+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary - 18th of October 2006

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Development Diary - 18th of October 2006

The development continues as we reach closer and closer to the true crunch of the project. This last week, some clear major balancing issues have been done to strengthen Poland, as they clearly needed it.

One favorite concept from the original games was the concept of winter. In Eu3 that has been expanded to have 3 different types of winter, ranging from mild to severe. The map team has while working on proper names on the map, also been busy improving the look of mountains as well added support for winter being depicted on the map. The AI team has added in the exploration and colonisation AI now, while the gameplay team has focused on how implementing the system of gaining and losing cores. Basically, you need to maintain ownership for 50 years to assimilate a province into a core, while you lose a core when it has passed 25 years of you not even attempting to fight for it. Some additional diplomatic options were added this week as well, including selling of provinces and the option to use war subsidies.

Here we see a battle as my glorious french army of 2 mercenary regiments has invaded Provence. At the map, you’ll see the losses over your units when they fight a battle to give a quick overview without selecting the units. At the bottom of the screen you’ll see a quick combat overview. The attacker is at the top of the screen, while the defender is at the bottom. All dicerolls and modifiers are shown clearly, where we have rolled a 1 and the opponent a 0. We have a terrain penalty of -1 though, as we ended up facing the enemy in a forest. The regiments are distributed on the battlefield in the middle, where they fight out the battle over shock and fire phases.

If you look closely, you can see the frost in the trees in northern & central france, which depicts the “mild winter” that they get in January. Nothing close to what you will get in Russia, but still something to watch when campaigning.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Crusader Kings II

Sweet!
    Swift in Retreat
    Fierce in Repast

DELMARVA!
    Strong and Free!
    End Geographic Tyranny.

Oh I love it

BTW, will those units, cities etc. actually have shadows on the map or are they just switched off here for better performance.....hm....but then on my old computer I would probably have to do the same.
    For the Glory: A Europa Universalis Game

Grand Admiral of SKIF

HOI2 DDA sprites:
    Air Units | Naval Units | Land Units
    Minor sprite pack | DD interface mod

V:Revolutions unit sprites:
    Naval Units

A+ for the new core system, why should we be punished if the Ottoman Empire never quite made it to Italy or Persia? The winter system sounds very intresting, quick question, does the system cover the world or will only Russia get a severe winter with France never having one?
    ICQ 349-721-714
    Ready and willing to sub

Johans great army, priceless

edit: something tells me that it answers the question in the other thread about renaming armies...

love the fire, and the cannon. really cool

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

Seems like your great army isn't so great after all.

Map's looking good, and it's good to know that the terrain will change based on the season. The way core provinces are lost and assimilated sounds pretty good, too.

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Nielsen
    Johans great army, priceless

edit: something tells me that it answers the question in the other thread about renaming armies...

You win a cookie

I was wondering if someone would spot it, if I didnt write about it.

Johan Andersson

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

200k clubCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Oh, this game is getting better and better at every screenshot! The winter system is a-ma-zing, and the way how the game looks it will sure attract other strategy gamers!!!

P.S.: I apologize about the doubts I had regarding that game. It will sure be great!!!!

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Looking good. Really, there seems to be a definite graphical improvement

Will there be more details added to the battle screen over time or is that it?
    Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in the ancient Greek republics: freedom for the slave-owners
    VI Lenin

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

All looks very nice
    "Success seems to be connected to action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit." - Conrad Hilton

Bring back the American Politics Megathread.

The hated one
    Hearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

looking for an avatar that is "in line with general guidelines" ;)
    look nice - though the moral sliders should look a bit more in line with the UI - ie they should tone out a bit from dark red to lighter red - same with green..
    HOI - FAQ v1.06c on Sea and Air Leader Efficiency
    HOI - FAQ v1.06c on Land Leader Efficiency
    HOI 2 - FAQ vDEMO on Land Leader Efficiency

Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Tzar Kalojan's Avatar

The map looks so sweet! There really is a huge improvement in graphics
    the font is changed too, now we can read the names of the provinces
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan
    You win a cookie

I was wondering if someone would spot it, if I didnt write about it.
    mmm tasty

Deputy Citizen Commisar Dr. Zoidberg's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLegioEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Excellent update!
    Map font is great now.
    Hono(u)rary Texan

"As a matter of fact, I swallowed one of these about 3 hours ago. The explanation is, that it is infact, my hand"

200k clubDiplomacyEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

Blog Entries
    The new core system sounds fantastic! Especially the fact that you can lose cores, unless you fight for them. That should be extremely interesting.

Also, I'm delighted that we'll be able to sell provinces (or buy them).

The graphics are looking very nice too.

Finally the three types of winter! Brilliant!

Great update. Thanks!

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Good idea with the losses showing over the units on the map.
    Cancels writing: Interrupted by hoary marmot.

will winter conditions change from year to year, so as you could get an unusual mild winter in Russia or an extremely cold one in Denmark?

Quote Originally Posted by Johan
    This last week, some clear major balancing issues have been done to strengthen Poland, as they clearly needed it.
    Are you sure Poland's weakness wasn't due the player who played it?

Looking very good. I was really sceptical about 3D originally but now with the addition of proper hills it's really getting to please the eye. And I love to hear that cores are more dynamic now. All in all, wonderful update!
    "The elemental truth must be stressed that the characteristic of any country before its industrial revolution and modernisation is poverty..." Mathias, First Industrial Nation, pg. 5
    "The Central Committee and the government are in possession of definite proof that this massive exodus of the peasants has been organized by the enemies of the Soviet regime, by counterrevolutionaries, and by Polish agents as a propaganda coup against the process for collectivization in particular and the Soviet Government in general" - SU leadership about famine & migration caused by bolshevik policy of confiscating all food despite human losses. Stéphane Courtois et al, The Black Book of Communism, pg. 164.
    In Wiki we trust: VickyWiki|CKWiki (offline)|HoI2|EUIII|HoI3|Victoria II|CKII|EUIV
    Play Werewolf with fellow forumites.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2EU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Very nice... I like the frost. It gives it a nice touch and as stated I love the three winters.

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mandead
    One teeny nitpick - if you're using the same GFX for the flag of a nation as you use for the coat of arms, then you should use this for Burgundy - that would be ace. It makes sense 'cus you've used this idea for Spain, England and the Netherlands - instead of the historical flags, ie, no Burgundy Cross
    We had that one, but I preferred the cross in look

Johan Andersson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast