• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
R. 2 la R. Team said:
Interesting changes... But France always so alone. And have you any problem to embark/disembark troops to Indochina with a fall of Djibouti? I would say with "the so far range" even with TPs alone (3000 km only if I remember right). Moreover now you could not use UK naval bases.

Well, 1936 it's starting, have fun and good luck! ;)

I used a little trick, as having no access to UK naval bases is indeed a thorn on the French Navy's side. I ordered the TPs moored in Saigon to rebase to Marseilles, and stopped their movement at sea as soon as they reached the Horn of Africa. I then ordered French troops in Djibouti to embark into the TPs stopped at sea, and then the TPs were rebased to Hanoi.

As for France being alone, well, I wanted a hard game - when I play a "classic" WW2 with France the UK's only contribution is often a few squadrons of strategic bombers clogging my airbases, so I wanted to kind of officialize the AI state of mind and add a little spice to the game and AAR.

I must say I was (and still am, as the game year is now 1944) surprised by the results I got. When I set the AI aggressiveness as "Furious", I thought that meant "insanely aggressive", and not "furiously inactive". So while I enjoyed some respite which gave me time enough to complete the transformation of French land and air forces, in the end I had to set a few things in motion myself.

Last edited:
GeneralHannibal said:
Will you help the Republicans in the civil war?

I definitely intend to have (and keep) Republican Spain at my side, for several reasons.

There are gamey reasons for that : I have trouble enough modernizing the French army without having time or resources to think about defending French Western Africa, Aquitaine, Morocco, and Algeria, and I cannot depend on Nationalist Spain to be friendly - or even to stay neutral.

There are strategic reasons : Spain is a powerful country in the making, its economy and France's can nicely complete each other, Spain has a respectable IC which means our tech teams might trade some discoveries, and our combined forces will be more than a match for many foes. Moreover, Spain can be made open to alliance talks.

But mostly, I shall defend the Spanish Republic because Spain is a democratic state, and because, sentimentally and in character with the spirit of the Conservative Cabinet I've put together in this AAR, I want our two Republics, our two old gallo-roman nations to face these troubled times together. After all, we both have enemies on the Left and on the Right, as new Romes are rising in the East.

Last edited:
Atlantic Friend said:
I definitely intend to have (and keep) Republican Spain at my side, for several reasons.

There are gamey reasons for that : I have trouble enough modernizing the French army without having time or resources to think about defending French Western Africa, Aquitaine, Morocco, and Algeria, and I cannot depend on Nationalist Spain to be friendly - or even to stay neutral.

There are strategic reasons : Spain is a powerful country in the making, its economy and France's can nicely complete each other, Spain has a respectable IC which means our tech teams might trade some discoveries, and our combined forces will be more than a match for many foes. Moreover, Spain can be made open to alliance talks.

But mostly, I shall defend the Spanish Republic because Spain is a democratic state, and because, sentimentally and in character with the spirit of the Conservative Cabinet I've put together in this AAR, I want our two Republics, our two old gallo-roman nations to face these troubled times together. After all, we both have enemies on the Left and on the Right, as new Romes are rising in the East.

Good speech. That's exactly what anyone must do to success. I feel a future glorious general! ;)

CHAPTER 8 : REFORMING THE ARMY

The Hôtel Matignon, seat of the French Government, February the 17th, 1936

Facing de La Rocque, sitting in a comfortable Louis XV armchair in the Prime Minister's office, René Nicolau, head of the French Intelligence service, was listening to War Minister Jean Fabry.

"Considering all these elements, it is my recommendation, Mr Prime Minister, that we reorganize the fortress troops that are deployed along the Maginot Line. Every Army corps there has a cavalry division which was initially supposed to act both as a reconnaissance unit and as an operational reserve should the enemy get too close to the forts. I believe, and General Le Gentilhomme concurs, that these units now contribute next to nothing to the security of the fortifications, as reconnaissance can be more easily and more efficiently done with small planes and armored cars."

"I see" said de la Rocque, making a face. He had spent his best years, after all, as a cavalry officer in Morocco. "Do you think we should disband them, then, Fabry ?"

"No sir." smiled the minister, who hadn't been surprised by de la Rocque's lack of enthusiasm at the prospect of throwing cavalry in the dustbin of military history. "I do think, though, that we should adapt these units to an offensive role, as even the defensive battles we are currently preparing for will require counter-attacks. Over the last few weeks, I've had several meetings with this persistent colonel de Gaulle, who keeps asking for the creation of armored divisions, and..."

"So you've met 'Colonel Motors', as his fellow officers call him ?" chuckled Nicolau, interrupting him."The man has been pestering every Minister for the last five years or so with his project of 'mechanized force' or whatever he calls it"

"Well", said Fabry, "he is certainly not the easiest man to deal with, I'll grant you that. But I must say I think he's onto something, René. The Maginot Line will make sure we are not defeated, granted. But what kind of force will enter German territory and defeat Germany there ? And how are we supposed to deal with Italy, which has been making threatening comments about our unfortified colonial possessions ? So, with your permission, Mr Prime Minister, I'd like to detach the tank battalions that are currently part of our infantry divisions in Reims and form two mechanized divisions, which could be used as a testbed for de Gaulle's theories and also for the various tank models we currently field. For logistical purposes and sheer practicality, I feel we need to narrow it to two or three types, ideally two."

"Well, that seems reasonable" said de La Rocque, fiddling with his glass of Cognac. "If that colonel de Gaulle's right, put him on the list for a rapid promotion. If he's not, revert tank battalions to infantry support roles and make sure he doesn't bother the government anymore. Speaking of insufferable officers, I had Admiral Darlan breathing on my neck all day about his goddamn battleship program. I understand the needs of the Navy, but there's only so much we can do for everyone ! Please, Jean, tell him I gave the green light for the accelerated replacement of all Chacal-class destroyers, not to mention the few remaining Bourrasques which I want scrapped or better, sold, as soon as possible. I want all our destroyer fleet upgraded to the Guépard standard as soon as possible, for I am not sure we could still depend on the British for convoy protection should a conflict arise with Germany and/or Italy. Now Gentlemen, I think it's time to make a little overview of our strategy for the two coming years."

De La Rocque stood up, leaning on his cane as he walked to his desk.

"We have now begun a large process of re-industrialization of the country, and notably of the parts of it that had been, by and large, left untouched by the 20th century. All that romantic stuff about farmers tending crops and tilling fields is good, but these days a country's real power is its industrial output. Salengro and I think we should encourage demand for practically any kind of good or services, through modernization of our banking laws - easier loans mean an expanding demand - and through a growth in our exports. René, I want you to recruit ex-bankers, diplomats, businessmen, and develop an economic intelligence network. Wherever a country needs something, from light bulbs to cars, I want French companies to be given an edge"

René Nicolau, enigmatic director of France's intelligence services

As Nicolau nodded slowly, digesting the news, de La Rocque went on :

"Right now, there is one commodity that various countries need. Italy needs it. Ethiopia needs it. China needs it. It's ammunition. Ordnance. Spare parts. Fuel. Gentlemen, I'm talking military supplies here. I want our military attachés to open discreet talks with officials in every country that is currently at war, plans to be at war at some point, or fears to be at war soon. If necessary, we can sell up to one third of the supplies currently kept for the French Army, Navy, and Air Force, and up to half of that for calibers about to be replaced under Fabry's standardization program. René, it's a huge gamble I'm taking here, and I want you to know I am only taking it because your service feels there's no risk of immediate war with any of our neighbors."

"I understand, mon colonel" said Nicolau, struggling to radiate an unfazed serenity he was not completely sure to feel.

"Our military attachés will also begin establishing contacts with oil producing companies, particularly in the United States. I'm ready to help American firms secure big contracts with France if they lobby their government into finding some suitable arrangement for the payment of the Great War debts. And see if we can make some kind of deal with the new Left-leaning Spanish government"

After a short pause, de La Rocque sighed "I can already hear Blum and Thorez sing me a full opera aria at the Assemblée Nationale about this Frente Popular all day long"

**********************************************************​
[Game effects : all DD I types are programmes to be rapidly scrapped, and replaced by an equivalent number of class III DDs before 1937. All cavalry units are concentrated in Reims to form a Army Corps, with the Manufacture d'Armes de St Etienne researching "Semi-Mechanized Cavalry". The two tank divisions are concentrated in Chaumont, with SOMUA researching light tank technology.

French economy sliders emphasize Consumer Goods and Supplies, with production limited to a factory and two class III DDs. A Supplies-for-Oil deal is signed with USA on favorable terms, but results in dwindling supplies.

General Le Gentilhomme is now Chief of Staff, and Maxime Weygand is Chief of Army. Admiral Darlan stays Chief of Navy, and General Joseph Vuillemin is Chief of the Air Force. René Nicolau is Minister of Intelligence]

Last edited:
CHAPTER 9 : THE SPANISH PRISONER

Madrid, the French Embassy, July the 23rd, 1936

"Allo ! Allo ! Quisiera Paris, senora. Si, Paris ! Quisiera hablar con el Hôtel Matignon, el Primer Ministro frances ! Gracias, estoy esperando" said Daniel de Villecourt, French ambassador in Madrid.

Hanging up, he turned around to face his guest, Niceto Alcala-Zamora, special envoy of Présidente Azana. The heat of this Spanish summer was next to unbearable, even more so since the embassy got news of the ongoing rebellion that had started in Spanish Morocco and now threatened to topple the Republican regime.

"Paris will call us back in a minute or so. Senor Alcala-Zamora, I feel confident that upon hearing your plea, the French government will find a way to help President Azana, if you and I manage to present a good case"

"Do you think the presence of Communist Ministers in the Spanish cabinet will be an obstacle to a French intervention, Mr Ambassador ? My sources in Paris say that since the Communists called for a general strike late March, and since the French Communist Party was subsequently outlawed in April, there isn't much affection for Left-leaning governments in the French Cabinet"

"I can assure you the interdiction of the Communist Party was seen as a last-ditch measure after it was discovered clandestine cells were preparing for armed action against the legitimate government. The Interior Ministry has explained at great lengths that such an interdiction was both limited to French territory and to the present situation, and that France did not want to outstage Fascist regimes in their anti-Communist diatribe. There's no crusade there, believe me."

As Alcala-Zamora nodded gravely, visibly unconvinced, the shrill ring of the phone brought him to more urgent matters. After having exchanged a few words with whoever was on the other end of the line, the French ambassador gave the phone to him.

Niceto Alcala-Zamora, former President of the Spanish Republic and a man desperate for allies...

"Mr Foreign Minister. Si, I and the rest of the Spanish government are safe, thank you very much. Yes, so are our families. Indeed. Mr Foreign Minister, I have been instructed by President Azana to ask your government for support and assistance, for it is our belief the Spanish Republic is now in mortal danger"

Alcala nodded approvingly, clearly preparing to make his pitch.

"Yes, and I am glad the French government thinks so, Mr Foreign Minister. We know that the rebellious officers have taken almost complete control over El Rif, Canarias and Baleares. We also know several commanders from Southern and Northern Spain have sworn allegiance to them, and are gathering forces to attack loyalist forces in Central Spain. Yes, we think they'll head to Madrid afterwards, just as the Italians Fascists marched to Rome. And speaking of Rome....yes. Yes. We are on the same page here, I think."

Next to Alcala, de Villecourt was scribbling feverishly on a notepad.

"I see. We thought the rebels would contact Italy, but what you tell me is that Germany might join the fray. Yes, we have talked to the British ambassador, our Foreign Minister is at their embassy as we speak. No offense, Mr Foreign Minister, but we thought they might be swayed by an official plea by a Cabinet member, while your government... I agree, I agree, we're way past that now. I am here to ask you that simple question, Mr Foreign Minister : what will France do in our hour of need ?"

Alcala looked grave.

"I see. I see. That would certainly help. That would mean a lot to us, Mr Foreign Minister. A lot. I understand. Still, maybe we could arrange some military mission. Ah, I understand......yes. Do I have your word for it ? Do I have the word of the French government ? Then please extend President's Azana sincere thanks to President Lebrun and Prime Minister de La Rocque. And my personal thanks, too. Of course. Of course. Yes, I understand, we both have important work to do, Mr Foreign Minister. Thank you." said Alcala as he hung up.

Looking at his Spanish guest's pensive face, de Villecourt coughed politely.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Mr Ambassador. I am pleased to tell you that the French government has heard our plea, and that your Foreign Minister just told me transportation would be arranged for supplies, which will be taken from the French Army's own warehouses, and "volunteers", who I am told will have a unusually high number of men of military experience among them. Also, the French Navy and Air Force are about to begin various exercises whose main practical effect will be to monitor rebel movements, and particularly any kind of large-scale troop ferrying from Morocco."

-------------------------​

"Is that wise, Pierre ?" asked Richemont as Laval hung up the phone.

"Well," said Laval, adressing the little group gathered around hid desk, "de La Rocque's decision was quite clear. It was also quite final, gentlemen. No official support, no expeditionary force, but barring that we must do everything we can to support the Spanish Republic as if it was the French one."

"These decisions will leave our forces with barely a few weeks of ammunition " said General Le Gentilhomme "May God have mercy on us if war breaks out with either Germany or Italy."

"Germany isn't ready for war with us yet - its eyes are set on easier pickings right now." said René Nicolau, getting an approving nod from the Foreign Minster.

"As for Italy," said Laval, "the Prime Minister and I think it's a risk worth taking. I don't have to remind you having a third hostile power threatening our borders or colonies would be the kind of straw that break a lot of French camels. And" he added in a meaningful way "I doubt anyone in this government would survive it. Gentlemen, the decision has been made, we all have to live with it - and make it work. René, I think you wanted to make a few suggestions ?"

"Well, yes, some unconventional ones, of course" said Nicolau, as the others rolled their eyes. Nicolau always enjoyed playing the enigmatic know-it-all. "My suggestions involve American oil, Spanish rebel General Mola, and a healkthy dose of French duplicity..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------​
[Game effect : Having outlawed Communist parties on April the 3rd after several 'General Strike' events, the French Conservative Government faced its first big challenge in Spain. Out of Republican solidarity, and because it already had its fair share of hostile neighbors, France decided to help Republican Spain with supplies and volunteers. As a result of that decision, and of subsequent deals supplies-for-oil deals with Republican Spain, French supplies took a real nosedown, falling under 600 and dwindling rather quickly. The new factories would be most welcome indeed !

The UK went for non-intervention, while the USSR, Germany and Italy all decided to send volunteers. As a result, France chose to guarantee the independence of Republican Spain in August 1936, a move that clearly was meant as a warning to Italy.

The two tanks divisions (now upgraded to AMX-R-40) were moved to Grenoble so as to deal with potential Italian agression. The Cavalry Corps (partially upgraded to Cav 1939) was redeployed to Pau in case the Nationalist AI went crazy. French naval squadrons were deployed near La Coruna, Spanish Morocco and Seville. Anti-tank brigades were put into production for a dozen divisions along Germany's border.

In october, 1936, France had become a serious oil distributor in Europe. In a slightly surprising move, Nationalist Spain offered France a rather favorable Supplies-for-Oil deal, to the point of completely covering my Supplies-for-Rare Materials deals with Republican Spain. Thus for a few months Franco directly supplied Republican troops while pressure on French stocks was (at long last !) eased.

France's Air Force began fielding MB-152 interceptors (good, inexpensive crates if not top-notch technology) and Leo-451 tactical bombers (also good crates all around) around Autumn, 1936, upgrading squadrons oh so vehehehehehehery slowly]

Last edited:
What a splendid AAR you have going, Atlantic Friend! I enjoy both your writing and the excursion into alternative history. I eagerly anticipate your next update.

Vann

Vann the Red said:
What a splendid AAR you have going, Atlantic Friend! I enjoy both your writing and the excursion into alternative history. I eagerly anticipate your next update.

Vann

Why, thanks a lot, Vann ! This AAR probably won't be as action-packed as some of the best ones I read (like 'The Cobras are smoking' and 'For King and country'), as the AI seems to have "furiously" fallen asleep, but I'll try to keep it both accurate and enjoyable for every reader.

Yay! More updates!

Good to hear about the modernation of the army. Tell Darlan he doesn't need those big antiquated steel monsters anymore...

I assume that the current government will have to try to explain to the people (or at least parliament) about its support for a more leftist government? Could be an interesting speech...

Did you have any plans if the Nationalists in Spain start winning?

Good luck,
Still subscribed!

TheExecuter said:
Yay! More updates!

Good to hear about the modernation of the army. Tell Darlan he doesn't need those big antiquated steel monsters anymore...

I assume that the current government will have to try to explain to the people (or at least parliament) about its support for a more leftist government? Could be an interesting speech...

Did you have any plans if the Nationalists in Spain start winning?

Good luck,
Still subscribed!

Sorry for the delay, I lost my notes and had to go through the History on the computer all over again.

Well, the battleships ARE damn expensive, that's for sure. But Darlan DOES have a point when he feels he needs new ones, as France is set on a very possible collision course with Italy, and naval dominance in the Mediterranean could be a deciding factor, especially for France which has to maintain commercial ties with its extensive colonial empire. The Marine Nationale won't go very far if it sends its venerable Océan and Paris WW1 BBs fight Italy's brand new 1930s-vintage Littorio and Vittorio Veneto. And French naval air is still non-existent, apart from the LeO 451s.

I'll try to think of a suitable speech, either to announce French support to Republican Spain or to tell a stunned nation what were the results of said support. Sometimes it is easier for a right-leaning government to announce left-leaning measures (and conversely), as they can say "look, if we, anti-liberals as you know we are, feel this must be done, then rest assured it MUST be done". I'll have to browse through de La Rocque's biography, though, to find the right words.

As for Nationalists taking the upper hand, at this point, I was ready to send expeditionnary forces (the Cav and tanks) to help defeat Nationalist Spain, but still hesitant to openly commit France, as I didn't want to trigger a declaration of war from Italy or Germany. My next updates (maybe tonight, more probably tomorrow morning) will cover the Spanish civil war and its outcome.

Last edited:
The further left, the better.

Atlantic Friend said:
As for Nationalists taking the upper hand, at this point, I was ready to send expeditionnary forces (the Cav and tanks) to help defeat Nationalist Spain, but still hesitant to openly commit France, as I didn't want to trigger a declaration of war from Italy or Germany. My next updates (maybe tonight, more probably tomorrow morning) will cover the Spanish civil war and its outcome.

I did it for my first and lone AAR (send two or three Cav's divs) and there's no trigger or dow (but I was not in Furious option ^^) but I can't catch them after, Spain seemed fall in love of them...

Anyway, in my old' AAR Republicain Spain was my first military partner against evil foes!! Hope it would same for you. ;)

Things seem to be becoming rather autocratic in the good ole republic.

Viva la France!

Hope the Republic survives (in Spain).

CHAPTER 10 : NO PASARAN !

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Republican Irregulars prepare to go to battle

A small hamlet near Valencia, September the 25th, 1936

As often before combat, Manuel Itubarri was having a fit of "trench jitters". He admired those of his men who just sat and waited for the enemy artillery to finally shut up, seemingly unconcerned. That was a skill he never could master. But Itubarri had quickly learned to master the next soldier's trick when enemy shells rain down on you and you know the end of it will mean an enemy assault of your position : anger. Wherever there was action, Itubarri could be seen muttering insults between clenched teeth.

"Goddamn it, how many more guns and ammo do you have ? Stop shelling me, you yellow bastards, and come up close if you dare, come and get it, come and get it, and I swear I'll have your guts for supper..."

The outbreak of the civil war had surprised Itubarri in France, where he worked in an assembly line for car-making firm Renault. Upon learning of the Fascist coup taking place in Spain, Itubarri had immediately volunteered to be part of the International Brigades Republican Spain was forming. Half of the "Brigadistas" volunteers were drawn to the fight by sheer romanticism, and half for political reasons. For Itubarri, proud member of the now clandestine French Communist Party, it had been a mixture of both, and also a way of taking a powder before the French police could come ask tough questions about an attack on the Saint Etienne weapon factory to steal rifles last May.

Itubarri's military service in the Spanish army, and his mastering of the French language, had allowed him to to take command of a "battalion" of the International Brigades, which really meant he more or less had a company. This company, he called "Joseph Staline" out of spite for Nationalist troops, was composed of Spaniards, Frenchmen and Walloons with various degree of military experience. They had been engaged in various operations, generally defending hastily made positions against Réquétés, the Nationalist light infantry.

Things had been pretty hairy at first, as regular Republican forces, already weakened by lack of credits before the war, had been severely disorganized by the departure of many officers who switched sides. At first, pay had been almost non-existent and irregular, food had depended on how many chicken his men could steal on neighboring farms, and tobacco had been so scarce men tried to make some substitute for it with hay and various plants.

Now things were slowly getting better, to the point where Itubarri actually had to look for things to grumble about. For one thing, more volunteers came from all over the world, driven by Republican and Soviet propaganda. After some pretty close calls, Republicans had held their ground in the Pyrenees, meaning supplies from friendly countries could come through France and reach the frontlines much more regularly. People were also sending money that served to pay the soldiers, their food or their equipment.

The problem was, things were also getting better for the enemy. In various occasions, tanks and modern planes had been engaged by the Nationalists, and it was widely known that Italy had sent thousands of regular soldiers under the guise of "volunteers". Itubarri's company had been bombed by Nationalist planes two weeks before, as they were deployed to plug a hole in Republican lines, and since then he had decided he hated aviators more than artillery crews. At least you could hope to break through and rout enemy artillery, while the bombers' crews were killing civilians in complete impunity. Sodding cowards, the lot of them thought Itubarri.

Both sides were now heavily depending on foreign supplies, volunteers and weapons to win the civil war. As these required the control of Spain's major ports, both the Republicans and the Nationalists were mounting offensives to take control of the Spanish coastline. Republicans were currently attacking Séville, trying to cut Franco's forces in mainland Spain from those in Morocco, Canarias and Baleares. And Nationalists were now attacking Valencia, to control Spain's biggest Mediterranean port and strangle Republican trade with allies and neutral nations.

"You call yourself "Nationalists" ? Ha ! Fascists, that's what you really are", scowled Itubarri for the umpteenth time

Republicans launch a counterattack in central Spain

Muttering under his breath, Itubarri suddenly realized the Nationalist artillery had fallen silent. Still dazed by the shelling, he looked around him to assess the damage. The hamlet and the trenches built around it had taken quite a beating. Turning to the old fortified farm at the outskirts of the hamlet, he could see the top storeys had collapsed, burying under tons of debris two of his machine-gun crews. Trench A was cut by artillery craters in at least two locations. Several houses had also been hit. Now that his sense of hearing came back to him, he could hear wounded men screaming somewhere behind him.

It could be much, much worse thought Itubarri. At that moment he heard the bugles and whistles signalling the Réquétés were on the move.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Game effects : Shortly after the outbreak of the civil war, Nationalist Spain controlled almost all of Spain's Atlantic coastline, plus Tarragona, the Baleares, Canarias, and of course Equatorial Guinea. Republicans held the Euzkadi, central Spain, and almost all of the Mediterranean coast.

From what I could gather, the Spanish Navy had defected almost to a ship - not that Franco seemed to do much with it, as the last time I saw the ships they were heading for the Canarias, probably to protect Nationalist convoys supplying the islands.

Jumping from Tarragona, the Nationalists attacked Valencia, while Republican troops were gathering menacingly around Séville. German-looking tanks took Bilbao, but failed to take Huesca, leaving the Franco-Spanish border open for Republicans.]

Last edited:
stnylan said:
Things seem to be becoming rather autocratic in the good ole republic.

A tad. I hesitated before banning the Communist Party, but since I kept having these "general strike" events I thought I'd go for it. Given the kind of Conservative Cabinet, and since the Communists haven't participated to any kind of government at that time, I thought it was plausible.

Historically, France banned the Communist Party after the ratification of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. Interestingly enough, after France' defeat in 1940, the Communists asked the German occupation authorities the permission to resume their activities.

A great, historically accurate AAR. I've been tempted to do France myself after reading 'To lose a battle: France 1940' by Alastair Horne, which details the reasons why France fell in 1940. It goes into quite some detail about the French government and its generals, and it's nice to see some of that in your AAR.

Please do enlighten us about the fates of Gamelin, Pétain and Leclerc!

(Also, did you know that Belgium was a French ally well into 1936, and it was the new Belgian king who broke it?)

oddman said:
A great, historically accurate AAR. I've been tempted to do France myself after reading 'To lose a battle: France 1940' by Alastair Horne, which details the reasons why France fell in 1940. It goes into quite some detail about the French government and its generals, and it's nice to see some of that in your AAR.

Please do enlighten us about the fates of Gamelin, Pétain and Leclerc!

(Also, did you know that Belgium was a French ally well into 1936, and it was the new Belgian king who broke it?)

I would recomend:
Stange Defeat, Marck Bloch
The Blitzkrieg Legend: The 1940 Campaign in the West, Karl-heinz Frieser
Strange Victory: Hitler's Conquest of France, Ernest R. May

Horne is very readable but not the best as far as solid history goes he tends to be a little too pro-British. Atlantic Friend can probably give even better suggestions on the subject.

Mooses, Oddman, and everyone of you guys : Thanks a lot for stopping by and reading this AAR. I can only hope you will have as much fun reading as I have writing it. I'll try to add historical pictures later to illustrate the chapters - it will be a long story as the "big deflagration of 1940" never happened like it did in real life, leading to a 1945 Europe that is VERY different but just as frightening. I intend to play until 1954, maybe even beyond, so there'll be updates for months to come, probably.

Oddman : I certainly won't forget the French chiefs of staff, as I have plans for quite a few of them.

As for Belgium, yes, the country abandoned its alliance with France in 1936, partially because of general van Overstraeten's influence on the King IIRC. I chose to keep Belgium neutral, as it forced me to wriggle my way around yet another problem. Will I attack Belgium to force open the way to Germany ? Will I coup the nation ? Will I play good neighbor and get ready to help ? Stay tuned !