• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In general, as always, a very nice update, and it's impressive to see how the game is progressing.
As a little complaint, it's somewhat disappointing that - apparently; if Austria has indeed managed to gain Burgundy by an alternate turn of events during the game and this is not how the scenarios between 1477 and 1556 are set up, I apologise for the rant - Paradox has kept the incorrect setup for the Hapsburg Netherlands in the 16th century, although this has constantly been brought up in EU2 discussions. It is moddable, and sure as anything will be modded by the successor of the AGCEEP in one of its first versions, but still, it is just wrong for Austria to own the Netherlands anytime before the 18th century, and even more so in 1503 than in the 1480s, and I'd like to ask Paradox most humbly to reconsider this, because in my opinion it is a bad decision.
Just a few, very basic facts:
  • in 1477, after Charles the Bold's death, the Duchy passed to his daughter, Mary the Rich.
  • When she married Maximilian of Hapsburg, he became her co-ruler, however it is worth noting that the Burgundian estates always insisted that the legal ruler was Mary, not Maximilian, and also that at that time Austria and the empire were still held by Maximilian's father, Friedrich III
  • When Mary died by an accident in 1482, the duchy was inherited by the couple's son, Philipp the Handsome. Maximilian from 1482 to 1494 acted as regent for his son. It was always very clear that the Duchy that the legal monarch was Philipp and that the Duchy would be passed to him when he comes of age.
  • It should be noted that after taking over Burgundy in 1494, Philipp pursued a very independent policy, for example concluding a treaty of neutrality with the King of France during the latter's war with his father Maximilian in Italy. As a matter of fact, after 1494, Burgundy in no way was in a political union with Austria.
  • Of course, the longterm plan was to achieve such a union between Burgundy and Austria after Maximilian's death, when Philipp would be the heir to Austria and the Empire. This was however prevented by Philipp's untimely death in 1506.
  • It is at least worth mentioning that in 1504, Philipp became king-consort of Castile, as husband of Queen Juana the Mad, in an almost identical arrangement to that in Burgundy between 1477 and 1482.
  • When Philipp died, the Duchy passed to his minor son, the future Charles V, with his aunt Margaret - not Maximilian, nor Ferdinand of Aragon -, acting as regent until his coming of age in 1515. Margaret, during her regency, concluded a treaty of commerce with England and participated in the League of Cambrai - which, again, shows that Burgundy had complete international subjectivity.
    Charles went on to inherit Aragon and replac Fernando as regent of Castile (for the insane Juana) in 1516 and suceeded Maximilian in Austria and the Empire in 1519
  • In the treaties of Worms and Brussels in 1521, Charles' brother Ferdinand was ceded the Austrian lands and Wirtemberg, under the nominal suzerainty of his brother but for all effects acting as the ruler of Austria.
  • so, what's the bottom line?
    from 1477 to 1519, Austria and Burgundy had different legal rulers
    they were effectively ruled jointly by Maximilian for one year, 1493, when he became emperor, to 1494, when he gave up the regency of Burgundy
    Burgundy entered into personal union with Spain earlier - in 1516 - than it did with Austria
    Burgundy and Austria were in effective personal union only from 1519 to 1521, although they both remained part of Charles' realm until 1556.

Basically, I'd like to know how having Austria own the Netherlands in 1503 (as a starting setup, and - if there are events- as the default outcome of events to simulate the fate of Burgundy) is supposed to be justified.

I must say, I’m starting to like the graphics. Even the huge units don't look so huge anymore. Not sure if I’m just getting used to them or if they have change in some way. I guess it doesn’t really matter. it seem what I’ve expected all along is slowly happening, I’m getting more and more accustomed to the new graphics and it actually much prefer them over the old graphic. I'm guessing a lot of you guys don't agree with me. But I’m sure you'll also come around and se what a glorious new 3d EU world we are living in. I for one can't wait to get this game loaded into my pc. Any chance of Johan will send me an exclusive beta copy just because it's me?? :cool:

I’m guessing no, but there’s always hope that a guy from paradox wakes up one day, and realizes that they have to give me a copy to play with. :) :)

Yet another very informative post, Twoflower :)

I always found it odd that Austria owned the Netherlands as they did. I liked how Hive (in AoI) made Burgundy a vassal of Austria. In EU II terms, I think that was the best way of modelling the whole affair.

However, in EU III I think it could be done much better :D

Let's see how the history pedant chaps in Paradox decide to do... ;)

Finally, is the quote in your signature an actual quote, or a modern myth? If the former, it's probably one of the best quotes I've read. I presume it sounds a bit different in its native tongue, though.

Lookin' Great!

Very nice! That "tool" sure looks useful - and the graphics are getting very good indeed.

Johan said:
eu3_oct_25.jpg

Right, some analysis :)

I found this interesting... the information on Flanders (Vlaanderen) says the capital is Antwerpen. The capital of what? Presumably that would mean the capital of Austria (which will be Vienna). Perhaps the empire is split in two or three sections for ease of use? :D

Either way, it's not the centre of trade, as that's Flanders (me thinks the sack by the pile of gold indicates this on the map). So, I found that interesting.

Another nice bit of information is the manpower. That would suggest that one can train 1,162 men in Flanders at present- as opposed to a stupid 70,000 men army from a city of 300,000 or something in EU II.

I love the fact that manpower is lower - more realistic in other words - and we get more historically accurate army sizes as a result :)

A supply limit of three. So, does that mean we can't have more than 3,000 chaps in Flanders at a time? Seems good to me. I didn't like the fact that Paris could station about 120,000 troops at a time without any sort of negative effect on the economy or desertion, etc.

Finally, Flemish - I like it. It's great to see some of these new cultures, such as Austrian as the state culture of Austria. :D

EDIT: Just thought. Flanders (big place, massive commercial haven, etc.) can support 3,000 men. What the hell can support your 39,000 man Main Army? :rolleyes:

mandead said:
I found this interesting... the information on Flanders (Vlaanderen) says the capital is Antwerpen. The capital of what? Presumably that would mean the capital of Austria (which will be Vienna). Perhaps the empire is split in two or three sections for ease of use? :D
Perhaps Antwerp is simply the provncial capital of Flanders?

mandead said:
EDIT: Just thought. Flanders (big place, massive commercial haven, etc.) can support 3,000 men. What the hell can support your 39,000 man Main Army? :rolleyes:
Well, first of all they are probably still balancing this. Secondly, with province improvemnts you might be able to raise the supply limit.

(then again, maybe supply limit means something completely different.)

Very informative screenshot. I like the outliner and the province info screen.

I found this interesting... the information on Flanders (Vlaanderen) says the capital is Antwerpen. The capital of what?
I presumed this to be the capital of the province.

Yes, pretty sure it would be capital of the province. EU2 had the same thing didn't it?

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Yes, pretty sure it would be capital of the province. EU2 had the same thing didn't it?

Yeah, unless Normandie is a city as well. Hehe.

Carewolf2 said:
Change it to 30 and you got yourself a julian calendar which would actually makes sense for the period. And a leap month would be soo cool.
Months did alternate length in the Julian calendar.

guess the 39000 men army means the limit of military forces that can be supported by France before taking some penalties - extra cost etc. By the way - what army 39000 men strong in the timelin 1453-1789 would be placed in one provinces for a longer time - none - it would only march trough - in 2 or more groups. A peacetime army of 39.000 in 1503 is quite a force - 39 regiments and if a longer war begins - say the 1618-48 :D maybe one can have double army size (78 regiments without extra penalties.

Anyway. Great Work!!!
I thought 3d was a mistake but it works out quite okay - and when i think of all the buildings one can build - the different ways of ruling the diplomacy and all the other stuff - YES!!! 2d 3d 4d who cares! - one has a wagonload of thinking to do as player of a country!! - cant wait to get my hands on it!

I love you people! :D

Question: what does "anti-aliasing" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.