• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow, now that is rigid! Events for ship construction... :wacko:

anonymous4401 said:
Wow, now that is rigid! Events for ship construction... :wacko:

Yeah, why is that...? As a reminder of the historical start of the contruction time?

MAC said:
@armocore
Yes, I am really curious how hard the "hard" game will be.
I intended to play on gröfaz difficulty, but the penalties are simply too harsh for me since i am not a crack player. So I rather go the hard way in combination with limiting myself to no reloads and trying to avoid gamey, unrealistic moves.
What difficulty will you probably play?

i start with gröfaz too, but we cant play and win anything on that level, hehe. so i go with hard too.

i'm at 1938, will post soon a few screenshots.

keep going with the great work that you are doing.

For the moment, you did not mention your production queue.
We understand that you agreed with naval events but how is dispatched remaining IC?

Will you focus on anvy for an early sealion? will you go for ground army?

@anonymous4401 & Singleton Mosby
Well, those events seem more like eyecandy if I get it right. You decide which way you are going naval wise way earlier and I take the ship building events indeed more like a friendly reminder since the costs also seem almost the same (8.0 instead of 8.2 IC for Graf Zeppelin f.e.). As you can see you can refuse to build them if you like and build them later or not at all.

@Draculin
me too, me too :rofl:

@armocore
Hehe, I guessed it - maybe someone who is a bit more experienced or crazy could do an Gröfaz AAR :p
Looking forward to see what's happening in your game.

@alan_le_cowboy
Well, since the 4 factories I am allowed to build by the house rules just finished it is just Navy and Infrastructure (even though I can upgrade some more Industry in Austria, Czech and Polish provinces later in the game). I am trying to make kind of RP out of it not seeing it as a game but as alternate history. Therefore things that do not matter in game terms are still neccessary or a good thing and things that might be possible in the game are still a big nono since they would not have been possible or reasonable in RL. I know this limitation will hamper my effectiveness and I might loose that way...

As Germany did historically building massive infrastructure is a employment-creation measure to please the masses and to improve the reputation of the gouvernment.

Since I won't reload any Ships and men lost to a screwed up Sealion would really hurt (transports are more expensive in HSR). I don't know how well the AI will guard the channel and will have to be somewhat careful. I plan to build some naval bombers (reasonable number) to support a possible Sealion. Paratroopers are a must, but expensive in HSR as well as transport planes (5400 ICdays) so I am not sure if an early Sealion is doable. Also I expect the HSR team has set up some events to make Sealion tougher compared to vanilla.

Invading Poland requires a solid defense in the west. I will have to build up a reasonable groundarmy to achieve victory.

I will post screenshots of my production and techs with the next update.

Carriers

I have started a GER game and I am looking forward to seeing how GER carriers do with the HSR negative modifiers to GER CVs.

Also, man money is tight!

Money is indeed a problem at the start, but I managed to set up a lot of trades for it. First with the minor countries with good relations (never more then 50% of their money surplus, though). The US seems to run into supply shortage after some months and you get better deals for supplies - just cancel the old expensive deals.

This is my first DD game ( just bought it to play the new HSR DD :p ) and so I am not that experienced when it comes to intelligence. So far my plan is to save money and do some massive blueprint stealing when the allies have researched some interesting stuff while having the maximum number of counter-spies in Germany. So far only two or three spies have been placed successfully in Germany and I wonder if a investment in counter spying would pay out since I usually only stumble upon minor spies doing so.

Early 1937

Research was focused on Industry without neglecting the other research areas, though.

Supply level was sufficient and the production of supplies was reduced to boost the infrastructure production. The idea of rocketry would have to be reseached more closely and therefore a rocket test site would soon be ordered to be built in Stralsund.

When the Anti-Comintern Pact was signed the fundament for an Axis alliance was created.

Historical Informations

The explosion of the Hindenburg was a tragedy.

Historical Informations

Meanwhile many military books and studies were published and the adoption of those strategies was one reason for the initial german success.

Upgrading the infrastructure did not only lower the unemployment rate but would as a sideffect also be valuable in case of an armed conflict.

Late 1937

Germany was indeed lucky when a leading foreign scientist could be bribed to work for Germany.

Note: Many technologies who seem quite useless in vanilla are pretty valuable in HSR due to additional boosts for the economy - especially agriculture and oil refining.

Erwin Rommel published a book mainly concerning infantry tactics in 1937 which later helped to persuade Adolf Hitler to give Rommel high command, although he was not from an old military family.

Dönitz worked a lot to improve the german submarine fleet.

In the late 1930's the worldwide economical situation finally began to improve despite of the war in China in which Japan advanced steadily.

Germany and Yugoslavia maintained friendly relations and so weapon deals could be concluded.

Erich von Manstein proposed the idea of self propelled artillery, a concept that would be very useful in a possible military confrontation.

"Infantry greift an" - seems like Rommel was quite British-minded already. ;)

Other than that, everything seems fine for the moment. Impressive naval construction too, by the way.

Hehe, yes looks like a typo there.

I try to follow the historical buildup (the additional CVL is out of curiosity since this is my first DD game and I want to check it out) since at that time the value of CVs was underestimated in Germany. Once war breaks out I will play in my personal style.

Meanwhile it's '39 in my game and I am preparing the next update. Japan and NChina perform really well - it seems like a slaughter there and the frontline is going back and forth. Japans advance in the north is halted but they managed to occupy some more territory in the south, but NChina is yet far from loosing.

So far everything went the historical way and military buildup continues even though so far there is no need for war since Germany could successfull press its demands diplomatically.

Research continued through 1938 with main focus on industry techs.

Production was slowly preparing to enlarge Luftwaffe and Heer but intended not to alarm the Allies to keep up the chance for further diplomatic victories.

In March finally the Anschluss of Austria was achieved.

Only a few days later the Spanish Civil War ended.

Germany had won valuable combat experience - especially in air-warfare.

With the Treaty of Munich Germany again managed to successfully press its claims diplomatically.

Historical Informations

The buildup of the military arm of the SS, the Waffen-SS, was started

Historical Informations

Well, looks like things are rolling along just fine.

Yes, I am taking a close look at the performance of Japan and NC, too. Looks like HSR will manage to have a Japanese advance but no annexation which would be a good thing to create historical diversion of Japanese troops.

I am in mid 39 now and indeed everything works out historically so far. Buildup is on its way - will post the next update once war starts.

Early 1939

Research was fully directed to mass production as early as possible.

Main production focus was on Infantry buildup to secure the West in a possible conflict with Poland.

The Autobahn buildup would for sure prove useful.

New infantry weapons technology had been researched.

First Naval recon planes and naval bombers were brought into service.

Using a small group of slovakian patriots to its advantage Germany occupied Czechoslovakia and Slovakia was created.

Historical Informations

Germany profited especially by acquiring czech tank and artillery technology.

Historical Informations

Mid and late 1939

The captured czech tanks were as fast as possible integrated into the Heer.

First idea was to form "light" divisions.

Germany successfully claimed Memel.

Historical Informations

The Allies were garanting Polish borders to stop german expansionism.

Germany was meanwhile hoarding critical ressources which wouldn't be easy to come by with the Allies ruling the seas.

The worldwide economical situation recovered even more from depression.

Germany also had started a modernisation program for the Kriegsmarine. Old destroyers and submarines would be replaced by new ones and sold. Reducing the navy by simply selling without replacemets had been no valid option in times of high unemployment and ambitious Z-Plan.

When the Molotov-Ribbentropp pact was signed Germany was no longer hindered to press its claims on Poland. But due to the guarantee of the Allies Poland was not into compromises. War was the logical consequence.

Historical Informations

Ok, something strange happened. I started using Quickshot for imageshack which takes an ingame screenshot and automatically uploads its to imageshack for this AAR. It also saves a copy on the HD.

As you can see it worked quite well so far, but unfortunately I discovered that it somehow stopped working without me noticing it and did not even save a copy on the HD. This leaves me without screenshots of the polish campaign which I was already about to finish. I decided to replay, but unfortunately the earliest save is Sep 2nd so I have to give an overview regarding forces and such as of this date.
It's also sad because the "Recall of Lufthansa pilots" - event happened which grants you two free airunits of your choice and I am left without the screenshot to show you the description, so I paste the event here.

event = {
id = 40013
country = GER
random = no

trigger = { ai = no
war = { country = ger country = eng }
supplies = 6000
}

name = "Luftwaffe full recall of commercial pilots"
desc = "Lufthansa, the most successful and profitable European airline of the time provided loads of highly qualified personnel to the Luftwaffe. These additions covered from basic administrative and logistic positions to aircraft pilots and the highest Luftwaffe commanding ranks."
style = 0
picture = 40013_Luftwaffe_recall_comercial_pilots #Steffele

date = { day = 1 month = september year = 1936 }
offset = 1
deathdate = { day = 30 month = december year = 1954 }

action_a = {
name = "Recall them"
command = { type = manpowerpool value = -2 }
command = { type = supplies value = -6000 }
command = { type = add_division value = tactical_bomber when = 2 }
command = { type = add_division value = interceptor when = 2 }
command = { type = dissent value = 1 }

}
action_b = {
name = "Recall them"
command = { type = supplies value = -5000 }
command = { type = add_division value = cas when = 0 }
command = { type = add_division value = tactical_bomber when = 2 }
}
action_c = {
name = "Recall them"
command = { type = supplies value = -4000 }
command = { type = add_division value = cas when = 0 }
command = { type = add_division value = interceptor when = 1 }

}
action_d = {
name = "Mantain the commercial air service"
command = { type = dissent value = -1 }

}
}

Anyways the next update finally brings some action, yay!