• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Our crowded office is buzzing with activity as we are working on towards an early press preview version of EU3. This is the first time we will give out our game to the press this early, so we’re working our hardest to make as good a version of the game as possible for that.

Even more eventengine development, with more effects and types. The scripters have also added in the main part of the random-events, giving further flavor to the gameplay. The map team have worked on the look of the map, and as you could see on the weekend teaser screenshot, we have changed how forests works. There is still a lot of work to be done there, but we can see the goal clearly now. The interface guys have finalised the main bulk of the messages, which makes the life easier for the testers. When it comes to the AI, we’ve been busy teaching it how to assault and blockade this last week.

Code:
#########################################################
#		Boundary dispute			#
#########################################################

province_event = {

id = 5087

trigger = {
		any_neighbor_province = {
			NOT = { owned_by = THIS }
			NOT = { is_core = yes }
		}
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 2000 # Random Event

modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			owner = { NOT = { DIP = 4 } }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.5
			owner = {
				OR = {
					advisor = diplomat
					DIP = 8
				}
			}
		}
	}

title = "EVTNAME5087"
	desc = "EVTDESC5087"

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA5087"		# Press issue
		ai_chance = { factor = 55 }
		any_neighbor_province = {
			limit = {
				NOT = { owned_by = THIS }
				NOT = { is_core = yes }
			 }
			add_core = THIS	
			owner = {
				casus_belli = THIS
			}
			THIS = {
				controller = { badboy = 1 }
			}
		}
	}
	option = {
		name = "EVTOPTB5087"		# Settle issue
		ai_chance = { factor = 45 }
		prestige = -0.15
	}
}
This the example of a random event which shows a provincial event which creates a border dispute. As it’s a random event, it has no dates set, nor any target countries, and merely a MTTH (Mean Time to Happen) and a trigger. MTTH is an extremely powerful tool to control frequence of events, depending on situations. The event system for EU3 contains all the parts from the two previous systems we have used, as well as adding several new things, as limits/triggers on effects, context switching while still being able to access target of event. The event system can now as well have as many options as you prefer from 1 and up.
This particular random event, gives you the option of getting cores on each neighbour province of the target province, that you don’t own and don’t have a core on, for a price of one badboy for each core, while giving the owner a free cb on you. The other option is a drop in prestige.

eu3_aug_16.jpg

Here, we have gotten a succession war over Sweden. This can only happen when your monarch dies, if you have at least two royal marriages. Then a succession war breaks out between the two most powerful countries you have a royal marriage with. You select which of the nations who’s claim is most legit, and end up in a union with them, and on their side in the war. Then a war with enormous prestige is fought over who will gain the Swedish Throne. That is merely one aspect of the non-determenistic monarchsystem.

You will never know when your monarch dies, you will never know the quality of who will succeed him, nor what will happen when the monarch dies.

• You may get a normal monarch.
  • You may get inherited by a more powerful country you have dynastic ties (not valid for player)
  • You may get a regency council for a few years where you have your hands slightly tied (for example no offensive wars can be started)
  • You may get into a union with a more prestigeful nation you have dynastic ties with.
  • You may get a succession war fought over your throne.

Of course, the extreme options are very rare, and only valid if your government is a monarch type.

That is cool! Having an unbroken string of the same leaders for each country is a little 2 dimentional. I am not familiar with other Paradox games but are succession wars a concept that is appearant in other games as well?
(edit: cut out stupid question)

The graphics are coming along nicely, I like the look of the Swedish soldier. What country has the flag in Osel? A Baltic State or is it the Tutonic Knights?

Johan said:
...Here, we have gotten a succession war over Sweden. This can only happen when your monarch dies, if you have at least two royal marriages. Then a succession war breaks out between the two most powerful countries you have a royal marriage with. You select which of the nations who’s claim is most legit, and end up in a union with them, and on their side in the war. Then a war with enormous prestige is fought over who will gain the Swedish Throne. That is merely one aspect of the non-determenistic monarchsystem.

You will never know when your monarch dies, you will never know the quality of who will succeed him, nor what will happen when the monarch dies.

• You may get a normal monarch.
  • You may get inherited by a more powerful country you have dynastic ties (not valid for player)
  • You may get a regency council for a few years where you have your hands slightly tied (for example no offensive wars can be started)
  • You may get into a union with a more prestigeful nation you have dynastic ties with.
  • You may get a succession war fought over your throne.

Of course, the extreme options are very rare, and only valid if your government is a monarch type.

Wait... the non-extreme options are available if the government is not a monarch type? Could Novgorod somehow be the subject of a succession war between Moscovy and Sweden if it's a merchant republic?

Yay a new dev diary update! Must read this later!
Thanks!

Brasidas said:
Wait... the non-extreme options are available if the government is not a monarch type? Could Novgorod somehow be the subject of a succession war between Moscovy and Sweden if it's a merchant republic?

succession war is an extreme option :)

non-extreme = you get a new ruler

Woo.

Event mod file: Whew, It sure looks like gibberish if you don't look closely.

Map: Wee, succession wars! Now a lot of people here'll get happy, that's for sure! And a thing to note: Gästrikland changed to Hälsingland... it sure looks great.

What exactly are the changes in options for the non-monarchist states? Can republics enter into dynastic alliances? Can the national leaders command military forces?

Well, it appears all of my succession war questions have been answered. Merci.

Cool! I like the dynamic core system, it should make the game more interesting, especially playing as a minor (which I enjoy doing).

Where can we track prestige? Will it be on the top bar or half hidden like BB? (I went years without even knowing what BB was, and when I finally discovered the numbers it took a while to figure out what they meant!)

Succesion wars look like an impressive feature (certaily makes you carefull about sending your monarch into battle) though it looks as if it could make for some very strange personal Unions. Speaking of which... could we get an explenation of those in the next diary?:D

Dairpo said:
Cool! I like the dynamic core system, it should make the game more interesting, especially playing as a minor (which I enjoy doing).

Where can we track prestige? Will it be on the top bar or half hidden like BB? (I went years without even knowing what BB was, and when I finally discovered the numbers it took a while to figure out what they meant!)

Prestige is a huge number in the middle of the overview screen you get when you click on the big flag for countyr-specific menus

-100 to +100 :)

Johan said:
Prestige is a huge number in the middle of the overview screen you get when you click on the big flag for countyr-specific menus

-100 to +100 :)

Nice. Thanks :D

TheDarkside said:
Oh one more thing maybe I'm not understanding something but how can you tell if your monarch has an heir or not?

you'll see :) two schools on that at the moment.

Being as anti-determinism as I am, I like the dynamic ruler system (although I'm certain naming traditions will still be in place, leading to familiar names on unfamiliar kings or properly named ahistorical monarchs - I just hope we'll get queens as well, every now and then).

So, no historical monarchs at all I assume? And does all of these options become possible *no matter how the monarch dies* or only if he falls in battle?

And will there be techs/national ideas to reduce the chances of the more extreme events?

Good that it makes Royal Marriages more important though....

The Phoenix said:
Being as anti-determinism as I am, I like the dynamic ruler system (although I'm certain naming traditions will still be in place, leading to familiar names on unfamiliar kings or properly named ahistorical monarchs - I just hope we'll get queens as well, every now and then).

Well... here's one table in the swedish database file.

Code:
monarch_names = {
	"Karl #7" = 100
	"Gustav #0" = 20
	"Gustav #0 Adolf" = 20
	"Karl #7 Gustav" = 5
	"Johan #2" = 5
	"Erik #13" = 5
}