• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Dutch Empire Strikes Back
Part III

With the Zulus brought to the civilized world, the road to Africa lay open. Neither the King nor the advisor were interested in this road. Although leaving this road open could, and most likely would, cause trouble later. The King now looking at the possesions recently gained, was pleased by the way things were going. However the British still posed a threat, not only to the Dutch, but also to the Boers. The Boers, closely related to the Dutch, were not able to defend themselves properly against the Brits.

The King feared that the advisor would act on his own behalf and would go through with this mission, even without permission from the King. Unfortunately his son, and heir to the throne, Willem IV, was just 15 years old and not able to take the throne yet. Knowing that the advisor had support from both the military and the population, it wasn’t so easy to remove him from his posistion, which was becoming more as just an advisor.

In January 1855 the advisor was about to set sail for Africa, when the King summoned him to the court. The King wanted to know what the Dutch Army was going to do in case of British troops violating the borders of the Boer states. “Unfortunately,” the advisor said,”I’m not convinced that the 4 divisions stationed in South Africa can possibly do something to protect them. That’s why I urge you to bring them under direct control.” The King, afraid for this answer, finally gave the advisor permission to do whatever he thought was necessary. Although Willem III knew that either his days, or his advisors days were numbered, he didn’t want to see the Dutch Royal family being overthrown. Unfortunately his son wasn’t capable of ruling a country, let a lone rebuilding a long gone empire.

February 12, 1855. The advisor arrived by ship in Zululand, here he inspected the current defensive forces. Soon he would lead them into Boer territory. But it had to wait untill the cavalry came, 9 days later Dutch troops crossed the Dutch-Oranje Vrijstaat border. Enemy troops were quickly defeated and the cavalry was ordered to continue the advance onto Bloemfontein. The Boers of Oranje Vrijstaat put up o ferocious fight, but weren’t able to prevent Dutch forces to be victorious.

Orania.jpg

Annexation of Oranje

Afrikaner_Commandos.JPG

Boer commandos

In South Africa, the Dutch troops still fresh from the last war, marched into Transvaal in December 1857. They were even less capable of stopping the Dutch advance, and in the end of March Transvaal was reduced to Pretoria and disgraced in the eyes of the world.

SA_Boer_wars.jpg

South Africa after the two Boer Wars

When the advisor returned to Amsterdam, he was hailed as a hero by the Dutch population, very few had even the slightest idea that the tensions between the King and the advisor were growing. The King, seeming pleased with the additional territories, called his advisor to him. He had an announcement to make.

The conquest of Oranje Vrijstaat and parts of Transvaal has a big advantage for the Dutch, two provinces (Bloemfontein and Pretoria) have Dutch as primary culture and we all know what that means.

And I doubt that Spuzzter will do the same this time :p

On a more serious note though, tomorrow I'll go on holiday and unfortunately I won't be able to play Victoria then. But don't worry, I already played till 1880 and written a 2 updates, so it is possible for me to update while being away.

Wannabe Tatar said:
On a more serious note though, tomorrow I'll go on holiday and unfortunately I won't be able to play Victoria then. But don't worry, I already played till 1880 and written a 2 updates, so it is possible for me to update while being away.
You're a champ! :D

Have fun on ur holiday

I see - invade them in order to protect them. Right. ;)

The Afrikaners are reunited with their Dutch cousins!

Have a nice holiday.

Wannabe Tatar said:
The conquest of Oranje Vrijstaat and parts of Transvaal has a big advantage for the Dutch, two provinces (Bloemfontein and Pretoria) have Dutch as primary culture and we all know what that means.

I did not realize that, way to capitalize...

Thank you all! I'll see how often I've a chance to update this AAR (btw part 6 is ready now too) and I'll start playing again as soon as I come back, which is in mid August.

getting more and more powerful...

I'm guessing the advisor will have a heart attack or something... I mean... he's lived through the death of one king... the death of another king... and now this third king who has a son that's 15 years old... HOW OLD IS THIS ADVISOR!? either that or how old was the first king? :confused:

joebthegreat said:
getting more and more powerful...

I'm guessing the advisor will have a heart attack or something... I mean... he's lived through the death of one king... the death of another king... and now this third king who has a son that's 15 years old... HOW OLD IS THIS ADVISOR!? either that or how old was the first king? :confused:

The advisior doesn't necessarily be that old. It's just 20 years from the game start. So that isn't really that weird. And the first King ruled till 1848, followed by his son, who didn't rule for more as 10 years, IIRC.

Anyway, update is following soon.

Part IV

Although the meeting was held privately between the King and his advisor rumors started to circulate now about the future of the Kingdom. One rumor, which was particularly strong, said that the King would abdicate and give full power to his advisor. Other rumors had it that the King would abdicate in favor of his son, or that perhaps even he would give up the throne, and let the Netherlands become a democracy. Soon however it would be clear what his decision was.

On the 1st of January, 1860. King Willem III abdicated in favor of his eldest son Willem, from now on know as Willem IV. The next day, the newly coronated King called the advisor to him.
“Yes, your majesty?” extremely nervous said by the advisor.
“I know you’ve done much good for the country, however, my father didn’t have full faith in you, and neither do I. Unfortunately for me, it seems you seem to enjoy support from the population. Now I’ve the same goal as you, regaining our lost empire. There is just one easy target left: Brazil. I order you to make preperations for an invasion of Brazil.”
“Yes, your majesty!”
“Now one more thing, depending on the results of the war, this could well be your last task while serving the royal family.”
“Yes, your majesty.”

Kroonprins_Willem.jpg

Willem IV

When the Dutch finally discovered field fortifications in 1861 2 division with engineer brigades were ordered to defend Suriname. Around the same time Dutch naval architects discovered a new ship type called commerce raiders, of which 3 were ordered.

Looking at the strenghts of the Dutch Army and navy the advisor discovered a very severe weakness. The Dutch Navy wasn’t capable of transporting troops quickly from Asia/Africa and Holland to South America. With just 8 steamers left, he ordered the construction of 2 troop ships. However this was still not enough and an additional 2 were ordered.

0C70246.jpg

Dutch commerce raider ready for action

On August 6, 1862, the war against Brazil started. 4 divisions launched an amphibious assault on Recife and Paraiba, while 2 cavalry divisions left for Rio de Janeiro. A short naval battle between the Dutch Navy and the almost non existant Brazilian navy ended in a decisive Dutch victory with 3 Brazilian frigates sunk and no Dutch losses. After initial gains in Recife, Paraiba, Natal and Maceio Dutch forces were starting to get pushed back. With the Brazilian capital in Dutch hands, the advisor still managed to gain a favourable peace in which Brazil seceded Recife and Paraiba. Shortly after the war, 4 divisions of which 2 had engineer brigades and 2 guard brigades where trained to hold the recently acquired provinces.

Recife-Antigo00608.jpg

Recife in Dutch Hands

Willem IV was not at all pleased with the advisor. The Kings goals were to acquire Natal and Maceio in addition to the already annexed areas of Recife and Paraiba. To him it appeared that the advisor didn’t make enough preperation to make this a real possibility
The Royal Guards were ordered to bring the advisor to the Royal Palace in Amsterdam, were the King would finally releave the advisor of his tasks. Willem IV approached the advisor. ‘Unfortunately, I’ve some bad news for you. Your recent actions against Brazil didn’t impress me at all. For this reason you’re releaved from your duties as advisor. This is not all, due to your actions against the Boers, our South African brothers! despite wishes from the King and the population you still waged war against them. For this reason I find you guilty of treason, you betrayed the King, the country and the Dutch population. The normal punishment for treason is death, but you’re not a normal person. Due to your earlier achievements, I decided to spare your life, however you’re to leave the Netherlands and never to return again. Guards, put him on a ship. And you, advisor, if you’ll ever be seen in the Netherlands again, whether this be in Amsterdam, Zululand or Batavia, I’ll have you excecuted.’
The guards took him to the harbor and put the advisor on board of a small sloop. The advisor set sail and left the harbor of Amsterdam, but he would return he was sure of that.

Economicly the Netherlands progressed slowly. The entire Dutch railway network was upgraded to early railroads. On 17 September 1864 another scientist defected to our country, bringing with him the knowledge of Steam Turbines.

Transvaal, now surrounded by the Dutch, was still independent, but Willem IV was about to change that. After their initial defeat Transvaal never recovered again and was an easy prey. But the King had big plans for South Africa. Shortly after the annexation of Transvaal he ordered a steel factory to be constructed there. With a shortage of steel and steamers on the world market, it was best for the Netherlands to have its own supply of those goods. And with this reasoning he ordered a steamer shipyard to be constructed in Rotterdam.

When those factories were completed, Hollands economy boomed, however they lacked a steady supply of steel for their steamer factory. Willem IV had a cunning plan to build a second industrial heart in South Africa. The King, initial afraid that the British would easily take it, decided that the Royal Dutch Army would be ready to defend the Dutch holdings in South Africa and ordered an expansion of the Steel factory aswell as new railways to be constructed in South Africa, after this was done, the Dutch State had a debt of 20,000 pounds.

Meanwhile a war was raging on the other side of the Dutch Border. Prussia was fighting the Franco-Prussian war, but for some weird reason Belgium got involved in the conflict. The King kept an eye on the progress there, since he knew he could use Prussia/Germany and France as allies against the UK. Unfortunately both the French and the Prussians didn’t really develop their armies and navies. Which other possible Great Powers could be used in the future war? Russia was a decent possibility, despite having lost parts of Alaska, Finland, the Baltic and the Far East to Britain and having a military not even twice the size of the Dutch, it did however posses a border with the UK. The USA could serve as a distraction, but it could have some serious drawbacks if the US was actually winning there.

Military_overview1870.jpg

Military statistics of 1871

naval_overview.jpg

Naval Statistics of 1871
This statistics caused some consern in the eyes of the King, since none of the other Great Powers, besides Britain, had actually builded a decent army to pose a threat to the Britsh. With the British having clear naval supriority any future wars against the British had to be fought on land, and even then, chances looked slim that the Dutch could prevail.

The pics aren't showing up :mad:

Oh well... this is still good, I just wish there were pictures...

EDIT: Wow... now they're showing up...

An interesting stratagey might be to try and form an alliance with China. They would suck up all the British units

Quirinus308 said:
An interesting stratagey might be to try and form an alliance with China. They would suck up all the British units
China has a very poor army, irregulars. I would say France or Germany would be nice, but that depends on the years to come. Interesting to see what lies ahead

I would say France as an ally, but they seem to like getting in the Netherlands' way. And they're French... so that's not good...

Prussia/Germany is always a good ally...

Or you could get really good relations with the British and trade them...

but that isn't fun now is it... WAR!!!

I already figured out that I need more as one ally to fight the Brits. Both France and Russia are prime targets for my alliance. The French can fight the British forces in Africa and they have a decent navy.The Russians are weak, so the only purpose they have is to be overrun in Central Asia and then I can take over India :D Probably I'll need Germany and/or the USA too.

Part V

In1871 the status of Holland was uncertain, it was a great power, had a decent military, a good industrial base and a decent amount of prestige. But they lacked naval technology to beat the UK. First the King had to repay its debt it gained industrializing South Africa.

Mean while the King had ordered his ambassadors to improve the relations with France, Russia and Germany. In February the so-called Sale of Luxemburg took place. In exchange of 2 technologies, the Netherlands would hand over Luxemburg to Germany, it was possible to gain 5 techs, but that would hamper future research too much.

Luxemburg.jpg

Sale of Luxemburg

Meanwhile the colonization of Indonesia restarted by building the final claim. The king personally saw the completion of the mission in November 1875. As soon as the Netherlands laid claims on Borneo, one of the biggest fears would become reality.

Brunei.jpg

British Forces in Brunei

A British expeditionary force was conquering Brunei! Now the Dutch had another front to fight the Brits against.

To prepare for a future war against Britain, the King ordered the Dutch Royal Navy Shipyard to construct 5 new ironclads. Willem IV knew that this would hardly cause any damage to the British Navy, but it might be sufficient to delay a possible invasion of Indonesia.

schorpioenmpl5741.jpg

Dutch Ironclad the Schorpioen”

Looking over the naval statistics of Britain, Germany and France in late 1877, the King started to get really nervous. Both the British and Germans had so called cruisers! Due to recent diplomatic the Dutch were convinced that they would be able to gain the necessary technology to build cruisers from the Germans. The King himself, in full naval uniform, met the Kaiser. Unfortunately it wasn’t as easy as the Dutch had hoped. The Dutch had to give the Germans Organic Chemistry in exchange for the Steel Steamers technology.

Meanwhile the ambassadors attempted to restore relations with France, Russia and Germany. In February 1878, relations were restored to +180 with France. Germany was a bit tougher to convince of the intentions of the Dutch, and relations stuck at +80. But the Russians were to eager to have a powerfull ally and offered an alliance to us, which we gladly accepted.

Russia.jpg

The Russians offer us an alliance

The King wasn’t too sure about this alliance, since it appeared that the Netherlands had a combined army and navy which was almost as big as the entire Russian Armed forces. However, the Russians had several border regions with Britain and could distract the British long enough for the Dutch to capture their old Indian colonies.

Slowly iron railroads were build in Holland. But when the last of the ironclads was finished all construction on railroads was abonded and all effort now went to constructing 2 new cruisers.

gelderland.jpg

Dutch cruiser “Gelderland”

And where is that mysterious advisor in all this?

The Dutch seem to be doing ok without him, but for how long?