• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"The war to come", uh?

Goebbels as subtle as always... What is going on in good old Joe's mind...

Tonight, the fact Kellermann had made sure the street vendor got paid for his hot soup and roasted grains coffee instead of "requisitioning" the old man’s food and money made the SA squad leader, in Munzer's opinion,

Ooh. This is a very nice touch. This bit in general was top notch.

Lovely update - and great to see Basil Rathbone!

Great update, AF. Basil Rathbone is cool and the atmosphere and historical detail is tremendous.

So, only January '39, no Molotov-Ribbentrop as yet and Goebbels has already been given the go-ahead? Who was said that a conqueror is like a cannonball, he keeps going or he's nothing? I get the feeling the pre-war era is heading into the endgame at speed. Still a few players who've yet to choose their places - the Soviet Union is the big one, but there's also Hungary/Romania/Yugoslavia, not to mention the Dutch and the Belgians.

I tought he meant to give him the position of directing that fottage of supposed Polish attack on German positions, that Germans used as one of pretexts when DoW-ing Poland.

Great update, AF. Basil Rathbone is cool and the atmosphere and historical detail is tremendous.

Thanks! Browsing through the actors and actresses of the 1930s was cool - I had half a mind to feature Ronald Reagan in the Festival scene, but I dropped it. Rathbone seemed more credible - Reagan starred in a movie in 1938, but I doubt Nazi officials would have known him by 1939. Rathbone, on the other hand... and well, his past as an intelligence officer didn't hurt.

So, only January '39, no Molotov-Ribbentrop as yet and Goebbels has already been given the go-ahead?

Germany is certainly going to need to reach some kind of accommodation with Russia - either that, or it'll need to eliminate Russia from the equatiosomehow. I'd say that with Japan an Axis member, Stalin is bound to be more cautious than in OTL, but that still leaves him with a lot of maneuver room.

Who was said that a conqueror is like a cannonball, he keeps going or he's nothing?

Probably someone who didn't like the daily task of ruling the conquered lands and making them prosper!

But the Third Reich doesn't have much of a choice in the matter, the Mefo financial timebomb is ticking, and the régime is unlikely to lose face.

I get the feeling the pre-war era is heading into the endgame at speed.

It is. 1939 is the year of living dangerously!

Still a few players who've yet to choose their places - the Soviet Union is the big one, but there's also Hungary/Romania/Yugoslavia, not to mention the Dutch and the Belgians

One of them has already chosen, actually - Hungary became a full Axis member after the Anschluss debacle, one of von Brickendrop's redeeming feats.

The Netherlands have taken a few steps towards Germany with the inclusion of the NSB. Belgium is still fiercely neutral, fully trusting neither France nor Germany.

Yugoslavia will get its own update, and so will Romania.

Another great update as usual. Thanks AF.

Now, could you do an update on organized crime, especially the Cosa Nostra? With Il Duce gone, there's really no significant opposition to them any longer in Italy? So, what are they up to? And how does the OTL war-time capos like Lucky Luciano fare in Crossfires TL? And what of the Yakuza? The triads?

Another great update as usual. Thanks AF.

Now, could you do an update on organized crime, especially the Cosa Nostra? With Il Duce gone, there's really no significant opposition to them any longer in Italy? So, what are they up to? And how does the OTL war-time capos like Lucky Luciano fare in Crossfires TL? And what of the Yakuza? The triads?

Another interesting angle. Some members of the French organized crime, as we've seen in the updates about the assassination of Mussolini, serve as part-time helpers for the SDE. The American branch of organized crime should be interesting, particularly with Latin America in turmoil...

Okay, I'll keep that idea for a coming update. Next chapter should be British in flavor and Asian in scenery, and I'll add a little glimpse of the French Presidential election since we've enjoyed a flurry of votes lately.

Next stop : Malaya!

May I suggest a helpfull guide in your first post so new readers can catch up a bit easier? I've just went through the first half of what you wrote and its seem well written so far. It should have even more readers :) You have a real gift for detail.

Also, poor Netherlands :( trowing in their lot with the NSB.

May I suggest a helpfull guide in your first post so new readers can catch up a bit easier?

At 90+ chapters, I'm afraid you're right, it's becoming rather messy. I'll try to devise something that's clear enough and complete enough.

I've just went through the first half of what you wrote and its seem well written so far. It should have even more readers :) You have a real gift for detail.

Many thanks!

Also, poor Netherlands :( trowing in their lot with the NSB.
[/QUOTE]

For the time being, at least. It's, with Norway, the country for which I had the most fun imagining ahistorical twists.

A little election update while the Singaporean update is slowly cooking:

- PSF (Prime Minister François de La Rocque) : 49.4%
- PSR (Congressman Léon Blum) : 38.5%
- PCF (Former Congressman Maurice Thorez) : 6.9%
- Action Française (Field-Marshal Philippe Pétain) : 5.2%

It looks like the once-powerful Action Française has lost considerable appeal among French voters, not to mention a good part of its potential electorate.

One vote for Blum! For true Democracy!(tm)

A vote for Blum.

Weren't we supposed to vote via pm?