+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AAR Question - Play ahead or not?

AAR Question - Play ahead or not?

Hey...
    Right now, I have gotten a IMO pretty good idea about an actual story for an AAR. Typically, I am all out for playing and writing at the same time, so you don't get ahead in the savefile, but what if one would do an AAR where it's sometimes 'This and this happened' type of update and sometimes a 'storypart'? Would the best be to end the game before writing, write and play along or play ahead a bit?

Gratefull for answers.
    EUII AAR: Aragon

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    DiplomacyDungeonlandEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLegio
    Leviathan: WarshipsMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    SengokuSword of the StarsThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Not sure what you're talking about.

If I understand the question correctly...it depends how much of the story's written in stone. If a sequence of events (A beats B in a war, etc.) MUST happen....then you should probably play forward a bit. If the gameplay is a backdrop, or if you're not plotting the story too closely, then you don't have to play ahead. Why spoil the surprise?
    Active:
    Random World Order(EU4, Random)

Past:
    Beyond Tannenberg IV: The More Things Change(EU4, Teutonic Order, COMPLETE (Defeated))
    Beyond Tannenberg III: The Last Crusade (EU3, Teutonic Order, COMPLETE (Corrupt Save))
    Resurrection: Rebirth of the United States COMPLETED!
    CatKnight's Inkwell

The Closer Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

It depends on the type of AAR you are writing, will it be a narrative one with all kinds of plots and twists then you should play some decades ahead before writing.

If it is more a historybook or gameplay AAR then there is no need for that, since then you are just writing what you have done

Fat Cat Public Servant Sir Humphrey's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Pride of Nations500k club

It really does depend. I play sometimes a while ahead, sometimes even just enough to get an update done.
    Showcase of the Week March 30, 2004 - The Australian Lion.
    Writer of the Week March 6, 2005 - Under the Crimson Skies.
    Writer of the Week May 29, 2005 - The Sacred Grove of Britannia.
    Showcase of the Week January 17, 2006 - Under the Crimson Skies.

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    No rules, just personal preference and what works best for you and for the story. Playing ahead makes foreshadowing future events obviosuly easier, but runs the risk of making memory dull as several montsh might pass between playing the game and writing about that particular section.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

Darkest HourEuropa Universalis III: In NomineVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Blog Entries
    I agree with the others, its personal preference though I prefer to play just ahead to keep events fresh in my mind- I tried to play far ahead for some hindsight for my present British AAR and a Vicky side project I'm planning but it's more of a hinderence for me, mostly because I can't be bothered combing through histroy logs. Of course you might not, its totally personal

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

My personal preference is to play ahead - the entire game if possible. Then the plot and characters can be shaped to the story events. The times I have let the writing catch up to where I am in the game are the times the writing is most difficult.
    "That which does not kill me, has made a grave tactical error." - Jerry Pournelle

Seven AARs and a picture, too: Director's Inkwell

Thanks everyone for the answers... I think I'd prefer playing as I write, but some things in a story might be weird... Will maybe do a try-AAR to try if playing ahead is good or not...

Once again, thank you.
    EUII AAR: Aragon

I would generally stick to writing as you play and not getting too far ahead bcause otherwise you can forget parts you want to include or ideas you have for the story even when you are taking notes.

Well I had this same dilemma in my Argentina AAR. I had a very good idea of how I wanted the game to go, but I also played at the same time as I wrote. This added some spice to the game and I was forced to improvise at certain points. Eventually, my ending did change from what I anticipated because certain events didn't occur. If I had to give advice, if you are focusing on a game where the story matters most, play through it first. If you are combining story and game play, like I did, I would play and write at the same time. It ands to the fun of it. Attempting to pull off your goals is extremly fun, even if you fall a little short.
    WritAAR of the Week: August 13-August19, 2006
    Author of:God Save the Revolution: An Argentine HOI2 AAR (Finished)
    A Third World War: Global Conflict (Finished)
    Global Conflict 2: The Nigerian War Machine (Dead) (Mod now Available)
    The Union of American States: A USA Civil War AAR (Ongoing)

+ Reply to Thread