• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Its almost two weeks since we last put out a development diary. Last week we simply were too busy to even take the thirty minutes of putting together a small update like this. Of course we can’t hold off these things indefinitely though.

The mapteam have worked a lot on removing the legolook of the political map, and split squares up into sub triangles wherever possible. Meanwhile, our interface focus have been on enhancing tooltips, and colorizing a lot of numbers into green and red depending on context and value. Also, a lot of mapmodes have gotten expanded features. The new metaserver is coming along nicely, and the new registration system is now ready. Gamebalancing is going along nicely now, and the new difficulty system is implemented, which exports all bonus/maluses for everyone.
We’ve started working on the tutorial now, and hope it should provide an easy route for new players into the game. This means we are pretty much feature complete now, and will focus on bugs and AI from now on..

eu3_nov_8a.jpg

Here we see russia about to colonise the far east. Basically, the system work similar to EU2, except that we removed the paint-the-map-marker formerly known as trading posts, and instead made colonists slightly cheaper. However, there are now two new flexible options when at war. Burn colony, which lets you completely eradicate that enemyowned colony from the map, while also damaging your reputation. You can also seize a colony immediately during a war, which makes it yours permanent directly without waiting for a peace negotiation.

eu3_nov_8b.jpg

Today, we actually added a second little screen for you all to see. This is in the trade mapmode, where you can see the different tradezones. It also depicts with black stripes, which provinces have owners that are refusing us trades.

Johan said:
You can also seize a colony immediately during a war, which makes it yours permanent directly without waiting for a peace negotiation.

Nice. :D

no strait :( hope we'll get info about that later...

otherwise a nice diary :D

Johan said:
It also depicts with black stripes, which provinces have owners that are refusing us trades.
Nice addition. The anchor in the colonisation screen looks a bit weird though, seems to come out of nowhere.

EDIT: will there be something like a factory to replace the TPs? Would be great for simulating colonisation in Asia.

Could you please also tell something about how colonies grow into cities? I am sadly a bit disappointed to see that the old micromanaging hell that colonizing has always been is still there. Click a colony, send a colonist, repeat 9 times -> you have a real city/province. Is this still the case in EU3 or do you need only to send a colonist ONCE to gain control of the procinve and then it evolves completely on its own (a bit faster than in EU2)? This would definitly make controlling a great colonizing empire like Spain a bit easier to play.

Johan said:
The new metaserver is coming along nicely, and the new registration system is now ready.

Propably the best news of the diary along with ability to steal colonies without peace deals.

Super cool, any time you have the time for a diary entry you know there are people who appreciate it greatly. Its just looking awsome, that shot of Russia is so close to Japan, personally I would love to see how Japan is organised this time around...

More developed colonial entities - sweet.

Little maps on the trade map so you can tell what is what - sweet.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nicity niceness nice.

Is there now some upgrade to garrison colonies?

Still looking like lego... and looks like it is finished now :(

The topography of the 3D map is great, the coastlines ok, but this square province borders really hurt my eyes... am I the only one?

I dont know nothing about programing, 3D engines and stuf, but is it that dificult to make then soft like EU2?

This whole colonies being seized without a peace deal thing has me wondering...will we be able to offer things for a peace that the enemy neither has cores on nor occupies? Because lots of colonies were seized and then returned in peace deals...I'm thinking of things like in the Caribbean and such.

I love the new maps.

What's the difference between agressiveness and ferocity, if we may know it?

e_maiwald said:
This whole colonies being seized without a peace deal thing has me wondering...will we be able to offer things for a peace that the enemy neither has cores on nor occupies? Because lots of colonies were seized and then returned in peace deals...I'm thinking of things like in the Caribbean and such.
That happenned mainly in the XVIIIth century. Hopefully in the game by that time they'll be cities and not colonies (by game standars, I mean).

I like the colony thing as well. I hope the AI will be able to take advatage of it, though. I don't think it did a very good job of defending its colonial buildings in Victoria :(

Is the system like the ToT setup in EU2 or do we have to declare (colonial?) war to seize enemy colonies?

Are these horrible 'small flags' (in provinces and over armies) going to be in the final version or will they become similar to the truly 3D province flags?

Nice. I hope the Ai will be intelligent enough to protect its colonies, otherwise it will be too easy to eliminate competitors from New World..

Thanks for this developement diary!
The map graphics do become better and better.

Although I hoped for a new colony system. This still sounds like too much micromanagement.