Thread: How would you compare to Space Empire V

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourLost Empire - Immortals
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsHoi 2 Beta500k club

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, 104011556303312, Hamilton, Ontario

How would you compare to Space Empire V

Looking for a 4x Game for a buddy for his B-Day. Usually favour any paradox game over most others. However I heard SEV is quite good. How would you compare the to products. He loves MOO2. Which one should I pick up do you think? Maybe just both ?
    "FOR KING and COUNTRY"

"Don't enjoy winning if your not prepared to lose once in a while!"

www.facebook.com/wargamesimulations

Second Lieutenant Peace Phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETF
    Looking for a 4x Game for a buddy for his B-Day. Usually favour any paradox game over most others. However I heard SEV is quite good. How would you compare the to products. He loves MOO2. Which one should I pick up do you think? Maybe just both ?
    Well GC2 has been released since february 2006 while SE5 has been released recently. From what I have read, SE5 experience currentmy lots of bugs while lots of GC2 bugs are already patched.

Be aware that GC2 is only single player while SE5 depth is essentially experienced in Multi player since the AI will have a hard time to make a good use of all that can be researched.

The Place With No Darkness - Ministry of Love - Oceania
    Currently, GC2 is a better option. SE5 still has legions of bugs, and its true potential will come with mods, specially for the AI, which being scriptable this time will give us a huge TDM-like mod.

Given time, SE5 will eat GC2 with potatoes, but not now.

However, if coming from MOO2, two issues:

- No multiplayer.
    - No tactical combat.

GC2 would appeal much more if coming directly from Civ.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIISword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Room 101
    Given time, SE5 will eat GC2 with potatoes, but not now.
    We'll see about that.

I won't believe SE5 having a great AI before I see it. I simply don't think it'll happen with all these options around - scriptable AI or not. "Scriptable" alone doesn't say much as there are always limitations (take HoI as an example).

I'd love to see a really great AI in any complex game, but I don't see it happen within the next decade.

GC2 would appeal much more if coming directly from Civ.
    Huh?

Typing in all capital letters went out of style with FORTRAN.

Quote Originally Posted by G'Kar
    I won't believe SE5 having a great AI before I see it.
    It's not set in stone, but I have faith.

I simply don't think it'll happen with all these options around - scriptable AI or not. "Scriptable" alone doesn't say much as there are always limitations (take HoI as an example).
    True, but is something that comes with more complexity. CG2 AI can be good, but gameplay is rather simple. You've to choose. Personally, I take the former. And, as always... no multiplayer or TC are killers.

Huh?
    GC series are more akin to Civ than MOO2. "Civ in space" is the nickname I always read about GC.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIISword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

And, as always... no multiplayer or TC are killers.
    I'd like to see MP for GalCiv (although MP usage is overstated usually), but I never missed tactical combat. Quite the contrary actually: I like that I don't have to care about it (and no, "auto-resolve" is not the same).

GC series are more akin to Civ than MOO2. "Civ in space" is the nickname I always read about GC.
    I wouldn't try to compare GalCiv with MoO either, and from what I've gathered it wasn't Stardock goal to write a new MoO anyway. But even the name "Galactic Civilizations" is as close as you can get to Civ-something (without a license or a lawsuit), don't you think? Many GalCiv-MoO comparisons were written to trash GalCiv from the very first line, I think...

Typing in all capital letters went out of style with FORTRAN.

Many GalCiv-MoO comparisons were written to trash GalCiv from the very first line, I think...
    Comparisons between GC and MOO were expected... MOO set the standard for 4X games. The closer is a 4X to it, the better is received at first glance. But CG sold and is selling well anyway, AFAIK.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourLost Empire - Immortals
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsHoi 2 Beta500k club

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, 104011556303312, Hamilton, Ontario
    Thanks guys MP was a definite. Sorry I though GC had a MP component. I guess not. Well its the Buggy SEV then I guess.
    "FOR KING and COUNTRY"

"Don't enjoy winning if your not prepared to lose once in a while!"

www.facebook.com/wargamesimulations

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

United Bloody States of Metric F*cktons of IC
    I'm playing the SE:V demo to try it out...
    Chinese Historical Improvements (CHI) Project for HOI3

Consolidated China Improvement Pack (CCIP) for HOI2
    HOI2 | Doomsday | Armageddon | China players beware

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2

The restaurant at the end of the universe
    I'd like to see MP for GalCiv (although MP usage is overstated usually), but I never missed tactical combat. Quite the contrary actually: I like that I don't have to care about it (and no, "auto-resolve" is not the same).
    I agree about the MP (I rarely have the opportunity to play with others these days), but I disagree about tactical combat and I do hope they'll include it as an option if they do make GC3. With the amount of tinkering I do with my starships, I really want to control them on my own in tactical battles. While this would likely mean a shift in focus of sorts for GC, it's a shift I for one would welcome.
    “Those who disregard the past are bound to repeat it.”—George Santayana

"Never pet a burning dog."
    - Warcraft II

"I'm tired of this back-slapping "aren't humanity neat?" bullshit. We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are." - Bill Hicks

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

United Bloody States of Metric F*cktons of IC
    OK this is dumb.

So in Space Empires, intersystem travel is done through warp points. As such they are choke points.

To explore a new system you will have to jump through a warp point, without any clue what's on the other side. 9 times out of 10, it's another player's ship. The game will automatically declare war and attack that ship for you, leaving your empire at war 3 turns after game starts. If that's not atrocious design (and diplomacy) I don't know what is.

So I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who likes to play an actual civ-style game instead of a overglorified tbs.
    Chinese Historical Improvements (CHI) Project for HOI3

Consolidated China Improvement Pack (CCIP) for HOI2
    HOI2 | Doomsday | Armageddon | China players beware

Play Like A Champion Today Yakman's Avatar
    Deus Vult500k club

Blog Entries
    there seem to be a number of patches done on Space Empires 5. Is it a good game yeT?
    "Again again I say to you, Yakman speaketh the truth. -Petrarca
    Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth -- Pablo Picasso
    ++ -1000, History-Forum Banned 5 january 2006 ++ OT-Forum Banned 8 may 2007 ++
    OT-Unbanned 24 may 2014

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Yakman
    there seem to be a number of patches done on Space Empires 5. Is it a good game yeT?
    It's getting better and there's a good AI mod out but there are still a lot of bugs and GUI issues. Personally I think that SEIV is a better game at the moment and also really cheap.

The difference between the Space Empires series and the GalCiv one is that Space Empires has much more variety, tactical combat, better mods and multiplayer but worse AI, less graphically appealing and hard to get into in while GalCiv has a great AI, great graphics and more Civ-like gameplay but less variety of stuff you can do, no tactical combat and no multiplayer.
    "Losers " -Kaigon

Play Like A Champion Today Yakman's Avatar
    Deus Vult500k club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tombom
    It's getting better and there's a good AI mod out but there are still a lot of bugs and GUI issues. Personally I think that SEIV is a better game at the moment and also really cheap.

The difference between the Space Empires series and the GalCiv one is that Space Empires has much more variety, tactical combat, better mods and multiplayer but worse AI, less graphically appealing and hard to get into in while GalCiv has a great AI, great graphics and more Civ-like gameplay but less variety of stuff you can do, no tactical combat and no multiplayer.
    I've had Gal Civ 2 for a few months now... more than that actually... but I've never actually gotten around to playing it. I was just wondering if I should also get Space Empires V, but from your response, I guess that I'll hold off on that for awhile....
    "Again again I say to you, Yakman speaketh the truth. -Petrarca
    Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth -- Pablo Picasso
    ++ -1000, History-Forum Banned 5 january 2006 ++ OT-Forum Banned 8 may 2007 ++
    OT-Unbanned 24 may 2014

MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by mib
    OK this is dumb.

So in Space Empires, intersystem travel is done through warp points. As such they are choke points.

To explore a new system you will have to jump through a warp point, without any clue what's on the other side. 9 times out of 10, it's another player's ship. The game will automatically declare war and attack that ship for you, leaving your empire at war 3 turns after game starts. If that's not atrocious design (and diplomacy) I don't know what is.

So I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who likes to play an actual civ-style game instead of a overglorified tbs.

How many opponents and what mapsize did you choose?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIISword of the Stars IIVictoria 2

The minor races, which cannot utilize warp points, always defend their entry-points heavily. They're all essentially isolationists - they can't get out, so they try to keep anyone else from getting in.

Major races rarely leave ships on top of warp points. It is possible to inadvertently start a war like you said, but unlikely. Also unlikely that you couldn't quickly end it if it was a mistake.

The game has plenty of problems and I found the unmodded AI very, very weak, but your complaint was never a big problem for me over several games played.