• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Deo89 said:
Interesting, even through I don't think Austria might pose a big problem but are you considering to take some land off them?

I've considerably strengthened Austria, so they might be more difficult to defeat as usual. Perhaps if things don't go well, we might even see a Russian participation in the war. As for my goals, I want Bohemia and Venice should go to Italy. Although I plan to write an event that if Vienna falls and I get Bohemia, the Austrian-Hungarian empire collapses.

Middelkerke said:
Let the war begin :D

Prussian armies have to re-establish their fame after the inglorious defeat at the hands of the French. Although I doubt it will be an easy task.

Sounds like this a moment of decision.

First of all I want to apologize for the lack of updates lately. I had a lack of motivation for continueing this AAR and seriously thought about abandoning it. However, recently I loaded up the game again and at the same time I decided that I would continue this AAR, as I remembered some goals which I had set myself at the start of the game.

Expect an update Friday or Saturday.

I hope you eventually retake the land lost to France.

Good to hear you haven't abandoned this.

Part XIX: The Leadership in Germany

Although Prussia had sustained a heavy loss against France just years ago, it was wildly believed Austria would be defeated quickly. Prussia was already wildly regarded as the most powerful nation in Germany. Austria, seeing the Prussians being defeated so rapidly at the hands of the French, saw this as a chance to retake her position as the leading nation within the German confederation. Italy, who had been one of Prussia’s opponents in the war over Holland, now willing joined the Prussians in their fight against Austria, which of course was fuelled by their own interests. Both Prussia’s and Italy’s war aims were clear. Italy opted for the conquest of Venice and possibly Istria and Southern Tyrol. Prussia was far more ambitious and wouldn’t settle for anything less as Bohemia and heavy repayment from the Habsburg Monarchy. Austria’s war aims were unclear and their goal of becoming the leader of the German Confederation was vague to outsiders. It would mean a defeat of Prussia, but if the Austrians wouldn’t force any harsh peace terms upon Kaiser Wilhelm I the chances of Austria becoming the leader of Germany were extremely slim.

The South German states posed no threat to the advancing Prussian armies, as Baden and Württemberg were knocked out in a matter of weeks. Under the leadership of von Manteuffel, the Prussian II. Corps had taken the cities of Kaiserslautern, Freiburg and Stuttgart. Bavaria, just as 20 years earlier, was fighting furiously near the cities of Wurzburg and Nurnberg. The Prussians, even with the arrival of the II. Corps, had difficulties in holding the occupied cities and were repeatedly pushed back. Unless additional reinforcements from Bohemia would arrive, the Prussians would not be able to crush the Bavarian resistance.

Baden.jpg

Baden, the first of the three south German states to collapse​

The dreams of an easy and clear victory against Austria were quickly dashed as the Austrian positions in Karlsbad and Olomouc refused to crack. The Battle of Olomouc was finally resolved in favour of the Prussians and a large part of Bohemia fell rapidly to the advancing Prussian troops. The Battle of Karlsbad however continued for a couple of more weeks, when even they collapsed. Heavy losses were inflicted upon the Prussian forces, but the seizure of Karlsbad and Prague. With fresh supplies and new recruits, von Moltke was ordered to reinforce the Prussian positions in Bavaria, as the local commanders had extreme difficulties in defeating the Bavarian troops.

Olomouc.jpg
Karlsbad.jpg

The battles of the Borders, where the Austrians fiercely defended their borders against Prussian troops.​

Even before von Molte had left Bohemia, Bavaria finally signed a humiliating peace deal with the Prussians. Now all eyes were fixated on Austria, as the last of the Austrian troops were pushed out of Bohemia. In the beginning of 1867, a year after the war started, Bohemia was under Prussian control and Prussian troops were slowly marching into Austria proper. The Battle of Vienna started in January and would become the biggest battle seen in Europe since Napoleon terrorized the continent. Under the leadership of von Moltke 10 Prussian division a daring assault was launched on Vienna.

ViennaII-1.jpg

The First Battle of Vienna, in which the Austrians repulsed the Prussian advance​

The Battle of Vienna was costly for both sides, but when the Prussian losses started to rise above 50,000 men, von Moltke withdrew his troops from battle. Immediately the Austrians pursued the fleeing Prussian troops and forced the Prussians to fight another battle near the Czech city of Brno. Although the Prussians were disorganized due to fresh reinforcements filling the gaps in the Prussian lines, the Austrians outnumbered them by divisions, which were severely weakened in the Battle of Vienna. Within days the Austrian counter offensive was repulsed and the Prussians were once again marching towards Vienna, but this time with additional forces.

Brno-1.jpg

Battle of Brno, a counter attack made by the Austrians was repulsed

ViennaIII.jpg

The Second Battle of Vienna, this time successfully for the Prussians​

The second Battle of Vienna saw 17 Prussian divisions attacking the further weakened 19 Austrian divisions in Vienna. It wouldn’t take the Prussians long before they gained the upper hand in Vienna and were pushing the Austrians out of their capital. When the last of the Austrian troops fled the city and the Prussian flag was risen in Vienna the Russians approached the Prussians for an alliance, hoping to pick up some pieces from the Habsburg Empire. The offer, no matter how tempting it was for the Prussians, was refused and Prussia started to negotiate peace terms with the Austrians. The peace terms of the Prussians were harsh and required Austria-Hungary to secede Bohemia to Prussia, Venice to Italy and Austria was to pay Prussia a regular tribute for the next three years.

Prussia1867.jpg

Prussia after the incorporation of Bohemia​

Duke of Wellington said:
Well when those Austrians get uppity you sure know what to do. Glad to see this being updated once again, as usual its great. Do you have any plans to make an AAR outside of Vicky?

It's actually funny that you mention that, as this week I started thinking of doing a non-Vicky AAR and I'm currently doing some research for it. I plan to start it when either this AAR or my Russian one ends or reaching the end.

I hope you handily beat the French. If the netherlands sides with you in the Franco-prussian war, will you give them belgium back (with the exception of Luxembourg, which should be yours)?

In any case they should be severly punished and as much land taken as possible.

Another thing, If France has the territories they get from Italy, you should give it back to them after the war. After all, you should weaken France as much as possible.