• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Veldmaarschalk

Cool Cat
151 Badges
Apr 20, 2003
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
Hi all,

I have decided to start a new AAR this weekend. I will continue my other AAR to, but since the game on which that AAR is based is finished (or more precisely I have achieved the goals I wanted to), I have had the time to play some other games. And it is weird playing a CK game now, without making an AAR about it :)

Especially since this new AAR will be very special to me, since it will feature my hometown Zutphen.

For some, unknown reason, Paradox has failed to include the county of Zutphen in the game :(. Instead of that they have chosen to put the county of Gelre in that place, which of course is totally wrong ;)

So I have modified the game accordingly, so that I now can play the game as the count of Zutphen in 1066.

Zutphen, was a important place in the middle ages. The place had been inhabited for more then a 1,000 years already. The town is located on IJssel river, (the latin word for IJssel is Isala) and there is a theory that the name of the Salian Franks comes from the fact that those Franks live alongside the Isala-river.

In the middle of the 9th century, Zutphen has been sacked thoroughly by the Vikings, but the city recovered and became important again in the early 11th century. The first count, or more precisely lord of Zutphen was a man named Otto von Hammerstein, he was a member of an import German family called the Conradiner.

Recent archelogical findings in Zutphen have uncovered an 'Imperial Palts' (palace). And there is reason to believe that Zutphen was for a short while a residence of the Holy Roman Emperors.

The AAR starts with Conrad/Cuno (Koenraad) van Zutphen, a grand-child of the count Otto I through the female line. Conrad was made duke of Bavaria in 1049 by emperor Heinrich III. And since Heinrich didn't have a son at that time, Conrad was a possible successor, since Conrad, was at that time the eldest living male decendent from Emperor Otto II (died in 983)

1055claimemperor.jpg

But things went badly for Conrad and he rebelled against Heinrich III and he died in Hungary in 1055. His cause of death is unknown, but probably he died from some disease.

Conrad as duke of Bavaria, was married to Judith von Schweinfurt, a daughter of Otto von Schweinfurt who was the duke of Swabia, who didn't have any sons. So a child by Conrad and Judith might have become duke of Bavaria and Swabia.

If things had gone a little differently, Conrad might as well had become the emperor after Heinrich III, starting the house 'van Zutphen' which would have made Zutphen, world-famous :)

The game itself will start with count Otto II van Zutphen, a nephew of Conrad. Otto II was born somewhere between 1050 - 1055, he is known in history as Otto 'the Rich'. I have chosen as his birthyear, 1050 and have given him the 'midas-touched' trait. Otto II will start with a claim to the duchy of Bavaria only.

In real life, Otto II would marry to Judith von Supplinburg, a sister of Lothar von Supplinburg who was to become Holy Roman Emperor from 1125 to 1137. But at that time Otto II was already dead (died in 1113)

This game is played with patch 1.05 plus my modifications.

PS
Otto and his living relatives can be found in the official patch 1.05 to, they are courtiers in the county of Gelre, that is all I could achieve for them so far.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prelude ‘The Death of Duke Conrad van Zutphen’
Chapter 1 ‘The marriage’
Chapter 2 ‘Family quarrels’
Chapter 3 'Time for intrigue'
Chapter 4 ‘Adalheid decides to do nothing’
Chapter 5 ‘A new marshal’
Chapter 6 ‘Gebhard van Zutphen’
Chapter 7 ‘The end of the van Braunschweigs’
Chapter 8 ‘Another plot takes shape’
Chapter 9 ‘Otto at the height of his power’
Chapter 10 ‘Count Bruno van Zutphen’
Chapter 11 ‘The final chapter.’

Last edited:
wapenzutphen-1.gif

Prelude ‘The Death of Duke Conrad van Zutphen’

Somewhere in Hungary near the border of the Holy Roman Empire, december 1055 AD
The forest was covered with a fresh layer of snow and a small group of men was seeking cover from the chilly winds and the occasional snowfall.

Two of the men had distant themselves a bit from the rest of the group. One of those two man, was clearly a German, bearing the arms of Bavaria on his shield the other, who was older, was Hungarian and had the red and white stripes of the royal house of Hungary on his shield. The younger man was Conrad van Zutphen, the former duke of Bavaria and count of Zutphen and heir-presumptive to the Imperial throne.

Conrad knew his end was near, the men of the emperor were close behind him. They had been playing a game of hide and seek with him for the last couple of months, but now that they had cornered him and there was no longer an escape possible. And even if an escape was possible he just had enough from running all the time.

‘This is the end’ he said as he turned to his friend and ally, Béla, duke of Slovakia and prince of the royal house of Árpád.
‘Don’t say that Conrad, we have escaped before. Those assassins sent by the usurper and word-breaker have been fooled before by us’
‘No Béla, I have had it with running and hiding, it is over. My cause is lost, I believed it was a just cause, but God has decided differently.’
‘God ? God had nothing to do with it, Conrad, it was that traitor, duke Welf of Kärnten that made it a lost cause, he betrayed you to Heinrich.’
‘Welf was dying, Béla, and he believed that he had to confess his sins. I can’t blame him for that. He at least supported me, it is my father-in-law who has betrayed me. If Otto, as the duke of Swabia had chosen my side then we would have had the strength of the combined duchies of Swabia, Kärnten and Bavaria on our side, but duke Otto said that Emperor’s Heinrich III his claims were stronger then mine. ‘
‘If, if don’t talk about if’s, Conrad. Your claim to the Imperial throne is stronger, your great-grandfather was emperor Otto II. Which means you have more rights then emperor Heinrich III, who is a descendent from a daughter of Emperor Otto I’
‘Marrying the daughter of duke Otto was a mistake, I can see that now but I thought that that was a great opportunity to unite my duchy of Bavaria with his duchy of Swabia.’
‘But by marrying her, you offended the Emperor who had offered his daughter, Mathilde to you. And since Heinrich didn’t have a son then yet, you would be his heir most likely.’
‘It is all to late, Béla. And Heinrich has a son of his own now and he has given this boy even my duchy, that of Bavaria. Now all that is left to my family in the Empire is the county of Zutphen.’
‘Who rules it then ?’
‘My brother-in-law, Gottschalk and my sister Adalheid are the count and countess of Zutphen. My wife Judith is with them to.’

Then one of the scouts they had sent out, returned.

‘They have found us, my lord, they will be here within a few minutes. Shall we try to break through ?’
‘No, I will surrender to them.’
‘Don’t do it Conrad !’
‘I have to, Béla.’
‘They will not let you live Conrad.’
‘Who says that I want to live on, Béla. For who should I live on ? I don’t have any children of my own, my lands have been confiscated, my friends are dead or in prison.’
‘I am not dead or in prison, Conrad. Don’t give up, if I can convince my brother to help you, you still might have a chance to succeed.’
‘I appreciate your offer, Béla. But I just don’t want fight anymore.’
‘Are you absolutely sure, Conrad ?’
‘Yes, I am, here take this letter that I have written. Sent it to my sister in Zutphen, it is my Will. All my belongings and claims go over to my nephew, her eldest son, Otto van Zutphen.’
Béla took the letter from Conrad.
‘I will make sure, it will get to your sister Conrad. And I also promise you that the house of Árpád will always support your family and relatives no matter what.’
‘Thank you, Béla, now I have to go.’

And then Conrad spurred on his horse and rode towards the group of men that were closing in on him, Béla could hear him shouting towards their enemies.

‘Dear sirs, here I am, I surrender to you.’
‘Who are you then ?’
‘I am duke Conrad, don’t you recognize me ?’
‘Yes, now I do ! Aim and fire, men !’

Conrad was hit by five arrows from close range and fell backwards from his horse.

‘What shall we do, my lord ? Shall we attack them ?’ asked one the man as he looked towards Béla.
‘No, the revolt is over and I have another important thing to do, let’s go !’

And then Béla and his group withdrew further into the forest, the men of the Emperor didn’t follow them. They had what they wanted, the leader of the rebellion against Heinrich III was dead.

1055conrad.jpg

1055bela.jpg

Last edited:
Well that is a very good start. So, a hometown AAR so to speak. I look forward to see how it develops.

Good start and first scene. So you play the descendants of a rebel? That makes it interesting. Of course the counts of Zutphen won't be strong enough to rebel just like that now, but maybe in the future. I'll be following.

Great first scene and interesting story to build off of :)

Very nice, Veld. I can see that you are taking great care with this AAR as it is obviously somewhat personal for you. I hope to follow it far better than I have your previous attempts (and hope to catch up on them in due time.) Good luck and I'll certainly be reading this. :)

wapenzutphen-1.gif

Chapter 1 ‘The marriage’

Zutphen, february 1067 AD
‘OTTO ! Where are you ? Come here, when I call you’ Adalheid van Zutphen walked into the chamber of her eldest son
‘Mother ! I am the count now, you can’t just call me anymore like if I was a little child’ said Otto.

1066otto.jpg

‘You are still a my child, Otto, being a count doesn’t change that.’
‘But what will people think of me when they see how you treat me ?’
‘We don’t have to care what people think, we are the rulers of this place. Now let me take a look at you.’

1066adalheid.jpg

Adalheid looked towards her son ‘he looks just like my brother’ she thought.
‘And ?’ asked Otto in a sulking voice.
‘It will do, now turn around’ and as Otto turned around she might some slight adjustments to his clothes.
‘You know how important this day is, do you Otto ?’
‘Yes mother I know.’
‘Marrying a royal princess is a very high honor. It is a proof of our good relationship with the kings of Hungary.
‘But her father isn’t king, so she isn’t a royal princess anymore.’
‘But her father Béla was king and the last ally and friend of my brother, your uncle Conrad, don’t forget that. It is a great privilege that you are allowed to marry princess Adelaida Árpád, daughter of king Béla and sister of duke Géza of Slovakia.
‘Yes, mother.’

1066godfried.jpg

‘Now your liege, duke Godfried d’Ardennes has arrived this morning and he will give Adelaide away to you, which is another great honor.’
‘Is ‘the Hunchback’ here ?’
‘Don’t call your duke that way, Otto ! That is not decent.’
‘Yes, mother.’
‘Now follow me, I will introduce you to duke Godfried, he is waiting outside.’

As the two of them walked outside they were greeted by the members of the council, first there was Bertha d’Alsace, who as chancellor was in charge of all diplomatic affairs and who also was the one who was responsible for arranging this marriage.

1066bertha.jpg

Beside her stood, Hendrikus van Wassenberg, the marshal of the county and since he was married to Adalheid, Otto’s stepfather. Otto’s real father, Gottschalk had died 3 years ago.

1066hendrikus.jpg

Then there was Otto’s aunt, Judith von Schweinfurt, who didn’t hold any official position. But was always there to remind people that she was the daughter and wife of two former dukes.

1066judith.jpg

And lastly there was the man who would lead the wedding ceremony, chaplain Leopold.

1066leopold.jpg

‘My lord, my I say how wonderful you look today’ said chancellor Bertha
‘You look fine, indeed my son, I am very proud of you’
Otto never liked it when his stepfather called him son, it somehow felt weird.
‘Otto you always look fine, I have taught you that, don’t you forget that’ said his aunt Judith and she pinched him in the cheek.
‘My lord, I am proud to be leading this wedding ceremony today’
‘Thank you all, I am a bit excited but I am sure that I will all make you proud’ said Otto.

‘So, that is my count who is getting married to a royal princess’ as the group that had surrounded Otto split up, a young man stepped forward
‘The Hunchback’ Otto thought
‘What are you looking at boy ?’ said duke Godfried
‘I am honored, my lord, I am sorry I am a bit distracted’
‘Good, now where is the bride, I want to get this over with as soon as possible, I have other more important things to do, you know.’

‘More important things ? My dear Godfried, you don’t you who you are dealing with do you ?’ asked Judith ‘You seem to forget that ....’
‘I am sure that duke Godfried was just kidding’ said chancellor Bertha ‘now let us go to the church everything is ready there.’

Otto followed his mother in to the church which was devoted to holy Saint Walpurga. He know would see for the first time his bride and he wondered how she would look, would she be pretty or would she have a hunchback like duke Godfried. ‘God, please let her be good-looking’ he silently prayed.

His mother brought he before the altar and there he had to wait, till his soon to become bride was brought to him by duke Godfried. He could here them coming up the isle behind him, but since he wasn’t allowed to look, he had to wait anxiously. Then from the corner of his eye, he saw a figure standing next to him. ‘she doesn’t look like having a hunchback’ he thought ‘but she does have a big-nose’

1066adelaida.jpg

The wedding-ceremony and festivities lasted the whole day and evening, but finally Otto and his new bride where allowed to leave for their room, where they spent their first night together.

Last edited:
I see you chose to reflect Conrad's silliness by giving him diplomacy 1 :)

Will be following!

EDIT: I hate it when people update while I am posting :D

Last edited:
stnylan said:
Well that is a very good start. So, a hometown AAR so to speak. I look forward to see how it develops.

Thanks, I do to. I have first played some testgames with the county and it turned out pretty interesting. Hopefully this 'real game' will also be interesting

motiv-8 said:
Excellent! I always enjoy your AARs Veld, I'm glad you've started another one. BTW, are you going to get Zutphen into 1.06?

Thanks, but I think the county of Zutphen will be a CK2 thing :)

csk said:
Good start and first scene. So you play the descendants of a rebel? That makes it interesting. Of course the counts of Zutphen won't be strong enough to rebel just like that now, but maybe in the future. I'll be following.

The counts of Zutphen are very important and strong, they are also closely related to the counts Palantine of the Rhine (couny of Pfalz in CK/von Bonngau dynastie)

Jestor said:
Great first scene and interesting story to build off of

Thanks, you have partly been my inspiration to start this one

coz1 said:
Very nice, Veld. I can see that you are taking great care with this AAR as it is obviously somewhat personal for you. I hope to follow it far better than I have your previous attempts (and hope to catch up on them in due time.) Good luck and I'll certainly be reading this.

Thanks

shuma said:
I see you chose to reflect Conrad's silliness by giving him diplomacy 1

Will be following!

Yes, from what I have read, he didn't sound very smart in that field :)

EDIT
BTW I used the 'byzatine' cheat to marry Otto to Adelaida, the daughter of Béla, that was done for the story-line and won't be used to gain advantage in the game :eek:o

Last edited:
I like the set up and the dynastic potential the Zutphens have. Do you have any particular goals or titles you would like to obtain? Good luck.

JimboIX said:
I like the set up and the dynastic potential the Zutphens have. Do you have any particular goals or titles you would like to obtain? Good luck.

My first duke title has to be in the Low countries, which in my modified game can be
- Gelre (Gelre, Sticht)
- Friesland (Frisia, Ost-Friesland, Oldenburg, Bremen)
- Holland (West-Friesland, Holland, Zeeland)
- Brabant (Breda, Loon, Brabant, Liege)

Another very nice scene. The reflections on the hunchback and large nose were quite humorous.

"God, please let her be good-looking’ he silently prayed."

That was a nice little sentence. :D Not that he prays for her to be nice or intelligent or anything else, no, just good looking. Well, he seems to have his priorities in women. :rolleyes:

It seems our count has some ability to put his own foot in his mouth, but then, weddnigs are very distracting affairs traditionally for grooms. All perfectly understandable.

A very nice start to this new AAR! I will definately have to follow this. You really do seem to have knack for grabbing my interest with a tight grip and not letting go. Already I am very intruigued by your characters, and I already want to know more about Otto and how his successors will do. I guess, to sum it up in two words, I could say, "I'm hooked!". :cool:

wapenzutphen-1.gif

Chapter 2 ‘Family quarrels’

The marriage between Otto and Adelaida was one of ups and downs, there first two children were both given Hungarian names, this to honor the help the van Zutphens had received from the Árpáds

1070ersebet.jpg

A daughter Erzsébet born in 1068 AD and László born in 1069 AD. Otto was especially proud of his first born son and it was quit a shock to him when it turned out that the young boy had a weak health and his coughing kept him and his wife up all night.

1070laszlo.jpg

Adelaida who as a royal princess, was a bit dissatisfied with the life she now as leading, being the countess of a small county in the Empire was not the life she had dreamt about. And she started to spent a lot of her time, and her husbands money on the latest fashion from Italy and France.

Luckily for them, Otto had become a great administrator and together with his mother was able to make the county of Zutphen one of the richest of the area, by resettling people on newly claimed land.

1070resettlment.jpg

‘Otto, my dear. I need a new dress !’ said Adelaida one day.
‘Again ? But you just have bought a lot of new dresses a couple of weeks ago.’
‘But they are al so outdated, my lovely one and you don’t want your wife to walk around in rags, do you ?’
‘No of course not, but those dresses aren’t cheap, you know ? They have to come all the way from Italy.’
‘You seem to forget that I am a princess and a princess needs silk and mink.’
‘My mother, never buys as many dresses as you but she still looks great.’
‘My mother, my mother, my mother. Why do I always hear that, when I ask for something !’
‘But you don’t need a new dress, my dear, you haven’t even worn all the dresses you have bought the last time yet’
‘So, you are my fashion-advisor now, are you ? You decided what I can and can not wear ? I am not your slave you know !’
‘No, you are not my slave, but like I said those dresses aren’t cheap and I am not that rich.’
‘Money, who cares about money ! You can be rich but if you look poor people will treat you as poor.’
‘You just have to wait till next Christmas, my dear then you can buy a new dress.’
‘TILL CHRISTMASS ! Otto, I am going to write to my brother and ask him to take me back if I can’t live a normal life here then I can’t live here at all.’
‘But you can’t travel in your condition’ said Otto as he looked at his wife’s belly ‘you are pregnant, don’t forget that.’
‘I am sick every morning, my dear, of course I haven’t forgotten that I am pregnant, that is why I need new dresses, the old ones don’t fit me no more’ and tears started to appear on Adelaida’s face.
‘Please don’t cry, my dear.’
‘I cry when I want to.’
‘All right then, you may buy some new dresses, but just two all right ?’
‘Oh thank you, my dear, thank you, thank you, thank you’ and with each thank you, Otto received a kiss from his wife.

mab9_jpg.jpg

Adelaida in one of her new dresses

In the autumn of 1070 AD, tragedy hit the county of Zutphen when aunt Judith von Schweinfurt died. The funeral of Judith was attended by the nobility from all over the Empire and even the Emperor, Heinrich IV had sent a representative. One of the nobleman was count Ekbert van Braunschweig, the count of Frisia and Ostfriesland and therefor Otto’s northern neighbour, he had also brought with him his two young children, his son Ekbert and his daughter Gertrude. The last one could get along very well, with Otto’s his younger brother Gebhard.

‘That is a very promising friendship, my son.’
‘What do you mean, mother ?’
‘Your brother and Gertrude, Otto. If we could arrange a marriage between those two, that would open up some nice possibilities.’
‘I don’t see them, the titles of count Ekbert will go to his son, Ekbert the younger. Gertrude is a nice girl, but besides that I don’t see a marriage between her and Gebhard bring anything.’
‘I will have to teach you some more about politics, my son.’
‘Yes mother.’

A few weeks after the death of Judith, young László also died and this death caused great grieve within the court. But in January 1071 AD, Adelaida gave birth to another son, who this time was named Ludwig.

1070ludiwg.jpg

Last edited:
wapenzutphen-1.gif

Chapter 3 'Time for intrigue.'

Shortly after the birth of Ludwig, Otto was visited by his neighbour, count Ekbert again.
‘Count Otto, I am glad you have agreed to speak to me.’
‘We are neighbours and friends count Ekbert, so why wouldn’t I ? And please call me Otto.’
‘Well, uh ....... Otto, I have come to you about some serious business.’
‘Is that so ? Maybe I should get my mother here then to.’
‘Your mother ?’ Ekbert asked, it was clear that his respect for Otto dropped a few points after this remark.
‘Yes, she is my main political advisor and if this is about what I think it is then she certainly should be here. She is Gebhard’s mother to, after all.’
‘I can’t follow you here, Otto. What does your kid-brother have to do with this. And what do you think that I want to speak with you about ?’
‘Well about a marriage between my brother and your daughter, Gertrude of course.’
‘A marriage ? Hmmm, I hadn’t thought about that, but Gertrude is still much to young to get married, she is only 12. Maybe in the future, our two houses might unite, but that is not why I am here.’
‘Well what is it then ?’
‘First I need your word, that anything we discuss here stays between us.’
‘Are you sure that my mother shouldn’t be here to ?’
‘Just the two of us, Otto. Now do I have your word ?’
‘Hmm, I don’t know.’
‘Well if that is the case, then I must rethink our present and future relations then. It is clear that you are nothing like your uncle Conrad, Otto.’
‘My mother says, that I am the spitting image of my uncle. So please tell me what you want to discuss and you will have my word that what ever you say, I won’t tell to anyone.’
‘I knew you could be trusted Otto. Well it is about our duke, Godfried.’
‘Godfried ‘the Hunchback’ ?’
‘Yes, our duke ‘the Hunchback’, I have reason to believe that ...., now listen carefully...’ and Ekbert bent over to Otto and started to whisper ‘Godfried has his eyes on the throne and he, together with some other nobles, wants to start a rebellion against Heinrich, our young king.’
‘My god ? A revolt against and our lawful king, chosen by the grace of God, that is indeed serious, Ekbert’ said Otto with a raised voice.
‘Shhtt ! Not so loud.’
‘We are in my private chambers, Ekbert, no one can hear us here.’
‘Still it is better to not speak loudly about this. Now, your reaction tells me that you have just as little respect for our duke as me.’
‘Correct, I don’t like ‘the Hunchback’, but what can we do against this ?’
‘We somehow must inform our king about this plan and that is why I have come to you. You and your family have powerful connections, you must go see our king, he will certainly agree to see you and you can then tell him, what we have heard.’
‘It is true, I am from a powerful and noble family, but we are not really well seen guests at the king’s court. The revolt of my uncle is not forgotten yet.’
‘That is all over 10 years ago, Otto and most participants in that revolt are all dead and buried. If you and your wife, who is royalty to after all, visit the king I am sure you will be very welcome.’
‘But, why don’t you go to the king yourself Ekbert ?’
‘Well like I said, you are from a highly regarded family the king will most likely believe you more then me.’
Otto, who as any nobleman of those days, liked to be flattered said ‘Yes, you are probably correct. I thank you for the trust you have put into me and as soon as my wife is ready to travel I will seek an audience with the king.’
‘How soon will that be you think ?’
‘Pretty soon, my wife is eager to see what the woman are wearing at the royal court so it won’t take that long.’
‘Good, now about that marriage .......’

1070conspire.jpg

After count Ekbert had left, Adalheid came to Otto to ask him what had been said at the meeting between him and count Ekbert. And Otto, despite his word given to Ekbert, told her everything that had been discussed.

‘Well that is about it, as you see, he has a high respect for me and so as soon as Adelaide is ready then .......’
‘Wait a minute Otto, not so hasty ! Let’s think this over first.’

Last edited:
Thanks all for the nice comments

DukeWilleo1630 said:
Very interesting so far. Will they be as succesful as the Habsburgs? :)

I don't know yet, it could also turn out to be a new Gerulfing ;)