• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
France should be able to crush you on the seas.

You have to really be careful now - but it's still winnable...

Seeing France declare war is a surprise, but that doesn't mean the war isn't winnable. I may be greedy, but if I had an unexpected declaration of war, I'd take the chance to cement my influence in Europe, to make sure they don't do things like this again, and Corsica might make a great Mediterranean port.

French DOW!

Was that an 'Oh dear' moment or an 'Oh F***' moment?

RGB said:
France should be able to crush you on the seas.

I wouldn't be so sure about that... how has the US Navy developed in this TL?

In virtually every Grand Campaign I've ever played, the French ally with the Spanish in the SAW. French AI has a habit of keeping hold of its wooden fleet, while American AI goes for modern ships. I've seen the Stars and Stripes fly over Paris far too many times...

coz1: Unfortunately they didn't jump on board. Although the threat of British intervention is helpful.

stnylan: Thanks. Yeah, I didn't check to see who Spain was allied with before being slapped with the DOW.

RGB: I was more worried about the presence of French troops landing in Panama or on the East Coast than their naval presence.

sanmartin: Not a bad idea... Corsica would be an excellent place to inflict some pain against the Med. fleets of the Italian states and French.

PrawnStar: It was more of a "woops" moment.

Dr. Gonzo: I'd say the French fleet is behind mine, but not much. My naval development has lacked a bit further than I wanted it to for much of the game. Luckily, I've got more boats.

Alright update is on its way shortly.

The Burning of Baltimore

Admiral George Dewey, commander of the Caribbean Fleet of the US Navy, was the first to engage the European invaders. After receiving orders to sail North and dock in Norfolk before sailing out to defend the Atlantic, Dewey moved his fleet out of the Gulf of Mexico. En-route to Norfolk, the combined fleet of Spanish and French ships caught up with him off the coast of Florida. In the Battle of the Keys, the US fleet attempted to escape into a friendly harbor, even as the French and Spanish ships fired into them. Luckily, for the Americans, it was the Spanish fleet that first engaged. While the French and Americans had progressed at about an even pace, the Spanish were still lagging well behind in the development of naval weapons. The flagship of the Spanish fleet was sunk within ten minutes of the start of the battle.

The sinking of their flag ship sent the Spanish fleet into panic. The captains of the Spanish fleet turned around and fled back towards the gulf, leaving the French to fend for themselves. The French were more than happy to comply. Dewey, trapped in the Keys, dug in for a hard fight. His flag ship, the USS Indiana, was badly damaged, and he lost two battleships to enemy fire. But the French damage was likewise significant. Rather than chase the American fleet as it broke out and limped north, the French fell back to Cuba, nominally to lick their wounds and await the coming of the combined Gulf and Atlantic fleets. But at this point John D. Long, former vice President and current secretary of the Navy, made a grave mistake.

george-dewey-3-sized.jpg

Admiral Dewey

Long ordered Dewey to return to port and repair in Norfolk, and he allowed the French fleet to go un-watched. The French then risked a daring assault. Leaving behind those ships too badly damaged, or too slow, to make the journey, the French and Spanish fleets sailed wide of the Bahamas and traveled up the East Coast of the United States. The French fleet made for, and began bombarding, Boston. Long, furious at the French assault, ordered the Atlantic and Gulf fleets to commit to destroying the French immediately. Even as the last American ship sailed North, the Spanish struck. On April 3rd, the Spanish fleet began bombarding the city of Baltimore, as Spanish troops unloaded North of the city and began a concentrated push southward. The US was caught unaware and unprepared.

General Leonard Wood, who was gathering troops in Washington for a prepared invasion of Cuba after the Franco-Spanish fleet was routed, now had a more immediate threat. Immediately Wood rushed his forces north of the city, to position himself between the Spanish army and the capital. Once position, Wood waited, he knew that before he could move against the Spanish, he needed to equip and prepare, and more importantly, he needed permission to assault an American city. His hesitation was costly. Even as the Spanish army began its assault, the French fleet was engaged by the Americans off the coast of Boston. With the combined might of both the Atlantic and Gulf fleets, Admiral Dewey was able to surround and crush the French fleet. Although most of it survived, the French had to pull back, and leave the American's victorious.

BurningofBaltimore.jpg

Burning of Baltimore

The Spanish fleet panicked and turned to flee, leaving behind the Spanish army. The Spanish general, enraged, took his frustration out on the city of Baltimore, still putting up some resistance to his occupation. Rather than capture the city, the Spanish army assaulted it. With cannons blasting, the outskirts of the city and those few militia units nearby to defend it were destroyed. With no opposition, the Spanish marched into the city, torches lit. The Spanish army burnt the capital building, and many of the older government buildings to the ground. The government of Maryland fled south to Washington, calling for the federal government to release Wood and send him north. The White House had no choice, Wood was ordered north.

Meanwhile, the secretary of state, Richard Olney, was busy ensuring the United States wasn't alone. After the American invasion of Italy, the French became more and more interested in affecting change in the Italian situation. Eventually, all of Northern Italy fell under the French sphere of influence, much to the chagrin of the Austrian monarchy. Now, with the French navy devastated and her attention turned westward, the Austrians were in a key position to expand their influence. Olney, in only a few days, convinced the Austrians to make their move into Northern Italy. Emperor Franz Joseph was only too happy to comply, and sent in the troops. The French, now realizing that they risked a too front war if they attempted to defend their Italian interests, had to pull back from their conflict with the United States, leaving the Spanish to fend for itself. Now, the real struggle began.

Well, that was less difficult than I feared.

Revenge will be all the sweeter now that there's actually something to revenge for...

To misquote

'Diplomacy is the extension of war by other means'.

Good work with the Austrians!

The perfidious Spaniards! How dare they burn Baltimore?! :eek: I hope Fell's Point still stands. ;)

You owe them some payback and with the French sidelined, now's the time for it.

Not to nitpick, but Baltimore is actually in the Washington province of the game :p

Regardless, the Spanish should pay a heavy price for such a transgression. I propose the sacking of Madrid :D

sanmartin said:
Not to nitpick, but Baltimore is actually in the Washington province of the game :p

Regardless, the Spanish should pay a heavy price for such a transgression. I propose the sacking of Madrid :D

Ack, he caught me :p Yes, the burning of Chestertown is much less dramatic.

RGB: Yeah, I was very surprised how quickly an offer for white peace came after I won that naval battle. It wasn't until later that I noticed the Austrians making noise in Italy.

PrawnStar: Thanks! Now that the diplomacy is done, we get to have the slightly more exciting aspect of war, the actual war.

coz1: Even better, the one most Catholic city in the United States is sacked by the most Catholic of European states. As to Fell's Point, I had to as the girlfriend about that (Being from Maryland). Given where it is, it would probably have escaped with very little damage. Areas like Towson and Parkville however are going hurting.

Heh, the Austrians were actually useful for something.

Quelle surprise...

Wade's War of Revenge
--

With the defeat of the French fleet, the American armed forces planned to meet in Baltimore and deliver a decisive and crushing blow to the Spanish. General Wood moved North with his forces out of Washington, while General Arthur MacArthur, in command of the US forces around Philadelphia, pressed South to force the Spanish to divert troops away from the attack on Baltimore. The final key was a division of cavalry volunteers, led by a dashing young Colonel with limited military experience named Theodore Roosevelt. The "Rough Riders" charged head long from Virginia, north past General Wood's divisions, and into the city of Baltimore. The cavalry was soon joined by eager militiamen who had been driven out of Baltimore. In a costly charge, the newly bolstered cavalry unit slammed into the Spanish defenses in the heart of Baltimore. Although the Spanish guns inflicted heavy casualties on the initial charge, including seriously injuring Roosevelt, the Americans reached the Spanish lines with enough force to break through.

The sight of this unsupported cavalry force smashing through the lines of the Spanish was enough to snap the already low morale of the Spanish forces. As the Riders plowed through the line, it collapsed on itself and the infantry fled back into the city proper. The Rough Riders left the militia to clean up the outer lines and continued on their way into the city after the fleeing Spanish. Hundreds of Spanish soldiers were ridden down or surrendered, only to find the Rough Riders unsympathetic to their requests. By the time the Spanish finally put up a resistance and stalled the American assault, over 1,200 Spanish soldiers had been slain. It was a route. By the time General Wood arrived with his army, the Spanish were in full retreat back to their fleet. Unfortunately for Spain, the American fleet arrived first, and closed the noose, forcing the entire Spanish expedition, save a few ships who were able to run the gauntlet and escape, to surrender.

roughriders.jpg

The Rough Riders assault the outskirts of Baltimore

This victory was the turning of the tide. With Baltimore liberated and the US army in full stride, momentum was now fully on the side of the Americans. Even before the Rough Riders' famous charge, the Pacific Fleet, carrying General James Franklin Wade and thousands of American troops set sail for the Philippines. But the invasion was to prove more difficult than planned. Spanish resistance was stiff, and three landings on the southern islands failed. Indeed it would not be until well into 1899 that the US finally established a full beachhead on the largest of the Philippine Islands. With the final target being Manila Bay and the large Spanish garrison there, the American forces set out. Led by the ferocious Wade, the Americans cut a swath through the dense forests of the island, 'liberating' the villages under Spanish rule. For the most part the Filipino resistance was eager to support, and used the weapons the Americans had smuggled in to damage Spanish supply bases and disrupt troop movement.

Even as the Rough Riders, and General Wood's army sailed to Cuba, and an American detachment in Haiti assaulted Puerto Rico, the Spanish garrison at Manila still held out. In May of 1900 the final assault was planned, and General Wade organized a two sided offensive on the port. But the Spanish, well aware of the coming Americans, lay in wait. The offensive was the largest operation since the Civil War. General Wade had 23 divisions at hand, the Spanish had fewer than 10. The Spanish army was positioned in four key locations on the Islands, with the two most important being around Manila, and the island of Panay. The Spanish forces at Puerto Galera were to be bombarded by the Navy, while the main thrust of Wade's attack was to come against Manila. Meanwhile a second thrust, led by General Francis Stark, was to assault the garrison at Panay. The plan was risky, but if it succeeded it would be the killing blow to the Spanish garrison.

Philipines.jpg

The Philippines
US or Resistance controlled
Spanish controlled

The assault began on March the 24th under the heavy and unfortunate sign of rain. Wade's assault continued nonetheless. Leading 10 divisions against 4 Spanish divisions in Manila, Wade cast aside the warnings of the local resistance, and instead assaulted the defenses head on. The advance went on for a month, and after 30 days of fierce combat, the American army had advanced to within five miles of the harbor. But they could go no further. The US fleet was attacked by what resistance the Spanish could assemble and temporarily driven away from the coast, while General Stark's assault on Panay ended in bloody repulsion. After a month of fighting and hundreds of casualties, Manila was still in Spanish hands. The victory was still just out of grasp.

Well, the Spanish are determined, but not very competent. The Americans are also not all that competent, but determined and have more people.

Victory is assured!

Still, that Rough Rider charge, classy and very memorable and makes for great reporting. I can just see the headlines of the day.

Some room to move certainly helped. You've got just a tad further to go before victory can be declared, which is really something considering how this war started.

Strategos' Risk: Thanks! That was my hope, that history remained 'realistic' without being just a rehash of real life.

RGB: Indeed. I always sort of looked at the charge of the Rough Riders as a rather foolish event, and so I was happy to let it play out like it did.

coz1: Indeed. I was really outmaned at the start of the war. The impatient gamer in me was half tempted to turn it in and try to make peace quickly.

Strategos' Risk said:
The Rough Riders just faced greater challenges and are actually defending American soil, not engaging in foreign imperialism. If TR doesn't get too hurt, he's going to end up looking like a greater hero.

A good point, except in this timeline the biggest achievements of Roosevelt's presidency (anti-trust work, workers rights, etc.) have already been achieved in large part due to the Progressives.