• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for the diary.

Looks great.
Two minor things I think can be improved:
-Shores sink to steep into the sea, maybe reduce the 'angle' a little.
-Icons on the left (battles? and stuff), IMO, are not of the same quality as the rest of the interface.

Q: Is colonizing a micromanagement nightmare similar to EU2?

King of Men said:
Speaking of islands, is there any chance of the next update dealing with naval range, combat, and bases? It would be really cool if the basing system from V:R was used.

agree

fat said:
Q: Is colonizing a micromanagement nightmare similar to EU2?

I am all pro-micromanagement as I like no wars and peace time can be kind of boring on EU2. I think nevertheless that some automatization could be nice with colonization. Some nice ideas has been heard about it in the forum.

BTW. this map has little to do with the first screenshots we got. kudos P'dox.

Persoanlly, I think it's a shame that EU3 will be using the same approach as EU2. For me, the big flaw in EU2 colonization was the exploration process, whereby explorers were able to find 10 times as much as they could hidtorically, and you actually guide their mission.

And as soon as you discovered a place, you could start colonizing. Even if the expedition had not returned yet. Even if the expedition NEVER retruned.

A more flavourful expression of the risk involved in financing these early explorations would have been to have expeditions go with your 'instructions' (east, south-west, explore the Caribbean etc). Then, when (if) the expedition returned, the knowledge it gained would become available to you.

I realise this would have had less for the micro-managers to do, but for me it would have captured more accuracy and flavour.

Also, I don't think it should take "1 days" to colonize anywhere., even a neighbouring province.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to buy it and play it! :D

MattyG said:
Persoanlly, I think it's a shame that EU3 will be using the same approach as EU2. For me, the big flaw in EU2 colonization was the exploration process, whereby explorers were able to find 10 times as much as they could hidtorically,
Conquistadores maybe, but not explorers. Columbus crossed the atlantic witha a mere three ships, Da Gama went to India wtih four. Doing the same in EUII never worked (not for me at least). The exploration system was unrealistic yes, but not because they could discover too much.

MattyG,

Both myself and MrT forwarded similar ideas, but they were deemed too complex, and scrapped in favour of the current system.

The idea of only 1 form of colonies is very disheartening. What occurred in North America and South America I can see being shown the same way. But, how about the trading colonies of portugal in the Pacific? What about the colonization of india that was very much so based on enclaves of europeans during this time. Are trading enclaves, which was the route of colonialism everywhere except the Americas during this time period in the game? I suppose they aren't?

Exploration and colonization is a huge disappointment for me.

In addition, my main fear on the "colonies switch hands without peace" is that the AI won't grasp when it's winning or losing a war. In CK it's nearly impossible to make peace with the AI religious enemies because the provinces change hands and thus don't impact warscore. It results in the annhilation of the muslims and byzantines early and often.

Hmm, I still remember my password even tough the last time I used this account was in febryary. Nice to see that no one hasnt still deleted this account. :D

Mieszko said:
Could you please also tell something about how colonies grow into cities? I am sadly a bit disappointed to see that the old micromanaging hell that colonizing has always been is still there. Click a colony, send a colonist, repeat 9 times -> you have a real city/province. Is this still the case in EU3 or do you need only to send a colonist ONCE to gain control of the procinve and then it evolves completely on its own (a bit faster than in EU2)? This would definitly make controlling a great colonizing empire like Spain a bit easier to play.

Ok, this is what made me to write. I also think that the old way to colonize provinzes has a feeling of micromanaging. And I think Mieszko made good point here but I would ad there something. Player should still have a possibility/ability to choose witch colonies are growing fastest. Instead of sending new colonist again and again it would be easier to priorize some colonies above the others so these "chosen colonies" would grow faster (like in the case you would send there more colonists).

Duuk said:
In addition, my main fear on the "colonies switch hands without peace" is that the AI won't grasp when it's winning or losing a war. In CK it's nearly impossible to make peace with the AI religious enemies because the provinces change hands and thus don't impact warscore. It results in the annhilation of the muslims and byzantines early and often.

What he said. If I'm fighting Spain, and seize the Carribean, I'd like the option to give it back in return for peace without having to fight on the continent.

And conversely, I would also like to be able to recover my colonies during peace talks--if I (as, say, the French) lose Canada fighting the English, but have occupied London, they should cough it up. I don't want to have to spend two years of whack-a-mole colonial fighting to get the country back.

If the system can addess these complaints, I'd feel better.

joak said:
Duuk said:
What he said. If I'm fighting Spain, and seize the Carribean, I'd like the option to give it back in return for peace without having to fight on the continent.

And conversely, I would also like to be able to recover my colonies during peace talks--if I (as, say, the French) lose Canada fighting the English, but have occupied London, they should cough it up. I don't want to have to spend two years of whack-a-mole colonial fighting to get the country back.

If the system can addess these complaints, I'd feel better.
This was my second thought on reading about this feature too. (My first was "sweet!" :)) Can we maybe have a word of reassurance from on high that colonial conquests still count (somehow) in peace negotiations?

Edit:
hurricanehunter said:
I love the new map. I was a skeptic at first, but damn its pretty.
+1
Phil

An obvious question I know, but presumably once the colony reaches a population threshold (like 1000 in 1.09 eu2) it gets treated just like a regular province for war and peace?

Nice trade map et al... :)

Btw, in peace negotiation can both sides give territory to other? I dont if there is a similiar trade system in Eu III like in Victoria where you can change provinces for technology or just cash but it would make life easier in multiplayer games. :rolleyes:

Ville511 said:
Btw, in peace negotiation can both sides give territory to other? I dont if there is a similiar trade system in Eu III like in Victoria where you can change provinces for technology or just cash but it would make life easier in multiplayer games. :rolleyes:

I'd love that! Seconded!

tripp_trap said:
I'd love that! Seconded!
I think it was mentioned as being in (for land trade anyhow) a while back. :)

Hi everyone, I've been reading forum for a long time but that's my debut as a member :)
I'm waiting impatiently for EU III and think it'll be great one while watching Paradox' excellent job here.

I decided to write cos I found sth very interesting in seizing and burning colonys.
Could it be possible to lift a siege on a city owned by another country (or just rebels), reduce it to colony size, than seize it and finally
burn the former city and make it possible to colonize gaining your own culture and faith there :confused: :eek: :confused:
That would be sth completely new ...
DoW Ireland in the beginning of the game seize their provs lacking fortresses which are cities/colonys? and burn them to the ground. After that only thing to do is simply send a colonidt there. Of course It wouldnt be fair game, but if it's possible players will do that for sure. Could it be possible ?