• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Funny, I read a summary on Gustav V's character, written by a conservative politician, just yesterday.
He said that unless forced to, Gustav V would not talk about politics.
That statement goes quite well with how you've described him here.

Of course, this time he's a staunch democrat rather than a cowardly defeatist who listenens far too much to what his German wife says.
But that's a change that I can live with....

chefportnen: Thank you!

Duke of Wellington: Yes, it will be difficult to bring my armed forces up to date. I'm not sure how good my military will be when war begins...

stnylan: Yes the allies do seem to be the natural choice but even I'm not sure at this point what is going to happen. I'm not sure what I'll do in the winter war either, if I join and we lose, the SU will most likely just take what they asked for right?

Mr Hearts: Thanks for pointing out the error and I do intend to keep Sweden
democratic.

Eams: I don't know anything about the personalities of these ministers so
I'll be taking some liberties with their characters. I guess the Gustav and politics thing was just a coincidence. ;)

camo: Thank you!

Myth: Thanks!

Adaptation: Thank you! Hopefully I will be.

lifeless: Thanks!

edit-oops, I had two responses to duke of wellington :wacko:

Last edited:
Chapter 2

techskh7.png

Technological research begun on 1 January 1936

The industrial program, approved by the Riksdag on January 1st, was primarily aimed at building up industry in South-central Sweden, primarily in and around the cities of Skövde, Karlstad, and Vasterås. The location was far enough inland to prevent a quick loss to an invading enemy but close enough to the main population centers to be easily accessible. Beginning in early January, trains loaded with building materials began moving from Stockholm to one of several building sites to the west. Regional rail capacity was overwhelmed but the project moved forward successfully and on schedule regardless.

industryxm6.png

Swedish industrial construction plan for 1936​

Meanwhile, with this massive endeavor commanding the attention and labor of much of the nation’s existing manufacturers, the production of military supplies had to be completely halted. The country was also burning rapidly through a small supply of energy, and funds were rapidly decreasing due to stepped up military research. But with a strong surplus of iron and steel products as a lure, Minister of Foreign Affairs Rickard Sandler was able to establish a series of trade deals over the next few moths which resulted in surpluses of all key materials. The principal trade deal was made with the United States. Several smaller deals were made with minor European powers.

-----------------------------------------------------

One the morning of March 19, a young newly-wedded man rowed a small boat across Lake Vättern’s dark sapphire surface as his young wife cheerily viewed the surroundings. Snow was still piled along the banks though not very heavily and the trees were perfectly green indicating that it had not snowed in the area for quite some time. The hard ground was clearly beginning to thaw yet the coldness of winter still lingered.

lakefu3.jpg

As the rowboat skimmed adjacent to the near shore, an old castle slowly came into sight. The ancient structure was nestled among a distant group of small granite islands gently protruding from the water. Four large stone towers gradually rose above the rock formations, and then the entire mass of stone and metal came into full view as the little boat rounded an eerie moss strewn island. The couple anxiously gazed at this artifact of fortification as their boat glided underneath the battlements.

“Five-hundred years old at least,” the man said. He then saw the nervous look of his wife and added: “I doubt anyone’s lived here for a few centuries darling.”

They finally moved on into the open water once more, never realizing that the building was indeed inhabited.

Carlos Aldercreutz, Sweden’s Head of Intelligence, looked curiously out from the east tower to view the departing vessel. He had easily heard the boat since almost any sound was unusual in the isolated district. His dark eyes then danced back and forth as he scanned the rest of the horizon through the tiny opening. Having satisfied himself that no one else was around, he walked into an inner chamber of the castle. The room he went into was a museum of the previous centuries, cluttered with remnants of Sweden’s golden age, possessions of the Holsteins and a whole host of relics and trinkets dating from the era of Gustavus Aldophus to the time of Marshall Bernadotte, that is Charles XIV. Aldecreutz strode across the stone floor, deftly evaded a set of porcelain dishes and nestled himself comfortably on a lavish Ukrainian divan (Charles XII’s troops had apparently seized it from Poltava during the disastrous campaign in 1709). Nearby was one of the few modern technologies within the premises; a golden telephone hung on a mahogany box. At that moment the phone rang. He answered.

“Hello?”

“Carlos, this is Karl. I’m afraid I have more bad news for you,” responded Karl Schlyter, the Security minister.”

“Yes?”

“News from Rome; the Italian government is announcing that Abyssinia is finished, the country’s been annexed and what remains of the government is fleeing the country.”

“My people have known for some weeks now that this was inevitable. It’s no surprise.” Aldercreutz responded brusquely.

“It’s another blow for democracy nevertheless Carlos. I mean just two weeks ago Germany sent troops into the Rhineland. The lid has been nailed on Versailles’s coffin as far as I’m concerned.”

“I agree, but let us see what Hitler’s and Mussolini’s respective intentions are. If they proceed with this belligerent behavior, they will find themselves on a collision course with the democratic west. They key is to be prepared if that is the case.”

“But will either Britain or France react? I suppose they will if this belligerence keeps up but when? What will be the last straw, the union of Germany and Austria? Will they allow Germany to become stronger than it was before the Great War?”

“Who knows…” answered Aldercreutz whimsically.

“You’re the intelligence chief. With all respect, I think you should.”

“I know a lot of things Mr. Schlyter, but I cannot anticipate the fancies of capricious democracies, much less the methods of tyrants or the lengths that either is willing to go. As we speak, I have no less than two contacts in Germany. These agents can undertake whatever task I ask them to do, but unless Hitler has a manuscript of his precise intentions gift wrapped on the table of the Wehrmacht office in Berlin, or wherever else my agents can find it, we cannot know Hitler’s intentions. Now sir, good day.”

The phone was slammed down and the intelligence minister tossed a record on to the gramophone. The Blue Danube began playing.

Last edited:
That is a very nice castle pic.

There are definitely clouds on the horizon.

Good update.
I like the fact that Carlos is operating from an old castle rather than some dreary bunker deep below the Scandinavian mountains, and it's much more stylish than some villa in Stockholm.

Oh, and Vättern is located north of the city of Jönköping, not too lovingly called "Sweden's Jerusalem". So yes, it is an extremely isolated district :D

Good work!

Mr Hearts said:
Which castle is that?
It's not Karlsborg's by the way? No that's more inland...

Keep writing!

Can't identify the castle on the picture I'm afraid. But it's deffo not Karlsborgin the picture. Although Karlsborg is on the nortwestern shore of Vättern so it could be storyvise. I doubt that the picture is an actual castle at the shore of Vätten. But I'm no expert so hey... It could be a restored Nääs castle, that would be very alone since there is no real life for quite a bit out there. :p

Oh, and please carry on Chesterton with your interesting AAR. You can actually manage quite okey as a democratic Sweden a part of the allies. Well, that is if the US and UK comes around to actually invade Europe, when it comes to the AI nothing is to be taken for granted.

Chapter 3

stockholmriksdag08053cx1.jpg

Riksdag Building

Per Albin Hansson looked at the calendar hanging in his Riksdag office. It was June 19th. After four years as Sweden’s leader he had just been forced out by a hostile Parliament. The ex-prime minister packed his remaining belongings into a large box and hustled
out the door. Passing by the central chamber, he noticed that it was conspicuously empty. Even members of the victorious Farmer's League had already left. It seemed they had determined to mercifully revel beyond the sight of the defeated Social Democrats. A somber glance toward the golden-yellow cross emblazoned on a fiery blue banner draped from the ceiling was Hansson’s last act before exiting the stage of politics.

He arrived home by streetcar to find his mailbox overflowing with letters of support and thanks for his years of service. For once there was no work to be done so he settled down in the living room and read the letters as his wife prepared dinner. His first instinct was to attempt to answer each letter; however he soon realized that such a task would be colossal. It was enough to simply read them he concluded.

After several minutes of perusing, he saw a note of particular interest. The writer was a Mr. Olof Jaakon and he claimed to have great knowledge on the inner workings of Hitler’s Reich. Obviously this assertion had to be viewed with much skepticism and the entire communication contained very little of this supposed knowledge. All that was mentioned were a few words concerning Germany’s military buildup: no great secret. But Hansson thought it best to contact the man. Mr. Jaakon was most likely a dishonest charlatan, but just maybe he was telling the truth. If that was the case, Hansson might recommend he be sent to work at the intelligence ministry under Mr. Aldercreutz. Sweden needed as much reliable intelligence as could be obtained concerning her neighbor across the sea.

-------------------------------------------------------

The Summer Government of the Farmer's League resulted in the temporary replacement of most of Sweden’s main cabinet members. Prime Minister Hansson was replaced by Axel Pehrsson in Bramstorp, a member of the Farmer's League or the Bondeförbund. Foreign Minister Rikard Sandler was replaced by Karl Westman, Vilmar Ljungdahl took the place of Ernst Wigforrs as Minister of Finance, and Thorwald Bergquist replaced Security Minister Schlyter. Aldercreutz retained his position, as did Nygren and the heads of the Air Force and Navy.

summergovrt0.png
Swedish Statsrådet during the summer government,19 June-22 September​

Though the new cabinet held power for less than three and a half months, their policies significantly hampered the industrialization project, cutting total construction efficiency by approximately nine percent during the course of their summer government. The Bondeförbund was not intentionally incompetent but they neglected, in part, the strong buildup policies of Hansson and the Social Democrats. It was, among other things, the extensive resources devoted to the project that caused Hansson’s party to lose support among some members of the Riksdag in the first place, thus there wasn’t great incentive for the new prime minister to fully maintain the program. However, it is important to note that Bramstorp steadfastly assured the continuation of the project despite the popular sentiment of many including calls for drastic financial cut-backs by members of his own party.

industrysummerfy1.png
Industrial construction inefficiency during the Summer Government

icsummerpr1.png

A growth in consumer goods demand during the Bondeförbund Government results in the inefficiency

On September 29, Hansson and his former cabinet re-entered the Riksdag building following the collapse of the Summer Government. Aldercreutz was absent, apparently still living in the remote Vattern castle, but the rest of the ministers were present and those who had been temporarily ousted felt as conquering heroes as they walked into the vast hall of the parliamentarians. Gustav V and Per Albin Hansson both congratulated Mr. Bramstorp in front of a full chamber and the torch was passed back to Hansson and the Social Democrats.

Last edited:
Well at least that period is now over.

Good update, just a few small things: may I suggest that you change "The Centre Party" into "The Farmer's League"? That's what "Bondeförbundet" means, and what the party was named until 1957, when it was re-baptised to The Centre Party. Also, "The Bondeförbundet" should either be The Bondeförbund or Bondeförbundet.

You handled the political intrigues very well. And it's a sign of skill to be able make interesting updates out of uninteresting game-events.
And what's a finn doing helping Sweden gather information about the nazis?

Chesterton said:
.... but unless Hitler has a manuscript of his precise intentions gift wrapped on the table of the Wehrmacht office in Berlin, or wherever else my agents can find it, we cannot know Hitler’s intentions. Now sir, good day.”[/SIZE]
[/FONT]

But he did Mein Kampf :D

OK so maybe not quite enough to divine his military plans but... you do get the out line.

stnylan: Luckily it only lasted a short time and I knew the social democrats would be back.

Eams: Thank you. I think I've corrected everything and you'll have stay tuned to find out more about Jaakon.

Adamc1776: Good observation. I actually thought about that as I was writing. I suppose Aldercreutz either hasn't heard about Mein Kampf or just doesn't take it seriously like most people at the time didn't seem to...at least they didn't seem to take it seriously enough.

Sedated: Thank you!

Chesterton said:
Thank you. :)

This is my first AAR attempt. I'm using HoI2 DD 1.2 (I know I should update to latest patch.) ;) I hope to be able to update every few days.

Err... I thought 1.2 was the latest DD patch?

Anyway, nice start, will be following.