• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
off to a fresh start and a possible dukedom in 1 generation ( if all goes as planned) nice nice

wapenzutphen-1.gif

Chapter 11 ‘The final chapter.’

The wedding ceremony was a simple affair, the civil had prevented many people from coming to Zutphen. But the most important guest was there, duke Marchard Billung of Saxony. Though he was one of the most important dukes in the empire, Marchard had chosen a side in the conflict. His uncle Otho, the former duke of Saxony and Brunswick had tried to claim the imperial title for himself a couple of years ago. This attempt had ended in a failure though and the Billungs had lost the duke title of Brunswick because of that. But emperor Hermann von Franken knew that he had to keep the Billungs on his side somehow, so had had installed Marchard as duke of Saxony. So far this strategy of appeasement had worked and the duke was at least still loyal to the emperor.

1138dukemarchard.jpg

‘Duke Marchard, may I introduce you to my grandson, Bruno van Zutphen, count of Zutphen, Frisia and Ost-Friesland’ asked chancellor Mathildis Billung.
‘Of course you may, aunt Mathildis. So you are the one who wants to become my vassal, Bruno ?’
‘Yes, my lord.. We have had enough of this civil war that has costs us so many lives. The emperor isn’t a good liege, his representative has even refused to visit my wedding, all he wanted from me was to mobilise my troops and join the emperor in the south.’
‘A liege has a right to do so, Bruno.’
‘The van Zutphens have done more then enough, my lord, the emperor somehow fails to see that.’
‘But it is not up to a vassal to decide if he helps his liege or not.’
‘Every ruler has the right to decide this on his own, my lord. Ain’t that what this civil war is all about ? The emperor using the troops of his vassals for his own will and advantage, that is not how it is supposed to be.’
‘That is rebel talk, Bruno ! A vassal must always support his liege no matter what. I always want the full support from my vassals. Vassal who think that they can decide on their own if they want to support me or not, I can live without.’

Chancellor Mathildis saw that the conversation wasn’t going in the right direction.

‘Bruno, will give you his full support once he is your vassal, Marchard. My grandson, is still young and the deaths of his father and brother in the civil war have had a great impact on him. The emperor could have taken that into consideration when he sent his last demands.
‘That might be, but such rebel talk .....’
‘Marchard, my grandson will be a good and loyal vassal. He will be a much better vassal then you are of emperor Hermann.‘
‘What do you mean with that, aunt Mathildis ?’
‘Don’t act so innocent Marchard ! You know damn well what I mean, no Saxon troops are fighting in the south in support of the emperor. So how is that ?’
‘Mmm, well that is something completely different.’
‘No, it is not Marchard. I know what you want, you want the same thing as my brother, Otho. You want to become emperor !’
‘Who has said that ? I don’t want any such thing at all.’

‘My lord, like my grandmother has said, I will be a good vassal and you can always count on my support. I also have heard about this Saxon imperial dream of yours. And I say that, that is a cause I would want to fight for.’
‘We Saxons have abandoned our imperial dream a long time ago, I don’t want to revive that dream at all.’
‘Why won’t you ? You have every right to the imperial crown as the von Franken, my lord. the time is right !’
‘Mmm, I don’t know .....’

‘Maybe it is best to talk about this at a later moment, my lords’ said Mathildis ‘It is not wise discussing such things in public. Now Marchard, tell me do you accept my grandson as your new vassal ?’
‘Well all right I will accept him, but listen carefully Bruno. I don’t want any trouble with my vassals, so don’t do anything without my permission or try to outsmart me, is that clear ?’
‘Yes, my lord that is clear ! But I have one request to.’
‘And that is ?’
‘As you know the brother of my wife, is count Gerloch von Oldenburg.’
‘Yes, of course I know that. The von Oldenburgs have been loyal vassals to the Billungs for years.’
‘Bruno, I don’t think this is the time to...’ Mathildis said.
‘Shut up, grandma ! My lord, Gerloch is just 13 and totally incapable of ruling his county. That is why his father wanted his daughter, my wife Lutgarde, to inherit the county. But the people around Gerloch have prevented that, maybe you, my lord, can try to set this matter straight ?’
‘You have some nerve, Bruno. I just told you specifically not to try anything dirty and here you are, starting already. And not only that, you also publicly insult my aunt, your grandmother. You better remember that she is the main reason why, I accept you as my vassal. I don’t want to hear anything about this. Gerloch is the count of Oldenburg and he will stay the count of Oldenburg and if anything happens to him then I will hold your repsonsible. I know what the van Zutphens have done with the d’Ardennes and van Braunschweigs. I will not let you do that to the von Oldenburg or, god forbid, the Billungs.’
‘We .... what .....’
‘You better go now, Bruno ! There are more guests that you need to entertain, let me handle this with lord Marchard.’
And chancellor Mathildis gently pushed Bruno away.

‘Don’t pay to much attention to this talk, Marchard. Bruno has to many wine already, he doesn’t want ....’
‘That maybe the case, aunt Mathildis, but I don’t trust him at all. And I will keep a close eye on him. Remember that I just accepted him out of respect to you.’
‘He knows that, Marchard, but he will proof to you that he does deserve that on his own merits.’
‘We will see, now if you excuse me. I am tired and I think I will go to my room to sleep.’
‘Of course, Marchard.’

As duke Marchard walked through the hall, he came across a table where a lot of the other members of van Zutphen family were sitting and talking. When they saw, duke Marchard approaching they fell quit, only uncle Franz, who hadn’t seen Marchard continued his conversation.

‘Duke of Friesland, my friends, duke of Friesland ! That is what my boy, is going to be, pretty soon. Yep !’
‘UNCLE !’ said marshal Philipp van Zutphen ‘ssth !’
‘What ?’ asked Franz, who only then saw duke Marchard looking at him.
‘Ah, my duke ! Come sit here, and drink with us !’
‘No thank you, I already have had enough and I think you have to !’
‘Not at all, my lord, not at all.’

As duke Marchard continued his walk to his room he thought to him self
‘I was right, don’t trust the van Zutphens, ever !’

Another year went by and everything seemed peaceful now, the civil war in Germany continued, but only in southern Germany and Italy. Duke Marchard was still loyal to the emperor, but for how long nobody could tell. In Zutphen, Bruno and Lutgarde got a son, who was named Gotthard.

Not long after the birth of his son, Bruno held a meeting with his council, attending were his spy-master Gerlach and his marshal Philipp. Gerlach was a bastard son of count Otto III, so he was a half-brother of Bruno and Philipp was cousin of Bruno and a veteran of the civil war.

1138spymastergerloch.jpg

1138marshalphillip.jpg

Bruno had also called for his grandmother, chancellor Mathildis but she hadn’t arrived yet.

‘Gerlach, that was a complete failure ! How hard can it be to murder a 14 year old child.’
‘Don’t blame it on me, Bruno. Who would have known that the boy would sleep in his chain-mail armour.’
‘Tssh, why didn’t our man, strangle him then ?’ asked Philipp.
‘He was to surprised, when his knife failed and then he didn’t have the time to try something else. The guards had heard the noise and came storming in the room.’
‘A second time, will be even more difficult, damn you Gerlach ! Now the von Oldenburgs know we are after them.’
‘It is not my fault, Bruno. Maybe the people in Oldenburg had a warning from someone !’
‘Do you mean there is a traitor amongst us ?’
‘Well your wife, Lutgarde is still close with her brother.’
‘Do you honestly believe that I have told my wife anything about this ? You are even stupider then I thought ! Now where does grandma stay ? I have called for her.’

At that time there was a knock on the door.

‘Ah there she is. ENTER !’

The door opened but it wasn’t chancellor Mathildis, but instead it was countess Lutgarde, in tears.

‘Lutgarde ! What did I tell you, you are not to disturb me when I am working !’
‘Oh Bruno, oh Bruno’ said Lutgarde in tears ‘I know but, something terrible has happened.’
‘What ?’
‘Grandma Mathildis, she....’s ....... dead !’
‘Dead ?’
‘She has been murdered and .....by.....’
‘Yes ?’
‘......by someone from Oldenburg.’
‘WHAT !’
‘Where is she ?’
‘In her private quarters

Bruno, Gerlach and Philipp stormed out of the room and ran the quarters of Mathildis and there they found here, with a rope, colours red and yellow around here neck. Red and yellow, the colours of Oldenburg.

‘Those bastards !’ said marshal Phillip ‘they didn’t even bother to do hide the fact that they are behind it. this means war !’
‘Maybe it is a trap ?’ said Gerlach.
‘Of course not, Gerlach, they want to make it clear to us that they know who was behind the attempt on count Gerloch. But they have made a big mistake.’
‘Why ? By so openly showing us that they did it ?’
‘No, by killing Mathildis. Duke Marchard had a lot of respect and love for his aunt, now that the von Oldenburgs are behind her murdering, it will be easy for us to get Marchard on our side. Gerlach, you will leave immediately to duke Marchard and tell him what has happened here, tell him that I will revenge my grandmother and that I am counting on his support.’
‘But didn’t Marchard warn you about this, Bruno ?’ asked Philipp.
‘They have killed his beloved aunt, Philipp. Grandmothers death is a gift from heaven. Now Gerlach, GO !’

More and more people came in to the room, looking at the dead body of chancellor Mathildis.
‘All of you get out of here ! Show some respect to my grandmother !’ shouted Bruno.

While spy-master Gerlach was heading towards Braunschweig to inform duke Marchard, Bruno and Philipp were starting to make arrangements for the war against Oldenburg.

A few weeks went by but Gerlach didn’t return and Bruno was starting to become nervous.
‘Where does he stay ? Why hasn’t he returned yet, Phillip ?’
‘I don’t know Bruno, maybe duke Marchard is also assembling his troops and he wants Gerlach to accompany him when he comes to us.’
‘Could be, yes, but that shouldn’t take that long.’

‘My lord !’ a guard had approached his count and marshal ‘the look-out reports a dust cloud ahead !’
‘Who is it ? Gerlach ?’
‘He couldn’t tell, my lord, but it looks like a big army is coming our way.’
‘Philipp ! Follow me, lets go to the watchtower.’

Bruno and Philipp ran up the stairs towards the top of the watchtower and when they arrived on top of the tower they also could see a cloud rising in the east.
‘I can’t make anything out of it, Philipp can you ?’
‘No, but it must be a lot of men, to make such a cloud.’
‘Could it be duke Marchard and his entire army ? Damn, that Gerlach, I didn’t want that. I just wanted his support and maybe a few men to help us. If we now take Oldenburg, Marchard may decide to take it for himself.’
‘I can see the banners now, Bruno. Yes those are Saxon troops. Phhh, I didn’t know that Marchard had so many men.’
‘I think duke Marchard is planning to take part in the war against the emperor, Philipp. That is why he has such a big army. Ah, yes look there at the head of the troop, that must be him ! And that man beside him, who is that ? Gerlach ?’
‘No, it doesn’t look like Gerlach.’
‘Who is it then ? He must be important, since he is allowed to ride next to Marchard.’
‘It looks like ....No, that can’t be.’
‘Who is it Philipp ?’
‘No, I thought I recognised him, but that can’t be, it must be someone else who just looks like him.’
‘Lets go down again, Philipp. We are going to saddle our horses and meet our guests outside.’
‘Better put on our armour to, Bruno, you never know !’
‘Don’t be silly, Philipp, we are close to Zutphen and an army of our liege is nearby. And we also don’t have time for that.’

And within 10 minutes Bruno and Philipp were on their horses riding towards duke Marchard and his army.
‘Bruno, somehow I don’t have a good feeling about this.’
‘Don’t talk like an old woman, Philipp.’
‘No, you know that man riding beside duke Marchard, if he is the man I think he is then...’
‘Who is it then ?’
‘It just can’t be, lets just ride on and then we will know for sure.’

It didn’t take them long to reach duke Marchard, who had halted his army just a mile outside Zutphen.

‘Marchard, it is good to see you here’ shouted Bruno ‘I warned you about count Gerloch von Oldenburg and now you see what he has done, killing your poor aunt.’
‘Yes, I have heard about that’ Marchard said in a soft voice.
‘It is time we show Gerloch a lesson, don’t you think ! I didn’t expect to see you with so many of your man, Marchard. Didn’t my brother Gerlach tell you that ? Where is he by the way ?’

Then the man who had been riding beside duke Marchard came forward ‘here is your brother, Bruno !’ and he threw a leather bag towards Bruno. When the bag fell on the ground it opened and rolling out of it came a head, which was barely recognisable as the head of Gerlach van Zutphen.

Bruno and Philipp were shocked when they recognised the head and Philipp mumbled ‘oh no, it is him !’
‘What the hell !’ Bruno shouted ‘who do you think you are, you bastard !’
‘I am your liege and master, Bruno. I am the EMPEROR !’ and as Hermann von Franken spoke those words a banner was uncovered showing the imperial signs.

1138emperorheinrcih.jpg

‘BRUNO, it is a trap !’ shouted Philipp as he drew his sword, but before he could fully draw it, three arrows were fired at him and they hit him in the chest and head, killing him instantly.
‘PHILIPP ! NO !’ and Bruno also tried to draw his sword.

‘Don’t do it, Bruno ! Or your life might also end here’ said Marchard.
Bruno put his sword back again and he soon found himself pulled of his horse and chained.

‘Marchard, why ?’
‘WHY !’ you dare to ask ?’ said emperor Hermann said ‘you and your family of traitors, murderers, liars, thieves and rebels don’t deserve nothing else.’
‘I have been a loyal .....’
‘The van Zutphens and loyalty, ha ! Those are two separate things.’ Marchard said ‘I warned you, Bruno. But you just couldn’t stop, could you ! No, emperor Hermann and I decided that now it has been enough, we are going to put an end to the van Zutphen family once and for all !’
It became clear to Bruno, that he now was in big trouble.
‘No, no, no, that can’t be true. Marchard ! Hermann ! No ! We are rich, my family will pay a high ransom for me, I will give up the counties of Frisia and Ostfriesland if you want to, but please spare my life.’
‘Mmm, I could use the money’ Hermann said ‘That civil war is a costly affair.’
‘Yes, yes ! I will give you my entire treasury, my lord and not only that, I will also mobilise all my men, to fight for you.’
‘That is nice, Bruno ! But you know, you aren’t needed for that. I will also get your entire treasury and army when you are dead. GUARDS ! Hang this traitor up, there ! On that tree. And then we will march on and take the castle of Zutphen and take care of the rest of the van Zutphens. Today will be the end of the county Zutphen and no one will ever speak of this county again, this county shall be forgotten for eternity !’
Bruno who now new that his end was near fell on his knees and shouted
‘NOOOOOOOOOO ..................................’

And here ends this AAR.

I have been rather busy lately with other things, so I didn't have much time to continue it. The game that this AAR is based on reached 1380, but I didn't see myself continue this story untill then. But I didn't want to abondon the AAR so I wrote this ending :)

I will tell briefly what happend with Bruno in the game

Bruno became duke of Friesland, though it took him several attempts to achieve that. Bruno died in 1153, and though he had 7 sons, only one was still alive when Bruno died. Michael who succeeded his father at the age of 10. Michael died a year later, and he was succeeded by a cousin, Konrad who was a brother of marshal Philipp

The van Zutphen continued their expansion to the north and south and become dukes of Slesvig, Holstein, Skane, Brabant, Gelre, Lower Lorraine, Luxembourg and Holland and a vassal of the king of Sweden/Denmark. From that king they usurped the title 'king of Denmark.

Later they also inherited the kingdom of England/Wales and Poland/Hungary, and that is where it ended

Let me quote Bruno:

"NOOOOOOOO....."

Here I was thinking you're taking it up again, but then I saw that the title was "the final chapter". Well, I'm sad to see this go, but very nice closure to the whole thing.

It's a good ending though. Nice to bring it to completion.

Sad to see this end so soon. But I must echo Chief Ragusa, the ending was expected. Thankyou for concluding this and not leaving it hanging. :cool: