• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Quite disturbing in a way. You almost have to wonder if there is a facist government in power at the time of the lecture.

Duke : We all know that everything taught in history classes is true :p

Stnylan : It is rather creepy; the spontaneous eruption of patriotism is not something you'd expect in a university classroom

*adjusts beret*

Yes, French culture clearly important here ;) Can't leave us being like the armed barbarians to the east...

That day in class was one of my favorites. It was good that Dr. Renault allowed us to express our love for country. Unfortunately, class was not always celebration. We still had to do our work.

“During the early years of the decade of the 1840’s Dutch anti-French agitators living in Belgium harassed and disrupted trade and commerce in Belgium and in the recently annexed Walloon provinces necessitating French intervention in Belgium proper to restore order. After years of peace, April 1842 saw a resumption of hostilities on the continent as French armies intervened across the Belgian border.

The government of Belgium had proved unable or unwilling to restrain these revolutionary elements. The days of Belgian independence were numbered. By July the Belgian government had surrendered almost all of it territory, leaving only the city of Brussels and its environs as an independent state. War with the Dutch followed soon afterwards to put an end to Dutch revolutionary agitation. By spring of 1844, France dominated the Low Countries as she had during the reign of Napoleon.”
2ndDutchwar.jpg

At this point in the lecture, I dozed off. When I woke up Dr. Renault was talking about Burma. I am very happy he didn’t see me sleeping…

“In January of 1843, war was declared on Burma in hopes of establishing a French stronghold in the Far East to counter British dominance of India, and to provide an advance post for French culture in those ancient lands. The doughty native fighters and rough terrain was difficult for French fighters who had been trained to fight continental enemies. Despite the superiority of French technology, the Burmese armies managed to hold France at bay, in the end ceding only the coastal provinces of Rangoon and Pegu. The Burmese were opponents worthy of a fight.”

On this point, Dr. Renault was quite correct. No one in France doubted the strength, courage and élan of our Burmese armies. Some of my friends in primary were the children of Burmese soldiers stationed here. This was no propaganda.
initialburmeseinvasion.jpg

Last edited:
Rrrgh! I think I'd like to wring M. le Proffeseur's neck. Where did he get his degree? the J. Goebbel's school of propaganda!? I hope "superior" French culture gets a kick or two from the "armed barbarians to the east."

Anyways, take this as a compliment, kingmbutu, since you're actuating the characters very well. Being able to provoke and emotional response fro the audience is always a good sign (or, well, almost always).

Which I suppose is a rather grugding admission that the French were beaten by a load of natives with sticks and sharpened pieces of fruit! ;)

VILenin : Thanks for the compliment. I fear those "armed barbarians" may cause me some trouble down the line

stnylan : More or less, yes. We had our proverbial clocks cleaned, and there is only so much you can do make that sound good.

Hmmm... the word choice here... it seems to point towards a pseudo-facist/ nationalist mind set on the part of the French Peoples of this AAR

stnylan said:
Which I suppose is a rather grugding admission that the French were beaten by a load of natives with sticks and sharpened pieces of fruit! ;)
Sharpened fruit can be quite dangerous, you know. I've heard nasty stories. ;)

Quoted from The Rise of France by M. Essex:

In 1846 France was no longer the country it had been ten years earlier. The timid and uncertain foreign policy established in the wake of the 1830 revolution had been supplanted by a new assertive stance on the world stage. Almost all of Belgium and much of the Netherlands had been reincorporated into France, and northern Africa was dominated by France. The Western Mediterranean Sea was increasingly a French lake. The French even held territory in Southeast Asia, a harbinger of things to come.

Though France was not officially allied to any nation, relations with other major powers had not declined significantly. In fact Anglo-French relations were improving as were relations with Russia. Ongoing diplomatic initiatives had smoothed the anxious nerves of the other great powers. The French military was large, although there had not been any significant revision of technology or tactic in the previous decade. Nevertheless those armies strong enough to defend the fatherland if necessary and increased numbers of reserves insured that in any major conflict, the people of the French nation would remain secure.

Economically, the French nation was competitive, though not superior in its industrial pursuits. Territorial expansion had put some strain on the French economy, which hindered its growth. The population of the nation had risen by over ten million, much of that by acquisition of new territory.

In cultural affairs, France stood shoulders above her competitors. No civilized nation attracted the galaxy of thinkers and philosophers as did France. The prestige of the nation was on the rise. France stood poised to make the best of the next few decades.

VILenin said:

:rofl: Sharpened fruit... hahahaha. I didn't notice that before. How does one sharpen fruit anyway?

VILenin said:
"Right! Come at me with that banana!" :rofl:

So France, even in defeat, remains superior to all else. I'd expect nothing less from Prof. Renault.

So time for a little social unrest perhaps - given that it is the mid-1840s.

kingmbutu said:
:rofl: Sharpened fruit... hahahaha. I didn't notice that before. How does one sharpen fruit anyway?
Pineapples can be deadly, belief you me. ;)

coz1 said:
"Right! Come at me with that banana!"
:D

And yes, the scent of Revolution is in the air, though from tone of Prof Renault's lectures it doesn't seem that they'll be successful.

And the focus (or at least not forgetting) on Culture techs seems to paying off in the prestige department.