• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dr. Gonzo: Indeed, what does these countries think they are doing trying to be all independant... don't they know America is already independant?

JimboIX: Oh please, I'm sure the Americans will stop at just Haiti :)

RGB: Actually this next one is a little less useless

Dr. Gonzo said:

Couldn't be. They've got the French Naval Power don'tcha know.

I'd thought I'd subscribed to this but I guess not. :confused: Anyway, that oversight is now corrected. A very excellent AAR estonianzulu, I hope you paint the Americas blue.

Dr. Gonzo: Indeed, what does these countries think they are doing trying to be all independant... don't they know America is already independant?
Exactly! We already HAD the War of Independence and created a land of the free and home of the brave. Now all those stupid other countries need to get with the program and accept American hegemony. :D

On the roll indeed. At first I thought you might be presenting us a failed war (which would not have gone down very well) but in the end, very little casualties other than the plans of attack.

VILenin: Welcome back! I took an extended leave of absence so you probably just missed my return (dramatic as it was) and blue the Americas shall be, just because you asked :)

BTW: I am re-reading your "A History of Byzantium", very well written.

coz1: Given the numbers, there wasn't a real possibility of loosing that war, but dont worry, eventually there will be some real challenges for the American military.

Update soonish

A little empire-building in the Carribean. Will Haiti lead to more conquests I wonder?

Aloha and the Progressive Storm
~~

While American troops were establishing the new order of Haitian politics, another army, significantly smaller, was preparing to set sail from the Los Angeles Naval Depot. The army, unknown to the US Congress, was headed for the small island kingdom of Hawaii. Over the last 3 years, tens of thousands of Americans (up to 90 thousand at one point) had moved to the small islands, some for the fruit trade, and others for the life available in this 'virgin soil'. So many Americans, and Japanese, moved to these Islands that the natives rapidly became a minority. The American government knew that the Japanese, rapidly emerging from a long period of civil unrest, was expanding with the distinct purpose of capturing Hawaii. So, President Harrison struck first. Thousands of American soldiers landed on the island nation, and within hours, the American flag flew from all the Hawaiian Islands.

The presence of American troops on the Hawaiian Islands sent the Japanese immigrants into a whirlwind of rebellion. Led by progressively more violent rebels, the Japanese civilians on the islands led strikes against the US Army bases and against the fruit companies. After the murder of Admiral Worthington by Japanese rebels, the American troops fire back. Hundreds of supposed rebels were killed or arrested, and many others were exiled to some of the smaller islands. Territorial governor James Henderson Blount established the "Island System", in which different minorities were placed on different islands, although there was some intermixing, the races were separated in Hawaii.

180px-James_Henderson_Blount_-_Brady-Handy.jpg

James Henderson Blount

The victory went unnoticed by most Americans, who were busy with the rapid development of new railways, the opening of hundreds of new mines and factories, and the development of a large number of new unions, including the United Mine Workers Union. These unions helped spark mass strikes across the mid-west. The states of Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky were virtually shut down by strikers, demanding workers compensation, a minimum wage and other 'modern' industrial concepts. While some businesses and industries did cave in, many others called upon the state to send troops into end the strikes. This singular event would change the face of American politics in the years to come.

All across the country, Populist Party roles increased dramatically, including in the South. Led by former Virginia governor William Cameron, Southern Populists had dramatic success in the East and in the West. For the first time, a white politician found large support among Black workers in the South. Cameron was cheered by workers wherever he went. Soon American workers called his name when they went on strike. Soon other local populist leaders rose to prominence. These "Cameroons" helped organize Southern opposition to industrial and corporate power. Even as President Harrison worked the party into his own image, planning on the eventual transference of power to his successor, the South and the West were trapped in the throws of Populist Revolt.

AR_Clarke_John.jpg

James Paul Clarke, a "Cameroon" and reformer from Arkansas.

Looks like the battle lines are being drawn for another hard-fought election.

Throes.

-----

Hawaii went barely noticed? Heh. And which of the islands did the Americans get? The big one?

Populists! Yay! Arise, comrades!

Why do I get the feeling that there are going to be a lot of things in the future that Congress doesn't get told about? ;) And while I love a good Populist party, the Cameroons? :rofl: Nobody will be able to take them seriously. :p

Well done securing Hawaii, now America needs to continue to expand its perimeter in the pacific by securing more islands. Can't let those sneaky Japanese beat us to the punch, by jingo!

stnylan: And, unlike the last few elections, this time the Republican party might actually have some struggles.

RGB: Well, of course, would you want them to take little ones?

VILenin: The Japanese have been quietly moving over most of the Pacific, I was so busy in South-Central America that they got ahead. Competing at this point would just lead to war.

Ok, should have another update coming this weekend. FYI- I have updated both the front page's table of contents and the List of People and Places.

Estonianzulu said:
VILenin: The Japanese have been quietly moving over most of the Pacific, I was so busy in South-Central America that they got ahead. Competing at this point would just lead to war.
Then war it shall be! (or did you miss me say "by Jingo" before? :p ) This nation shall not be held back for anything! and all that good stuff. ;)

That the invasion of Hawaii went unnoticed is a sign that this US is growing far beyond what many might comprehend. It seems as though the next election will be hotly contested.

The clash between the party of big business and the party of the working man should make for an epic story.

I find it very interesting that your populist party has Southern roots. Sounds like the Kingfish (Huey Long) came along a little sooner than expected.

Dr. Gonzo: Silly Populists, elections are for Republicans! The populist party really became a nuisance after a while, I wasn't really prepared for them to have the success they did.

VILenin: Well, if thats what you want... Don't worry, real conflicts will be coming in the not too distant future.

coz1: Growth is difficult to define in this case. Although the US is bigger than IRL (with the addition of Victoria and the expansion of the US-Mexican border) for the most part imperial ambitions have been merely proxy rule, not direct.

Director: I'm looking forward to the showdown myself. The way politics developed in this timeline has been very interesting for me to flesh out. The slow but dramatic change from a religiously driven society to an almost anti-clerical one has been markably interesting. The fact that Southern organizations such as the Souther Christian Army have given way to populist politicians isn't too much of a surprise though, as both have been led by charismatic leadership playing off the fears of the masses. Unfortunately the south is coming off very uneducated in this timeline.

Something interesting is happening - proletarian conciousness in the USA sounds fun. Marx would be very happy - his economics and understanding of human motivation isn't all that, but there are a lot of interesting points in his analysis of early modern industrial societies.

@VILenin - what's wrong with 'Cameroons' as a political party - take a look a the opposition party here in Britain right now :)

It still sounds like a rock band.