+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Footsteps of Illustrious Men"- USA GC AAR

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Blog Entries
    Well, Populist unity didn't last long. Granted, labour strike massacres tend to polarise opinions.

However I can still see a strongish tendency for governing from the centre. Are you turning into Canada by any chance?
    The Russia Megacampaign - See my other work at my Inkwell

A YeAAR's Education - Rurikovich in Crusader Kings 1066-1393

From Rus to Russia - Kiev in EU3 1393-1836 - Get the Loading Screen Pack - Weekly Showcased AAR, 6/6/09 and 7/7/10 - WritAAr of the Week, 27/7/10 - Ambitions are denied and tasks appointed - Check out the first installment of the Medieval Atlas!

Duke of Bonbon, and also Chevalier Grand Croix of the Ordre Militaire du Saint Christophe.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Caught up once more and shocked to see the Populists doing so well. Very well described, however. I'll be interested to see how progressive ideologies continue to invade the various parties moving into the 20th century.

Keep it up!
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesGalactic Assault
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition

Blog Entries
    stnylan : You win extra points for playing the part of Cyrano

RGB: There has been a tendency to do that, but I suppose its sort of a reaction to the oft-times lack of competition. The easiest way to keep a strong opposition to your party from forming is to not go either extreme.

coz1: Thanks for jumping back on board. Luckily I'm updating slowly so you wont have too many problems

Update will be around some time this week.
    LibrAARian of the EU1 LibrAARy and the EU1 LibrAARy updates
    "Et pour ce devez amer, prisier, loer et honorer touz ceux a qui Dieu donne grace d'eulx trouver en pluseurs bonnes journees d'armes pour la guerre..."

Member; Ahistoric Association
    "The Footsteps of Illustrious Men"-USA; Victoria (AARland Choice Award X3)
    The Ink Well: Advertise your AAR's Use it, Love it
    --- I've been Glorified! and Canonized!

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    OK - at the risk of possibly displaying complete ignorance - Cyrano??????
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesGalactic Assault
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stnylan
    OK - at the risk of possibly displaying complete ignorance - Cyrano??????
    Cyrano de Bergerac, the character, uses the word and establishes it as a positive description of a person's character as he dies. A great play, and a great scene. And since you used the word panache, you get to wear the nose.
    "Et pour ce devez amer, prisier, loer et honorer touz ceux a qui Dieu donne grace d'eulx trouver en pluseurs bonnes journees d'armes pour la guerre..."

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Great political parties do tend to fracture when they achieve sweeping success and I see your Populists are no exception. What this war within the party will bring forth is open to conjecture, but it is the answer to Republican and Democratic prayers.

The Democratic party will have to lose the members who cling to the old plantation mind-set. Those men will find they have more in common with the Republican industrialists, anyway. The Democrats can plausibly form a coalition of conservative 'go-slow' Populists, perhaps enough to become the king-makers in the upcoming war between Watson and Allen.

Or not.

Some very fine extrapolation here. Most alternative-historians (myself included) are less courageous in forging out into the open seas of 'what-if'. Well done!
    "That which does not kill me, has made a grave tactical error." - Jerry Pournelle

Seven AARs and a picture, too: Director's Inkwell

I just finished reading through the whole AAR in three days, and I must say, a fascinating and captivating read, particularly the elections.

Having read it all so quickly, I think it's interesting to see how similar Allen is to Clay the Compromiser. He's crossing party lines to make everyone happy (Well, everyone except his own party, which incidentally happened with Clay too ), and that will most likely be the death of him (And considering the growing unrest in the Populist party, lets hope that death remains metaphorical).

However, I'm curious as to the status of Leon and Panama. Both have been part of the US for a while now, and perhaps they might be getting their chance for statehood.

Also, what happened to Alaska? The Russians didn't offer to sell it?

Blog Entries
    Director: Thank you! And indeed you are correct, the Democrats are taking a shift away from the plantation/agro based politicians to more modern politics. The importance of the survival of the Democrats and Republicans will become very important very shortly.

sanmartin: Awesome, welcome aboard! The Clay-Allen comparison is a good one, however some things will be very, very different for Allen. Particularly, Allen's alienation from his own party is not complete. In fact, those who oppose Allen do not, as of yet, outnumber his supporters.

As to Leon and Panama, they will both become relevant soon. Panama has a very real impact very soon. Leon has sort of been forgotten, its Population is almost entirely Mexican, and thus relatively ignored by most of the government. For the most part it is Texas' toy.

Alaska never got offered, rather unfortunately, so my expansion over the whole of the west coast (Since I control Colombia) will never be

Update tonight.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Estonianzulu
    Alaska never got offered, rather unfortunately, so my expansion over the whole of the west coast (Since I control Colombia) will never be
    Unless you want to fight Russia, which shouldn't be impossible. But it will make you look bad.

From Rus to Russia - Kiev in EU3 1393-1836 - Get the Loading Screen Pack - Weekly Showcased AAR, 6/6/09 and 7/7/10 - WritAAr of the Week, 27/7/10 - Ambitions are denied and tasks appointed - Check out the first installment of the Medieval Atlas!

Duke of Bonbon, and also Chevalier Grand Croix of the Ordre Militaire du Saint Christophe.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RGB
    Unless you want to fight Russia, which shouldn't be impossible. But it will make you look bad.
    Meh, not worth it. Nothing in Alaska but polar bears
    ~~
    The Spanish Invasion
    ~~

Even as Watson gathered and unified support against the President, and the Republicans and Democrats rebuilt their parties, activities abroad were to have a great impact on the United States. In 1886, the United States launched the USS Maine from the Los Angeles Naval Dock, and for a decade patrolled the West Coast of the United States. But during the Hawaiian revolts, the Maine was sent deeper into the Pacific to aid the transport of civilians in the Island System. After the revolts ended, the Maine traveled East to become a part of President Daniel's East Asian Mission. This was a series of naval trips to ports in Japan, China and the Philippines, to open up trade with Asia. Although the Chinese shunned the Americans, and the American-Japanese relations were strained by the Hawaiian revolts, the people of the Philippines took to the American offers quickly.

Under President Allen, this trade only increased, and the USS Maine became the font of it. What began as food, medical supplies and manufactured goods became engines, vehicles, and most alarmingly to the Spanish, firearms. Nominally to provide support for the Pro-Spanish factions of Philippine resistance, it was obvious to anyone who observed that the United States was supply a large number of small and large arms to the Philippine resistance. The Spanish were enraged, and attempted to open their own 'trade' with Panama. But unlike the Philippines, Panama was a booming economy. Huge numbers of white businessmen and investors traveled into the country and brought with them wealth and technology. Although it was by no means an even growth, the success of the poorer sections of Panamanian society left the desire to revolt almost non-existent.

The USS Maine

This tense situation was only made hotter by the rather astute use of propaganda by President Allen's secretary of state, Richard Olney. Olney, taking in mind the past success of President Ewing, began gathering support in the media as soon as he took office. And when news came to him of atrocities (many exaggerated) in the South Pacific by Spanish authorities, he was eager to leak the story as a reward to his loyal supporters. The stories of Spanish soldiers murdering innocent Filipinos spread like wildfire through the American readers who were eager for a distraction from the labor strikes and the Pullman incident. Suddenly across every headline and every page new stories of evil and atrocious activities spread, and with every passing day the surge of anti-Spanish feelings grew.

With this as the backdrop, the worst possible event occurred. The USS Maine exploded in Manila Bay, sinking with all hands on board. Immediately the accusations flew, with the American government recalling their diplomat from Spain, and the Spanish returning the favor. It was almost a forgone conclusion that war would arrive. Although Thomas Watson attempted to mobilize his Populist support against the war, it was too strong a tide to overcome. On February 6th, 1898, the United States issued a declaration of war against the Kingdom of Spain for the sinking of the USS Maine. President Allen had his diversion, and in a swift move captured the support of the Republicans and Democrats still on the fringes of the political center. However, one surprise still awaited the Americans.

Felix Faure, President of France

After the Civil War, he United States gradually grew close and closer to the United Kingdom, who declined to support the Confederacy. Indeed, this relationship came to a head with the Hawaii crisis. As the two major powers grew closer and closer together, the French became more and more worried. French interests in Africa were being corrupted by the English, and the French spheres of influence over South America and Mexico were destroyed by American power. All of this led to a very bitter colonial power in France, who's long time ally, Spain, was now engaged in conflict with the Americans. The last sphere of influence left for the French was South-East Asia, and the threat of America taking the Philippines was too much. With seemingly no hesitation, the French declared war on the United States to support the Spanish.

The declaration of war by the French caught the American military by surprise. Most of the army and navy was setting out of Los Angeles, while only a naval defense force and national guard detachment defended the East Coast. Suddenly, the plans had changed. Originally designed by Henry Ware Lawton, the plan to fight the Spanish was a three pronged attack. Step one involved blockading the Gulf of Mexico, step two was to liberate the Philippines, and finally to crush the Spanish Navy and threaten the Spanish mainland. But with the threat of a French naval force striking the East Coast, the Americans had to re-asses the situation. The navy, located in the Gulf, moved north, and part of the Pacific fleet sailed back east. Already, a setback had occurred.
    Last edited by Estonianzulu; 31-01-2008 at 02:41.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    The more things change, the more they stay the same...or do they? Interesting twist seeing the French jump on board. Any chance the Brits will assist?
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    *blink* I did not foresee a war with France at all.

Nice picture of the Maine.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

Blog Entries
    France should be able to crush you on the seas.

You have to really be careful now - but it's still winnable...

Seeing France declare war is a surprise, but that doesn't mean the war isn't winnable. I may be greedy, but if I had an unexpected declaration of war, I'd take the chance to cement my influence in Europe, to make sure they don't do things like this again, and Corsica might make a great Mediterranean port.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2EU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

French DOW!

Was that an 'Oh dear' moment or an 'Oh F***' moment?

Quote Originally Posted by RGB
    France should be able to crush you on the seas.

I wouldn't be so sure about that... how has the US Navy developed in this TL?

In virtually every Grand Campaign I've ever played, the French ally with the Spanish in the SAW. French AI has a habit of keeping hold of its wooden fleet, while American AI goes for modern ships. I've seen the Stars and Stripes fly over Paris far too many times...

Blog Entries
    coz1: Unfortunately they didn't jump on board. Although the threat of British intervention is helpful.

stnylan: Thanks. Yeah, I didn't check to see who Spain was allied with before being slapped with the DOW.

RGB: I was more worried about the presence of French troops landing in Panama or on the East Coast than their naval presence.

sanmartin: Not a bad idea... Corsica would be an excellent place to inflict some pain against the Med. fleets of the Italian states and French.

PrawnStar: It was more of a "woops" moment.

Dr. Gonzo: I'd say the French fleet is behind mine, but not much. My naval development has lacked a bit further than I wanted it to for much of the game. Luckily, I've got more boats.

Blog Entries
    Alright update is on its way shortly.

Blog Entries
    The Burning of Baltimore

Admiral George Dewey, commander of the Caribbean Fleet of the US Navy, was the first to engage the European invaders. After receiving orders to sail North and dock in Norfolk before sailing out to defend the Atlantic, Dewey moved his fleet out of the Gulf of Mexico. En-route to Norfolk, the combined fleet of Spanish and French ships caught up with him off the coast of Florida. In the Battle of the Keys, the US fleet attempted to escape into a friendly harbor, even as the French and Spanish ships fired into them. Luckily, for the Americans, it was the Spanish fleet that first engaged. While the French and Americans had progressed at about an even pace, the Spanish were still lagging well behind in the development of naval weapons. The flagship of the Spanish fleet was sunk within ten minutes of the start of the battle.

The sinking of their flag ship sent the Spanish fleet into panic. The captains of the Spanish fleet turned around and fled back towards the gulf, leaving the French to fend for themselves. The French were more than happy to comply. Dewey, trapped in the Keys, dug in for a hard fight. His flag ship, the USS Indiana, was badly damaged, and he lost two battleships to enemy fire. But the French damage was likewise significant. Rather than chase the American fleet as it broke out and limped north, the French fell back to Cuba, nominally to lick their wounds and await the coming of the combined Gulf and Atlantic fleets. But at this point John D. Long, former vice President and current secretary of the Navy, made a grave mistake.

Admiral Dewey

Long ordered Dewey to return to port and repair in Norfolk, and he allowed the French fleet to go un-watched. The French then risked a daring assault. Leaving behind those ships too badly damaged, or too slow, to make the journey, the French and Spanish fleets sailed wide of the Bahamas and traveled up the East Coast of the United States. The French fleet made for, and began bombarding, Boston. Long, furious at the French assault, ordered the Atlantic and Gulf fleets to commit to destroying the French immediately. Even as the last American ship sailed North, the Spanish struck. On April 3rd, the Spanish fleet began bombarding the city of Baltimore, as Spanish troops unloaded North of the city and began a concentrated push southward. The US was caught unaware and unprepared.

General Leonard Wood, who was gathering troops in Washington for a prepared invasion of Cuba after the Franco-Spanish fleet was routed, now had a more immediate threat. Immediately Wood rushed his forces north of the city, to position himself between the Spanish army and the capital. Once position, Wood waited, he knew that before he could move against the Spanish, he needed to equip and prepare, and more importantly, he needed permission to assault an American city. His hesitation was costly. Even as the Spanish army began its assault, the French fleet was engaged by the Americans off the coast of Boston. With the combined might of both the Atlantic and Gulf fleets, Admiral Dewey was able to surround and crush the French fleet. Although most of it survived, the French had to pull back, and leave the American's victorious.

Burning of Baltimore

The Spanish fleet panicked and turned to flee, leaving behind the Spanish army. The Spanish general, enraged, took his frustration out on the city of Baltimore, still putting up some resistance to his occupation. Rather than capture the city, the Spanish army assaulted it. With cannons blasting, the outskirts of the city and those few militia units nearby to defend it were destroyed. With no opposition, the Spanish marched into the city, torches lit. The Spanish army burnt the capital building, and many of the older government buildings to the ground. The government of Maryland fled south to Washington, calling for the federal government to release Wood and send him north. The White House had no choice, Wood was ordered north.

Meanwhile, the secretary of state, Richard Olney, was busy ensuring the United States wasn't alone. After the American invasion of Italy, the French became more and more interested in affecting change in the Italian situation. Eventually, all of Northern Italy fell under the French sphere of influence, much to the chagrin of the Austrian monarchy. Now, with the French navy devastated and her attention turned westward, the Austrians were in a key position to expand their influence. Olney, in only a few days, convinced the Austrians to make their move into Northern Italy. Emperor Franz Joseph was only too happy to comply, and sent in the troops. The French, now realizing that they risked a too front war if they attempted to defend their Italian interests, had to pull back from their conflict with the United States, leaving the Spanish to fend for itself. Now, the real struggle began.

Blog Entries
    Well, that was less difficult than I feared.

Revenge will be all the sweeter now that there's actually something to revenge for...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast