• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Reducing direct Vassal count is probably a good idea, just make sure you're always more powerful than two of your vassals. I think internal dissent is going to remain the bane of the Empire and be the real limit on its success or expansion.

Septimus may delay the collapse, but he won't be able to prevent it. And expansion is absolutly out of question I fear, as reducing the number of vassals is a good idea, but making some of them stronger is not. A two sided sword it seems to me.

byza.jpg

Roman Empire of Europe and Mediterranean Sea

With me or against me, Germany is not the option

History
August 9, 1071 - October 17, 1071

What is happening outside the Roman Empire limes?

RE_1071_Limes.jpg

August 9, 1071 : We have granted Centule Count of Bearn the title Duke of Gallia Aquitania. (less vassals)

1071-8-9.jpg

Good news:
September 4, 1071 : Septimus and Estefania are expecting a child

Someone dislike us!

1071-9-24.jpg

May this change his mind?

execution.gif

October 17, 1071 : Septimus Emperor of Roman Empire now has a claim on the title: Duke of Raetia et Germania.

1071-10-17.jpg

WAR?

Septimus:"Any suggestion of a war plan? Yes we have more troops(240.000+) but scattered around the empire, they have a tactical advantage, plus they may try to involve Germany30.000+troops (and Hungary 20.000+troops)

Last edited:
I would say the question mark is not needed. War is the Roman way, after all :)

CSK said:
These Duchies are just huge. You should split them up into smaller ones to make them down easier. Divide et impera!

Yes, I'd like but then I would have 40 instead of 20 vassals as Emperor, and then the wisest advice would be to reduce the vassals to avoid "indipendence" "rebellions" byzantine events

Try not to loose some legions in some forrest... ;)

There are downsides either way. Fewer vassals makes it a little more manageable and lowers the chance of a rebellion; if they do rebel, however, they have more land and troops to fight you with. More vassals means they're weaker but raises the chance of rebellion. So you pays your money and you takes your chances.