• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(2952)

Emperor of Wisconsin
Apr 13, 2001
Visit site
German Confederation RPG/AAR

Alright, here it is, the introduction to my the German Confederation AAR. The first post of the game should happen fairly soon, but I wanted to make a post to just kinda of flesh out the ideas of game and give people a little time to get a character/family up and running before the big festivities :)

-------------------------------------------------------------

The Confederation of Northern German States or the German Confederation, as it is usually called, began as a loose knit collection of states in Northern Germany. Among the most important of the early Confederation where Brandenburg, Pommerania and Saxony.

The history of the Confederation can be traced back to 1448 when the first Northern Alliance was formed to check the growing power of the Habsburgs of Austria, as well as incursions into the Holy Roman Empire by forces as diverse as Poland, the Danes or even the French.

Throughout the years the Alliance grew stronger, and drew closer together due to a series of well placed political marriages. By the 1480's the coalition of states had become a mainstay in the politics of the Holy Roman Empire, and Europe.

However, it was during the period of 1480-1490 that the Alliance began to consolidate into a distinct political entity. The ascention of Fredrick the Wise to the thrones of the three main states caused shockwaves throughout the entire Empire. Fearing the consolidation of power in the North, the Emperor and his allies made war against these lands.

The war would last for three years, and end in only a moderate victory for Fredrick over the Emperor, who was forced to recognize the former's claims and accept him as an elector, in exchange the Alliance gave Austria a small tribute as compensation.

No sooner had the war with Austria concluded than the Prince was forced to turn to internal difficulties as a rebellion lead by several leading noble families who also feared a consolidation. Rather than ravaging the coutnry side, once again, the Prince turned to diplomacy making several concessions to these forces; including the formation of a Diet to oversee the power of the Prince as well as make the princedom an elected position, much in the way of the Imperial title.

By 1492 the Confederation had begun to consolidate into the form it would take in later years. Decentralized with an emphisis towards the nobility of the realm, it still would prove a growing power inside the Empire and Europe.
---------------------------------

GOVERNMENT:

Prince: The Prince is elected by the members of the Diet. He is the most powerful member of the Confederation's government, but is not all powerful. The Diet can over turn his rulings with a 2/3rds majority, and must also concent to any and all taxes brought upon the land.

Diet: The Diet is a motly crowd composed of Nobles, Merchants, Bishops and anyone else of importance to German society. It is modeled, loosly, off of the English Parliment as well as the Imperial Reichstag. They are given the power to elect the King, veto any laws passed with a 2/3rds majority, and must accept any tax proposals. The Diet may pass proposals for laws, but such laws do nto become law without the concent of the Prince.

Capital: Fredrick chose the old Saxon capital to be his place of residence due to the long history of the city, as well as his own personal love for the region. His Saxonphilia is one of the reasons put forth for the initial rebellion of the nobels early in his reign, as they feared a loss of power for Brandenburg and Pommerania.

Make Up: As stated above, the Prince rules the Confederation with limited power from his capital in Saxony. The Diet, which meets there as well, was a compromise formed from Nobility which feared the Confederation turning into "Greater Saxony", a loss of rights and privliges, as well as greed.

----------------------------

RP: Ok, there you have it, a rough history of the German Confederation. Now, you ask, how do you play? Its easy! Simple make a character; most will chose to be a part of the Diet, but you might wish to create a character who is a beurocrat, a diplomat and so forth. The only restriction is that it can't be a position already taken or give you to much athority over others without others concent(an exaple would be, from the Italy AAR, if you want to be Pope you'd ahve to either be elected or gain the permission of the players) other than that, feel free to create create create.

By the way, the Diet is a very informal body unlike a Certian Italian Senate, and certian cities may gain more representation in it than others so, don't be to concerned over choosing where your character is from. The point here is to have fun.

The Prince: The Prince is elected for a life time term by the members of the Diet. The first two or three Princes I will control dirrectly until we have things set up a bit better. However, after that, it will be an elected position that will go along with Role Play as well as the roll of the dice.

Anyone who is elected to the position of Prince will have some control over the way the game is played by telling me how to manage policies and such things.

Since the term is life long, I'm not going to set a limit on how long your character can live, but remember that at this time period long life spans where uncommon, even for nobles, and so a 20 year reign should be _VERY_ uncommon.

------------------

Ok, well there you have it. Feel free to begin to set up some characters and stuff. The first update should come tomorrow, and will just show the first few years of Fredrick's reign from 1492 onwards. Lets all have some fun with this.

This is just a kind of prologue, right? So when does the real thing start??? Since I didn't have any "real" fun in Italy, I figured I'll join another RPG right from the start.

Hienrich von Gutz, Das Schlaue (the sly) A diplomat and a Count from Stralsund in Pomeriania. He was born into a noble family, but as a younger son was sent to fight. He became a captain in a Landsknecht battalion, and fought in numerous campaigns in the north. He won fame during the war with the Emperor. He sided with Freidrick during the revolts but joined the Diet to add some support for the ruler.

(that ok?)

Very nice, i cant wait to follow this and see how you guys develop it. I should have time for a showing now and then. Ill make a character later depending on how much time I can give. Hey is there a place for a bishop? Maybe I could play a cardinal, thats right down my alley:D

Kudos Daniel for taking the time to get another RPG monster going, I think this has great potential, I will help you where I can, ;)

WHAT A GAME!

Baron Albert von Lindsdorf was the scion of favored Brandenburg nobility. His father had been a favored advisor to Elector Friedrich of Brandenburg, and the mission he had been given by the Prince was simple...Ensure a transfer of power to Brandenburg of the Confederation.

Albert was likeable, intelligent, and quick on his feet. The very qualities one would need to be a successful representative of Brandenburg for the Diet. He was also young, having just come into his own inheritance. But there was little doubt as to his ambition. He was a loyal subject of the Elector, but he was not above riding the coattails of this confederation straight to its top, if it could be arranged.

And he thought he could arrange it...

Last edited:
Well, since everybody is posting their characters, I think I'll post mine too

Count Wilhelm von Neuburg, the current Count fo Brunswick, hailing from a rich merchant family in Bremen, was married into the von Neuburg house at the age of 19. His new family wanted to give him a future in the military, but it turned out that Wilhelm was a medicroe leader. When Wilhelm was 28, the current count of Brunswick, Albrecht von Neuburg, passed away and gave the county to his daughter Anna, her being the wife of Wilhelm. Anna was not a great administrator, but with the neverending advice of Wilhelm the county grew as a richer and stronger member of the German Confederation. Three years after being named countess Anna decided to give the duchy away to her husband Wilhelm. He had his own plans for the future and the title of a Count just bought him a ticket to the Diet, which he joined in 1489 - at the age of 31. Wilhelm turned out to be a good diplomat, and a splnedid adiministrator back home. He wanted to keep his County, but realized that he can only hold on to it by supporting the prince, so he did.

Well, this is the prologue to my new chracter. Hope you like it (the story that is :)) , we shall see waht the fututre holds for him. Can't wait for this RPG to kick off!

Ok, to let everyone know this will be my first (what should I call it??) interactive AAR. So bear with me if I get a little confused, please! I will play my character almost the opposite of his rather foolish name, as he is most definenently not the slyest of the bunch and can be almost dogmatic in his beliefs.

Hi everybody,

I want to participate to this RPG/AAR and I will present you my character :

Konrad von Liechtenstein (Konrad IV) born 1474 (Kolberg) - ........
Count of Kolberg

The son of Konrad of Liechtenstein the third, and the descendant of a noble and prominent family living on the Baltic since four generations. He just access to adulthood this year and he was chosen by the nobility and the merchants from Kolberg to represent them at the Diet as the son of a major character of the newly born german Confederation.

He lived all his life in Kolberg at the estates of his mother family, his father was always away in the services of Frederick the Wise. He was raised by his mother and her family as any young german noble of this time, learning some classicals : latin, theology, and also fencing, riding, hunting, some good and courtly manners.

For the people that can have some good informations about me : I don't like my father and don't want to be as him, only a silly warrior. I'm ambitious and want to have a great and rich family, I'm close of the Hanseatic merchants and in favor of trade, of inventions, and everything new. I want to make a long trip to Italy, the world leading nation in term of art, culture and civilisation. Loving of art, of luxuries, I like the worldly pleasures. The fathers of young ladies in Kolberg are happy to see me go.

OOC : Question to Daniel : Does this Frederick the Wise was the Duke Of Saxony Fredrik II or he is a fictional character...

But, I think that presenting my father is also important because he lived the unification of our Confederation as presented in the history book.

Konrad III von Liechtenstein
(born 1430 - died during the last battle of the Three Years Wars, also called the War of the German Confederation)
was a knight in service of Frederick the Wise, he began his life at the court of Saxony as a page in his early teens. Growing up he became a knight serving his lord in his personnal guard protecting him on the field of battle as in the numerous attempts of assassination he was victim.
Commander of the Electoral Guard, he was killed during the last charge, the Guard made in the last battle against the Emperor (Frederick III of Habsburg).

So I will wrote maybe more about my character and I wait with impatience for the beginning of the AAR.

Please check for additional informations on Saxony :

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/world/A0860948.html

this site also proved to be good on others historical subjects.

If somebody can tell be about another good historical encyclopedia on the net, please PM me.

Bye,

Hoo-ray! The German Interactive AAR has finally begun! :) I'll post a player soon (probably from Wittenburg - I want to be in the thick of it when the Reformation starts :D ), but I need to do some more research first since I want to be as historical as possible. Of course, I may not be able to resist involving the Bohemians somehow (my favorite European nation :D ). I know they're not part of the Confederation (yet) but we can work around that. ;)

Dr. Martin Pollock von Mellerstadt (b. 1450) - son of a minor noble family in the Franconian city of Mellrichstadt, Martin was educated in Medicine and Law at the University of Leipzig. Known for his innovative work on the treatment of syphilis, Dr. Pollock became the personal physician of Frederick the Wise in 1582. Close to the Prince's inner counsels, Pollock was made Mayor of Wittenberg in 1485. In 1486, when Frederick ascended to the throne of the German Confederation, he appointed Pollock to take his seat in the Diet as the representaive for Wittenberg.

Dr. Martin Pollock is known as a supporter of the arts and sciences, himself being an accomplished poet, philosopher, theologian, doctor, and leader. Currently he is discussing plans with Prince Frederick to found a new university in Wittenberg itself.

Pollock's wife, Alexia, is the eldest daughter of the Czech Count Ludvik of Plzen, sometimes rumored to be a Hussite supporter. Married in 1478, by 1492 they had four children. Two sons, Aleksandr (b. 1480) and Nicolas (b. 1482), as well as twin daughters, Katherine and Gretchen (b. 1486).

Can I put in a request for a screenshot Daniel? A political map of the German Confederation in 1492 would be very helpful in terms of gettin our bearings.

Von Barkheim checked the room. All looked right, the servants had acomplished their tasks dutifully. This room was the heart of the Confederacy, here the German nobles and bishops decided on the politics of the newly formed state. Von Barkheim was proud to be in this place, it was an honour and he knew he deserved it.
Being born as the second son of some minor noble in Pommerania nobody would have believed von Barkheim's rise in the military. When the Confederacy formed von Barkheim enlisted in it's army, quickly his bravery and his excelent grasp of tactics and fighting was noted by the commanding officers and he got promoted. He was present at nearly all the important battles and it was him who captured the Imperial Banner, a great disgrace for the Habsburg Emperor.
For his bravery von Barkheim got another promotion, the rank formerly held by Konrad III von Liechtenstein. Now he was known as Commander of the Electoral Guard. Von Barkheim was filled with pride when he looked at the Austrian banner, hung as an ornament above the throne.
Von Barkheim continued his walk through the large room, anything that would happen to the Diet was his responsability.

German Confederation from January 1st 1492-June 6th 1496

Events:

The Years of 1492-1496 mark a period of relative peace for the new found Confederation. Europe is divided upon its acceptance of the new Kingdom, Austria and France lead the opposition for opposing reasons. Austria fears a rival to the throne of the Holy Roman Empire, while France sees another obstical in its plans for Western Germany. On the other side are the states such as Poland and Denmark which now see a potential check to the growing power of Austria, as well as a solid state to act as buffer between them and the more violent Central European states.

Fredrick the Wise, ruler of the Confederation's focus has been mainly to internal affairs, most notably infastructure and the army. It was durign this period that he promoted tax collectors throughout his Principality, startign in Saxony and going North. Pommerania recieved the new official collectors in 1495, with a minimal of gnashing of teeth.

A potential controvercy arose between two leading noble families of the realm which also needed to be solved. Fredrick invited the two families to the capital at great expence and an agreement was able to be found (Noble Feud Solved: +1 stability -50 gold), however he was forced to take out a loan in order to finace this affair, as the Diet refused to raise taxes for such a piddly affair.

The Prince also strengthened the army (+1 offensive doctrine on the slider), as well as added to its small size over the years.

In the matter of foreign affairs, the Prince acted much less decisivly, and seemed to be testign the waters of Europe. He arranged royal marriages with many of the powerful nations, such as France, Venice, Poland, Denmark, Bohemia and Hungary, but was rebuffed by the Eastern state of Russia. Fredrick was also invited into the alliance of Poland and Denmark, to which he happy agreed although it meant a potential war with the Teutonic Order. However, the Order was badly decimated by the armies of Denmark and no noticable threat could be seen. So began the First Phoney War(1494-95) which ended with an agreement of a white peace between the Confederation and the Order.

Relations between the allies began to increase, expecially with the spreading of some royal money, to the point where Denmark, on June 6th offered the Confederation the chance to become a vassal!

------------------------

You are the Diet How do you decide?

Should the Confederation accept the vassalage or not? At this point Denmark is becoming a force in Northern Europe, and could be a usful protector. However, having fought for 3 years to come into existence, should be now accept another as our lord and soveriegn?

Also, how should the Confederation deal with the other powers of Germany and Europe? Should we prepare immediatly for a war with Austria, or should a more..cunning approach be taken?

Should our focus be on land or should be attempt to become the lords of the Baltic Sea?

These and more decisions are up for debate!

-----------

P.S. How exactly do a post a screenshot? I know how to MAKE them, just not post them. As for the Confederation it currently consists of the lands of Saxony, Brandenburg and Pommerania with the capital at Dresden.

Everyoen else is at 1492 boarders, except for Turkey which jsut annexed Dulkar.

Baron von Lundsdorf says "NAY!" to vassalage. Germans are not to be the puppets of another land's whims. In fact, I say to tell Denmark THEY are free to become OUR vassals if they wish.

(In an antechamber after the meeting, the Baron consults some of the Pommernian delegates as to why a German state should be headed from a city so obviously removed from the center of German influence. Of course, the group swears itself to secrecy until the right time to act on this act so unlike the reputation of "The Wise.")

sate policies - an exceprt form a letter to the Prince

(...)

In the light of the recent events, I deeply suggest we stay independent and free from the protectorate of any nations for years to come. Our alliance is strong enough to well protect our interest in Germany. In the Austrian matter I strongly advise to leave her be for now. Bohemia is a good enough buffer to the interest of both nations. Right now we should focus on land military, leaving the navy very small until we gain direct access to the north see via Bremen, then possibly a shift of politics would be at stake. In diplomacy matter I would take a course of agressive expansion to become the leader of the German nations, however avoiding direct confrontation with the Emperor.

(...)

Signed: Wilhelm von Neuburg, Count of Brunswick

Off Topic: I hope everything in that is right when it comes to countries existing and, not existing. Anyways, correct me if I'm wrong.

OOC: for all of you Italian vets, Scherer will basically be modeled off of Sharur in terms of personality. Just to let you know the horrors you're in store for :D

----------------------------------

"Frederick, really, you can't be serious! After all of the hard work we put into forming this alliance, surely you wouldn't consider making us a vassal!" Duke Scherer chortled and reached for his mug. The vast majority of the Kustrin nobility was behind Scherer, their informal leader, on this issue. Many of these same nobility, arrayed about the long wooden table, nodded in agreement.

"Well, I will admit I was taken a bit aback..."

"Damn right you were taken aback! Germans like us bowing before Danes! Pah!" Few aside from Scherer would so rudely interrupt the King, but the Duke was a boisterous man, somewhat of a loudmouth, so Frederick put up with it. He was, after all, very influential in Kustrin; he owned a sizeable estate, and more importantly, a relatively small but well-trained army OOC: I assume that we still have noble-owned armies in Germany during this time period. "Frederick, I don't even see why we're bothering to discuss this. Surely this tax collector whatchamacallit nonsense is of more concern. While I care not a whit what taxes look like in Pommern, I can't abide by such nonsense in Kustrin. Unless, of course, you're planning on adding a noble-exemption clause. I mean, who cares about taxing the peasantry?"

After this, the conversation drifted permanently away from the subject of Denmark.

(A hidden conversation)

Baron Scherer, you do realize of course that if Berlin were the center of Germany instead of this backwoods township, we would not be taken in by fools from Denmark! We must make our voice in the Diet heard. Saxony is too far removed from the center of gravity in Germany to merit this honor. Kustrin and Brandenburg have always been brothers. Let us stand as them now! Then we can deal with these men as they deserve!

And of course, those loyal to a true center of influence in a German state will be rewarded for their loyalty when all is restored to normalcy...