• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(37096)

Lt. General
18 Badges
Dec 21, 2004
  • Divine Wind
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
belgiumcoa2ecedavs3.jpg

I can not believe that I am about to do this but I have decided to launch another AAR. Writing my Swedish WC AAR was very enjoyable but it was also a learning process and some of the mistakes I made in preparing the AAR (namely the image host I chose) left me disappointed with the final product, so I have decided to do the same style AAR over so that I’ll have an AAR with pictures to mention in my signature.

The game will be played on Old Vicky 1.04 (no Revolutions) which means that I will have to micromanage my economy. Fortunately I have an established history of successfully managing a Victorian economy. :rofl:

The house rules will be my standard rules.
-No annexing China as an Unciv in a single war (unless it is the last nation left)
-Native soldiers may only in police duties (in their original sphere), or operations against a bordering nation of their original territory. That means no Korean troops invading Mexico
-No established exploits
-No F12 (except badboy of course)

Any other suggestions on House Rules are of course welcome. The first course of action in any Belgian game is to resolve the war of independence. I haven’t read the event, but if memory serves me correctly all you need to do is capture two Dutch provinces to trigger the recognition of Belgian independence event. So here’s the plan.

jan11836battleplansa5.png

I already have troops in Liege, so I am sending a division to both Middleburg and Arlon. Hopefully that will be enough to trigger the event. I am sending the final division to defend Antwerp. Lastly I mobilized the entire Belgian reserve army (1 division).

Well I missed your Swedish AAR, so I better catch this one instead.

The Belgian War of Independance

The war of independence, and indeed this entire AAR started out on the wrong foot with the battle of Antwerp. Belgian forces were all around 7000 men, so naturally I reinforced them all. The problem with this is that when my defense force arrived in Antwerp they were still too disorganized for the fight, and thus the first round went to the Dutch.

jan161836battleofantwerdx6.png

The next battle was in Middleburg where we arrived unopposed and began to occupy the city when the Dutch attacked. This time we were a little better organized, but in a one on one fight, we’ll have to wait and see.

feb91836battleofmiddlebxl2.png

While the battle of Middleburg rages on, and the Belgians are retreating from Antwerp, the first real good news arrives from Arlon and Liege where Belgian forces have finally captured the cities. The two divisions are ordered to merge at Liege, and then drive north to Maastricht.

feb181836arlonandliegecapturedij6.png

At Maastricht the Belgians outnumber the Dutch 2 to 1, so we may get to see our first military victory of the war, which is good because things don’t look to promising in Middleburg.

march181836battleofmastnn2.png

march241836battleofmiddxs9.png

While the Belgian army was trying to move forward the Dutch started a counter attack out of Antwerp towards Ghent. By this time the reserves had been mobilized, so two divisions were sent from Brussels to relieve Ghent. After successfully beating the Dutch, they then race back towards Brussels which was being threatened by the Dutch. The plan is to save Brussels, and then try to liberate Antwerp.

april171836afterghentzc4.png

And so it came as surprise to me, while I was completely immersed in the war of independence when it suddenly ended (rather anti-climatic I know). The event fired for the recognition of Belgian independence, and Belgium gained Arlon and Liege

Last edited:
good start and nice title

Survived the first hurdle.

"You've got to break some eggs, if you want to make a Belgian Waffle!" :rofl:

Jumping right into it, I see!

Rensslaer

I think anyone who read my Swedish AAR knows what's coming next ;)

The Second Dutch War

I must admit I was a little disappointed when the peace event fired because I was rather enjoying the Belgian war of independence, so I did what anyone would do in that situation.

startofthesecondwarzl7.png

This time I had a more concrete strategy in mind. I brought all my troops together into one army, and would march them to Amsterdam. After I captured the capital, then I would simply wait and see what peace deal the Dutch would offer me.

Phase one involved the occupation of Breda

july201836ontorotterdamtj2.png

My thoughts on this war would be that it would involve a race by both sides to capture the enemy capital. Once Brussels fell, there would be no way for me to get a decent enough war score to gain anything, but the AI decided to go a different direction. Instead of going after my capital he instead freaked out about my army on Dutch soil, and went to protect his own capital.

aug141836rotterdamdownyq4.png

After Breda the army moved to capture Rotterdam, while the Dutch looked like they were going to try and liberate Breda. I decided to throw caution to the wind and rush for Amsterdam allowing the Dutch to cut off my retreat. I found Amsterdam to be defended by two divisions that was later raised to three.

october11836batleofamstsw8.png

The battle of Amsterdam saw the Belgians take greater losses than the Dutch, however the shock value of the Belgian cavalry turned the battle, and the Dutch withdrew form their capital.

While the Belgian army set about the business of occupying Amsterdam the Dutch completed the liberation Breda and were moving towards Rotterdam. My fears of be trapped in Amsterdam however never materialized as on October 17th Amsterdam fell, and the Dutch sued for peace the same day.

oct171836peaceinflandersby7.png

It wasn’t a bad deal. I gained the 5 provinces that bordered Belgium, as well as a factory. The new look Belgium…

oct171836thenewlookbelgrf1.png

The Third Dutch War

With five divisions in Amsterdam, the Belgians were faced with a decision. The desire was to continue to crush the Dutch, but if the Belgians declared war now, with their troops still on Dutch soil, they would take a huge hit to their already weak prestige. On the other hand, if they declared war now, they were already in position in the capital to end the war quickly.

The decision was made to go to war now, and thus began the Third Dutch War.

nov301836startofnextwariv7.png

The war was short and sweet. After capturing Amsterdam the Belgian army moved out to Rotterdam, and began to occupy the city when the Dutch sued for peace.

nov28peacedealcd7.png

Once again the Dutch offered all their border provinces.

nov281836newbelgiumuc0.png

The peace deal made for a much larger Belgium, and it also left the entire Dutch army on Belgian soil. If war started now, the Dutch forces would be disorganized, and with no retreat path, Hmm…

gosam said:
That's 10 badboy already, and you're bordering both france and prussia. You better be careful.

Badboy is going to get a lot higher before I'm done ;)

But I actually have a plan. Both France and Britain guaranteed my independance in the Treaty of London, so with that behind me I figure no one will start a badboy war until those treaties expire.

Hopefully

Now, why is this AAR suddenly feeling like a stuck record? ;) :D

Actually, all makes sense. But it's a risk, all the same.

The title will much better fit a Swiss WC AAR! Has that been tried before?

anonymous4401 said:
The title will much better fit a Swiss WC AAR! Has that been tried before?

My original title was going to be...

What good is neutrality if no one honors it

But that seemed to long

So doing Germany and Sweden wasn't enough for you was it? Excellent. I missed the Swede AAR so I will read this one and take some notes. GL and I loved how you mention in the second dutch war I believe how the Dutch instead of going for your capital freaked out and went to defend theirs, *grunt* that sounds all too familiar. :p

If you haven't noticed yet my initial plans are to wipe out the Dutch through successive wars. I hope not to bore anyone by the repetition, but I need to establish a stronger Belgium than I originally had (to go for a world conquest), and this seemed like the best way to accomplish that.

Terraferma said:
So doing Germany and Sweden wasn't enough for you was it? Excellent. I missed the Swede AAR so I will read this one and take some notes. GL and I loved how you mention in the second dutch war I believe how the Dutch instead of going for your capital freaked out and went to defend theirs, *grunt* that sounds all too familiar. :p

Yes, similar but with a slightly differnt result. :p
Of course now that you mention it we now have two examples of the AI panicking when their capital is threatened, and I think we might be able to use that in some future stratagy

The Fourth Dutch War

The Fourth Dutch war was supposed to be a simple affair. With 5 divisions, 3 were sent to Amsterdam, while the other two were split up to deal with the disorganized Dutch forces still in Belgium. Unfortunately things moved a little slow at first allowing the Dutch to get better organized before the first battles started.

In Breda a lone Belgian cavalry attacked two infantry divisions that had recovered some of their lost organization.

dec91836bredaxi8.png

Elsewhere in Rotterdam the Dutch attacked the remaining Belgian troops in what could only be described as a suicide mission.

decp91836rotterdamme4.png

The battle of Rotterdam was over quickly, and so the initial force of 3 divisions marched north to Amsterdam, while the other division moved to assist the cavalry at Breda. After Amsterdam was captured the remaining Belgian army was sent to assist in the battle at Breda, as the Dutch were really starting to make a nuisance of themselves.

jan201837bredaby2.png

Before the Belgian army could arrive to finish off the Dutch at Breda, however; the Dutch saved us the trouble and surrendered. With the threat at Breda eliminated, the Belgian army turned east to wipe out the last remaining Dutch forces in Holland.

march151837warmovesonvv7.png

A short battle was fought at Arnhem followed by another battle at Zwole. In both battles the Belgians defeated the Dutch and were now ready to go after the remaining tow provinces in Europe, and thus wipe out the Dutch armies.

apr191837zwoledc8.png

Of course before this could happen, the Dutch decided to surrender.

june71837peacedeallf8.png

Leaving us with a pretty big Belgium (and a few colonial possessions)

june71837newlookwl4.png