• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think that we'll indeed have to wait for Vicky 2, with its hopefully awesomely revamped resource system, to make having armies require resources not be a headache...

King said:
Military units do not consume resources, you can bet if that had been planned for the expansion you would of heard about it by now.
So you can still win WW1 by producing Luxury Clothes instead of Ammo ,Guns and Artillery?
Dont get me wrong Victoria is a great game and i can live with that but without a reasonable war managment it is far from perfect.
infact i can win a great war without producing Arms....realy that makes no sense for me
Well i will buy the Expansion with or without that but.....hey i want a perfect game ;)

Thanks for the confirmation.

I still like the idea of not having to compete on even terms with a unindustrailized country.
right now, when guns become ample on the world market... the country with the most population wins :)
Especially now when RGO production can be much more profitable.
i took almost the whole world with denmark (only half of south america and the ottomans missing)... and i had only low end factorys...
the non-state inhibit to promote pops to soldiers will of course help on such ahistoric behavior.( all military units where not of my state culture, gave a horrible unit defects message flood, but i had 600+divs nontheless...)

But even though we wont get any guns that fire ammunition, i still very very much hope that we get some user defined factorys and resources. :rolleyes:

Still looking forward to the other features on revolutions :)

Edit: Beaten by graf zeppelin on same thought :)

TheFlemishDuck said:
Well i repect youre oppinion, and others.I guess Lennartos and i only represent a certain segment of the Vicky fanbase that would rather have such feature's implemented.That said Johan has da powa stick and we won't get it,... , for now.Atleast though consider it as a logical possibilety for an additional feature for a later installement of Vicky, like Vicky2 ,as certain people will find this a quite logical and realistic feature for a strategy game of this scale.

Hmm, on the one hand people with yor view have something of a point for realism and making a more logical way of running things.

But, in addition to what OHgamer says, I'd add that Victoria has been around too long with certain features being what they are to change them so radically. I've been playing Vic for nearly 2 years and I'd rather not now have a drastic change like HoI style stockpile of supplies implemented.

It might also have the effect of making the game harder than necessary.

Well, gawrsh! I just like the idea of what's been done so far and the price it's being done at. Uh-huh! :wacko: :p

Aircraft solves a major complaint alot of people had with the MDS that planes could not be simultated. But now they can! *dances

Oh my, my hands are sweating.

I wonder if fascist governments get cheaper armies, maybe even effect Soldier POP growth?

I wonder if some country's will start to show unusual new tendencies, a repeatedly fascist China for instance, because it keeps getting beaten up and land stolen, or a repeatedly Communist Britain... I think I'd like that actually, I'm of the Ahistoric persuasion.;)

Do you think the new military/POP restrictions will make it harder for a nation like Switzerland or Hawai or the Piritani Republic to achieve World Conquest/Pre-eminence?

A middle ground approach to the ammunition issue could be to simply increase proportionally the miltary maintainence cost when amount of ammo is less than the need for ammo. You wouldn't need to worry about buying ammo yourself, but the purchase or production of ammo would be handled abstractly. Nations without ammunition factories would have their costs skyrocket when ammo is scarce, hopefully (and probably) making it easier for more well-prepared nations to conduct the war effort more smoothly.

In fact, is world conquest possible at all now, if you're anyone but the USA or Russia? There are few countries with the national-populations AND the industrial power early enough to enter the constant war of a wc.

I certainly would appreciate it being harder for an rank-outsider nation to rise up an kick ass world-wide, but not impossible.

just use no time limit mod and take ur time.

If it's no longer possible to make a tiny nation big or even huge by the end of the game, it means Victoria is now a very different game indeed. The only way it may still be possible, would be if you're a tiny nation but with a vast national population, Liberia for instance, with African Minor spread across much of Africa. Liberia's not likely to be able to colonize though, especially with the new colonization restrictions (restrictions which I apporve of by the way). Actually the German minors probably are still in with a good chance too, thank frock for the Germlets eh.

I think Revolutions will now see the usual suspects as the great powers in every game now, perhaps countries like Japan still have the ability to play in the big leagues but, much fewer nations will be contenders now. I'm looking forward to reading the first (non-fanfic) AAR that tries to achieve wc or global preeminance in Revolutions with somewhere like Uruguay, Haiti, Tibet or Greece. I may even write up an attempt of it myself.

So nobody has anything to say about this?:confused: Surely I'm not the only one that likes to take a small outsider and make it dothe bestraddle the world like a Collosus? Am I...

Didn't anybody else get a kick out of the AARs of Primus Inter Pa and Falconhurst and Memnon! What about all those feedback comments, all that stuff about how cool it was that Tibet or Egypt or Switzerland got taken and made into the Super-Mega-Fuktons Power of the game, isn't anyone worried this won't be possible anymore :confused:

I think it will still be possible to be honest to pwned the world with Tunisia for instance, but am I the only one wondering? Come to think of it, maybe most people think tiny nobody nations should never have been able to become superpowers, there were some who feel it should never have been possible for Tibet to playfully crush France out of boredom, this opinion seems to be held mostly by posters of the Historical persuasion, but there are some who think there must be some loophole in the game because small unciv nation to superpower for instance is "totally unrealistic" or something. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hm the problem is when you can do a WC with Tibet its pointless to start with a Greatpower.I prefer difficult games with Prussia,France or Austria for example.

If it's no longer possible to make a tiny nation big or even huge by the end of the game, it means Victoria is now a very different game indeed./
Where does it say Revolutions is going to make small countries weaker? Or that WC are made impossible for the small ones?

I do like the WC AARS I've read, so I wouldn't be happy if WC is made impossible. But as far as I see, is that the masters of the game can pull no matter how difficult the game becomes.

I'm against artificial barriers that prevent WC, but it should be difficult. After all, it's a major divergence from history, so it must not happen in the normal course of the game. Of course, WCs, like all ahistorial things, should be possible. Otherwise the game would be very dull.

knul said:
If it's no longer possible to make a tiny nation big or even huge by the end of the game, it means Victoria is now a very different game indeed./
Where does it say Revolutions is going to make small countries weaker? Or that WC are made impossible for the small ones?

I do like the WC AARS I've read, so I wouldn't be happy if WC is made impossible. But as far as I see, is that the masters of the game can pull no matter how difficult the game becomes.

I'm against artificial barriers that prevent WC, but it should be difficult. After all, it's a major divergence from history, so it must not happen in the normal course of the game. Of course, WCs, like all ahistorial things, should be possible. Otherwise the game would be very dull.

No argument from me that it should be difficult, I just really hope that it's still possible.

Great update. However, I was wondering about one thing: Will the army/reserves ratio be a constant thing apart from tech level and country specifics like politics, or will it be different for different countries with different technologies and different policies, and will the exact ratio be moddable by us? :)

Graf Zeppelin said:
Hm the problem is when you can do a WC with Tibet its pointless to start with a Greatpower.I prefer difficult games with Prussia,France or Austria for example.

I don't think it's pointless, Japan, Prussia and Russia are still my favourites to play, I think it's a different sort of game when you play as a Great Power or nation that isn't so far from becoming one, it's just that taking a minor to the top should still be thrillingly possible, not easy at all- but possible, especially if you're willing to play a certain way.