• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Now that was an amusing battle. I suppose he can console himself that things are unlikely to ever go that pathetically again.

Janus Rook said:
This is so anachronistic, I love it. :D

Is there any place for us readers to download this mod, so we too can enjoy playing this?

Yes, see my signature, [post=5646969]here[/post] for the discussion thread

and [post=5954579]here[/post] for download (release date late september/early october).

:) (thank you for the interest)

Since I have limited time and I enjoy playing it, I will play some more years for this AAR! :rolleyes:

byza.jpg

Roman Empire of Europe and Mediterranean Sea

History
August 9 1067 - January 19 1068
Addendum​

September 11, 1067
Leaving the Capital Iulius assign the position of vice-steward of the Empire to Foteine, who have be pressing in the last months about having a role in the court, she is deceitful and proud.

11-9-1067.jpg

September 5, 1067
Suddenly, two days after the Spy Master Michael "dies of old age", Iulius is marching to conquer Sicily so he unwilling decide to rearrange the balance of the court powers. Ioannes Xiphilinos from Chancellor is the new Spy Master (his old age is a guarantee of fides), Zoe Maliasenos from Steward is the new Chancellor and Foteine (the Empress) is the new Steward.
The Byzantine Faction, expression of the still powerful Byzantine aristocracy and bureaucracy in the East, is left out of any relevant position.

13-9-1067.jpg

September 19, 1067
Voices of mismanagement of the Imperial Treasury reach Iulius together with an unconfimed anonymous report that someone in the court is preparing a trap against the Emperor, to kill him or to draw him as unfit to govern and command the army.
Is this mud from the Byzantine Faction or what is true in that?

19-9-1067-changeincounsilposition.jpg

September 27, 1067
News from Britannia, rebels are inviting foreign power to intervene, Iulius dispach a messenger with a word for the governor:"OCCIDERE"

27-9-1067-rebels-Britannia.jpg

Seems that Iulius' defeat in Sicily was not only emberassing but dangerous as it has encouraged his enemies. Maybe revenge against Marcus Aurleius for his presumption should be postponed while the true enemies of the empire are dealt with.

byza.jpg

History
January 20 1068 - December 9, 1068

January 20 1068
A new army is directed from Ravenna to Sicily
19-1-1068.jpg

March 2 1068
During the siege of the city of Palermo......
2-3-1068.jpg

and Iulius
2-3-1068b.jpg

June 1 1068
A break of autority in Hispania.
Personal frictions in the Jimenez family cause Sancho (Duke of Castilla) to proclaim himself also Duke of Navarra and to pledge directly to the Emperor, he was vassal of Alfonso Jimenez Governor of Hispania Superior.
Sancho (whose holdings are mainly around Barcellona and Pinenes) wants to attack muslims in the southern Hispania.
He says:"Sicily is only the first step for a Christian Roman Empire!"
1-6-1068.jpg

September 23 1068
Iulius:"Romans of Palermo are again part of us!"
23-9-1068.jpg

October 9 1068
A daughter to be married

9-10-1068.jpg

December 3 1068
Cumans suddenly sign peace with Hungary and Germany, this break the balance and before pecheneg-romans can intervene the Pecheneg Kingdom lose 2 province to Hungary.

3-12-1068.jpg

December 9 1068
Two province of Sicily now under the direct control of the Emperor, and now it's time for Siracusa. Iulius:"At least this Sicily affaire is done..........

9-12-1068.jpg

December 1068

3 messengers arrive in hurry from far away provinces of the Roman Empire
(Bad news?.....Good news? Nahhhh)
messenger.gif

Last edited:
Tprovic said:
December 1068

3 messengers arrive in hurry from far away provinces of the Roman Empire
(Bad news?.....Good news? Nahhhh)
messenger.gif

Tell us, please tell us!! :D

Nice update once again... :)

Three messages? Well, there is an old saying, problems come in threes...

Tprovic said:

[CENTER]
[IMG]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l271/Tprovic/Wife_Dress.jpg

:rofl: Shoo that's my money you are talking about! :rofl:

A magnificent AAR, with well hidden jokes :)

byza.jpg

History
First months of 1069

....Sound of Running Feet......the messenger enter Iulius Palace in Palermo.
Intrigue and Rebelliousness is spreding in the Roman Empire.

intrigue_1068.jpg

...from the East....bad news sir,
the Prince of Syria is at odds with the Duke of Damascus (the latter broke his pledge to Syria to directly pledge to the Emperor)

Syria_1069.jpg

...the Emperor, as catholic, wished to welcome the duke but to keep his direct vassals loyal have to punish Damasco. This make also him rebellious.
A war may be likely between two strong lords, a catholic and an orthodox, in the East, this with bordering mighty muslims Seljuks, and last but not least raising the risk of a direct confrontation of the two factions of the Empire bureocracy (the catholics of Rome and the orthodox of Byzantium/Constantinopolis)

Damasco_1069.jpg

...from the West....bad news sir,

Assassinations attempts are reported between Castilla and Hispania Superior courts

Castilla_1069.jpg

...from the North....bad news sir,
...the young Alain de Cournvaille is the puppet of his mother. She is the local court spymaster and use this to break the vassalage with Britannia and raise Gallia Lugdunensis at an higher prestige appointing the title of Duke of Britanny to her son.

Gallia_Lugdunensis_Britanny_1069.jpg

Iulius decide for an appeasement policy, the treasury is used to raise their loyalty to an acceptable level ( over 60%).....

Send_Gifts_400Gold_1069.jpg

....the reconquest of the remaining rebel provinces in Sicily is temporary halted, while the Emperor deal with the revolt in Theodosiopolis(started in 30-9-1067) to show how energic he can be.

Theodopolis_Revolt_1069.jpg

This is the result of the old saying, problems come in threes......
(Rebeliouss area in red, except for Britanny, in black the secessionist sicilian rebels)

RomanEmpireadministrativesubdivi-1.jpg

Ever get the feeling of deja vu?

I like not this news! Bring me some other! :mad:

It looks as though keeping together an Empire of this size is going to present problems. For one, you could easily have a situation where trouble springs up in too many places at once to deal with.

stnylan Hope you will propose/anticipate me some positive "deja vu" ! ;)

VILenin Your words could be the words of a Roman Emperor of the time, or one of his advisors. :rofl: It's so true! but it's WAD from the mod

So the Empire is strained on many fronts. This would be just the time for someone to fall ill or perhaps go crazy, just to add an additional spice to the already challenging situation

byza.jpg

History
February 26 1069 - September 11 1070*

A Strained Empire?
Part 1 of 3

Only History, only who will pass through those days will see the light of good news for the Roman Empire....

February 27 1069
The Byzantine Faction inside the imperial court find an ally when Nikeophoros makes a speech for more autonomy inside the Roman Empire:
"I have an obligation to know the feelings, concerns and preoccupations of my subordinates," he said. "It is their express wish that I transmit them to the top authorities and to make them public....We demand greater autonomy".

The treasure is empty but Iulius decide to bribe those subordinates
(Iulius:"Oh how much I wish to hang them" :mad: )
going in more debts.
1069-2-27.jpg

May 28 1069
"For once I can decline to get involved"
[will the AI be able to deal with that?]
1069-5-28.jpg

July 22 1069
Iulius: "Men, I forgot he have claims on those lands, he got angry, he got rebeliouss. that lazy, fat....*****.....ok I have other plans, I will grant him Agrigento to have him happier and keep Palermo with its fortification and roman population for me"
1069-7-22.jpg

July 29 1069
Iulius:"Guess my plan! That Hungary is getting quite big and dangerous, I'm going to put them on the 'rogue dynasty' list and deal with them as soon as those poor Pechenegs will be under my 'protection'....."
1069-7-29.jpg

August 14 1069
Again a loyalty drop of the Eastern Roman Empire Governor, again money is used to bribe him but.... days after....we are broke and can no longer afford to maintain our fortifications in Theodosiopolis, so we scrap the Hill Fort, and by magic [BUG] a Small Fort is finished days after!

1069-8-20
It's time for the Emperor Iulius to show on the battlefield so, while the Ravenna Army(1000 men strong) patrol the Siracusa border pending an invasion, he sails via Brindisi against the Pechenegs (and indirectly to deter any rebellion attempt in the East, delegates are sent in Asia Minor, Byzantium, Aegyptus and Syria)
1069-8-20.jpg

What fate is written for those who leave the safe shore for the sea that may bring storm?

Tempest.jpg

*In humble Memory: SEPTEMBER 11, 2001
memory2.gif
50star-animated.gif

Last edited:
Is a split in the offing?

Stnylan, it is in the "possible/probable" field,but there isn't and it is not possible to mod an event like that (for what I know).

So if conditions will arise (or are arised since this is a update "splitted" in 3 ;) ) I will mod the save file.

:D I would welcome any advice of gameplay (I'm roleplaying) because I'm finding quite uneasy to hold together the Roman Empire, I played as Count, Duke and King but beeing the Roman Emperor is harder than beeing the byzantine emperor.

Wasn't it to expect though that the Roman Empire is harder to control than the Byzantine?

It certainly sounds realistic though. Rebels everywhere, vassals trying to overcome you, enemies everywhere and so on. Basically as I imagined the Roman Empire of this time to be.