• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 19

A road of russet dirt sat slightly sunken among a peaceful part of the untamed Götaland plain, capriciously cutting up a shallow slope, after having deviated from the main thoroughfare, and terminating against a painted red blotch that sat atop the distant line of the horizon and blazed as a minute crimson fire against the overcast sky. From a somewhat closer view, the blotch became a traditional farmhouse, its planks smeared in rich Falun red and its trim an immaculate white. In its foreground, a vague patchwork of autumn colors began to materialize among the wild bristly grass and yellow-topped weeds on either side of the approaching road; they were the imprecise fields of barley, oak and wheat in full maturity and ready for the late harvest. From an even closer view, the house revealed itself to be something of a rural manor; it was roughly twice the size of a typical farmhouse yet still maintained the trappings of quaint agrarianism, as evidenced by its possession of nearly identical architecture to the later style. Behind it, a pair of metal silos rose from the reverse slope. In front of them, was a dense copse of very dark pines that ran along the crest, extending a few hundred meters from the manor house to a white fence which enclosed a vast pen of pigs. Presently, only a few of the animals could be seen from the approaching road. They were wallowing in a bed of dry dirt, and their cries echoed across the landscape reaching as far as the main road where a suited gentleman was turning toward the farm as an automobile raced off, sputtering noisily behind him.

Inside the great house, the imposing shape that was Mr. Axel Pehrrson-Bramstorp laid languidly on the antechamber sofa. His face was shielded with the morning’s paper and several crumbs of cheese were spread across his gently bobbing chest, as great snores repeatedly sounded as mild reports from his throat. The self imposed agricultural minister had spread the entirety of the first weekend since Per Albin’s announcement in a similar fashion, this in spite of the massive unrest that had gripped the nation as a result.

It was just past nine when his daughter, Teresia, walked into the room. She was a small, heavy-set young woman whose hazel eyes commonly glowed with certain compassionate thoughtfulness. Below a rough chestnut main, her face was a picture of innocent strength. She grabbed her father’s shoulders and softly shook the old man.

“Wha-what is it?”

“Father, you can’t just lay there all day. What will people think if they know that a government official is spending his days napping when the country is navigating such perilous straits?” she asked with a definite tinge of annoyance.

Bramstorp leaned forward with a drowsy smile.

“My dear, no one will ever have to know,” he said wryly. “Agriculture is my business anyway. I don’t have time to be concerned with these trivial matters. After all, what is of greater importance, the sugar crop or the potential global conflict? Come now, tell me. The answer's fairly obvious, I think.”

“Oh stop it!” Thersia cried merrily, though her words were meant. “Clean yourself up too, look you’re a mess. Mr. Sandler will be here any moment.”

“Sandler?!” Bramstorp cried.

Within a minute, there was a knock at the door. Bramstorp slowly lurched toward it and as he opened it, the cold exterior air rapidly swirled across the opened portal immediately chafing his hands, and he saw Rickard Sandler standing in the doorway, laden in full winter clothing. At first, the foreign minister’s eyes were fixed to some unknown object off to the side making his somber red-hued profile plainly visible to his host, if only temporarily. Behind him lay the descending dirt path which wound down through the crop covered slope. Finally, after a few moments, he turned to greet Bramstorp, offering a gloved hand and then tipping his hat to Teresia who suddenly joined her father at the door.

“Step inside Mr. Sandler. Get out of the cold.” called out Bramstorp as he strode inside the foyer following the initial exchange of formalities. “Close the door behind him Teresia and Mr. Sandler you can take a seat in the back parlor. Just follow me. Care for a cigar? A drink?”

“Um, no thank you sir,” Sandler replied as he crossed the threshold and began to follow Bramstorp and Teresia.

“Allow me to take your hat and coat Mr. Sandler,” Teresia said pleasantly.

“No thank you Mrs. Bengtsson. I find the air exceedingly cold and I do not plan to stay very long.”

The trio entered into the parlor, a room that was elegant in its rustic fashion, as the traditional festive songs of Sweden had become adopted, in some measure, within the classical sphere. Once they were seated, it became clear to Sandler’s companions that he was preoccupied or perhaps was struggling to order his thoughts for it was only after a long mutual pause that he finally started to voice his purpose

“Is your son-in-law Esben here?” he asked of Bramstorp who subsequently nodded in affirmation. “And your wife?”

“Yes. Do you want me to get them?”

“Please do sir. I wish to speak to you’re entire family.”

“Maids, butlers? Shall I fetch them also?” Bramstorp laughed.

“No,” Sandler responded grimly, apparently having little patience for humor.

The requested duo was eventually added among the group, forming a pentad within the parlor. Sandler took a seat and finally removed his hat, a black top hat around which was tied a bronze colored sash. Bramstorp subsequently noticed a slight graying of the roots about the left side of the foreign minister’s scalp.

“Now,” began Sandler. “you all know that the likelihood that we will become embroiled in war has increased exponentially because of the Prime Minister’s recent call to abdicate our stance of neutrality. I do not think this is debatable; we are closer to war than we have been for many decades and…it is partly the result of my actions, or rather my agreement with those present at the October seventh meeting.”

“My son-in-law and I were there, of course,” noted Bramstorp whose curiosity was quite piqued.

“Yes and we were all in agreement that neutrality should be abandoned, myself included, and that we should seek an alliance with the United Kingdom and France. However, I have come to deeply regret this decision. I want to be a peacemaker. I don’t want to be someone whose actions send my country, and perhaps the world, closer to war. Let me say however, that I hold no grudge against you gentlemen for making the decision that you did. How can I after all? I made the same one, though I do regret it.”

“What would you have Sweden do?” asked Bramstorp as he lay back on the sofa, his eyes riveted on Sandler, while he carelessly knocked burning embers from his cigar to the floor.

“Repair our relationship with Germany. There are those within the Reich who deeply want peace. I have met with them. Mr. Von Balfour himself is among them!”

“Well, I assure you we all want peace. That’s precisely why Hansson is pursuing an alliance; so that we might force Germany to abandon further expansionist aims out of fear for allied strength.”

“But that’s the problem. I don’t believe true peace can be born from threats and fear.”

“I certainly understand that position,” Bramstorp responded. “But, frankly, I imagine that a true and lasting peace is beyond the realm of this world. As for Von Balfour, if it is true that he wants peace than I am pleased and hopeful for such an end, but first he should tell his government to curtail its belligerence at the very least. Perhaps then he can begin to achieve his objective.”

“I agree,” replied Sandler as his eyes began to shoot uncomfortable glances wildly across the room. “I suppose complete and total peace is utterly elusive, impossible to fully achieve. It is a dream perhaps, but one which we should hope that all men aspire to.” He halted to discretely calm himself. Within moments he was as still as a Greek stoic. “I think that if we want peace than we should aim for that peace which is born solely from hope, charity and communication, the final being an essential aspect; the means contrary to threats and open war. I admit, that the German government may prove hardened and fixed in their precise objectives, whatever they may be. If that is the case, than we must defend ourselves but it has not come to that, not yet. There is still hope for peace even now, and I want our government to cooperate with the Von Balfour’s of Germany and Italy and Japan and exhaust all options before committing to an alliance. Do you forget the lesson of the Great War?”

“Again, I understand your thoughts, but where are you willing to draw the line? At what point should we become diplomatically aggressive in the face of Nazi belligerence?”

Sandler contemplated. His gaze swept across the room, quickly scanning the quartet of occupants, all staring at him. Esben Bengtsson’s lanky figure on the left was leaning against a bookcase of dark spruce. His hands were plunged into his pockets and Sandler thought he had the look of a university student despite the fact that he was training to become an army officer. Bramstorp sat straight ahead, his lively face hunched forward in anticipation. Teresia sat next to him. She gazed with a curious expression, dark and piercing, yet strangely comforting. Last was Mrs. Bramstorp on the right. She was elegantly dressed, bearing a casual pastel gown and adorned with a superfluity of jewelry. Her focus appeared quite divided and she regularly looked back toward the main hall.

“I don’t know,” Sandler finally answered. “I don’t know exactly how far we can still let Germany travel down her present path, but I know that, as of today, she has not gone so far that we must proceed on Hansson’s course.”

“Well, regardless of this discussion, it’s too late to alter things anyway. Per Albin’s announcement has set the wheels rolling on this thing and only a hostile parliament can stop it.”

“Alas, you are correct,” said Sandler as his head sunk and he clapped a hand to his brow.

The diplomat’s grief inspired an awkward lull that briefly ensnared his hosts. Finally young Mr. Bengtsson spoke.

“Mr. Sandler,” he said gently while strolling slowly forward. “I am sympathetic to your feelings. Although, I’ve joined the army, I am as wary as you are regarding war and conflict. I’ve only done so to protect my country and the people I care for.”

Sandler ordered himself once more.

“Oh, believe me, I understand. I have no quarrel with you for joining up. I know you don’t seek war. I know you want to defend this country and the people you love…a noble endeavor. Truly,” he continued with staunch tone and his voice rising to a low shout. “if war occurs I will be on the battle line with you Mr. Bengtsson!”

Bramstorp couldn’t help but let a laugh escape and the remainder of his family were smiling broadly.

“Oh Mr. Sandler! You are a patriot indeed!” he cried.

“I’m afraid I allowed myself to be carried away, but the substance of my words is true. But please understand that my beliefs are neither against the army nor Hansson for I understand that he seeks to do what is right. I even admire his steadfastness in the face of the massive protests that have nearly put him under siege within the capital. But, I disagree with him. I disagree with the Rickard Sandler of October Seventh.”

“We understand Mr. Sandler,” Mrs. Bramstorp said reassuredly.

“But you won’t change your minds about this?” Sandler asked to Mrs. Bramstorp more than anyone else.

“No, I’m afraid.”

“No, we won’t,” acknowledged Bramstorp himself. “But tell me, why have you come to see us? Why not take this up with Mr. Hansson or the king or someone superior to the minister of agriculture?”

“You are indeed superior to that post you hold Mr. Pehrrson-Bramstorp. You are a close associate of the prime minister as is your son-in-law. Thus, I confess, I hoped that I might influence you so that you two might in turn influence Per Albin. I had hoped that the ladies would be sympathetic to my position and therefore aid in my pursuit but I see I really cannot change your minds. Forgive me for this cloak-and-dagger operation. I shouldn’t have gone behind the prime minister’s back. I feel unworthy of the ideas I have just professed and the privilege of my position. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t dwell on it,” said Teresia.

“I won’t,” said Sandler as he stood up. “Thank you for you’re kindness everyone.”

“Will you leave so soon?” asked Teresia.

“Yes, my mission has failed," he said laughingly before becoming more serious. "I have other engagements but it’s been a pleasure to see you as well as your lovely farm. Though I dare say, the temperature seems quite cool. I fear it may endanger your bountiful yield.”

Moments later he disappeared out the front door and strode into the cold, stepping along the lonely road flanked by the tall cereal crops which led to a waiting auto, humming at the faraway base of the hill.

Last edited:
A hostile government may be possible, when are the next elections in Sweden?

GeneralHannibal said:
A hostile government may be possible, when are the next elections in Sweden?

Elections were held in the autumn of 1936, and then again four years later.
But I don't believe that the elections exist as events in the game.

Then I guess his government is assured.

Chapter 20

The medieval calendar on the state apartment wall echoed the apparently piddling news, by its illustrated letters and blue ink-etched numerals crowned with flora, that the year had nearly arrived at the eve of all saints. Though he knew it irrational, Per Albin, seated at his desk in the west end of the Royal Palace on the morning of October 27th, could think of nothing else but his daughter Charlotta, for to him, she was quite dead. Certainly nothing pointed to that suspicion being actuality. In fact, there was nary a single clue that could lead even the most unconventional of inspectors to legitimately take the leap that only her corpse remained on this world. But, the prime minister’s mind had lately been awash with nightmarish dreams and thoughts concerning his first born. He could not help but think that her presence had either vanished from the earth or changed to some unrecognizable form due to the machinations of her husband. He had even taken to grasping a portrait of her for long periods at a time, and would simply stare so that her image would not be blotted from his thoughts. On this particular morning his wife was with him, dressed in something of a youthful mourning gown, an incidental though perhaps subliminal wardrobe choice. She stood a good distance from the window which overlooked the outer courtyard and the appendage of Trånsgund beyond. Through a slight crack among the scarlet curtains, she could see in both spaces a deluge of hostility. The crowd's collected cries easily penetrated the thin pane. It was irritating at first but after a few moments one gets used to that sort of thing and Mrs. Hansson eventually sat down quietly nearby her husband who himself was idly brooding with the framed picture clutched in his hand, though he offered no further review of it. They were as two prisoners of the populace; hold up in their tower and the reigning lords of the manor since Gustav had left on an excursion to the north.

As the day wore on, the temperature grew ever colder, the sky more jaded and blackened. A distant rolling mass of low darkened anvils lined abreast and with streaks of colored lightning flashing sporadically from their underside, slowly approached from the hinterlands of the country, throwing pulses of violet light across the city as the great rowed forms crashed together in their malevolent advance across the frozen fields of the Svealand air. Eventually, a downpour of icy rain began to fall, piercing like arrows and being swirled wildly by a perennial gust. A charge of thunder followed the splash of the first drops upon the pavement and the storm reeled forward at a frightening speed until the entire palace was essentially flanked and ensnared by low lying mists and still, in spite of it all, the cantankerous trilling of the crowds continued through the chaos.

Abruptly, as the grey masks were finally lifting themselves from the granite compound’s Italianate outer walls, a rapping echoed from the oaken door. It was a Palace butler, an established servant of his highness who was delicately holding an off-white envelope in his palm.

“A letter from Mr. Westman,” he said kindly before dispatching his delivery into Mrs. Hansson’s small lace gloved hands.

She carried it to her husband who subsequently removed a gold plated letter opener from a desk drawer and used it to carefully retrieve a hand written parchment inside. He scanned the thing curiously and his eyes lit when he saw the name “Charlotta” scattered about the later part of the message. What could Westman have to say about her? He had been in Japan for the past few weeks. Perhaps he’d found evidence of her! Or even found her! But, neither Hansson nor his wife could allow themselves to elevate their hopes for more than an instant. It was simply too painful. Instead they read the letter together, holding only a very reserved and tempered optimism.

Dear Mr. Prime Minister,

Brace yourself for you may find the contents of this notice bitter, but know that your daughter is fine.

As you are aware, I departed for Japan immediately following the conclusion of the Palace gathering of October 7th. My journey was swift, a mere few days in fact, since I traveled by air, hopping eastward across the Eurasian continent one dilapidated Russian transport at a time, stopping at many utterly anomalous airstrips along the breadth of the Siberian steppe. I must say that, even now, I still bear burn marks about my eyes and mouth, a harsh effect of an even harsher climate. Needless to say, I was glad to finally arrive in Vladivostok, that most curious Slavic enclave on the Pacific, for the weather was significantly milder there and the relative warmth of Honshu lay just distant, a simple aerial foray to the southeast beyond the Japanese Sea. On the 14th, I made the journey; a very queer one it was, jarring to say the least. About two hours in, a flight of aircraft came into view. They were traveling on a path perpendicular to us, and we could see the bright red sun painted on each fuselage as they came near. I imagine they were bombers since they were very large and had several guns sticking out from about their bodies. One of them fired a burst in our direction sending a short stream of flashing yellow bullets sailing just above our port wing. I assume the gunner was only having a little fun since he stopped quickly and really made no further attempt to wound us, but it was quite terrifying, I assure you. I can hardly fathom the intensity of actual airborne combat. Of course we all survived and the transport proceeded onward and after about three hours, we touched down on a very grassy and poorly maintained airstrip near Kashiwa. Well it was more of a cleared field really; there was no tower, no hangers save a single oversized barn, and no evident fuel containers. A few old looking structures stood off in the distance but aside they and the barn, there was nothing save a surrounding ring of thicket. The location mattered little to me though, except for the fact that it seemed that the local authorities had gone to the trouble rolling in the red carpet in anticipation of my arrival. Aside from the poor location, there were no dignitaries or menservants or whatever to greet me. I was simply alone, as a European commoner tossed into a country in which he only has a passing grasp of the local tongue. Where are the receivers, I thought. The local government officials? A simple chauffered car? There was nothing.

I turned to several of my fellow passengers, mostly Russians, a few Japanese and Asiatic folk. Those I could communicate with were also surprised at the location. They had been expecting to land at a strip nearer Tokyo; apparently many had made this journey numerous times before and they seemed as bewildered as I was that we had ended up in this backwater complex.

We could get no satisfactory answers from the pilot, a great grumpy Russian fellow who stonewalled to no end, or the local indigent workers who seemed totally ignorant of our predicament and also spoke an unusual language, one I’ve never heard before. Thus there was nothing to do except march down the road ourselves and as the people became aware of my status, they elected me their chief and we strolled along the forested lane, with I at the head, and we together hoped we might soon come to some vestige of civilization.

We marched like military figures at first, royal fusiliers of Gustavus we were; but soon my little band succumbed to aches and fatigue until we tramped along as an army surging with ever slower steps toward the unseen Nieman. Happily though, no one was on our tail; but, I guess such a reality would have been welcome. Better to be picked up by a grudgingly amiable Japnese official than to everlastingly tread about amid the endless maple red canopies and unusual miniature shrubs that sat like floral beings along the path, keenly amused as they watched a group of tired men trudge past. I was thirsty. I was hungry. We all were of both desires and moreover we were tired, extremely so. The day eventually grew dark. It was subtle at first; there was only a slight dimming of the blue sky. Then night fell rapidly, like a sprung trap. We were all trapped in its merciless clutches, at the mercy of only the moon who dared not show her face that night. Indeed, we were lucky that the road itself was of a peculiarly whitish dust or else we may have lost our way in the blackness.

By this time, I had already mulled over the possible roots of this predicament several times. The question of why we were abandoned burned throughout my mind. My natural thought was that the Japanese government was angry at Sandler and I for having rummaged around and discovered some enigmatic ties with Germany about a month before. Perhaps this was their bloodless way of doing away with me. Maybe an attempt on Sandler’s life was next. Obviously this was all conjecture, but I seriously began to believe it. What other explanation could their have possibly been? And the Japanese bomber shooting at our transport? A botched assassination attempt? No, it couldn’t be. I was letting myself stray too far from reality. Anyway, survival had to come first, before anything else. I was beginning to despair though. My only source of comfort was that the road must lead to somewhere. However, I continued to be plagued with not wholly rational fears that it might simply lead to a desolate rock by the sea. I pressed forward nonetheless and led my charges on in a frenzied state. I sincerely thought I would soon go mad.

Then, like a provident parting of the sea, a flood of lights appeared before us. They were dazzling, amazingly so! The sky above the desolate reaches of upper Norrland seems like a strange child’s collection of pesky fireflies in comparison. We were saved!

Once our eyes adjusted to the light, it looked as though we were at the head of a village thoroughfare. One of my companions, however, unleashed a terrific shout and proclaimed that we were in a suburb of Tokyo. He was a Byelorussian gentleman, and a self-proclaimed Japanophile. To celebrate, he led us on a final exhausting walk of several blocks to an elaborate restaurant in a more urbanized area of the city. The place was heavily populated with Europeans and the only natives present, besides the workers, seemed to be those with hefty wallets. The Byelorussian ordered us to sit down and he began communicating an extraordinarily lengthy order to a Japanese waiter. The remainder of the patrons meanwhile gawked at our dirty and disheveled appearance. Needless to say, I was relieved to have found the city and successfully escaped the desolate airfield but I was still very troubled about the root cause of the whole ordeal.

I determined, however, to cast my vexation temporarily out of my mind. For the time being, I would sit and rest in my chair and enjoy a lavish eastern meal with a band of newly discovered comrades, the men and women who had struggled with me so doggedly.Thus, when our supper, a very late one indeed, was served, I dived in with unrivaled gusto as our group quickly threw upward a joyous and clamorous air that ensnared the establishment and fixated our minds from all things exterior; that is, until my turning head swept across my right side and caught the sight of a pair of wondrous eyes; pretty blue eyes that stared beautifully yet anxiously to one side. My glance passed over the woman since my brain could not react quickly enough, but then I looked back. A happiness and a fear simultaneously filled my soul. It was Charlotta. I had found her. I have never seen your daughter in person, but I recognized her gentle image from the portrait you showed me a few months previously. Her picture made my spirit become afloat for reasons that I cannot comprehend. I then deftly glanced to a point adjacent to her. I let slip a flashing smirk, the kind one gets when poor but expected news is delivered. It was Mr. Olof Jakkon. But despite his fairly ugly reputation, he did not transfer the impression that he was a menace, or some other beastly creature. He seemed instead like a very unassuming and caring man, even a little grieved. Maybe I’m wrong, but I like to think I can read people a bit.

I’m very sorry to say that my reading could never be finished. Within seconds, a suited man, a European, stepped up behind Jakkon, produced a silver pistol and delivered a round into the unfortunate man’s head. The resulting scene was chaotic and horrific. You can imagine, I sure. Thankfully, Olof Jakkon was the only victim of this brutal maniac, who then began a ridiculous escape into the attic by pulling down a ceiling panel and climbing inside the resulting hole. He subsequently vanished. The attic was thoroughly searched but he was mysteriously gone. Charlotta is safe though, however I fear very mentally scathed. I will pray for her indeed.

After the close of this sad event, for the lose of any man is sad I believe, I checked into a downtown hotel and spent a few very sleepless hours thinking over the preceding day until the quintessential red sun rose above the ocean of wooden pitched-roofed houses in the morning. Stepping onto the second-story balcony of the little building, I spied a pair of familiar pedestrians walking below; it was the Byelorussian man from the previous day walking with another one of my hiking companions, a middle-aged Dutch lady whom I did not converse with much. They entered the front door. Within a minute, there was a knock at mine. It was them and I graciously invited the two inside, admitting I had no food to offer. The Byelorussian, Tymon Gorski was his name, laughed it off and said he was still full from the night before. Then he asked me what I knew about the man who had died. I lied and said I knew nothing. He asked what my profession was. I admitted I worked in Sweden’s foreign ministry. He asked me what my position was. I said I was the ambassador to Japan, and began to think the conversation something of an interrogation, only without restraints and glistening devices on the table. He then asked very pointed questions about my work, and spoke in an increasingly aggressive manner when he realized that I was not giving much up. Meanwhile, the Dutch woman stood by idly, but I could see she was desperately trying to gauge my mind. She was almost trying to look inside my skull. Luckily she was not sufficiently tooled for such an endeavor. Gorski continued to pound me with questions. He kept trying to sound genial but it was absurdly obvious that he was becoming angry and frustrated with my meaningless answers. I began to see that his questions pointed toward Sandler’s and my recent investigation which uncovered German-Japanese links but the man would not come out and directly reference the event. Finally, I made some excuse about a previous engagemet and hustled them out the door. I then fled to another hotel. I have heard nothing from them or anyone else since. It is now the 20th and I still await an audience with Japanese statesmen. I will pray for Charlotta and Jakkon and I hope to uncover the truth behind these strange happenings.

Sincerely,
Karl Westman

After the entirety of the letter was finished being read, the Hanssons looked into each other’s eyes. Mrs. Hansson’s brown pupils were welling with tears and Mr. Hansson fought to keep his dry for just a moment before collapsing into his wife’s arms.

It was ironic, each thought silently, that the death of Olof Jakkon could afflict them so heavily when he had been the cause of so much grief and sadness. But they knew that Charlotta, who had so much love for her now-deceased spouse, was suffering terribly. And the chanting crowds no longer mattered in the slightest.

Last edited:
Quite simply, he has no one but himself to blame. If he had not cast her out - which he did by his actions - then this would not have happened. If Carlotta were to blame Jaakon's death at his feet, she would be right to do so.

Thanks for the response Stnylan and I'm glad to see you back on the forums.

Regarding your comment: In Hansson's defense, I can only say that (as far as we know) his motives in trying to spilt apart Charlotta and Jaakon, apparently stemmed from a desire to protect his daughter given Jaakon's general enigmaticness and his suspected foreign intel connections.

Chesterton said:
Regarding your comment: In Hansson's defense, I can only say that (as far as we know) his motives in trying to spilt apart Charlotta and Jaakon, apparently stemmed from a desire to protect his daughter given Jaakon's general enigmaticness and his suspected foreign intel connections.
The case for the prosecution might say that the road to hell is paved with good intentions ;) I think it is quite a good example of how by trying to prevent a thing - in this case harm to his daughter - Hansson has only ensured that thing has come about.

There might be a possibly wider analogy here with war, as well. As in, Sweden is trying to prevent war...

Very nice AAR. I have just read through the whole of it up until this point in one sitting now and I look forward to further updates.

I'm not too familiar with vanilla DD events, but it sounds odd that there would be no election event. Perhaps you turned paternal autocrat in your other Sweden game and did not receive the election event because of that?

Chapter 21

The following day, another letter arrived, this one from Intelligence Minister Aldercreutz. It was dated October 25th.

Dear Prime Minster Hansson,

Once again I offer a report of the happenings regarding the war in the Far East between the forces of the Chinese Nationalists and the Japanese Empire, a war that continues to tilt slightly in favor of the later. Two major movements have occurred in the front since my last communication; both of which are victories for the Rising Sun. The first is the considerable advance of the Japanese in the west, along the Wei He, which has resulted in the fall of Xi’an to Imperial forces and placed the Japanese on the outskirts of the mountainous Baoji. A continuance of the progress in this sector will result in the isolation of the neutral communists, though it may little matter since they seem to be growing increasingly irrelevant in terms of military power and thus could offer only limited help should they decide to join the fight. The second movement is the reestablishment of the Anqing salient which extends deep into Nationalist territory and offers a wide array of direction for any future Japanese advance originating from the salient’s head.

All in all, I believe that we can only keep watch to see how this conflict will develop. Each side has certain significant advantages and our intelligence is not sufficient to gauge the actual extent of those advantages for comparison.

Furthermore, we should be wary of an apparent growing relationship between the Japanese government and the Nazis.

Regarding more local affairs, your public advocating of the abandonment of neutrality has inflamed passions in Berlin, as well as in Rome, Moscow and in the minds of various politicians across Europe but, I see no lasting detrimental effects which cannot be resolved peacefully. Nevertheless, the danger of war in the short-term may have increased substantially because of this and the recent acquiescence of the Riksdag regarding that recommendation.

Sincerely,
Carlos Aldercruetz

Hansson scanned a pair of illustrations showing the frontline in China. Something about the precise markings that formed the drawn Eastern terrain seemed to grab hold of him. The dusty environs of Western China, where the line ran near Xi’an, seemed to rise forth like a towering pagoda and reveal the humble hidden war-shattered lives of its people; people not wholly unlike Charlotta who also resided in that distant region of East Asia. Westman had seen her according to his letter, but in the aftermath of her husband's murder, he had lost sight of the young woman before he could even speak to her. She had vanished within the Tokyo metropolis and future searches by the ambassodor proved sorrowfully fruitless.

china8xo5.png

China Front-late August

china6hb5.png

Front-early October​

------------------------------------

stockholm8cu7.jpg

Royal Palace-October 29th​

The next morning, on the far side the Museum of Antiquities, the Viscount Halifax of the United Kingdom and King Gustav of Sweden quietly examined the many statues that stood along walls. The pair was among an antique collection of Romanesque looking figures of either dull bronze or marble purchased from Italy by the very late king, Gustav III back during the eighteenth century, and occupying the northeastern wing of the Royal Palace. The two gentlemen gradually shifted across the checkered floor moving from piece to piece between the two lines of smooth ashen columns that were joined at several cream colored arches overhead and ran the entire length of the room. As they neared the side closest to the palace’s main body, the chiming of a nearby clock resounding loudly eight times, partly overcoming the continuous racket from the protesting crowds outside, and they saw Carlos Aldercreutz abruptly step into the room. The man was more smartly dressed than he had ever been before, at least to the eyes of the king; but it was no great surprise for indeed the occasion was grand.

“It’s wonderful to see you my boy!” he shouted as he threw out an opened hand. “Oh, this is Lord Halifax, the Foreign Minister of the U.K,” he added some moments later.

“A true honor,” said the British diplomat as he made a deep bow and swept his hands across the air.

“It’s nice to see you, both of you” Aldercreutz replied softly before beginning to scan the room. “Taking in the arts, are we?”

“Very much so,” responded the king. “The Viscount has never experienced the majesties of Swedish culture according to his own admission.”

“It is true,” noted Halifax with a feigned tone of gravity. “I have been the victim of a most unfortunate and grave injustice, one which I hope to soon erase by knowledge of the Swedish arts. Just this morning, in fact, I went to the National Museum and saw some very lovely portraits…”

“Really, tell me about them my good man,” replied Gustav prolonging a sort of whimsical dialogue.

“…landscapes as well. Well, they were very pleasant for the most part. There were a rash of beautiful styles and fine works, and I must it admit that many are so wondrous that they can briefly imprison the imagination-brilliantly crafted tapestries, enlightenment era illustrations, gloomy seventeenth century paintings, bright colored eighteenth century oils; there is such a plethora that it would take a serious visitor many weeks to exhaust the artistic realm of his mind by viewing it all. But the piece that especially caught my eye was that depicting a veiled woman, rather the woman whose right side is masked by a lovely dark-colored veil; an exquisite portrait indeed.

“I believe I’ve seen it,” pronounced the king.

“Than, you know its beauty your highness. Really, I think its craftsmanship even surpasses that of the royal portraits hanging in the museum.”

“Hmm, well perhaps only some of them,” Gustav muttered.

“Whatever the pecking order that you prefer, Roslin’s Veiled Lady is a masterpiece and I should like to see it hanging in that museum as long as the aged building’s foundation holds; as long as the National Museum still stands…”

“We have little more time to discuss these matters,” the king suddenly interrupted. “The time for the signing of the appropriate papers will soon be upon us, within an hour if I’m not mistaken, inside the gallery. Yes, by nine Sweden will be one of the Allies. The defenders of democracy will have gained a new partner in combating authoritarianism and aggression. I confess that it took some pushing for me to see the rewards of this maneuver but I can only smile now, knowing that anyone who dares continue with overtly belligerent conduct will soon have to answer for their deeds. Furthermore, Sweden will have friends behind us should we be victims of a ruthless assault. Gentleman, the world situation is even more secure than ever and I feel like a toast. Come, let us retire into the golden gallery and let us then thank the Riksdag for their wisdom.”

The men followed the king from the room. They strode into the building’s main section and up a fight of stairs with Gustav, dressed in a dark single breasted high collar coat with a white sash wrapped diagonally about his slender frame, leading the way with Halifax and Aldercreutz traveling closely behind. Upon arrival into the room in which the alliance would soon be legally formed, the figure of a disturbed man sitting at the long table was presented before them, his head being roughly cradled by his fingers.

“I say, what is this,” cried Viscount as he approached the man. “You’re not a very pleasing portrait.”

The man’s demeanor rapidly transformed and within an instant he was standing at attention as if he was an attendee of a military academy, and his face betrayed no signs of anguish save for its flushed color-something that even austere stoicism could hardly wash away within only a short instant.

“Good morning gentlemen,” Mr. Sandler said as he tilted his head forward.

“What’s wrong my boy,” asked the king.

“Nothing; why do you ask?”

His companions stayed silent, only inspecting his reddened face with the exception of Aldercreutz who was deathly quiet but seemed untouched by anything external, and Sandler unleashed a large sigh as he began to lean anxiously against the table.

“Nothing’s wrong,” he repeated.

Of course, the impending alliance was the source of the foreign mister’s uneasiness but he could see no purpose in pouring forth his thoughts to the king and the British representative, especially now on the very eve of the signage of the appropriate documents. He did not want this path but it was clear that he could do nothing to prevent it from being traveled. And given that reality, why rustle any feathers by lodging a last-minute protest? Instead, he simply had to hope that friendship and brotherhood would triumph in the end, and he resolved to work toward that end.

“All right,” said the king. “Who cares for a glass of Kaisersthul?”

Over the course of the next half-hour, a plethora of men trickled into the room until a sizable yet orderly mob was present inside the gallery. All the important figures of the Swedish government were there; the Swedes clad in black frock coats, while the Brits (and the few French and other Allied representatives present) wore black morning coats, the later being a bit more casual and actively usurping the former’s roll in formal governmental events across Western Europe. The wines and other similar pleasantries were temporarily retrieved so that they might be brought out after the close of the event, and the parchments and official documents were rolled out. Places were taken as several of the less important figures jostled feverishly toward the center of the table behind which stood Sandler, Halifax, Gustav V, Per Albin Hansson, French Foreign Minister Yvon Delbos as well as diplomats from the other Allied nations. The important cadre posed for a smattering of photos, then the necessary dry pronouncements from the more important men commenced; there was a noticeable lack of fire in the rhetoric as every speaker choose his words carefully and sought to say nothing that might alienate Europe’s fascist camp further than it already was. Finally, the signatures were meticulously printed and the figurative bonds of alliance were sealed and lifted to soaring heights as a band began to play an old Swedish folk tune and the room became ablaze with casual conversation, and suit-attired gentleman as well as a few grandly clothed ladies milling about began feasting on the Palace’s luxurious comestibles with the sound of Swedish patriotism in their ears.

allianceyp4.png

Last edited:
Talar: Thank you for reading and for your compliment. You make a good point that I had not thought of. In my previous Sweden game, I waited until 1942 or '43 to enter the war and my slider moves may have resulted in some slighltly authoritarian government, but I don't have the save game anymore, so I'm not entirely sure. However there was no election in '36 of my current game despite my being a democracy. :confused:

Mr Hearts: I guess you have to wait and see about the first two comments. As for as the third, it wasn't clear from the post, but apparently Westman wasn't able to communicate with her during the chaos following her husband's murder so she just kind of dissapeared again.

stnylan: You make a good point. I'll leave it at that. :)

So now Sweden has committed herself. I almost feel sorry for Sandler, but only almost.

How did I miss two updates? Poor Charlotta, hopefully she'll be able to communicate with Westman sometime soon. Also, what year is it now and have you began any military buildup?

stnylan: Yep.
If I'm reading the almost correctly, you think Sandler should have made known his opinion?

Funkatronica: Yes, that very well may occur later on. ;)

General Hannibal: Actually the last five updates have taken place during October 1938 (wow, I didn't realize things were moving that slowly!)

No, I haven't begun my military buildup. I'm still waiting for a round of factories to be completed in early 1939;I know, it's getting late. :(

Chesterton said:
General Hannibal: Actually the last five updates have taken place during October 1938 (wow, I didn't realize things were moving that slowly!)

No, I haven't begun my military buildup. I'm still waiting for a round of factories to be completed in early 1939;I know, it's getting late. :(

You better be careful ;). Now I have two posts for two updates, YAY!

Chapter 22

It was the eve of November’s commencement and as the previous month had been dominated by domestic turmoil and widespread unrest resulting form the actions of Hansson, his administration, and subsequently the Riksdag-in abandoning neutrality then allying with the British Commonwealth and France- it was hoped that the next might be a time in which some level of reconciliation between the conflicting parties might occur so that a return to normalcy could effectively begin throughout the country. According to the prevailing view of Sweden’s relative hawks, the neutrality-alliance question was irrevocably answered and thus eternally closed to those who had taken part in October’s great urban tumults: primarily independently-acting civilians who lived outside the realm of the national government and politics at large. However, a certain wariness remained with regard to various external ideological forces which, according to several reports detailed by the intelligence ministry, continued to covertly press the issue of a “betrayal of national principles” or something quite similar to affect a continued demurring among the Swedish population. Some of the more radical accounts went so far as to paint an alarming picture of a Swedish government that was fast losing influence to a mysterious underground organization because of rife disillusionment which proceeded from the recent events. Moreover, a compilation of evidence from recent weeks pointed to this being a reality. Of course, there was little question that these specters who operated from within existed, but as a result of very limited counter-intelligence capabilities, the precise weight of their numbers was abjectly unknown, and what numerical figures were derived were products of either poorly informed speculation or emotionally spurred hypotheses. In short, the true clout of these phantoms was hidden behind a dark tinctured and undetailed veil, though Hansson’s actions seemed to have caused them to shift their faces to the very periphery of the shadow. Whether they were of German origin or not was unclear. Nazi agitators certainly roamed Stockholm’s streets as did Communists of varying sorts; but these groups, bathed by daylight, did not seem to be adding the ordinary run-of-the-mill civilian to their ranks, and further seemed to be declining in power. No; something else seemed to brew beneath the surface.

--------------------------------------------------

While standing on the prow of a little rowboat that glided across the waters of Lake Vattern toward the medieval fort of rough hewn stone which acted as his home, Carlos Aldercreutz recalled the great crowds of Stockholm. He had made more trips to the capital in the past two months than he had likely made in his lifetime, and by comparison to that mob-infested bastion of urbanity, the little wilderness in which he presently found himself seemed a panorama displaying shear loneliness. Oh, certainly it displayed more; the water’s Prussian blue surface was laden with countless powdery drops which continued to fall from an off-white sky, while being thrown into wild diagonal vectors by the wind. The ground was quickly hardening into an immovable platform of frost. The trees, still green, had their color masked by white, and the lake itself, still aqueous, offered a blue limb to anyone who was foolish enough to attempt a gauging of its temperature through self contact. Nevertheless, the intelligence minister could not escape an increased sense of desolation permeating his thoughts as he looked about. But, in reality that state was something he knew only too well. He was simply going back to it and, he hoped, would adjust accordingly.

The boat’s skimming rapidly came to a halt, as no one was rowing, and began to be pushed about by a series of contradicting currents and the little craft became like a wounded bird engaged in a desperate frolic among an icy setting. Aldercreutz steadied himself so as not to fall overboard, then he threw his body astern, grasped the oars on either side and prompted the vessel to start moving forward once again.

For a long period, his arms remained in an arduous circular motion and his body, covered with thick long furs, moved back and forth with the motion of the oars. Meanwhile his mind was captured by daydreams of himself as a great and noble arctic explorer engaged in a harrowing expedition amidst the furthest locales of the globe. His weary body could undoubtedly affirm this reverie since it was as equally strained and fatigued as one would expect for a far-removed follower of John Ross or some similar historical figure who has stomped about near the northern pole. Moreover, the pale red nature of his face coupled with its surrounding ring of light brown fur, exactly resembled those wintry-braving forbears. And his eyes, those glassy dark circles embedded in this face, peered ahead determinedly through the dropping precipitation, watching for the rising of the quartet rock towers; waiting for the Pole Star that would never be his.

At one point some forty-five minutes into his trek, he drove the wooden hull onto a random snow covered beach that was simply a small outcropping of fairly level ground encased by a shield of Gallipolian heights blocking access to the interior. It was here that he swiftly tossed together a pile of small timbers, branches and the like, and smashing solidified paraffin oil onto the collection, he used a match to induce the formation of a whitish flame after much effort. The resulting fire served to rapidly reinvigorate him and it was abandoned very shortly thereafter and left as a partially blackened medium-sized heap of a curious disposition sitting nearby the shore.

About a half-hour later, Aldercreutz’s strength was giving away again. It had in fact already dissipated to a great degree and consequently his pace of rowing was barely a third of what it had once been. He had made the trip from Jonkoping to his castle several times in the past, but rarely had he done so this late in the year when the force of winter was so potent and the with the dawn of the actual season so close. Happily, a single shallow cone planted atop a cylindrical shape of stone was suddenly sighted at a distance off the starboard side of the bow. It was Aldercreutz’s castle and over the next few minutes, it slowly presented itself before its occupier, rising from behind the frozen and watery horizon, until the whole medieval mass stood like an impending barrier facing a woefully unprepared group of besiegers. But, on second glance, it was a comforting retreat for a man long lost within the bewildering vicinities of the crowded Stockholm conglomeration and he was about to enter, becoming the confident besieged; under siege by the world which he grudgingly viewed as something of an inevitable adversary, or an obstacle at the very least.

In its final push to attain the proximity of its destination, the wooden boat began traversing an area of the lake covered completely by floating snow which looked like a bed of so many water lilies delicately balancing on the deep blue surface. A great and continuous swath was cut through this bed as Aldercreutz’s boat acted like a great burning scythe, engaged in a swing drawn out by the paradoxes of time. He looked up at the battlements as he came under the wall’s impending shadow.

lakekf2.jpg

No crossbowmen occupy the lookout from the towering nests. No archers hold their deadly projectiles within the little slits cut among the stone. No sword wielders or mounts are expected to occupy the inside since the time is roughly six-hundred years too late. And war will never touch this place again, for it has seen its fill of battle.

That was Aldercreutz’s consolation since the old castle was his one and only home and its destruction could only bring terrible anguish to him. Of course, the same can be said for most men with regard to their private dwelling, but others have homes of different sorts which transcend those that are tangible: in the hearts of loved ones for example, but with Aldercreutz that was not the case.

The boat was navigated to adjacent a small entryway that was positioned just above the water in the west wall. Aldercreutz tied the prow to a small metal hook extending from the wall, then marched wearily inside, stepping across a stone hallway and casting his outer garments to the floor as he went. Upon walking into the main lower chamber, an intriguing scene came before him. His historical collections, his wealth of golden age artifacts from Sweden’s royal courts of the previous centuries, lay strewn about, scattered and rived as if the victims of a terrible violence. A stone statue in one corner looked like it had been toppled and then beat into dust. The great Victorian table in the center had taken a terrific blow and it presently lay in two pathetic pieces on the floor. All the hung paintings were either horribly scared with some sharp instrument or had been cut out entirely, apparently stolen according to some fiendish method in which the frames were left and only the canvases was taken. The light fixtures were smashed. The furniture gutted and their wood frames crushed. The drawers of a chest pulled out, their contents littering the room.

Aldercreutz quickly rushed upstairs. A similar presentation; shards of china were scattered all over; the Poltavan divan’s innards hung out; crosses and relics were broken as were various regal trinkets. The oaken door to his bedroom bared a large hole above the knob. In fact the only thing that appeared intact within the upper chamber was the great circular bay window, the only glass portal in the structure. He then swept into his bedroom. The bed had been battered into rubble; so had his desk. His books were now mere shreds of paper that were as fallen snowflakes on the carpet. His lamp was annihilated, and lastly, the drawers of his file cabinet (containing all his intelligence information) were open, and empty. There was, however, a note hanging from the remnants of an overhead chandelier. Aldercreutz inspected it, to discover that it contained only the handwritten markings of some totally unfamiliar language. But at the bottom, a serpentine head was clearly etched in black ink. The intelligence minister exited the room and looked out the large bay window. The gnarled sap drenched wood of his longship prow bobbed up and down just beyond the glass. He moved closer to see that the vessel was indeed intact; an impossibility to be sure since it had been completely wrecked in a storm over a year and a half before. But, there it was, the very same Norse craft that he had once owned, totally unscathed and looking more seaworthy than he could remember it ever having been. The sight moved him to reenter the rowboat which was tied on the opposite side and bring it around so he could investigate it more closely. He did so, though he was too excited to properly clothe himself after having removed some of his garments earlier, thus he went outside very much unprepared for the cold. He would only go for a little stroll though, so what did it matter?

Within three minutes, he had brought the rowboat to side of the mysterious craft. He scanned it cautiously then stepped inside. His weight pressed the hull down momentarily but the resilient craft rose up instantly to threefold its normal displacement height sending Aldercreutz’s body flying upward and then collapsing onto against the port side barrier, and slipping beneath the water momentarily before he rapidly hustled back onboard. It was at this time, that he noticed a black billowing tower in the distance. It rose from beyond the bend of the coastline and from behind a vast forested grove a few kilometers to the southwest. The plumes obviously originated from a fire, but who had lit it? Aldercreutz, exceedingly cold and wet at this time, determined to immediately investigate and perhaps warm himself at the source of that darkness curling through the air.

Last edited: