• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 4

Though temporarily absent from the political realm, the returning cabinet members knew very well what had occurred on the world stage during their three and a half month hiatus. Civil war had broken out in Spain and had quickly turned against the rebels, yet the war was still dragging on after months of vicious fighting. The major authoritarian powers of Europe were lending active support to either side while both France and Britain had declined to assist the Republican government. Meanwhile, in the Far East, the Guangxi warlord clique and Xibei San Ma went to war against the Kuomintang, the dominant power in China. The war lasted only a few months- until Guangxi Clique accepted a harsh peace on 23 September - but this conflict coupled with reports of regular skirmishing along the Chinese-Manchurian border illustrated the extent of instability in the region.

spainwaroc4.png

spain3hq6.png

china2rj8.png

------------------------------------------------------

Rickard Sandler gazed at his reflection in a dark shop window in downtown Gävle. He saw his regal figure clothed in a black overcoat and top hap. His left arm supported a small ebon umbrella while he gripped a leather briefcase in his right. He was clad appropriately for it had been precipitating sporadically all day and more storm clouds were approaching with the onset of evening.

800pxgamlastanbuildingshd1.jpg

Downtown Gävle, late autumn-1936​

The flow of commuters along the avenue remained constant even though darkness was drawn rapidly across the sky. The streetlamps suddenly flashed on at seven and still Sandler paced within a narrow strip of snow laced pavement along Katrinagatan…waiting.

ld4to10zz0.jpg

Les Collines Blanches-Downtown Gävle​

At a quarter past eight, after nearly two hours, a heavy downpour of wet slush began prompting Sandler to duck into an elegant French restaurant on the next block. He ordered a glass of champagne and took a seat near a window were he could watch the corner that he had been waiting at. A bottle of Noble Cuvée was soon placed in front of him. He decided to accompany it with a small quiche and eventually found himself eating a full meal as the twilight hours wore on. The dimly lit establishment gradually emptied itself of diners. At eleven, a young waiter came to the Foreign Minister and announced that the restaurant was closing. Sandler hastily paid the bill and strolled back onto the street.

He lingered for a short time then decided to head for home. It was obvious that the man he was supposed to meet would not show. He ran several blocks along Svenksa gatan, hoping to catch the late-night tram that left Bomhusberg Station at 11:20. The lonely trek through the urban maze progressed steadily and the surroundings became exceedingly quiet with the exception of far off typical metropolitan sounds and the steady clatter of his shoes echoing throughout the concave shape of the narrow streets. Another sound soon joined in as he neared the Gustavus intersection; that of a small humming engine rapidly approaching. Sandler stopped suddenly and looked back. A small automobile with its light’s beaming brightly, hugged the curb as it sped toward him, then jumped onto the sidewalk, swerved left nearly hitting him, before plunging into an abandoned factory complex with a terrifying swiftness. Rickard breathed a sigh of relief at the close call and moved slowly toward the wreckage; it was probably some reckless drunkard he assumed. He crouched cautiously through the punctured wall of the factory and saw the shattered vehicle smoldering beside a large metal tank. He moved forward and looked inside the cracked windows. It was empty! A quick search of the vicinity revealed no body, either living or dead. Sandler hurried to a nearby house were he called the authorities, than returned to the accident-scene, gave his testimony to uniformed police officers and finally left in a state of confused astonishment. It was well past midnight.

The next day Sandler entered the Riksdag to report his failed rendezvous to the prime minister. He found Mr. Hansson preparing for a speech in a room adjacent to the main hall.

“Mr. Prime Minister…”

“Mr. Sandler! How are you?!” he cried happily. “We heard about what happened last night. Luckily Mr. Jaakon warned us of the attempted assassination attempt.”

“Assassination attempt?”

“Yes. But luckily Mr Olof Jaakon warned us about it. Are you alright by the way…”

“What are you talking about?!”

Mr. Hansson’s tone became serious. “A car tried to hit you yesterday and…” he continued slowly, “Mr. Jaakon also warned us of another plot to gun you down at your home. He was prevented from meeting you yesterday because he was convening with Nazi agents in Munich. He received the information from them and than reported it to us as quickly as possible. He deserves much gratitude.”

Sandler became silent.

“I’m sorry about sending you to Gävle. I guess they got wind that you were there. Say, you didn’t know about this did you, that they tried to kill you?"

Sandler shook his head grimly.

Last edited:
A most excellent update! Mr Jaakon is proving most useful indeed...

The only nitpick is the use of Gata. Do you use it as "street" (as in "Main Street?" In that case it should be "gatan", and after the name of the street, all of it in word ("Katarinagatan). There are of course exeptions from this rule, for instance "Svenska gatan".
Yes, we swedes have been conspiring for centuries to create a languange that is completely incomprehensible to foreigners...

*Subscribes*

You do the intrigue very well.

Eams said:
Yes, we swedes have been conspiring for centuries to create a languange that is completely incomprehensible to foreigners...
And we in England have not? :D

Eams: Thanks for continuing to offer helpful corrections. I've just been using translation programs from the internet. I guess they haven't been extremely helpful. ;)

knugen_n1: Thank you. Perhaps I should. (I used the language tool on google to decipher that. ;) )

Mooses: Thank you!

cthulhu: Thank you!

Mr Hearts: According to the game it was a gift, but on wikipedia it said the Hansson's cabinet was "overthrown" so I don't know. :confused:

Adaption: Thanks!

stnylan said:
And we in England have not? :D

Hah! We prepared for your entire "dominant global position"-business more than 1000 years ago by violently exporting enough of our language to your quaint little island that we would be able to understand it today (and the lesson here is that a small ethnic group can have an enormous linguistic impact, if they are heavily armed and suitably blood-thirsty).

Chesterton: Don't mention it, I'm just glad to be able to make some small contribution to this very promising AAR.
And I have to say that it's quite impressive that you can hold up such a constant flow of well-written additions, especially since little of interest has happened in the game yet.

Edit: Oh, and the summer government business was, IIRC, partly a reward to Bramstorp and partly Social Democratic election-tactics.

Downtown Gävle looks suspiciously identical to the Grand Plaza (Stora Torget) in Stockholm’s Old Town (Gamla Stan). :p

But don't be discouraged by us unforgiving Swedes. Carry on with your excellent story. :)

Chapter 5

“Good morning General Nygren!” Gustav called out. “How are you commander?”

“Very well your highness, thank you.”

“As you know, I have called a meeting of the military minds. You, Admiral de Champs and General Friis have been invited. Unfortunately, I have just recently been informed that General Friis is speaking at the air force academy in Bern so it will be only you, I and the Admiral here today. I expect de Champs to arrive any minute. A drink?”

“Yes, thank you.”

“How is your wife? She had the flu last time we spoke?”

“Yes, but she’s feeling much better now. I plan to take her to Karlskrona with me when I inspect the fleet there next week. I expect the seaside climate will help her recovery greatly.”

“Karlskrona, that’s de Champ’s command, is it not?”

Nygren grinned widely.

“Yes, and I’m afraid he’s still irritated that he can’t command a larger flotilla.” He said half-jokingly. “He’s had an eye on Kurstflottan for some time now.”

“Well, as Chief of the Navy, he already has much responsibility. Besides, his flagship; HMS Oscar II is a very noble vessel…named for I very noble man I might add.”

After the butler had served the drinks, Gustav waved him away and didn’t resume speaking until they were left alone in the room. “Now, I hear you wish to alter the doctrine of our army.” His voiced was tinged with annoyance.

“Yes your highness.”

“This seems like a very rash approach to your duties sir. In a time of peace, I might agree with you but war is on the horizon man!” he thundered. “We cannot suddenly change our methods of conducting war when one is likely to break out anytime!”

General Nygren was taken aback by the king’s belligerent manner, yet on looking into the worn and exhausted face of the crown bearer, he could sympathize with the rigorous life that came with such royal stature, and understand the pains and bitterness which accompanied it.

“That is just why we must." he said firmly. "Our doctrines are geared for a nation which can wage war on a vast scale. I want us to change our tactics to accommodate the reality that we will be outmanned and outgunned by our enemies should a war begin. We cannot win if we use a doctrine emphasizing super firepower against a nation with an inherent superiority of firepower!”

The king said nothing but his expression showed that he was desperately trying to suppress his anger. Nygren went on softly:

“Your highness I am only advocating what I think is best. I understand your concern but I’m confident that General Thornell and his staff can successfully implement the changes within three months. By the end of the year the change will be ingrained within the minds of all our officers.”

“I understand your motives but it still strikes me as reckless…”

“In the short term yes, there is a risk, but the long-term benefits could possibly be the difference between winning and losing.”

“But aside from the danger of a sudden conflict, the problem is that we don’t know if such a change can be implemented effectively.”

“Well, I respectfully refute your first argument by citing the likelihood that Swedish neutrality will likely protect us from sudden war. In other words, though war may break out we likely won’t be dragged in for some time. With regard to your second argument, I cannot prove you wrong, but I believe that a doctrine change can be implemented successfully since it isn’t a total change. I’m not talking about an abandonment of a firepower focused doctrine altogether, instead I’m advocating a tactical system still dependent on firepower more than mobility but one which isn’t reliant on massive and overwhelming firepower. Rather, the offensive focus of the ground forces will be on infiltration and concentrated assault.”

Gustav, now much cooled, leaned back in his chair, pondering the words of his Chief of Staff and Army. Nygren wished to explain further but, seeing the king deep in thought, he tactfully held his tongue until Gustav finally spoke.

“The fact is…that it’s not up to me Oscar.” he laughed. “You’ll have to take it to the Riksdag and the Army heads but I won’t stand in your way.”

“Thank you Sir!”

“Now, I wonder where de Champs is. Ah, here he is! Welcome Admiral.”

A late middle-aged man with light thinning hair walked into the room. He took a seat next to Nygren. After a small amount of formalities, Gustav got down to business.

“Admiral, I understand you are frustrated with the lack of resources being directed to the navy. Is that correct? Okay, well I will tell you frankly that that’s the way it’s going to be. There is no plan for major naval improvement on the cards. I’m sorry but the army comes first; before the air force and before the navy. General Nygren as chief of staff has put forward this proposition and there is overwhelming support in the Riksdag for an Army first plan. Significant naval strengthening is just too expensive and there’s no guarantee we will be able to compete with Germany in the Baltic even if we allocate all resources to the navy. I’m sorry Admiral.”

“Very well then, thank you for your time gentlemen.” De champs responded despondently. He abruptly stood up, shook the hand of each of his companions, and turned toward the door.

“Must you leave?” asked Gustav “You only came just a minute ago!”

“Yes, I think that I should. There is nothing more to say. I confess, I never believed I could change your mind for a second,” he said before vanishing across the threshold.

-----------------------------------------------------

The abandonment of the Super Firepower doctrine, advocated by General Nygren, was quickly implemented and the change to a Grand Battle Plan doctrine was in full swing by the middle of January 1937, a mere two weeks after Nygren’s discussion with Gustav.

grandbattlera2.png

Research begun: 10 January 1937​

The first phase of the three year industrial program was finished in totality by February allowing the second phase to commence immediately. Industrial construction planned for 1937 remained at the same quantitative level as the previous year’s building; three major factory complexes in south central Sweden.

The previous December, the British population had been rocked by Edward VIII’s abdication in order to marry an American divorcee. The event led to the ascension of a new prime minister, a Mr. Neville Chamberlain, along with many other fresh faces in cabinet. The Swedish government privately hoped that Britain’s new leaders would take a much stronger stance against German and Italian ambitions.

In the meantime, the Spanish Civil War continued to rage with the Nationalist zone growing smaller and smaller. After particularly fierce fighting in the final days, the Republicans declared victory on February 20.

spain4qe4.png

Last edited:
So Franco got booted out I see.

I hope that doctrine change works out.

Good update. I see that the swedes are much better prepared in your game than they were in real life, where they realized in 1938 (roughly)that it could be kind of good if they actually had a Supreme Commander of the military.
"What you mean, badly prepared for war?"

Last edited:
Chapter 6

moonjy9.png

A golden falcate moon hung above the limits of the Vättern wilderness. The sky was richly speckled with no less than a thousand stars, blazing in the stratosphere like a sea of candles, and a rugged wind howled across the deep cerulean pool’s uneasy top. At the ancient castle of Aldercreutz, a longship tied to the building’s crumbling foundation endured the element’s ceaseless battering as it must have over a millennium before. The valiant vessel was repeated dashed against the peripheral rocks that created a natural bay at the west end. The soft wood of the hull was horribly disfigured and torn, and the sail, linings and ropes connecting to the mast were entirely blasted off by powerful wet gusts. When it seemed as the end was approaching, when one more sizeable wave might result in the boat’s transformation into a pile of broken timber strewn over the granite, the ship happened to float in front of an outcropping of rock extending from the castle base. A small surge then pushed it harmlessly onto the rock where it rested comfortably for a brief moment before being vigorously pushed by a second wave into the castle wall sending the gnarled dragon-head prow crashing through a large bay window (the only glass window in the castle). The serpent head was met by a round from the startled Aldercreutz’s pistol.

Heavy winds penetrating through the broken glass whipped up a maelstrom of papers within the room, all of them being of artistic and historical value rather than being related to contemporary intelligence. The hall’s occupant, still gripping the firearm, pressed forward toward the window with his hair being violently flung back. He managed to anchor himself at the windowsill and spy the wreck below.

“Blast!”

The vessel was more or less intact but damaged beyond repair. Countless holes filled the thrashed and beaten hull. The mast itself was barely standing; a jagged crack ran nearly its entire breadth and the low hum of splitting cedar was still echoing through the tumultuous air.

He quickly turned away from the sight, flung his weapon onto the Ukrainian divan and retired through a heavy oak door into his bedroom. His oldest possession, one of his most priceless artifacts had been destroyed because he had lazily left it on the lake despite forecasts of bad weather.

Within his private chamber, he turned toward the only piece of modern furniture which occupied the space: a solitary beige file cabinet in the corner. A key was placed in the lock and the top drawer was jerked open revealing a mass of manila folders lined and alphabetized. A heavy folder bearing the name “German Intelligence ‘37” was removed and place on an Elizabethan table where Aldercreutz took a seat and began to examine its contents. The latest document was dated May 3rd. It had arrived by electrograph in the morning.

Concerning the aims and aspirations of the government of Germany, regarding its external and internal policies, it is apparent to me that that nation’s expansion, both in terms of territory, military and overall power will continue indefinitely, unless forcefully checked by a coalition consisting of at least some of the major powers of Europe. However, whether the Nazi government will go so far as to wage open war in order to achieve a continuation of those goals once diplomacy is no longer an option is certainly in doubt and this question will continue to be foremost in the minds of those working in counter-German intelligence circles. Nonetheless, as I alluded to, the German government will continue appeal to pan-German sentiment as well as the ethnic tenets of Versailles in an attempt to join all German speaking areas, adjacent to their frontiers, to the Reich. Moreover, the military buildup occurring at this moment will continue with exponentially growing speed; of this I have no doubt.

That government of Italy, on April 30, joined both Germany and Japan in the anti-comintern pact, signals to us very plainly that German-Italian relations have improved considerably in recent months and more importantly that Italy has larger aspirations than many had previously thought. That she would join two nations, in treaty, both of whom are strongly suspected to have expansionist motives, (perhaps through military means) tells us that Abyssinia was not enough and she has sought protection in order to expand further.

Finally a word concerning Japan; our intelligence on them is extremely poor. Therefore I urge you to establish an intelligence network within that country. I know it is a costly task and not nearly as high a priority German, Italian and Soviet counter-intelligence, but I ask you to at least consider it.

Senior Intelligence Officer-Italy
Johann Gothenburg

Aldercreutz replaced the file and picked up an envelope that had been delivered to him by special courier several hours earlier. He opened it to find a note typed on fine stationary paired with another sheet covered with scrawled handwriting. The first read:

Dear Carlos,

I have taken your advice and presented your recommendations to the Riksdag. They were very receptive to your idea and it seems it will be soon implemented. Your foresight has once again proved to be of priceless value.

As you informed me, our supplies of coal and hydroelectric power are very limited. We cannot even sustain our current economy relying solely on domestic supplies of these power sources. As it stands now, we make small daily net gain of these resources due to overseas trade. However, as you correctly pointed out, if we go to war against Germany, such trade will be almost totally impossible and our small stockpile will be depleted within a few months. Therefore we must build up a massive stockpile of energy to prepare for such an event. With our increasing surplus of military supplies, we can trade for large quantities of power. Major trade deals with the U.S. and U.K. are forthcoming.

By the way, I have enclosed a letter from Mr. Jaakon, who, as I’ve told you, has frequent contact with agents of the Reich. I have read his letter; its contents are surprisingly interesting. In accordance with his unique knowledge, Jaakon, as of May 1st, is your newest field agent.

Sincerely, Per Albin Hansson

He looked to the second communiqué from Mr. Jaakon:

My dear Aldercreutz,

I wish to inform you of the great many secrets of the impenetrable silver finished flask that is the Reich. This letter, I hope, will be but one of many such communications between us discussing these secrets.

Mr. Hansson has surely told you a bit about me; how I first contacted him last summer, how I helped in foiling a plot on Minister Sandler’s life after being informed of a Nazi plot to assassinate him, and how I know hope to greatly aid Sweden in its defense through my intelligence gathering; among my chief means in gathering this intelligence is through my regular contacts with SS officers who do not know my true identity.

Below, I will briefly describe some of the intelligence I have attained.

First, high-ranking German government officials have decided to halt further assassination attempts and crack down on any serious operations not approved by Hitler himself, although the reliability of this information is suspect due to the secretive nature of subterfuge. Nevertheless, there does seem to be a strong underlying indication that the attempt to assasinate Mr. Sandler was not ordered by Hitler but rather undertaken by rogue agents operating outside of Nazi control.

Secondly, an enormous endeavor to reconstruct the old Siegfried Line is planned to begin next year, as are major fortified barriers on the Polish and Dutch frontiers. The combined projects seem likely to deplete massive resources and tie down a large portion of Germany industry for at least a few years.

Thirdly, observations of dry docks at Stettin and Kiel, as well as documents stolen from the naval buildings in Rostock and Berlin, indicate that the expansion of the Kriegsmarine will be accomplished primarily through the construction of coastal defense ships, minelayers, gunboats and patrol craft.

I will send further information which will go into much greater depth concerning the above statement and further intelligence.

Sincerely,
Olof Jaakon

“So they intend to have a navy little better than my Viking ship!” Aldercreutz muttered after reading Jaakon’s letter. He turned toward the large mirror overhanging the table and looked decisively at his reflection, an image haggard from the long hours of desolation.

----------------------------------------------------------------

energy2jf1.png

Daily energy change as of 21 May after multiple energy trade deals with the United Kingdom​

A major enlarging of the countries energy stockpile was thoroughly pursued throughout May. The net growth of energy increased dramatically and a vast stockpile was gradually built in preparation for the trade isolation that a potential war with Germany would certainly bring.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I missed the last few chapter but this is a great AAR. I'm glad the republicans won the civil war, but will that have later repercussions.