• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
The development continues as we reach closer and closer to the true crunch of the project. This last week, some clear major balancing issues have been done to strengthen Poland, as they clearly needed it.

One favorite concept from the original games was the concept of winter. In Eu3 that has been expanded to have 3 different types of winter, ranging from mild to severe. The map team has while working on proper names on the map, also been busy improving the look of mountains as well added support for winter being depicted on the map. The AI team has added in the exploration and colonisation AI now, while the gameplay team has focused on how implementing the system of gaining and losing cores. Basically, you need to maintain ownership for 50 years to assimilate a province into a core, while you lose a core when it has passed 25 years of you not even attempting to fight for it. Some additional diplomatic options were added this week as well, including selling of provinces and the option to use war subsidies.

eu3_oct_18.jpg

Here we see a battle as my glorious french army of 2 mercenary regiments has invaded Provence. At the map, you’ll see the losses over your units when they fight a battle to give a quick overview without selecting the units. At the bottom of the screen you’ll see a quick combat overview. The attacker is at the top of the screen, while the defender is at the bottom. All dicerolls and modifiers are shown clearly, where we have rolled a 1 and the opponent a 0. We have a terrain penalty of -1 though, as we ended up facing the enemy in a forest. The regiments are distributed on the battlefield in the middle, where they fight out the battle over shock and fire phases.

If you look closely, you can see the frost in the trees in northern & central france, which depicts the “mild winter” that they get in January. Nothing close to what you will get in Russia, but still something to watch when campaigning.

Sweet!

Oh I love it :)

BTW, will those units, cities etc. actually have shadows on the map or are they just switched off here for better performance.....hm....but then on my old computer I would probably have to do the same.

A+ for the new core system, why should we be punished if the Ottoman Empire never quite made it to Italy or Persia? The winter system sounds very intresting, quick question, does the system cover the world or will only Russia get a severe winter with France never having one?

Seems like your great army isn't so great after all. :)

Map's looking good, and it's good to know that the terrain will change based on the season. The way core provinces are lost and assimilated sounds pretty good, too.

Lasse Nielsen said:
Johans great army, priceless :D

edit: something tells me that it answers the question in the other thread about renaming armies...

You win a cookie :)

I was wondering if someone would spot it, if I didnt write about it.

Oh, this game is getting better and better at every screenshot! The winter system is a-ma-zing, and the way how the game looks it will sure attract other strategy gamers!!!

P.S.: I apologize about the doubts I had regarding that game. It will sure be great!!!!

All looks very nice :D

The map looks so sweet! There really is a huge improvement in graphics
the font is changed too, now we can read the names of the provinces :)

Excellent update! :)
Map font is great now.

The new core system sounds fantastic! Especially the fact that you can lose cores, unless you fight for them. That should be extremely interesting.

Also, I'm delighted that we'll be able to sell provinces (or buy them).

The graphics are looking very nice too.

Finally the three types of winter! Brilliant!

Great update. Thanks!

Johan said:
This last week, some clear major balancing issues have been done to strengthen Poland, as they clearly needed it.

Are you sure Poland's weakness wasn't due the player who played it? :p

Looking very good. I was really sceptical about 3D originally but now with the addition of proper hills it's really getting to please the eye. And I love to hear that cores are more dynamic now. All in all, wonderful update!

Fantastic update, chaps! - actually, my favourite to date :)

We can rename armies, buy & sell provinces, subsidise nations during war, and we've finally seen Burgundy, my favourite ever EU nation!

The map looks beautiful in France; I really like it.

One teeny nitpick - if you're using the same GFX for the flag of a nation as you use for the coat of arms, then you should use this for Burgundy - that would be ace. It makes sense 'cus you've used this idea for Spain, England and the Netherlands - instead of the historical flags, ie, no Burgundy Cross.

I just like consistency, that's all ;)