+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Neutrality is Overrated, a Belgian WC AAR

EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Neutrality is Overrated, a Belgian WC AAR

I can not believe that I am about to do this but I have decided to launch another AAR. Writing my Swedish WC AAR was very enjoyable but it was also a learning process and some of the mistakes I made in preparing the AAR (namely the image host I chose) left me disappointed with the final product, so I have decided to do the same style AAR over so that I’ll have an AAR with pictures to mention in my signature.

The game will be played on Old Vicky 1.04 (no Revolutions) which means that I will have to micromanage my economy. Fortunately I have an established history of successfully managing a Victorian economy.

The house rules will be my standard rules.
    -No annexing China as an Unciv in a single war (unless it is the last nation left)
    -Native soldiers may only in police duties (in their original sphere), or operations against a bordering nation of their original territory. That means no Korean troops invading Mexico
    -No established exploits
    -No F12 (except badboy of course)

Any other suggestions on House Rules are of course welcome. The first course of action in any Belgian game is to resolve the war of independence. I haven’t read the event, but if memory serves me correctly all you need to do is capture two Dutch provinces to trigger the recognition of Belgian independence event. So here’s the plan.

I already have troops in Liege, so I am sending a division to both Middleburg and Arlon. Hopefully that will be enough to trigger the event. I am sending the final division to defend Antwerp. Lastly I mobilized the entire Belgian reserve army (1 division).
    United Kingdom of the Netherlands AAR Painting the world Orange
    German WW1 AAR The World is not Enough AARLand Choice Favorite Vicky AAR: 2006 Q4

The problem with learning patience is that it takes to long to learn

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Well I missed your Swedish AAR, so I better catch this one instead.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

The Belgian War of Independance

The war of independence, and indeed this entire AAR started out on the wrong foot with the battle of Antwerp. Belgian forces were all around 7000 men, so naturally I reinforced them all. The problem with this is that when my defense force arrived in Antwerp they were still too disorganized for the fight, and thus the first round went to the Dutch.

The next battle was in Middleburg where we arrived unopposed and began to occupy the city when the Dutch attacked. This time we were a little better organized, but in a one on one fight, we’ll have to wait and see.

While the battle of Middleburg rages on, and the Belgians are retreating from Antwerp, the first real good news arrives from Arlon and Liege where Belgian forces have finally captured the cities. The two divisions are ordered to merge at Liege, and then drive north to Maastricht.

At Maastricht the Belgians outnumber the Dutch 2 to 1, so we may get to see our first military victory of the war, which is good because things don’t look to promising in Middleburg.

While the Belgian army was trying to move forward the Dutch started a counter attack out of Antwerp towards Ghent. By this time the reserves had been mobilized, so two divisions were sent from Brussels to relieve Ghent. After successfully beating the Dutch, they then race back towards Brussels which was being threatened by the Dutch. The plan is to save Brussels, and then try to liberate Antwerp.

And so it came as surprise to me, while I was completely immersed in the war of independence when it suddenly ended (rather anti-climatic I know). The event fired for the recognition of Belgian independence, and Belgium gained Arlon and Liege
    Last edited by Quirinus308; 03-11-2006 at 20:22.
    German WW1 AAR The World is not Enough AARLand Choice Favorite Vicky AAR: 2006 Q4

Europa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2

nice AAR I'll be reading this

good start and nice title
    Wir kämpfen nicht für Vaterland
    Und nicht für deutsche Ehre
    Wir sterben für den Unverstand
    Und für die Millionäre

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Blog Entries
    Survived the first hurdle.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    My library and My blog

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

"You've got to break some eggs, if you want to make a Belgian Waffle!"

Jumping right into it, I see!

Rensslaer
    Serenity - (V2 v1.3) - An isolationist Japan tries to stay out of everybody's way (Updated July '13)
    Kriegsgefahr (Impending War) - (HOI3/SF/HPP) - Germany attempts to remain at peace! (Updated Apr '13)
    Locarno - Italy vs. Germany (HOI3/SF/HPP) - What if Mussolini stood with France against Hitler?
    The Die is Cast (Roman Civil War) - Caesar will make a name for himself! (Updated June '12)
    Império Novo - An Axis Portugal AAR for HOI 3 (Updated May '13)
    Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian Victoria 1 AAR (Awarded the VictAARian Cross for Jan-Jun 2006)
    Castles In the Sky (Vicky 1) * Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR (EU III) (Updated May '13) * I Am Siam (V2 Minor) (tied for Silver VictAARian Cross for Best AAR completed in 2011) * A Long Time Ago... (HOI 1 Argentina)* Check Rensslaer's Inkwell! (list of online writings)

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3For The GloryRome GoldRome: Vae Victis

will be following this one;
    good luck

I think anyone who read my Swedish AAR knows what's coming next

The Second Dutch War

I must admit I was a little disappointed when the peace event fired because I was rather enjoying the Belgian war of independence, so I did what anyone would do in that situation.

This time I had a more concrete strategy in mind. I brought all my troops together into one army, and would march them to Amsterdam. After I captured the capital, then I would simply wait and see what peace deal the Dutch would offer me.

Phase one involved the occupation of Breda

My thoughts on this war would be that it would involve a race by both sides to capture the enemy capital. Once Brussels fell, there would be no way for me to get a decent enough war score to gain anything, but the AI decided to go a different direction. Instead of going after my capital he instead freaked out about my army on Dutch soil, and went to protect his own capital.

After Breda the army moved to capture Rotterdam, while the Dutch looked like they were going to try and liberate Breda. I decided to throw caution to the wind and rush for Amsterdam allowing the Dutch to cut off my retreat. I found Amsterdam to be defended by two divisions that was later raised to three.

The battle of Amsterdam saw the Belgians take greater losses than the Dutch, however the shock value of the Belgian cavalry turned the battle, and the Dutch withdrew form their capital.

While the Belgian army set about the business of occupying Amsterdam the Dutch completed the liberation Breda and were moving towards Rotterdam. My fears of be trapped in Amsterdam however never materialized as on October 17th Amsterdam fell, and the Dutch sued for peace the same day.

It wasn’t a bad deal. I gained the 5 provinces that bordered Belgium, as well as a factory. The new look Belgium…

Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

That's 10 badboy already, and you're bordering both france and prussia. You better be careful.
    Join the The Order of the Paradox , a Cybernations alliance.

Running Victoria 2:AHD and HoI3:FtM with wine on Debian sid.

Put absurdity in your life : uncyclopedia
    my first aar : Transvaal, the united african republic.

The Third Dutch War

With five divisions in Amsterdam, the Belgians were faced with a decision. The desire was to continue to crush the Dutch, but if the Belgians declared war now, with their troops still on Dutch soil, they would take a huge hit to their already weak prestige. On the other hand, if they declared war now, they were already in position in the capital to end the war quickly.

The decision was made to go to war now, and thus began the Third Dutch War.

The war was short and sweet. After capturing Amsterdam the Belgian army moved out to Rotterdam, and began to occupy the city when the Dutch sued for peace.

Once again the Dutch offered all their border provinces.

The peace deal made for a much larger Belgium, and it also left the entire Dutch army on Belgian soil. If war started now, the Dutch forces would be disorganized, and with no retreat path, Hmm…

Quote Originally Posted by gosam
    That's 10 badboy already, and you're bordering both france and prussia. You better be careful.
    Badboy is going to get a lot higher before I'm done

But I actually have a plan. Both France and Britain guaranteed my independance in the Treaty of London, so with that behind me I figure no one will start a badboy war until those treaties expire.

Hopefully

Blog Entries
    Now, why is this AAR suddenly feeling like a stuck record?

Actually, all makes sense. But it's a risk, all the same.
    My library and My blog

AARlander
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III

The title will much better fit a Swiss WC AAR! Has that been tried before?
    Good comments and worthless spam, the difference is just an eyelash

Real Men Do It Alphabetically: An AARgau | Conquering CK by the dictionary. Updates EVERY DAY FOREVER.
    Littoral Insanity, a Hinterland of Genius | World Conquest by land and sea. Updates daily.

anonymous4401's Signature Repositorium
    The AARlander Issue #6: February 2008
    The AARland Choice AwAARds Results Archive

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous4401
    The title will much better fit a Swiss WC AAR! Has that been tried before?
    My original title was going to be...

What good is neutrality if no one honors it

But that seemed to long

So doing Germany and Sweden wasn't enough for you was it? Excellent. I missed the Swede AAR so I will read this one and take some notes. GL and I loved how you mention in the second dutch war I believe how the Dutch instead of going for your capital freaked out and went to defend theirs, *grunt* that sounds all too familiar.
    Changing one's stAARs- A Brazil AAR
    Fan of the Week 7/17/06-7/24/06
    The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself. -Benjamin Franklin
    It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried. -Winston Churchill
    Courage is doing what you are afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you are scared. -Edward V. Rickenbacker

If you haven't noticed yet my initial plans are to wipe out the Dutch through successive wars. I hope not to bore anyone by the repetition, but I need to establish a stronger Belgium than I originally had (to go for a world conquest), and this seemed like the best way to accomplish that.

Quote Originally Posted by Terraferma
    So doing Germany and Sweden wasn't enough for you was it? Excellent. I missed the Swede AAR so I will read this one and take some notes. GL and I loved how you mention in the second dutch war I believe how the Dutch instead of going for your capital freaked out and went to defend theirs, *grunt* that sounds all too familiar.
    Yes, similar but with a slightly differnt result.
    Of course now that you mention it we now have two examples of the AI panicking when their capital is threatened, and I think we might be able to use that in some future stratagy

The Fourth Dutch War

The Fourth Dutch war was supposed to be a simple affair. With 5 divisions, 3 were sent to Amsterdam, while the other two were split up to deal with the disorganized Dutch forces still in Belgium. Unfortunately things moved a little slow at first allowing the Dutch to get better organized before the first battles started.

In Breda a lone Belgian cavalry attacked two infantry divisions that had recovered some of their lost organization.

Elsewhere in Rotterdam the Dutch attacked the remaining Belgian troops in what could only be described as a suicide mission.

The battle of Rotterdam was over quickly, and so the initial force of 3 divisions marched north to Amsterdam, while the other division moved to assist the cavalry at Breda. After Amsterdam was captured the remaining Belgian army was sent to assist in the battle at Breda, as the Dutch were really starting to make a nuisance of themselves.

Before the Belgian army could arrive to finish off the Dutch at Breda, however; the Dutch saved us the trouble and surrendered. With the threat at Breda eliminated, the Belgian army turned east to wipe out the last remaining Dutch forces in Holland.

A short battle was fought at Arnhem followed by another battle at Zwole. In both battles the Belgians defeated the Dutch and were now ready to go after the remaining tow provinces in Europe, and thus wipe out the Dutch armies.

Of course before this could happen, the Dutch decided to surrender.

Leaving us with a pretty big Belgium (and a few colonial possessions)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 26 ... LastLast