• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Late 1939 - continued

Viktor Lutze was appointed Minister of Interior to maintain a calm hand in the occupied territories.

Even though the weather did not allow an offense yet the actions in the west were already carefully planned.

Paratroopers were brought into action.

The world was shocked when the SU declared war on Finland. Meanwhile NChina was slowly but steady pushing Japan back.

Eh, I'm not that shocked.

Nice stuff. :)

Early 1940

Development of the Ju87D was ongoing.

With the assembly line technologies being mostly researched focus was shifted on higher Industrial output and Fritz Todt was appointed Industry Minister. Also the choice for a large standing army was made.

Germany agreed to a weapons trade deal with Romania and meanwhile Japan was pushed back in China.

Finally German spying efforts payed out - but unfortunately the informations leaked concerned Strategic Bombers which Germany so far wasn't planning to build.

The modernisation of the Wehrmacht continued.

The Altmark incident would lead to Fall Weserübung - the first major engagement with the Allies.

The "light divisions" were no real success and therefore upgraded to armoured divisions.

Another SS-Unit was brought into service.

@kami888
Yep, doesn't look like it on this screenie since Japan had conquered almost all NChina, but NChina is now on the offense. It's better visible on the new screenshots I just posted.

@Sir Humphrey
Get's even better - Weserübung will be the next update and it looks like the game will indeed be hard. I guess there will be no Sealion with 13 UK carriers chasing the Kriegsmarine. :p

@lifeless
Yes, the AI somewhat likes to bomb me there but my fighters and interceptors do cause heavy losses. Still they manage to slip thru and I have trouble with units who travel alone. The AI indeed bombs them to pieces and I almost lost two divisions that way.

@anonymous4401
Finland is doing well in the winter war so far - they even managed to capture a province :eek:

Stay tuned for the next updates - there is finally some real action and it seems that HSR and the DD AI do well. Fall Gelb will give me some insight how tought the game will be - I hope I will be able to withdraw some elite units from Norway which are needed for a successfull offense. I will also keep a strong defense at the border to the SU since Stalin is noone you would trust.

Last edited:
MAC said:
Get's even better - Weserübung will be the next update and it looks like the game will indeed be hard. I guess there will be no Sealion with 13 UK carriers chasing the Kriegsmarine. :p
Are you able to lure the UK fleet into seazones where your airforce can wittle away on them? Planes in HSR aren't as ridiculously good at sinking ships, but they are still quite potent. Than you can strike with either battleships or subs at night or stormy weather, perhaps?

Also: Sell some of those large stockpiles you have to your friends for supplies! That huge pile of cash you have can provide months of army maintenance!

Have question about the "light divisions".

First (just before Poland) u get the choice 1 light panzer division or 4 "light divisions" right? So u take the 4 "light divisions".
Then afther Poland they are converted into panzers and u get back 26 MP?
The only thing u have to do is get them up to stength? nice didnt know that :D

Nice AAR, the HSR-mod looks very interesting :)

Should have been like me and instead of having an event that changes the light divisions, instead build four regular panzer divisions, then disband the four light ones after Fall Weiss.
joenods8fp.gif

Wait, are they medium armor or light armor divisions, the 6-9 Pz Divisions?

prpnorway.jpg

Operation Weserübung

Operation Weserübung was concipied as combined arms operation, seeing the new airborne divisions in major action first time.

Denmark surrendered without resistance and by the quick and surprising strike critical positions could be secured.

All key positions in Norway were in german hands besides Mo-I-Rana. A quick excursion in full strength could do the job if the RN would not be close. Luftwaffe bombers were brought into positions, and the desperately needed destroyers were ordered back to merge with the Kriegsmarine for a fast excursion before the RN could react. But all the plans were doomed when it showed that the RN had already initiated a invasion. Now the destroyers were trapped and the Kriegsmarine was lacking screens due to the delay of destroyer production waiting for a proper ship assembly line.

But where was the RN? Finally Luftwaffe bombers were able to locate the RN and it showed that the RN had shown up in full strength - 13 carriers were counted and the bombers retreated with heavy losses. Any excursion would probably mean sure defeat. There also had to be another fleet which had brought the landing force in the south, trapping the Destroyers which were ordered to retreat to Bergen to wait for recon.

Finally the invasion fleet was located, but the RN once more was not really protecting its invasion force but rather hunting the german destroyers. Vice Admiral Fanger realized his mistake - but who could have imagined such a move of the RN? Now his only chance was to sneak out at night hoping for the best and the high speed of the destroyers.

But the Destroyers were finally spotted and only a few managed to break thru, two flotillas were lost. To make it worse the Allies had launched Operation Wilfried, occupying Narvik.

Meanwhile reinforcements had been shipped to southern Norway. Now was the time to strike hard and swift since soon the Operations in the West should start.

prpnorway.jpg

Operation Weserübung - continued

After defeating the UK invasion the german forces encircled Oslo and the two fast tank divisions would race to the north trying to catch the enemy unprepared.

At least the airborne operation in Norway was a big success.

fallschirmjaeger.jpg

Meanwhile Finland still held out - they even advanced.

Disappointment was huge when the recon forces reported that Narvik was occupied by allied forces. Now it was neccessary to wait for the slow Mountaineers to arrive.

Disappointment was even bigger when it showed that the attack did not punch thru despite of heavy bombing - the Allies were too well dug in and the terrain was too heavy. Sending more troops and especially paratroopers was neccessary but impossible due to Fall Gelb and so all actions in Norway were frozen and heavy units pulled out.

Looks like Weserubung isn't a walkover!

@LM+
Thanks for the hints. I will probably have to fight a "Airbattle over England" to weaken the RN and the RAF and throw in some submarines. But the huge stacks are hard to hit - I am not sure about the outcome. Also submarines in HSR are quite historically limited to hit n run due to extremely low org.

Actually Germany has still to rely on trades for money, I can't even cover half my research budget. Once the SU and US are at war I probably won't be able to trade a large surplus, still I plan to do some tech stealing which is pretty expensive, that's why I amassed such a huge cash stockpile. I should be able to trade some supplies vs tech with the countries joining the Axis alliance hopefully soon after conquest of France. But you are right and I will also have to take a look at the other ressources, depending on the ressources captured I might even be able to trade other ressources then coal for supplies.

Due to the many useful HSR events which require some supplies I will need lots and lots of them while I am still short on IC to build up huge forces for barbarossa while upgrading and reinforcing the same time.

@Middelkerke
Yes, probably because the tank divisions start at 25% or 35% and you need to invest MP to get them to 100%.

@General Jac
It's fantastic how much this mod improves with every new version. They really try hard to make the game feel historical. The ship losses and the stalemate in Norway I experienced are pretty close to history either. Also they added events for (probably) all countries so even if you don't want to play a major HSR is a good choice. And if you are bored of playing Germany it adds so much replay value since compared to a vanilla campaign there are so many improvements and changes. Even though I am not involved in the mod I am really excited, heck I even waited with purchasing DD till HSR for DD was out because playing vanilla would have been too boring.

@lifeless
They are crazy! I get the provinces in Norway, do some plane rebasing and what do I see? The Slovak airforce is already there :D

I am really wondering what to do once Hungary will be my Ally. I planned to agree to their claims in case that HSR event fires since Slovakia is having like no ressources. And it's better to have one stronger ally then two small ones. But they are making such a good show :rofl:

@anonymous4401
Medium and I love it :D
Yes, I really got frightened seeing the two huge RN fleets.
And the problem is I have to attack in the West so no new troops availiable.
Stay tuned for Fall Gelb :)

wow 13 carriers! i guess the ai is smarter...i guess you will be thankful when japan dow uk so it gets some part of the rn off your back!

So the Royal Oak is still floating? :p