdumduuuuuuuum....*foreshadowing dimming of the lights*

weirdo's...
Have you noticed all the rulers of the Empire end up with psychological eccentricities/maladies? Maybe the next ruler will break the chain...

Books...
I've decided to keep record of this story in terms of Books...
BOOK I started on 1 Jan 1501, and will be completed at Venerable Jorge's death.
Then his heir (or heir and regency, undecided atm) will live Book II, and so on... I do hope to write at least ONE book :p

Trivia
Guessed where I got the name Venerable Jorge from yet? Yes! The movie The Name of the Rose (feat. Sean Connery), Jorge's (one of) the weird old guy(s) who's ABSOLUT PURITAN(imported vodka) and never laughs...

AI
Oh, and CatKnight, do you maybe have a useful format I could base myself upon? Because you're right about the AI, they colonise their national provs and that's IT...

CatKnight said:
The length/timeliness of updates looks more or less spot on now. Go with what you're comfortable with!

Yeah I finally get the technique: I have two AARs currently ongoing, one in Vicky and one in EUII... And with a short brain-destruction EUIIIDEMO AAR this morning, my time is well spent and it still remains readable.

Thanks for the support all of you, despite my quirks and (few(?)) loose screws! :D