• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fear not I have arrived!

"Fools! To even think of subjagating ourselves to this barbarian."

This was ll the Diet heard as the door to the council room slammed upen. In walked Johan von Rathenburg, Baron of said town, a saxon, and a well known supporter of the prince.

"And further to question our choice of capital's at a time like this, if our confederation is ever to achieve more than minor squabbles we must cast aside our old fears."

He casts a cold glare at the Brandenburg and Pommeranian groups.

"I have fought long and hard for Saxony, and I will fight for this confederation, if it proves itself worthy."

He stalks to his seat at the table, yanking the chair from its place and sitting down in it s hard that everyone was sure it was going to snap beneath him.

Update: 1496- May 1st 1504

Fredrick had never really had any desire, or intention of signing a vassilization pact with Denmark. However, in order to keep relations with the Northern Power stable he had needed the outrage of the Diet to 'force' him to decline. Deutch-Dane relations took a small hit, but quickly recovered.

The period of 1496-1504 was marked by slight disturbances to the order of the new principality, but was also a time of expansion both economically and in the realm of foreign affairs.

In 1502, Hungary was added to the Polish domianted alliance, France annexed both Britanny and Navara, and Bohemia was vassilized by Austria, which also entered into an alliance with several of the smaller Southern German states. It was becoming evident that the Holy Roman Empire was beginning to line up into two very seperate camps. How much longer could peace hold out?

Several disturbences where also caused by the capital's position in the city of Dresden. Many of the nobels, expecially of Brandenburg and Pommerania, wished the capital to move to a more Cental location.

In 1500 a revolt broke out in the provicne of Kurstin by peasents and minor mobels demanding the relocation of the capital to the city of Berlin. The Army of Pommerania was sent to deal with the disturbence but, due to the commanding general's sympathy for the rebel's cause, the army quickly fled the field leaving the rebels wounded, but still standing.

The Prince reacted with a vengenace, having the General sacked, and his families' lands confiscated and redistributed to a more loyal family. The position of cleaning up the mess came to General Scherer, a native of the Kurstin province itself. On March 13th, the Pommeranian Army once again marched into battle, this time driving the rebels from the field.

Shortly there after a petition, signed by many low ranking nobels, arrived on the Desk of Fredrick, asking him to formally relocate the capital. The Prince refused angery, declaring "I made my deal with the devil after the 3 Years War, I will not suffer him now"! (Nobel Petition -2 stability) Luckly this was a comment made infront of his 10 year old son, and so no nobels overheard, however it would have a lasting impact upon the young boy.

In more private news, the Princes' only son, Fredrick Wilhelm was sent to the University of France for schooling. Despite the chilly relations between the Confederation and France, he was said to ahve been treated very well indeed, and soon came to love the French culture as well as his own.
--------------------------------------

For the Diet: How should funds be allocated? We are currently at tech level 7 for Army and 7 for Navy.

Feel free to bring up other issues as well. I think you all know the drill.

Baron von Lundsdorf was not disturbed at all by von Rathenburg's remark.

"Fools, he says. If we would've been at the center of the realm to hear of these things sooner, we would not have HAD this problem today! But we are here, hundreds of miles away from the center of any German state.

The best question to ask at any time is 'Why?' Can you give us a good reason, other than the fact YOU get to recline in your home when you get done this evening, von Lundsdorf? Can you tell us how being here aids the realm of Germany in any way? Oh, it's most convenient for you, yes indeed. But our greatest concerns, Denmark, Sweden, Poland, and Austria, are all FURTHER from us here than if we were in a more central position. Indeed, by the time we will be able to act from HERE, many of our esteemed member's families will be raped, pillaged, ransacked and otherwise defiled by these barbarians you so recently decried.

Let Frederick show us his renowned wisdom and hear the voices of his countrymen saying listen to reason instead of convenience!"

The shouts of acclamation from the northern delegates rang through the hall.

1st May of his Lord year 1504,

So many years has passed since Konrad von Liechtenstein the fourth has become a member of the Diet, and he had never see the time passing so quickly.

He was a young noble when he arrived at the Diet in Dresden, and he was now a mature man with his 30 years old. He even married, and the new was a shock in all the Confederation... Fathers and Husbands thank the Lord for the good news.

His wife, Sophia Katzemberg was only a merchant's daughter, but the daughter of the Burgmeïster of the Hanseatic town of Kolberg and of one of the richest merchant of the Baltic. The couple has unfortunally no kids.

Never Konrad appeared on the first scenes of politics or of military affairs. And the rare occasions that he was in Dresden, he made rare appearences at the Diet, only to salute his fellows Deputies and his Lord. He also treasured the rare moments, he could have with Von Barkheim, the friend of his deceased father, and the commander of the Electoral Guard, his father one conducted to the battle.

He also liked this Dr Pollock, a real savant whose knowledges and relations in the Confederation and even in the far Italy made from the backward german noble, that was Konrad, a accomplished Renaissance man, supporter of the Arts and Sciences, able to discuss on every themes, philosophy, law, theology, poetry...

This idea to send young nobles to an University was a good idea, every state man should to this not only the one wanting to become a Church clerk or priest...

His only appointment was in the delegation that negotiated the Royal marriage with the Republic of Venice some 10 or 12 years ago. At this time, he asked to be nominated as Ambassador in the italian realm and he stay in the peninsula some 3 or 4 years, representing the Confederation in the powerful southern city states. People nearly forget his existence in the far north.

Bye,

Some years ago,

Discussion with Dr. Martin Pollock :

"Herr Doktor, I wanted to present myself, I'm Konrad von Liechtenstein, the fourth actually, and you were, I think present during my father last breath at the battle of Dohma."

(Dohma : 10 km, south east of Dresden, the site of the last battle of the Confederation War, the Imperial forces heading directly against the capital of the Confederation were defeated after crossing the Sudetens forest...)

"He said about you, that you were the only butcher,(smile) he will let operating him... I think that even you can make miracle."

"I know you are a man of knowledge, and that you went to the University, I have been just nominated to go to Venice, of course with a senior ambassador."

OOC : who want to be my "mentor" in diplomacy, maybe the Count Wilhelm von Neubourg

"And I will respectly ask you to recommand me some lectures during the trip and maybe some persons to visit during my trip in Italy. I know you have a lot a friends or even pen-friends, that are scientists, philosophers, universities masters..."

And follow a discussion about this so called new Age of Civilization...

Bye,

Re: Fear not I have arrived!

Some years ago also :

In June 1496 probably :

Originally posted by Rath Jones

"Fools! To even think of subjagating ourselves to this barbarian."

He casts a cold glare at the Brandenburg and Pommeranian groups.

"I have fought long and hard for Saxony, and I will fight for this confederation, if it proves itself worthy."

A very elegant, perfumed and well dressed man (silk-gold-cotton), stood from the ranks of the Pommeranian Deputies :

"It wasn't for Saxony that you fought, but for the Confederation."

"Never forget the blood, we poured together on the field of battle, neither as Pommeranian or Brandeburgian or Saxon, but as Confederate..."

"And if you thank that we must be ennemies in this Diet because, you are Saxon, and I'm a Pommeranian, you are the the fool."

"And never look at me with this cold stare again because, it can be the last stare, you made in this world..."

Another saxonian deputy, behind you, say :

"Never mind Johan, this young lad spend to much time in Italy, in this country, to give someone a cold stare is a kind of provocation, as if you are asking him : you don't have the temper to look in my eyes."

Bye,

Von Gutz sat silently through the debate on vassalization, they should know his answer. Instead he was counting allies...

"On the matter of the military, you all know as well as I that the enemy's are not over seas, but next door. Pommerania, from were I was born, borders mighty Poland, our ally now but for how long? Saxony is but a door way to the entire Holy Roman Empire, a coalition of states could see us in trouble. You all also remember the war with the Habsburgs, that was not fought on the high seas.

We must encourage growth in the military, with an enemy in France and a power hungry Austria we must protect and expand our borders. I put forth that this Diet vote on increasing the money allocated to the army.

I also recieve word of changing the capital. I too am from the North, but do you all remember the revolts not but a few years ago? I am here now because I fought along side the Saxon, loyal, troops. The capital must stay were the Prince says it should, for he is the leader of this Confederation.

I bring forth one last thing, military campaigns. The Confederation can not sit and allow Germany to be shaped without her. Poland and the Vickings in the north will simply fight in the East, which is of no importance to the Confederation. More important is the west. Germany lies shattered, and why not create a new Emperor for Germany! Why should the Habsburgs rule the empire when the Prince of the Confederation could fight him on even terms! I say we expand and strengthen our position in Germany before it is too late."

The bulky man sits down, his outfit that of a lower noble. He could here talks behind him, some supporting, some violently against, and some not yet sure...

He turned to Baron von Lundsdorf, the man most vehement on changing of the capital. "If we move our capital we would be seen as loosing interest in Germany, which is of the most importance to us."

Prince Fredrick I of the Confederation of Northern German States approached the halls of the Diet. The building as still new yet to many minds, having only been completed over 15 years ago in 1491. It was not nearly as brand the Senate halls of Venice or the Riechstag in Austria, but that didn't seem to bother him at all. To be honest, if he could do without the Diet, he would glady be done with it. But that was not an option at this point, and so he would survive.

"Members of the Diet", he called out into the hall, "nobles of Germany, I thank you all for coming."

There was polite applause from the sitting nobles.

"Over the past years we have begun a great adventure. An adventure in survival in the great wilderness of Teutonic politics. And we have survived, defeating the Emperor's own forces many years ago, and have gained the respect of the other States of Europe"

People nodded their heads.

"Now you have told me it is time to expand our armies and perhapse even our realm itself. I must agree, a nation is forged by the fire and steel of its military, and I have already taken steps to strengthen our armies; enlarging our forces and taking steps to make them more offencivly viable.

However, although a part of a strong alliance ourselves, we also find ourselves surounded by two alliances, that of The Osterreich and Bohemia, as well as the alliance of the Northern tradign stakes of Meckleburg, Bremen, Holstein and so forth. Even lowly Wurzenburg has the help of others in its quest for independance. Furthermore, we have no cause to attack these other nations, and any war agsinst them will destroy our reputation with the other nations of the Holy Roman Empire, and Europe at large"

With that, the Prince steps back and exits the halls. He wants a war badly himself, and would love to attack and annex Bremen and Meckleburg, but how?

Ummmm... Daniel? Could you possibly slow down? You've just flown through 12 years of this AAR in one day real-time. That's really too fast for any of us to respond to events or develop our characters. My character (Martin Pollock) is based on a real historical figure who dies in 1513 which means that at the pace you're going he'll be dead before I can do anything with him. If you want this to just be a regular AAR keep it up at this pace, but if you want it to be an interactive RPG/AAR you need to slow it down big time. I recommend doing 1-year/real time day at the very fastest.

Also, are you going to give us (the Diet) much say in steering events? I've noticed that most of the decisions to date have been made by you with minimal opportunities for input from the rest of us. It might be more fun if we are able to debate state decisions.

Originally posted by DanielMcCollum

P.S. How exactly do a post a screenshot? I know how to MAKE them, just not post them.

Well, first you have to have a website to post them on. If you have a website and know how to do this then all you have to do is insert the link into one of your posts by clicking on the button up top (under the Bold/Italics/Underline buttons) that says http:// and filling in the required info. When you do this this first box that pops up is for the text that you want to actually display in your post - you know, all the yellow bold text, like at the bottom of my post here where it says "Czech Please...Bohemia AAR". Then another box pops up with http:// written in it. To this you add the web address where your screenshots are posted. Usually you can provide a link directly to the individual pictures rather than the whole web-page so that we can view the screenshots one at a time.

If you don't know how to create a webpage for your screenshots its more complicated... If you have AOL they have a pretty good walk-through program to create a website. Also, www.geocities.com offers free websites though its a bit complicated to figure out how to upload pictures and actually get them to display, plus the display quality is rather fuzzy.

(Or go to http://www.Care2.com although it doesn't let you have the pictures by themselves you can still display them, and it is easy to figure out.
Never fight a land war in Asia right Gandalf :) "As you wish")

Gutz sat in dismay as the emperor rold them they were not going to expand. And before the monarch had left he stood and spoke.

"O gracious Majesty, my Prince and my ruler. I have given you my sword and service, but now I must ask for something in return. We must make this confederatio stronger. The longer we wait the harder it will be! The rest of the world will leave us by, perhaps we can persuade Denmark to declare war on the Northern states? The land should be ours be right on conquest! All those who served with me in the war with the Emperor know how strong his armies are, I saw them at Dohma, and Drei Hügel*. I know what happens when a kingdom forgets how strong the Habsburgs truely are. We must expand if we are to survive.

(*The battle of three hills, a battle during the war on the Emperor's attack, the Confederate troops were well matched but because of superior ground the Habsburgs routed the Confederate troops)

One sunny summer day in 1504

Count Wilhelm von Neuburg was ready to leave his rainy county in Brunswick to yet again tkae part in the politics of the German Confederation. "It is deeply annoying to have the capital in Dresden" he whispered to himself, Count Wilhelm was clearly a supporter of moving the capital to Berlin and having the Diet building on his doorstep. As he set off a messanger came to his estate shouting "Count Wilhelm! Please wait, I have a message for you!" Count von Neuburg promplty stopped and began reading the message. It was written by Konrad von Lichtenstein the fourth and asked of Wilhelm to teach the young pommeranian noble the ways of diplomacy. The messanger was dismissed and Wilhelm told him he'd consider the question. Konrad was a young noble and seemed deeply interested in international relations, and he was a close friend of the mayor of Wirtemberg, Dr. Martin Pollock, a man Wilhelm never got to know, but a man Wilhelm always admired for his political skills. With the message deep in his thoughts Count of brunswick set ouyt to Dresden to discuss the budget for the coming year.

His plans for the budget were kept safely in a brown, leather briefcase, a gift from his brother when he last visited Bremen. The plans stated the most of the budget be spent on land military and
OT: What is our standing in trade and infra?
trade, while keeping a minimal income to the treasury. As he rode into Dresden redy to discuss the matter of the capital and bufget the next day. And still concerned about Konrad's proposal

----

What does OOC mean???

Re: One sunny summer day in 1504

Originally posted by Mamut

What does OOC mean???

OOC = Out of Character - use that in a post when you step out of your roleplaying character and say something as yourself (i.e. Mamut - the guy sitting at your computer contributing posts to an online gaming forum).

Gandalf said:
"Ummmm... Daniel? Could you possibly slow down? You've just flown through 12 years of this AAR in one day real-time. That's really too fast for any of us to respond to events or develop our characters."

I have to agree. I had a most beautiful response for Teutonto ready, but I really can't give it now, because 12 years have gone by, and I guess that means the debate has ended...

Johan von Rathenburg stood, and adressed his monarch.

"My lord prince, I would like to pose a question."

"Proceed." Came the reply.

"It seems apparent to me that the general consensus of the Diet, and of yourself is expansion. However. We seem to find ourselves blocked by alliances built allmost as if to stop this very idea. So I would ask you my prince. Is there no other nation, or group of nations that would support us? If you can find none, then I must counsel to wait, and strike when the enemy is most vulnerable.

Von Rathenburg sits down, as the rumble of conversation begins.

Dr. Martin Pollock rises to address the Diet of the Confederation...

My friends and lords, I'm afraid I must counsel against those who advocate for expansion through war and conquest. While I too share the dream of expanding the benefits of our Confederation to include all members of the German race, I tell you that such an endeavor will fail unless each state enters into it willingly and wholeheartedly. Thus I propose that we look to expand our influence not through conquest but through diplomacy. Let us court the favor of the German princes, and one by one woo them into our fellowship. In this way we will avoid staining our reputation and delegitimizing our rule in the eyes of fellow nations. Believe me, the more warlike we become, the more difficult it will be to turn from that path. Once we have shown our German brothers that we desire to be their overlords rather than their peers, who then will be amiable to peaceful vassalization or annexation into our confederation? No my friends, we must show Europe that the German Confederation is a peace loving state who fights only for matters of honor or defense, and not for simple greed.

In line with this policy of peace, I propose that our national budget be primarily directed towards reasearch in the areas of law (i.e. infrastructure) and economics (i.e. trade). I believe developments in these areas will lead to long term benefits to our national income, and in turn aid us in our diplomatic efforts.

October 18, 1502

It is the innaugural day for the University of Wittenberg. For the past 10 years the respected Dr. Martin Pollock - Mayor of Wittenberg, Member of the Confederation Diet, and personal physician to Prince Frederick the Wise himself - has lobbied support and raised funds for the founding of this Universtiy. His dream has been to turn Wittenberg into a major center for philosophy, science, and theology so as to even rival Paris and Leipzig. Today, the beginnings of that dream are realized. Dr. Pollock stands on the steps of the new building and gives his first address as the founding Chancellor of the University of Wittenberg.

... I foresee the day when new understanding and new knowledge will pour forth from this university onto Europe like a flood. From these halls will issue theological insights to rival Aquinas and Augustine. From here will we train the leaders of Europe to order their hearts and thoughts in line with the rational disciplines of ancient Greece and Rome. We will become a haven for lovers of Aristotle and Seneca, Hippocrates and Ptolemy. I myself have laid the foundation for this endeavor. I have hand selected the cream of the crop from among the educated dons of Europe to lecture here in Wittenberg. I have established statutes for the governance and curriculum of our university; and I have donated large sums of my personal fortune to purchasing texts from across Europe. Already our library contains almost 200 volumes! I desire to see Wittenberg become a center of new learning, thus I invite printers to come to our fair city and bring the marvelous new printing press technology to the service of academia. We will make Wittenberg the foremost producer of new books in all of Europe!...

Dr. Pollock went on like this for some time, describing his vision for the University. At one point, as he described his hopes that the University would help revitalize the study of theology in Germany, a young law student visiting from Erfurt wandered by, somewhat intrigued by what he heard. "Perhaps," thought this young man who went by the name of Martin Luther, "I will consider applying to teach at this new University once I obtain my Law degree." He quickly shoved this thought to the back of his mind however and continued on his way.

Last edited:
OOC: I was just attempting to speed through the first few years in order to give us a chance to set up. YOu will ntocie that in the Italy AAR we where goign through at about 10 years a pop in the first few pages. However, I think we've got quiet a few people now, and so it only makes sense to slow down.

Originally posted by DanielMcCollum
OOC: I was just attempting to speed through the first few years in order to give us a chance to set up. YOu will ntocie that in the Italy AAR we where goign through at about 10 years a pop in the first few pages. However, I think we've got quiet a few people now, and so it only makes sense to slow down.

Thanks, like I said before, I don't want my character to die before I can do anything with him. Plus, my young sons and daughters are suddenly at marriage age and I haven't had any time to develop love interests for them, or get to know any of the other players in here to marry them off to. ;)