• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 5

The Road Less Traveled

(continued)​

April 19th, 1936, 16:35 pm…Industrial District, Hailar…

It had taken an hour for the smoke to sufficiently clear from the warehouse for Major Li and his men to move in and investigate. During that waiting period, all the wounded personnel of Major Li’s command had been accounted for and had been either treated on the spot or taken to the local hospital. Cutter and Nose had been two of the later along with one man from the rear entry team with severe burns on his back.

Li Gathered Lieutenant Chen’s team together to inspect the warehouse as they had come through unscathed as they had been watching the intersections during the fire fight. They moved slowly through the warehouse from one end to the other making sure there was no one left inside, either wounded or rebels. Li had not expected to find any of the later.

Li had Chen position the men around the warehouse to secure the area while he first inspected the truck that was parked at the rear of the building. While he was in the middle of doing this, Lieutenant Chan joined him.

“Well”, said Li, “how would you rate this, a victory or a defeat?”

Chen looked into the back of the truck. “To soon to say sir. Preliminary investigation would lead me to declare this a tactical defeat, but a strategic victory. But, I would wait until we are through with the investigation before making any final conclusions.”

Li looked at Chen with some new found respect. “Exactly. So, lets see what we have here.”

Investigation of the truck revealed two crates of rifles, three crates of sub machineguns, two boxes of grenades, and six crates of ammunition. “Looks like we have grabbed a nice little haul here”, declared Li.

Chen nodded in the affirmative but had a concerned look on his face. “On the surface it would seem that way sir, but looks are deceiving.”

Li eyed Chen. “Explain Lieutenant.”

“Yes sir. If you would please follow me”, as he turned and walked towards the rear entry door. Li’s eyebrow rose momentarily, then he followed Chen.

When the were almost at the door, Chen stopped. “Look here sir. This is where the explosive was placed that incapacitated the rear entry team. Now, from what I heard outside, and what was reported by some of the other men, it was a loud explosion, yet none of the men were killed.” Chen turned and walked a few feet towards the center of the warehouse, stopped and pointed up.

“If you look up here sir, you will see a small balcony. The only way to access the balcony is this rope here. The balcony does not connect to anything related to loading or unloading of vehicles and accesses no equipment. This can only mean one thing.”

Li looked up at the balcony. “And what is that?”

“It was put there for observation purposes. If you look to the front of the building sir, you will see an identical balcony accessed by a rope. I am sure if we were to climb up to these balconies we would find camouflaged view ports to the outside.”

Li’s eyes narrowed as Chen spoke.

“If you will follow me sir.” Chen started to walk to the front of the building, not bothering to check if Li was following. Li turned from the balcony and strode quickly to catch up with Chen. As they came abreast of the oddly stacked crates in the center of the warehouse, Chen stopped and waited for Li to catch up.

“Look here sir”, said Chen, indicating the line of crates that Li and his men had taken cover behind during the fight. “Those crates were place specifically to block your view of the interior of the building until you had split your men and funneled them through the kill zones at either end.” Li’s face was starting to grow red with anger.

“And if you look here sir,” said Chen as he walked into the circle of crates in the middle and kneeled down. Li fallowed him over and kneeled next to Chen. Chen pointed. Li looked up through the perfect firing port between the crates and saw that it opened toward the side he had come around the line of crates. Chen then pointed at the other openings around the perimeter of the crates and realized he was kneeling in a fortified position.

Chen stood and pulled his bayonet. He slowly pried the top off one of the crates. He looked at Li and motioned for him to look into the crate. “Sand sir, and if you open all of these, you will most likely find the same thing. This leads to only one conclusion sir.”

Li looked at Chen, the anger burning inside him. “This was an ambush”, he growled. “They knew we were coming, and thEY BLOODY WELL AMBUSHED US!” he roared.

“Yes sir” Chen said quietly. “But that is not the worst of it.”

Li spun towards Chen. “There’s worse?”

“Yes sir” Chen said. “Look at this set up sir. They had you. Dead to rights, they had you. The rear entry team was incapacitated as soon as they spread out after coming through the door. Both you team and Cutters were in perfect kill zones, and yet only two men are hit with actual bullets. The rest are all cuts and abrasions from flying debris. Look at the front row of crates sir. You can see where their aiming point was.”

Li looked at the row of crates. Most of the rounds had impacted on the highest row, six to eight feet above the ground, and well over the heads of the Imp. Sec. Men that had sheltered behind them.

“Sir,” said Chen, “you are alive, because they want you alive. That truck is there full of weapons because they want you to have it. Sir, do you want my professional assessment of the action now?”

Li’s mouth hung open at everything that Chen had pointed out. He snapped his teeth together and slowly turned to look at Chen. Calmly, “Yes Chen, what is your assessment?”

“Sir, we just had our asses handed to us. Our men are not trained for military operations, and that is exactly what this was. We lost tactically, and strategically. And what concerns me most sir, is that our enemy, whomever it is, can afford to sacrifice weapons to make sure we keep in the game. Sir, can I ask a question?”

Li nodded.

“Who the hell are we up against?” asked Chen.

Li slowly looked around the warehouse. “I wish I knew Lieutenant, I really wish I knew.”

Chen's a sharp one! only by the end did Li realize how outmaneuvered his force had actually been.

So Li wasn`t fooled, thanks to talented Lt.Chen. I think that one day, masterfully planning "mysterious man", would be nastily surprised by Maj. Li and his men. Excellent once again, like some best action/history/detective story :)
We are one pace further into story, yet very far away from unraveling. :(

What an interesting cat and mouse scenario you've built up ! Quite Excellent ! I'm looking forward to how this will turn out , it looks like Li and his friends have a greater role in this after all !

Myth: This is where Lt. Chen's military background come in. If you remember he was with the General Staff. If not for his drinking problem, he might have been someone.

thrashing mad: Yes, thanks to Chen, Li is figuring out how bad he had been played. He would have figured it out on his own, but probably not to the extent that Chen layed out for him. Li is a quick learner, and in future updates Chen is going to prove a boon.

canonized: Li's fate is very much intertwined with the conspiracies running rampant through Manchuria. And remember, Li has some of his own axes to grind that will draw him in tighter.

rcduggan: Yes, with my work internet woes I am sure you thought you could beat me to the punch, yet viola, youz are defeated again monsieur duggan. :D

grayghost said:
rcduggan: Yes, with my work internet woes I am sure you thought you could beat me to the punch, yet viola, youz are defeated again monsieur duggan. :D
but now I am increasing my update amount x2 (or at least trying to), so I will beat you! :p

rcduggan said:
but now I am increasing my update amount x2 (or at least trying to), so I will beat you! :p

Sacre bleu, you scoundrel. Perhapz I vill update tonight and foil your nefarious plans. :D

Dorkius Maximus said:
voted for you as best new author. this aar is great! :)

Thank you very much. Now I just need to get an update in so people dont stop reading. :)

grayghost said:
Thank you very much. Now I just need to get an update in so people dont stop reading. :)
yeah, you better, or I'll boycott!!!! ;)

goes of to write own update...

grayghost said:
Abso-fricken-lutely!
A sure sign of a Babylon 5 fan! :D

I'm reading through this, finally. Sorry it's taken so long!

Rensslaer

Take your time Rens, It took me awhile to catch up with Sforza. And you are in luck since I am not able to update alot right now.

Chapter 5

The Road Less Traveled

(continued)​

April 21st, 1936…Imperial Palace, Changchun…

Pu Yi sat reading various reports when a knock came at his private entrance. Pu Yi looked up, then rose and went to the door. Opening it, the man came through the door and removed his hat.

“Good afternoon, your Majesty”, said the man.

“And to you as well sir. Please sit”, said Pu Yi, indicating a chair. After the man had sat and Pu Yi had returned to his chair, “What do you have to report?” asked the Emperor with a hint of anticipation in his voice.

The man twirled his hat on his finger, a smile slowly growing on his face. “Your Majesty, I am here to report complete success in the operation. It went perfectly, flawlessly. The funds you provided for Fitzgerald were well spent, well spent indeed.”

A wide grin spread across Pu Yi’s features. “Tell me about it, I want to know every detail”, he said, no longer able to hide his excitement.

The man proceeded to go over every aspect of the operation, stopping now and then to answer questions from Pu Yi. When he had finished with his report, “What do you think, your Majesty?”

“I think that if I were a drinking man that this would be cause to celebrate. Since I am not, the heartfelt thanks and gratitude of your Emperor will have to be enough for now. I agree with Major Fitzgerald, we need to use these men to train others. I want to create an elite force that can be used for delicate and difficult missions”, said Pu Yi.

“I concur. We will have to set up a clandestine training facility in one of the outer provinces, far away from the prying eyes of Imperial Security and the Kempeitai”, said the man, looking thoughtful.

“Where does this leave us with the current operation?” asked Pu Yi.

“That depends on Chin. I know Major Li will want to pursue this. Chin won’t have much choice. We will have to see if he sends a report to you or tries to cover it up. Li will want to submit a report, Chin, well….”, the man shrugged.

Pu Yi thought for a moment. “We will give this a week or so to see what Chin does. Then we will move forward based on his actions. Is there anything else?”
The man rubbed his jaw, “Perhaps, I am not sure”, said the man, sounding uncertain.

“What is it?” asked Pu Yi.

“I don’t know. One of Major Li’s officers seems to be looking into something, but the information I am getting back is…I don’t know.” The man shook his head.

Pu Yi looked down and frowned. “What is he looking into?”

“That’s the confusing part. Every source I have says that he is investigating the Kempeitai.”

Pu Yi’s head snapped up. “What!?”

“Your Majesty, I don’t know what to make of it. Even my sources are not quite certain what he is checking out. He is being very cautious, asking seemingly random questions. My men have not been able to gather much, but it looks like…Kempeitai”, said the man, clearly uncertain what to make of the little information that he had.

“That’s it?! That’s all you have?” asked Pu Yi with mounting concern. “Put some more resources on this. We need to know what Li’s up to.”

The man nodded slowly, “Alright. But I am not even sure if this is something we should concern ourselves with. Besides, I think whatever he was looking into has already passed.”

“Why do you say that?” asked Pu Yi.

“Because one word keeps being referred to by my men. April.”

“April? But the month is almost over. Be that as it may, give this a little more of your time just to make sure that it does not concern us” said Pu Yi with emphasis.

The man rose. “Very well your Majesty. I will direct some more resources into it, but not for long. We have to many other projects to get side tracked. Good day your Majesty.”

Pu Yi was already deep in thought. “Yes…yes, good day”, he said. After the man had left, Pu Yi turned towards the window. “What the hell are you up to Li?”

The Major and the Monarch , what interesting poles that you gravitate us with in your story , mr. grayghost ! Hope to see more soon ! I hope you're doing well too , we miss you !

hmm...how interesting. Pu Yi seemed incredibly concerned about Li's investigation of the Kempeitai. perhaps he is involved indirectly in some way...?

Story is getting more twisted and complex with each update, which is good. And it seems that there is loooong road to culmination, after all it`s still 1936 in AAR reality :D Looking forward for more :)

canonized: The Major and the Monarch, that's catchy. Thanks, it may sound sappy, but I miss the interaction as well. It has been almost depressing. Figured out a way to do updates though. I am writing them at work and e-mailing them home, then copy and paste, and presto, update! ;)
Doesn't help with my flagging readership of others AAR's though. :(

Myth:Pu Yi is worried about anything that might upset his apple cart. Since he does not know why Li is checking out the Kempeitai, it generaly worries him, plus it caught him off gaurd, didn't expect it.

rcduggan: Monseur duggan, I live to beat you to the update. Haha, take that you scoundrel. :D

thrashing mad:Yeah, I noticed that also, only 4 months have passed. If I am not careful, this may rival Tolstoy. ;)

Thanks for sticking with me guys, especially as I am not able to give you the reader support that you have come to expect from the grayghost. I have a feeling the my readership of AAR's will have to get very selective. So much for anymore FOTW awards, guess I will have to leave those to rc. :p

Next update tommorow night. Bon soi.

Tonight there will not be an update but an induction.

I have been following a few new AAR's that take place in the Chinese theatre and one is worthy of having it's author inducted into the "Warlord Club".

GeneralHannibal's

The Last Ride of the Khans

Let us welcome General Hannibal aboard as the latest member of the club.

Last edited: