• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So it begins. The march of the pedants commence.

Last edited:
So agree, let the emperor pay your troops whilst they go and fight Abkhazia. That must be why he has mobilised the Empire.

Your latest offspring has the same poor stats as the other. You'll know her days are numbered when she starts sneezing.

Over/under on how long the new child lives beyond birth is set at 360 days (1 Paradox year). Place your bets. (And Aye: you just tell me whether it'll be over or under the given number)

Bets will also be taken on the sex of the new child and its name.

By the way, what's Abydos looking like right now?

Judas Maccabeus said:
Over/under on how long the new child lives beyond birth is set at 360 days (1 Paradox year). Place your bets. (And Aye: you just tell me whether it'll be over or under the given number)

Bets will also be taken on the sex of the new child and its name.

By the way, what's Abydos looking like right now?

600 days (i.e. over 1 year)
A Girl
Brunhilde

Oh, and I would also like to put a bet on either Germany (or a splinter state thereof) invading Aargau while the men are away playing with the Georgian girls.

Ayeshteni

I put my labalag cookie on that the child dies upon meeting the Real Man anonymous, which happeneds within a year. What's the odds?

Since we're getting into a betting mood...

1st bet: Under 25
2nd bet: Over a year
3rd bet: Male

In all cases, the winners of each bet will receive one Red Special Cookie should I lose.

In addition, I will also give anonymous one Red Special Cookie if he conquers Abkhazia on his first try without losing a province before he takes it. (Whether he loses any afterward is immaterial.)

Dysken said:
So it begins. The march of the pedants commence.

:confused:

Real Men don't bet.

Pshaw. However, real men would be wary of placing bets on something another real man is entirely responsible for and the sole verifier of. :D

j.

Pedant = Someone obsessed with completing something in a correct order/way. For example lining up your shoes in the order of Colour,usage,size and price. Or hmm... say capturing all provinces in CK by alphabetical order. I know the word exists in English but now I realize it might not translate correctly :(:

Dysken said:
Pedant = Someone obsessed with completing something in a correct order/way. For example lining up your shoes in the order of Colour,usage,size and price. Or hmm... say capturing all provinces in CK by alphabetical order. I know the word exists in English but now I realize it might not translate correctly :(:
I think the owrd you're looking for is neurotic:)

Dysken said:

A strongly pejorative term for someone who knows and shares much useless or esoteric knowledge. Example: a poster on the Paradox history threads you don't like.

(One you do like is just "well-read" or "knowledgeable" ;))

Also, someone who covers a lack of true understanding by learning such minutiae and correcting others' mistakes. Example: People who use needless Latin phrases; people who use the word "whom" with awkward correctness; people who know what pedant means and correct its misuse; people who take 15 minutes to type a post only to see a much shorter one address the point succinctly first. ;)

Someone obsessed with completing something in a correct order/way

"has OCD" or "is an obsessive" or "is a neurotic" heu cetera.

For example lining up your shoes in the order of Colour,usage,size and price. Or hmm... say capturing all provinces in CK by alphabetical order.

Ok, now I see whom you were talking about. Yeah - it was also confusing because you were acting like it had just started and anon's already been posting for weeks (admittedly with two provinces to show for it :p).

Don't get down in the mouth about it, though. That's pretty advanced vocab to be muffing & it might even have been a botch in your dictionary,* so good job. :)

j.

* My Chinese-English one put a word for "pinenuts" where there should have been a translation of "florist" so I spent a good chunk of Valentine's Day this year thinking I was asking for directions and instead actually convincing my neighborhood I was some kind of maniac werechipmunk.

EDIT:
Thanks for explaining the correct english usage of the world, but I must emphasize that in Swedish "pedant" although probably closely related to the english usage of the word only refers to someone who is obsessed with doing something correctly.

.shrug.

So now we know why you made a mistake, but it was still the wrong word, unless you change all the other words in your post to Swedish ones, too. :D

Although you have to agree the "MARCH" is just about to begin, this is the first time he actually takes direct action. Hence the "begins/commence" word usage .

.shrug.

Nah. Still utterly baffling when he's been working so long.

Maybe it's another Swedish thing. :D

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining the correct english usage of the world, but I must emphasize that in Swedish "pedant" although probably closely related to the english usage of the word only refers to someone who is obsessed with doing something correctly.

Although you have to agree the "MARCH" is just about to begin, this is the first time he actually takes direct action. Hence the "begins/commence" word usage ;).

First blood.

Chapter 2: Abkhazia

As told with many pictures. And a moderate amount of words.

(All formats, fonts, layouts, and even this little disclaimer thieved shamelessly from phargle's
Knud Knýtling, Prince of Denmark (and other assorted tales))

1094-1095

ScreenSave270.jpg

And only now do we deliver the declaration! Can't have it too soon, or else the Byzantines will beat me to the punch, and we can't have that!

ScreenSave271.jpg

And Otto is joined by his Marshal as they sail across the Black Sea! Or at least they will once they reach it.

ScreenSave272.jpg

Hooray! Now Abauj is slightly less completely worthless!

ScreenSave273.jpg

Great. It figures. Just before we get there! And after a nice forestry was completed, too!

ScreenSave276.jpg

We're in the middle of a war! A war where we're actually supporting the troops! We can't afford a feast!

ScreenSave277.jpg

It's Battle Time! The first battle of the AAR!

ScreenSave278.jpg

And in the heat of battle, Stefan von Habsburg is born. Will the hardy conditions of his birth help him live a longer life than his siblings? Or will the typical luck of his siblings befall him?

ScreenSave279.jpg

Victory!

ScreenSave280.jpg

But Ibrahim soon counterattacks...with a VENGEANCE!

My, what a cliffhanger! An update cutting right in the middle of a battle! This has never happened before! Of course, we've never had a battle in this AAR before, but still. Just what will happen? This is very, very exciting! Just what will happen? Will we ever find out? Tune in next time for the next exciting episode of Real Men Do It Alphabetically, an AARgau!

Last edited:
no cliffhanger here... it's pretty obvious Otto gets his ass kicked, especially when his enemy also has reinforcements on the way :p

let the Byzantines take care of them and you take the spoils.

Want to...bet on that?

2:1 odds!

A son with a 6, such wonder. Maybe he'll survive only for a brother with superb stats to be born latter?

It's not surprising peasants revolt when you build a forest all over their lovely hovels.

The army is actually involved in a battle. The Habsburgs will triumph - with a healthy dose of Roman steel.

Last edited:
*waits for the german declaration of war*
*waits for the others to relise i lost the bet*

*DOH*

maybe you can kill the Muslim Emir in battle and his lands splinter - or more likely that can happen to you. :D

aye.

Wow. That was a very action packed update! Forestries being completed, revolts going on, hopefully-longerlived-heirs being born, people getting slapped with large trouts (if they complain of how cheap you are.. say that at least you didn't use a small one).. and battles!!! This chapter looks like it is going to be short!

Waits for there to be some annoying peace event...