• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Turning Byzantese.

Chapter 1: Abauj

As told with many pictures. And a moderate amount of words.

(All formats, fonts, layouts, and even this little disclaimer stolen blatantly from phargle's
Knud Knýtling, Prince of Denmark (and other assorted tales))

1091-1092

ScreenSave240.jpg

I agree with this fellow.

ScreenSave241.jpg

And thus passes Georgia. Swallowed up by the Turkman, the Azeri, and the Arab.

ScreenSave242.jpg

And here is the Kievan cavalry, far too late. For you see, the Kievans were allied to the Georgians, and are at war with the Abkhazians still.

ScreenSave246.jpg

All right, I'm disloyal! Must be from all that time the King has been mobilizing my regiment and doing nothing with it!

ScreenSave247.jpg

When you're sufficiently disloyal, you can declare allegiance to any other liege that can accept. A lot of fun strategic potential comes out of this! As Abkhazia is far closer to the Empire of Byzantium than Germany, I do the logical thing.

ScreenSave248.jpg

And he accepts!

ScreenSave249.jpg

We get our Regiment back!

ScreenSave250.jpg

And no more Duty to Liege!

What will happen to the Kievanites as they battle the Azeris alone? What will come of this joining of the Byzantine Empire? Just when will we get to annex Abauj already? Find out next time on the next exciting episode of Real Men Do It Alphabetically, an AARgau!

Last edited:
Well that somewhat unexpected. Perhaps they will aid you in you upcoming fight?

Real Men Are Preparing For The B Of Byzantium Early On, Eventhough It Will Probably Take Yet Another 500 Years To Get There... :D

Jon Young said:
Hurrah! With all the provinces beginning with A under his belt, Werner is bound to be powerful enough to be elected Emperor!

Yup. Huzzah!

just remember though, that Seljuks starts with an S not a C. ;)

Aye.

Interesting to see that you have decided to stab the Emperor in the back and find a new liege, but as you are going to capture province closer to Byzantium I guess it was a pretty clever move

Though I'd love to become the Emperor of Byzantium, the house rules dictate that I can't, and if I find myself able to, to prevent that possibility from ever occuring with all of my gaming might. Because gaining the title would mean that suddenly my kingdom would be full of titles not in alphabetical order...

anonymous4401 said:
Though I'd love to become the Emperor of Byzantium, the house rules dictate that I can't, and if I find myself able to, to prevent that possibility from ever occuring with all of my gaming might. Because gaining the title would mean that suddenly my kingdom would be full of titles not in alphabetical order...

Full of vassals not in alphabetical order... you could give away the out-of-order demesne provinces :)

The spectacle of someone battling the AI to avaoid the Imperial throne would be funny as hell. 'Take the provinces, take them! Damnit, I institute Gavelkind! Take that!'

No, the rules are that strict. I am taking provinces alphabetically, and counting those of my vassals as my provinces. Otherwise it would be far too easy, as like I said I could become the Emperor of Byzantium within a generation.

How about ducal titles? Will you accept a ducal title not in alphabetic order?

As long as the Vassals under it are in order?

I don't know about the Ducal titles. Maybe, maybe not. And it could be that I grab and win a Ducal title without having any of the provinces in it be in my demesne or realm. If the Counts under it try to pledge to me out of alphabetical order I must refuse them.

Timely deaths.

Chapter 1: Abauj

As told with many pictures. And a moderate amount of words.

(All formats, fonts, layouts, and even this little disclaimer stolen blatantly from phargle's
Knud Knýtling, Prince of Denmark (and other assorted tales))

ScreenSave251.jpg

Look at how the Court of Abauj copies me so! They even got a Laszlo of Abauj to compete with my Berthold of Aargau! Well, I cannot let such a thing stand!

ScreenSave252.jpg

And we succeed, but were discovered!

ScreenSave253.jpg

Without a Spy Master, the Court of Abauj will be especially vulnerable for the rest of the day. And by day I mean the game-day, which lasts as long as I'm paused, which I am, as letting the game proceed another day will let Almos pick a new Spy Master and all.

ScreenSave254.jpg

And Almos, whose enmity with me stretches back to the beginning of the game, is finally dead!

ScreenSave255.jpg

Of course, this places the infant Heinrich von Habsburg on the throne of Abauj, not the ruler I am currently playing now, but now the ridiculously frail nature of Otto's sons can be used to my advantage! Heinrich, like the other two grandsons, is sure to die soon due to shoddy manufacturing standards in Malaysia, and when he does Abauj will go to me directly, thus allowing me to set out for annexing Abkhazia sooner!

ScreenSave256.jpg

Almost expectedly, Heinrich gets Pneumonia. Surviving it is very rare in both medieval times and CK!

ScreenSave257.jpg

And Baldy finally inherits! Werner is 67 years old or something at this point. Or was 67 years old or something. Speaking of whom...

ScreenSave259.jpg

With the Pneumonia it was only a matter of time!

ScreenSave260.jpg

And we finally own Abauj! Ain't it pretty? And finally, after 27 years, we have taken our first province!

That took a long time. Seriously. I mean, how long has it been? Six weeks. It took you six weeks to get one province. What's wrong with you? Really, forget not breaking out of the A's, you're not breaking out of the Ad's! Find out next time on the next exciting episode of Real Men Do It Alphabetically, an AARgau!

Last edited:
Finally!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(oh, that's sad - even if I italicize them, the little smilies aren't tilted... :mad: )

& smooth move with the allegience transfer - it is too sad you won't be working your way up the Imperial hierarchy anytime soon. It'd be hilarious to see an Orthodox von Habsburg taking on the Papists. :D

I'm curious though, what happens if you take Abkhazia only to lose Aargau to the Seljuks in one of Byz's endless wars: will you have to retake Aargau before moving on? or is this a once-it's-checked-off-the-list,-it's-off-the-!@$@-list deals?

j.

Well, I haven't lost a province yet. That'll be a bridge to cross when we get there!

Great, A Real Man On The Abauj..., Abaudian, Abaujian, Abaujeze... Abaujadian Throne... :D