• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ahh, keeping the wives in top notch mediaeval gowns can to the lenders make you go, and once you're there and seen by the snooping priest, soon arrives a letter from Rome making you excomunicate! ;)

Mmm, I am not quite sure Otto has got the hang of this intrigue business. Though betraying the plotters might win certain rewards removing his liege would, I feel, bring more certain advancement.

Otto seems not like the strongest character to me. Rather any person could influence him to achieve his goals. Certainly not what you would wish to have as your ruler.

And doesn't he have a bit too high opinion of his mother? ;)

I was going to say...Otto seems to be easily convinced of things. This may not serve him well, especially in the gold department. The wife will never cease in asking for new clothes, pregnant or not. And Otto will never be free of others that might wish to use his good name. Yes...he had best think on this. ;)

Ah, the clothes event. Lots of interesting things can result from that.

wapenzutphen-1.gif

Chapter 4 ‘Adalheid decides to do nothing.’

‘What do you mean mother ? I think it is clear what our duty is, we need to inform emperor Heinrich of this conspiracy.’
‘All we have is the word of count Ekbert, my son. We don’t have any proof of this conspiracy, it could be a false rumour. Planted by count Ekbert to discredit us.’
‘Why would he do that ? There is no need for him to do that, I am sure that the emperor will be very pleased when he hears about this from me, and maybe in his gratitude reward me.’
‘And don’t you think it is strange that Ekbert himself doesn’t want this reward ?’
‘No, we are from a noble and influential family, the emperor will much sooner believe us then count Ekbert.’

‘Don’t be such a fool, Otto. Ekbert’s family is just as noble and high-ranking as us and maybe even more. I don’t think the von Franken have forgotten what my brother Conrad had tried to do.’
‘That is so long ago and don’t forget that I am married to a princes from Hungary.’
‘Yes, of course I know that. And the way your wife is spending our money it looks like she thinks she is married to a king herself.’
‘Don’t be so harsh on Adelaida, it is not easy for her.’
‘She is a spoiled little brat.’
‘You are talking about my wife, mother ! I don’t like it when you insult her like that.’
‘Yes I am your mother and if I can call your wife what ever I want, but let’s get back to the business shall we. There is only one option for us and that is to do nothing.’
‘Nothing ? We can’t do nothing, that wouldn’t be right.’

‘Listen Otto, you know what will happen when you go to emperor Heinrich ? He will call duke Godfried and ask him if what you have told him is true and then Godfried of course will deny it and at the same time remind Heinrich of the fact that your uncle Conrad was a real rebel who had tried to murder his father.’
‘So, my father has always stayed loyal to his liege and I, myself have never done something wrong. I can’t be held responsible for the deeds of my uncle.’
‘Stop living in a dream, Otto. You have no idea how the politics work in the empire. A lot of people envy us for all kinds of reasons, for example you being married to that Árpád girl. And if they can discredit us then they will do it. The best thing is to do nothing and just see what happens.’
‘But mother !’
‘No, Otto ! You may think that you can play being the count, but it is still I who decide what we do. I will talk this over with chancellor Bertha and your father, Hendrikus. I am sure they will agree with me.’
‘He is not my father, mother ! He is just my stepfather.’
‘No you are being childish, Otto. Now go see where your brother Gebhard is.’

Otto left his mother’s quarters in a very angry mood, he was mad at his mother and his other councillors but most of all he was mad at himself. His mother still treated him like a child but that was because he let her do that, it was time that he started to take matters into his own hands.

As it turned out, Adalheid had been right, chancellor Bertha and marshal Hendrikus agreed with her, that doing nothing was in this case the best thing. And when the summer passed without any sign of a rebellion, Otto saw that the story Ekbert had told him might indeed just have been story to discredit him. But the relationship between Adalheid and Otto had changed, he didn’t spent as much time with her as he used and instead of that started to look for new friends and advisors.

wapenzutphen-1.gif

Chapter 5 ‘A new marshal’
In the early winter of 1071 AD, Otto went a hunting trip together with some of his friends and followers. One of them was the nephew of his stepfather, Gozewijn van Wassenberg. Gozewijn was a few years younger then Otto but he had already taken part in many tournaments where he had showed his considerable strength and his superb jousting technique, he was also a very good fencer and also a man who had what people called, natural leadership.

‘My lord, may I speak with you ?’
‘Of course, Goz, what is it ?’
‘I have been a courtier in your court my entire life and though I like it here in Zutphen, I believe that I can be more then just a simple courtier.’
‘Well you are a good and valuable man, Goz, I certainly don’t see you as a simple courtier.’
‘But I still am, my lord. So I want to know, will you give me a position of more importance ? Or do I have to seek my fortune elsewhere ?’
‘I would hate to let you go, Goz, but there is currently no vacancy in my council.’
‘If you don’t mind me saying, my lord, I believe I would be a much better candidate for one of the positions then the current one.’
‘What position do you have in mind, Goz ?’
‘That of marshal, my lord. My uncle, your father, is a nice man, but he is getting old and rusty. A new man in that position will bring new elan to the troops.’
‘I can’t sack, my stepfather, Goz. My mother would never allow that.’
‘My lord, may I speak frankly ?’
‘Of course.’
‘You must stop listening to your mother, you are a grown man and father of two children and if the rumors are true and third one on the way. You no longer need to do what your mother tells you to.’
‘Mmm, yes I know, my mother still acts like she is the countess and not me. Maybe this is indeed a good time that I am the count and it is I who takes the decisions here.’
‘People will start to respect you more, my lord, if they see you acting that way.’
‘Goz, thank you, that was what I wanted to hear. As soon as we are back in Zutphen, I will announce that you are the new marshal.’
‘Thank you my lord.’

1071gozewijn.jpg

Adalheid nor Hendrikus were very pleased with this decision of Otto of course, but there was not much they could do against it and they had to succumb to Otto’s will.

1071mechtild.jpg

Just before Christmas, Otto again became father. Of a daughter this time who was named Mechtild. And just over a year later another son was born, Sigfried.

1071sigfired.jpg

The people from Zutphen were pleased with there new, more active and independent, Otto and his young family, but when in 1073 AD a dysentery and small-pox plague hit the county at the same time.

1071plagues.jpg

They started to whisper that these plague were a punishment because of Otto’s disrespect for his mother and stepfather.

stnylan said:
Ahh, keeping the wives in top notch mediaeval gowns can to the lenders make you go, and once you're there and seen by the snooping priest, soon arrives a letter from Rome making you excomunicate!

Mmm, I am not quite sure Otto has got the hang of this intrigue business. Though betraying the plotters might win certain rewards removing his liege would, I feel, bring more certain advancement.

Well I choose the option to do nothing :)

coz1 said:
was going to say...Otto seems to be easily convinced of things. This may not serve him well, especially in the gold department. The wife will never cease in asking for new clothes, pregnant or not. And Otto will never be free of others that might wish to use his good name. Yes...he had best think on this.

Otto is learning how to be a 'real' ruler

Chief Ragusa said:
Mother does not know best in this instance. Otto should be talking to his Chancellor Bertha. Truly abysmal stats on the son who failed to survive.

Bertha is an old woman, who has not much to say in the court. At least untill now

east_emnet said:
Ah, the clothes event. Lots of interesting things can result from that.

Nothing really bad happened, Adelaida f.e. didn't get stressed and Otto is rich enough to afford some new dresses for his wife

DukeWilleo1630 said:
I wonder what will happen on his visit to the emporer's court. Does the king still hold a grudge?

Adalheid thinks he does, Otto thinks the opposite. We will have to wait to see who is right

Shuma said:
Mamma ain't gonna let her son Otto go play with the big boys. She's gonna make him tell on them!

A very good guess

BTW I just saw that in real life, the wife of count Ekbert of Frisia, Ermengarde de Suza is the mother of the aunt of Otto, Judith von Schweinfurt. It is sadly to late to make this relationship part of the AAR

And so a wedge opens up between Otto and his mother. Well, he has to be free of her petticoats sooner or later.

Bad luck with those plagues.

Woh. How unlucky to get both those diseases at the same time!

And although it is good that Otto is getting rid of his mothers influence, it seems to me he still hasn't started to think for himself but is letting others manipulate him easily. I hope this doesn't drag him into too much trouble.

Goz is indeed the right man for the job, and thankfully has helped Otto move away from being ruled and instead rule himself. However, for a time he might do well to retain his mother's advice as he "gets his legs under him."

Very interesting developments, Veld. Its nice to see Otto acting a little more independently.

Goz certainly has a high martial stat! With him, your armies should be almost invincible! :D

wapenzutphen-1.gif

Chapter 6 ‘Gebhard van Zutphen’

After almost 2 years it had become clear that there wasn’t a great conspiracy lead by duke Godfried, against the emperor and though this had chilled the relation between Otto and count Ekbert van Braunschweig a bit.

1075ekbert.jpg

Count Ekbert himself was growing old and his only son, Ekbert ‘the younger’ was still a child, so it become important for him to find supporters for his family, since if he might die. Duke Godfried might decide to give the counties of Frisia and Ost-Friesland to somebody else, since having them in the hands of a child wouldn’t be a good thing. And this uncertainty had causes a lot of stress for old Ekbert.

1075gebhard.jpg

Therefor the already proposed marriage between Gebhard, Otto’s brother and Gertrude, Ekbert’s daughter took place in April 1075 AD.

1075gertrude.jpg

‘My brother, may I congratulate you with your lovely wife.’
‘Thanks, Otto.’
‘She is a very charming woman, this Gertrude.’
‘Yes, I think so to.’
‘You, know I am thinking of making her chancellor.’
‘Chancellor, why ? Is anything wrong with chancellor Bertha ?’
‘Well first of all Bertha is old and second of all she is one of my mother’s pawns.’
‘But she has served this county very good for so many years, Otto.’
‘Yes, I know, but now her time is up. I need young, more energetic people.’
‘Mother won’t be pleased with this, Otto.’
‘Mother just has to live with it.’
‘Don’t be so hard on her, I think our mother deserves some more respect. She was after all the one who proposed my marriage, a marriage that can lead to my, future, son getting a county of his own.’
‘You seem to forget that your brother-in-law, Ekbert ‘the younger’ is the heir of this father.’
‘Yes, but count Ekbert hold two titles and he is very fond of Gertrude, so he might give one of his titles to his grandson.’
‘You know there is also a way to make sure that your son gets both titles.’
‘What ! Otto, you can’t really mean that ?’
‘Why not ?’
‘I can’t believe what you are saying, Otto. You have changed the last few years and I don’t like what has become of you, shame on you Otto.’
‘I didn’t mean anything by it, Gebhard, young Ekbert could have an accident or something like that.’
‘It sounded like you meant something else, Otto.’
‘Let’s not fight Gebhard, this is your wedding day and it gives us and our people some time to forget all those bad things that have happened to our country.’
‘All right Otto, let’s join the party again.’

The next year, both Otto and Gebhard got a child. Otto a daughter who was named Agnes, but she died after a couple of months and Gebhard and Gertrude got a son who they named Giselbert.

Shortly after the birth of Giselbert, Gebhard went to see his brother.
‘Otto, I need to speak with you.’
‘What’s it about, Gebhard you seem a bit tense ? Everything all right with the baby.’
‘Yes, everything is fine, that is not what I am here for. The reason I wanted to speak with you is this, my father-in-law, Ekbert has asked me and Gertrude to join him in his castle in Frisia, now that his son Ekbert ‘the younger’ has received the county of Ost-Friesland, he says that his castle is so empty and he feels lonely. He would love to have his daughter and grandson around him.’
‘But Gertrude is my chancellor, and a very good one, I can’t let her go.’
‘You must understand that this is very important to me, Otto. I want to keep a good relationship with my father-in-law, since that would improve the chance of Giselbert in inheriting Frisia.’
‘Those chances are very slim, my brother. No matter how fond old Ekbert is of his grandson, he will not disinherit his son Ekbert for that.’
‘I am not so sure about that, Otto. Giselbert is going to be count, believe me.’
‘There is a way to make that happen, you know.’
‘No, no, no. I don’t want to hear about that.’
‘Why, my brother ? Accidents happen you know.’
‘Otto, NO ! Now do I have your permission to leave to Frisia with my wife and son ?’
‘I rather have Gertrude and you around, Gebhard.’
‘Why ? Gertrude is your chancellor, but what about me ? I don’t have anything to do around here.’
‘What do you have in mind ?’
‘I want to be your spy-master !’
‘Spy-master ? You ! But Gebhard you are the most decent and just person I know, and those are all fine attributes, but not for a spy-master.’
‘Maybe Otto, but I am sure that I will do a much better job then your current one.’
‘Well that isn’t so hard, Adelaida doesn’t take her job that seriously, she is only spying for new clothes.’
‘So, why not make me spy-master ?’
‘You will sometimes have to get your hands dirty, Gebhard.’
‘I don’t have problems with that, Otto, let me proof it to you. And if you don’t, then I will leave together with Gertrude, even without your permission.’
‘Mmm, well if that is the case then so shall it be, Gebhard.’

1075newspymaster.jpg

Later that same day, Otto had a conversation with his friend and marshal Gozewijn and together they looked over the map of the north-western part of the Empire.

1075zutphen.jpg

‘Goz, my brother is a fool.’
‘Tell me something new, Otto.’
‘He really believes that his son, will one day be a count.’
‘Well that is possible if ......’
‘Yes, I have suggested that to him, but he doesn’t want to hear about it, he thinks that sucking up to his father-in-law will do the trick.’
‘Well like you said, he is a fool.’
‘I really want those counties, Goz’ said Otto as his fingers moved over the counties of Frisia and Ost-Friesland.
‘You mean, you want them for your nephew, Giselbert.’
‘No, I want them.’
‘Otto, that is dangerous.’
‘Life is dangerous Goz.’
‘But if that ever comes out ?’
‘You and I will make sure that, that never happens. Now it is time to make our first move, is everything ready ?’
‘Yes, I just have to give the order and then ....’ and Gozewijn moved his finger from left to right across his throat.
‘Then do it.’

1075ekbertmurdered.jpg

Two weeks after this, spy-master Gebhard and chancellor Gertrude came running into Otto’s room one morning. Gebhard was all stressed out and Gertrude was crying.
‘My brother, terrible news, terrible.’
‘What happened ?’ asked Otto, as he knew all to well what had happened.
‘mmmm, my.....mmmm, my brother, he .....is......’ Gertrude could barely speak.
‘Count Ekbert of Ost-Friesland is dead, Otto, he is murdered !’
‘NO !’
‘Yes, he is, he is brutally murdered in his sleep.’
‘No, oh no, what terrible news you bring me here, Gebhard. And Gertrude I can’t tell you how sorry I am for you. But how did it happen ? Who is behind this ?’
‘We don’t have all the news yet, Otto. But the murderer has escaped, so we don’t know who is behind it.’
‘You know, Gebhard, I have feeling who is behind this ?’
‘Really ? Who ?’
‘The Hunchback !’
‘Duke Godfried ? But why ?’
‘Why ? Because he is just the devil himself Gebhard, I have reason to believe that Ekbert was just the first victim.’
‘The first ? You mean there will be more killings ?’
‘Yes, I am afraid so, Gebhard. But luckily I have a good spy-master, it is your duty to protect us.’
‘Yes, you are right Otto, I will make sure that a murderer doesn’t have a chance here. But what are we going to do about our liege ?’
‘Let me handle that, Gebhard, you just make sure that no murderers get access to our castle.’

stnylan, Coz1 and Shuma
I first wanted Otto to stay under his mothers influence, but then I decided that it is more fun to have stronger and more evil Otto

Chief Ragusa
About 2,000 men. Zutphen still had the 'rich' trait and Otto and his steward have a combined stewardship of 21

Crusaderknight
With older patches I would say that Gozewijn is exceptional, but with patch 1.05 those stats are quit common. And I haven't seen much war yet :)

Well, as you said, 'accidents' happen. And that sentence: ‘Well that isn’t so hard, Adelaida doesn’t take her job that seriously, she is only spying for new clothes.’ is just hilarious. :rofl:

So can we expect a dead Giselbert and Gebhard in the future?

Oh much more fun! I was on tingling with expectation the moment that update started. Some serious plotting is now underway for sure.

The changing of the guard is certainly happenning in Zutphen. Good for Otto. Intrigue really isn't Gebhard and Gertrude's strongpoint is it. I wonder if it will be Gebhard who suggests Duke Godfreid be sent to hell for his "crime"?

Can Zutphen take on Gotfreid in the field or does Otto have a claim on the Duchy?