• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MAC

Colonel
72 Badges
Feb 25, 2003
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Impire
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
titel6tf.jpg

Finally the Historical Stony Road - MOD is also released for DD (v2.08).
I guessed it would be a good idea to write an AAR here to give players who did not take a look at this mod yet some insight whats it all about and if they might want to try it out themselves. Unfortunately my skills as AAR writer are limited as I am no native english speaker and am therefore focusing more on the picture + short description approach. Still I might manage to drop in a few fictional events when something important happens, but dont expect them to be as well written as some of the excellent AARs around here.

The Historical Stony Road Mod
I am not related to this mod, but really appreciate the hard work the development team is putting into it to make it a completely different gaming experience. The users and developers are usually more frequent found in the forums of their website www.stonyroad.de (where you can download the mod but need to be a registered user) then in the forums here what leads to the mod being not as well known like he IMHO deserves. But whats it all about?

dec152000 posted a pretty good summary on the stony road forum:
The point to the mod is to increase the historical realism of the GAME into something more like a WW2 SIMULATION. All of our efforts focus in this direction. Generally, we do this by changing the game system, units and technologies to provide more realistic combat results. We also have a large number of events designed to provide a more interesting and historical feel to the game. We have also done a large amount of work tweaking the AI to provide a more realistic challenge. If you are interested in playing a fairly "historical" WW2 campaign HSR2 provides a great platform.
In HSR you will have to choose two difficulty levels. First the one of HOI2 itself and in the game you choose your HSR level. You should select the same levels.

HSR also has some house rules that should prevent exploiting:

houserule5yy.jpg

Also it's always a good idea to have 10000+ supplies since many beneficial events fire only with a sufficient supply stock...

Additionally I wont reload besides game crashes or other weird stuff happening since the historical generals had no second chance either and will try to avoid gamey playing but instead play the "what would have I done?" way mixing historical needs with personal preferences...

This campaign will be played Hard - Hard - Agressive - if you are really looking for a challenge you might want to try out the Gröfaz difficulty :p

Welcome to the Historical Stony Road to War

ger3601021vz.th.jpg

Enlarge

The Team

ger3601042hq.th.jpg

Enlarge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early 1936

The economical crisis of the 1930's had caused a lot of unemployment.

ger36010124xn.th.jpg

Enlarge

This fact had favored the change of gouvernment, but now was the time to please the masses. Therefore a huge buildup program had been started to achieve lower unemployment rates by improving Industry and Infrastructure.

ger36010319pu.th.jpg

Enlarge

This strategy was also strengthened by appointing Franz Gürtner as Minister of Interior ( -5% CG Demand ) and Fritz Thyssen as Industry Minister ( IC +5% / Ind.Res. + 10% ).

ger36010117ly.th.jpg

Enlarge

Researching new technologies would also focus to some degree on industrial technologies.

ger36010124xn.th.jpg

Enlarge

The combination of strengthening the economy and also strengthening the position of Germany in the world would also be useable by propaganda to please the masses. (Interventionism +1)

The Kriegsmarine was well known for their excellent vessels but using modern technology also had some flaws...

ger36010324gd.th.jpg

Enlarge

German troops were preparing to seize the demilitarized Rhineland, but how would France and the UK react?

ger36010338pk.th.jpg

Enlarge

1936 also saw some reforms concerning Divisional formations:

ger36010340fy.th.jpg

Enlarge

All over the world engineers worked hard on improving aircraft design, in Germany the Bf. 109 was developed...

ger3601056yk.th.jpg

Enlarge

Last edited:
Early 1936 - continued

When Germany finally seized the Rheinland France and the UK were just sending Formal Protest, this weak reaction would favor more ambitious German diplomatic undertakings.

ger3601060it.th.jpg

Enlarge

Improving and expanding the Kriegsmarine would boost the self confidence and the diplomatic strength of Germany, employ a lot of men and was of good use to propaganda - therefore this project was considered very useful.

ger3601103uj.th.jpg

Enlarge

But the other major nations also invested heavily in a modern Navy.

ger3601114zk.th.jpg

Enlarge

Even though main focus was on surface fleet buildup submarines would not be ignored.

ger3601131ex.th.jpg

Enlarge

The hordes of the SA and their actions were feared by the public. This terror had helped to establish the power of the actual gouvernment, but once feeling safe a struggle for power began behind the scenes:

ger3602027ci.th.jpg

Enlarge

"Die Nacht der langen Messer" was a turning point and from now on especially the SS was on its rise. It would not be the last intrigue Germany had to face in the upcoming years and the actions of Hitler, Himmler, Göring and Stalin should be a warning for us all what men is capable in his strive to absoloute power and how the truth and the media can be manipulated even today.

ger3602034vd.th.jpg

Enlarge
Historical Informations

The 1936 Summer Olympics were a perfect platform for propaganda and improving the reputation of Germany...

ger3602102uf.th.jpg

Enlarge
Historical Informations

...and especially relations with Italy began to improve.
ger3603211ht.th.jpg

Enlarge

Last edited:
@Casluerj
Thanks! Hopefully we will see some more AAR's since Japan, Italy and the SU are for sure also a challenge.

@DirtyCommiePuke
Thanks! This is my first game using DD and I am really eager to see what difficulty the probably improved DD AI and HSR will provide when you try not to abuse them including no reloading.

@armocore
you should - there are additional historical events for almost every nation ;)
And even playing a german GC is feeling different, adding some serious replay value if you are already a bit bored of vanilla. And if vanilla is too easy for you simply try winning a "gröfaz" game - ouch! :D

Great to see an AAR with the Stony Road. I've been watching this mod, but didn't install because I had no idea what it really was. Hopefully this AAR will provide some more insights.

MAC said:
@Casluerj
Thanks! Hopefully we will see some more AAR's since Japan, Italy and the SU are for sure also a challenge.

@DirtyCommiePuke
Thanks! This is my first game using DD and I am really eager to see what difficulty the probably improved DD AI and HSR will provide when you try not to abuse them including no reloading.

@armocore
you should - there are additional historical events for almost every nation ;)
And even playing a german GC is feeling different, adding some serious replay value if you are already a bit bored of vanilla. And if vanilla is too easy for you simply try winning a "gröfaz" game - ouch! :D

hey MAC.

i already know these mod, but not to Doomsday, ok ?

@armocore
That's great - so you already know what awaits you ;)
What country do you plan to play?

@lifeless
Thanks! I might need it. Did not play in a while and got for sure "rusty" - wondering how the AI will do :p

@Thistletooth
As far as I get it reading the stony forum feedback is pretty good so far even if there might be some tweaking issues.

@Draigh
Great, that's why I started my AAR. Playing a MOD adds so much replay value but every MOD has its flavour and focus. Hope this and other MOD-AARs can give you a preview whats it like so you can decide which MOD you give a chance.

@Blackoberst
Thanks! I will do my best ;)

Very interesting, an HSR game...

Lookin' real nice.

Wow, interesting. Looking forwards to a new update.

Mid and late 1936

As first Battleship the Bismarck was ordered.

Germany prepared the Anschluss of Austria via clever diplomatically moves.

Historical Informations

The world was shocked when civil war erupted in Spain, and the different ideologies clashed together. The major democracies did favour the Nationalists and supported them indirectly. Italy, Germany and the SU sought to increase their influence even though many argue that the SU just took it as an opportunity to sell old weapons in return for the huge spanish gold reserves because Stalin knew a communist Spain would never be tolerated by the Allies.

Historical Informations

To make sure NSp would win - making the game continue historically - I set up a massive supply and ressource shipment as well as editing the savegame, increasing RSp dissent.

The Olympic games were a huge prestigeous success for Germany which meanwhile sent the Legion Condor to Spain.

Even though the Nazi gouvernment had some support from industry leaders they began controling the economy over time.

Meanwhile also the Tirpitz...

...and the Graf Zeppelin as well as a CVL were comissioned.

@armocore
Yes, I am really curious how hard the "hard" game will be.
I intended to play on gröfaz difficulty, but the penalties are simply too harsh for me since i am not a crack player. So I rather go the hard way in combination with limiting myself to no reloads and trying to avoid gamey, unrealistic moves.
What difficulty will you probably play?

@anonymous4401 & Sir Humphrey
Thanks ;)

@Edzako
In Gröfaz I would have probably a hard time getting thru the french defenses, but on hard difficulty I hope to achieve historical progress and the showdown will probably be on russian soil.

@Singleton Mosby
There you go ;)