• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Russia is always a good ally to have.

I've nothing else to say... good update...

Part VI: The collapse of the German Confederation

With the death of Frederick Wilhelm III the crisis, which threatened the existence of the German confederation, seemed to come to an end as his successor Frederick Wilhelm IV restored diplomatic ties with the Habsburgs and suggested to hold talks about the future of the German confederation. His ascension to the Prussian throne had a downside, as from the moment he ascended the Prussian military once again started to expand. The expansion of the Prussian military between 1839 and 1841 mostly focused on the defense of Wallonia and the Rhineland, but the second phase of expansion, however, focused largely on Silesia and the construction of an offensive army.

BeckerC_PrusSoldiers_550.jpg

Prussian soldiers in 1842​

Unlike his father Frederick Wilhelm IV started to improve the Prussian economy, but especially the armaments industry in Brandenburg and Wallonia. The Belgian Conflict had shown that the Prussian economy was unable to sustain the needs of the military, as was shown by the severe shortages of ammunition. Between 1840 and 1843 the Prussian military industry doubled the production of ammunition, yet it was not enough to sustain a prolonged war. The economical expansion was not only focused on the armaments industry. The steel industries in Wallonia and the Rhineland, as well as the textile industry and the lumber mills in Eastern Prussia were expanded rapidly. The expansions of the Prussian economy, in combination with the military expansion, were not as cheap as the Prussian King had hoped, and plunged Prussia into debt.

Zeche_Mittelfeld_Ilmenau.jpg

Prussian Industry in the Rhineland​

The Prussian Railroad Network rapidly expanded, and by November 1842 the Berlin was connected to Konigsberg in Eastern Prussia. Although the Rhineland, Westphalia and Wallonia still lacked an efficient railway system, railroads were being build connecting the various coal and iron deposits to the rapidly expanding steel industry. The Prussian military staff saw the benefits of railroads during war, as troops could now be efficiently transported over larger distances.

All seemed to go well for Prussia, but on the 19th of December 1842, the Prussian ambassador in Vienna was assassinated. Although no-one could be held accountable for his death, Frederick Wilhelm IV ordered a decree to mobilize Prussia’s reserves, war now seemed inevitable. Prussian diplomats across Germany now started their campaigns to secure neutrality of the German principalities, with average success. They had convinced a large part of the German princes to remain neutral. It appeared that only the Thüringen states, Saxony and the three bigger South German states would support Austria. On the 13th of January 1843, the Russian Tsar proclaimed to remain neutral in the upcoming conflict between Prussia and Austria.

German_war.jpg

Enemies of Prussia​

On the first of February the first Prussian troops marched into Bohemia and Saxony. The German Confederation fell like a house of cards once the war between Prussia and Austria started.

time for an anchluss! :D

After you form Germany, what do you plan for Austria?
I usually annex them after a series of wars and create sattelite states out of hungary and croatia.

Wait...

Wasn't that king friendly towards the Austrians???

What happened!?

One measly assassination!?

Sounds to me like Prussia was just looking for an excuse...

Russia seems to be a great ally... you know... declaring neutrality and everything... just like a good ally would do. :rolleyes:

Once this war is over you're going to need to get your revenge on the Russian cowards!

Akaki There will be more screenies during the war, I promise

chefportnen Later this week there will be an update.

GuyB I wish. My current plans will already push BB quiet high, and with the annexation of Bohemia-Moravia it will push the French towards war. At most I'll take the remainder of Silesia.

Dionysis In time, most likely after 1870 though. Once BB has been reduced.

Duke of Wellington A swift war would be the best solution for Prussia, although a slight prolonged war (5+ years) can be sustained, but only barely.

Walter Model An assassination a lousy reason to go to war? WW1 started because of an assassination (albeit that was the heir to the throne), but relations between Austria and Prussia were already strained, so the slightest thing could have started the war.

Wenis After the formation of Germany, if it happens, will see Austria removed, of that I'm certain. But how depends on the current geo-political situation.

joebthegreat Of course we were just looking for an excuse. Since they betrayed us in the Belgian conflict war was inevitable. Actually, Russia is not my ally (yet) and improved relations to keep them out of this war, but I'll definately ally them in the near future.

Part VII: The War of the German Confederation​

Prussia’s war plan was simple and was dependent on the speed of the cavalry. To successfully fight in Germany, Austria’s striking capabilities had to be limited and at the same time put her in a position to negotiate a favorable peace treaty. The standing army in Silesia would strike south through Bohemia and towards Vienna, while the mobilized troops would strike into Saxony and the Thüringen states. The Prussian King Frederick Wilhelm IV already had proclaimed Prussia’s goals for the war, he would become the sole ruler of the Sachsen area, which meant an annexation of Saxony and the Thüringen states.

The Prussian cavalry, as planned, quickly marched through Troppau, Olomouc and Brno. By April the Prussian cavalry started to engage in street fighting in Vienna. In Western Bohemia however things went less smoothly, as only Karlsbad was occupied and fighting took place in Budejovic. If the city fell, Prague would be cut off from Austria and occupation by the Prussian reserves seemed likely. From the 200,000 soldiers, who were called up by decree of Frederick Wilhelm, 60,000 marched towards the Saxon city of Dresden, while 50,000 were sent to Karlsbad and Plzen to defend the area against a possible Bavarian invasion.

Fighting_Bohemia.jpg

Fighting continues in Bohemia​

The remaining 90,000 troops, or 9 divisions, were sent to liberate Prague, which fell to the Prussians in June. In Vienna the brave cavalry were slowly being pushed back and a general retreat from the city was ordered, while at the same time Prussian troops from Kattowitz started their march to capture the remainder of Silesia from Austria. With Austria now having lost one of her industrial centers, and Prussian troops at the outskirts of Vienna, was incapable of offering any assistance to the German states.

Battle_Vienna2.jpg

Battle of Vienna​

Saxony was the first German nation to fall to Prussia as on the 5th of August, 1843, it became a part of Prussia. The Prussian army marched further west were the remaining Thüringen states were laying. In September the first, Saxe-Weimar, was incorporated, followed by Saxe-Meiningen and Saxe-Coburg-Gotha in, respectively October and December 1843. During 10 months of warfare, Prussia only lost Sigmaringen to Württemberg, while she had gained the entire area of Saxony and controlled Bohemia and Silesia of Austria. The war wasn’t over yet, and Prussia looked for a way to end the war quickly and gaining as much as possible.

Bohemia.jpg

The situation in December 1843​

Austria at this time was not yet prepared to accept the Prussian demands, which consisted of Austria seceding her parts of Silesia and paying war indemnities to the Prussians. Frederick Wilhelm IV, commander of the Prussian forces, was well aware that to knock out Austria the occupation of either Vienna or Münich would be required.

Very well done. Will you attack Vienna soon? And if you do, be sure to keep an eye on the border of bavaria. It looks like they are working with the Austrians for an offensive into Bohemia/Moravia.

Oh Damn it! I cant believe I missed 3 weeks of an AAR by my favourite AAR poster! :(

Anyway, gread read so far, German Unification seems to be near... I think there be one more war for that to happen... against France maybe...

YOu should definitely take BOhemia/Moravia from Austria for the coal and industry.

Last edited:
KuzuX Nothing is going wunderbar. My warplan has failed, Vienna was already supposed to be under my control.

Michaeru It might better fall to my troops, otherwise Austria will be in for a long, slow and painful disintegration :mad:

Wenis I'll attack Vienna soon, but the question is how will I attack it. I might swing eastwards, through Slovakia or alternatively I knock out Bavaria first.

Deo89 France will definately stand up against me in the future, but I doubt Britain and perhaps even Austria will stand by quietly once my forces will march into Alsace-Lorraine.

Wenis Bohemia is indeed a nice addition, but I've to be careful about my BB, as it might push France into war. And I intend to fight them again, but on my terms.

Duke of Wellington I hope so too, but my plans aren't that excessive. So hopefully the fall of Vienna will be enough to secure a peace.