+ Reply to Thread
Page 118 of 233 FirstFirst ... 18 43 68 93 108 116 117 118 119 120 128 143 168 193 218 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 4654

Thread: Best Character Writer of the Week: Tufto

Romanorum Imperator Augustus asd21593's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

Congrats, Doge Robert!
    My AAR Library
    -not writing at the moment-

HoI AnthologyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Rome

I really, really tried to find words that would properly describe what I felt, when I recieved this award. But to be honest, words simply failed me. A month ago, this very same award was given to me by Volksmarschall and I was both awed and humbled to recieve an award for my writing, when my story had barely even begun.

How am I to react then, when a mere month later, my story STILL barely begun (I am at a grand total of roughly 25 pages in Word), I recieve the same award from yet another great writer, whose works I follow with immense joy and pleasure? I honestly do not know any words to adequately describe, the extreme shock, the absolute awe, the complete failure of comprehending that such an honor could be granted me.

I tried to be eloquent in my thanks a month ago, communicating the deep honor I truly felt at recieving the award. But being recogniced by yet another of the great writers and one, whose level of skill I barely even dare hope to one day achieve, now that is not only mindboggling in all senses of the word, it leaves me speechless. Some may claim that I have written quite a bit already, but look more closely: All I have really done, is try to explain what I cannot honestly put into mere words.

I stared at my screen for a full 10 minutes or so, my mind stunned blank, unable to really believe it, when I recieved the message from Atlantic Friend, in my AAR.. I didn't even dare reply, since somehow I was certain it was against the rules, or I was simply dreaming or some other unexplainable factum, which would somehow reverse time and undo what was written before my eyes.

I am deeply and truly grateful for this award. I am humbled and awed by the immense compliment this is and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    My story means very, very much to me and to have it recognized in this way, not once, but twice, leaves me with a feeling that from this point onwards, nothing is truly impossible. These words do not even come close to fully explain the breadth and depth of how I feel, but I am afraid that this is as close I will get with mere letters.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Rob
    HOI2 AARs:

The Third Reich ~ Last Updated: October 29th, 2009 Twice!! (Ongoing) (SMEP 6.0 Mod) ~ Character Writer of the Week: 17//09/09 & 18/10/09
    Imperial Russia ~ (On Hold) (Kaiserreich Mod)

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Congratulations Doge, and well done on the most gracious acceptance post ever. A well-deserved award.
    The King's First Minister - a UK AAR

Character Writer of the Week 15/12/08
    Character Writer of the Week 10/08/09
    Character Writer of the Week 04/10/09

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Congratulations
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

Crazy Cat Person. Meow! Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    61 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Congrats Doge Robert!

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

Romanorum Imperator Augustus asd21593's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

Congrats, Doge Robert!
    My AAR Library
    -not writing at the moment-

Magister Philosophić volksmarschall's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Doge, a well-deserved honor indeed!
    Working On: The Decline and Fall of Roman Civilization (EUIV) 3x AwAARds Preface | Volume 1 | Volume 2
    Completed AAR(s):
    The Presidents: Clay to Smith (1836-1920) (History Book, 57 pages, my magnum opus) 7x AwAARd winner.
    Saints and Angels: An Epic of the American Civil War, (Narrative, 22 pages) 6x AwAARd winner.
    My Inkwell! (2 more completed AARs, 5 failed adventures, and brief bio!) | On Hold: The House of Habsburg In the Age of Empire (EUIV History Book)
    My AwAARds: 8x ACA AwAARd recipient (6x 1st Favorite), 4x Character WritAAR of the Week, 3x WritAAR of the Week, 3x Showcase, Fan of the week 1/03/09 & 9/02/14 (Full List in Inkewll)
    I am a historian, philosopher, and research economist (B.A. in those 3 subjects) | "God is the savior of all mankind" (1Tim 4:10)
    The Paradox Historiography Society | Sailing to Byzantium (Touring the city of Byzantium, or Constantinople, from founding to present).

HoI AnthologyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Rome

Thank you once again to all of you, who have posted here. As I have been, so I still am: Deeply and truly humble and grateful for the immense honor I have been shown by being granted this award not just once, but twice. I still lack the words to properly express just how much this means to me, but what I lack in words, I have tried to make up for in action.

For recieving this award is but half of the total equation and the other half is by far the hardest and a great responsibility to put on the shoulders of any one person: Choosing one's successor.

I have roamed AARland for a story, which seemed to me, to capture the spirit of this Award. And if I have learned anything, it is simply this: The number of talented writers on this forum is not only staggering, it is beyond belief!

I praise myself lucky that I did not have to find a successor for the brother-award for this, namely the WritAAR of the Week, for they must choose from ALL the stories on this forum, while I at least, scant comfort it may be, only had to choose from those, who incorporated "living", "breathing", characters. This, not surprisingly, is hard enough, for among our countless writers, it seems that quite a lot have chosen the narrative approach and thus incorporated people into their stories...

I find myself breathless and even somewhat beaten after browsing so many good AARs, trying to decide who was the better Character Writer. How can I, mortal as I am, choose just one, just one among the many, to recieve this award after me?

The answer is: I can't... Not really... But I had to.

So instead of listing every single narrative AAR I've been reading this last week and the powers that be knows, I would really like to, I have decided to abide by the rules and list just one: One who I feel is not just a very talented writer, but one who has managed to set a special kind of tone in his AAR, using these same characters.

In said AAR, the tone is light almost to the point of being humorous, without ever really reaching that point. At the same time, it is deep and intense, showing us great levels of intrigue, mostly hinted at or hidden just beyond the horizon, to let us sit breathlessly waiting for the next update and.. hopefully... the answer to the riddle..

What really made me decide upon this AAR, among so many deserving, is the way the story somehow switches from Narrative to Historical, using one to underline and lift up the other, making characters come to life, be defined and stand out, without ever getting too close to the person at hand.. Letting us feel a tantalizing familiarity, yet not a sense of knowing every levels of depth in any person..

It is a young AAR, barely reaching five pages yet and still, the potential is staggering and the skill of the writer beyond reproach. What the future will bring for us in this story, I can barely imagine, but one thing is certain: It will be great.

At this point, you are probably loosing your patience with my ever-present need to elaborate and thus, while being excessively self-restrictive , I give to you my nomation for Best Character Writer of the Week:

Flyingdutchie and his ItalAAR

Congratulations.
    Last edited by Doge Robert; 25-10-2009 at 20:12.
    HOI2 AARs:

The Third Reich ~ Last Updated: October 29th, 2009 Twice!! (Ongoing) (SMEP 6.0 Mod) ~ Character Writer of the Week: 17//09/09 & 18/10/09
    Imperial Russia ~ (On Hold) (Kaiserreich Mod)

52 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    War of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

gratz!

Crazy Cat Person. Meow! Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    61 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Congrats Flying Dutchie!

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

Congrats Flying Dutchie!! You're soaring high!!
    "It is not sufficient that I succeed, all others must fail!" - Genghis Khan

RED Rampage of Chairman Mao
    Rise of the Ottoman Empire! Return to Rule of the Caliphs!
    Defence of the Ancient: Rebirth of Greater Tibet! From the land in the heavens, the guns descended...
    The WRAITH of KHAN! All AARe mine! The return of the Mongol hordes!
    -Tom Guntrip's Uber-Good, Possibly Funny, AwAARd Trophy*
    -WritAAR of the Week - 12 Oct 2009
    -Lighthearter's Award of Cookie of Extreme Awesome *

Back from the dead FlyingDutchie's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteVictoria 2

Guess now is my time to be at a loss for words. Winning an award as prestigious as this one. Never expected it...
    In the beginning I merely wanted to create a short story of Italian conquest (hence the deceptive title of short campaign), spiced up with some intrigue. Mostly to practice my writing and my English before writing a bigger AAR. Never expected to win awards with it...

Thanks Doge for this award and thanks to anyone who took the time for my writing. I will continue to work hard to prove myself worthy of these awards.
    Current work: The Sons of Castille - a Castille CK 2 AAR, The German Empire during the 2nd Weltkrieg - A Kaiserreich DH AAR

Some old (and sadly abandoned) works:
    The plot against Britain - a Kaiserreich mystery,Reconquista! - the exploits of the House Barcelona ,A Short History of the German Empire
    Assorted trophies: - Fan of the week (4-4-2010) - WritAAR of the week (18-10-2009) - Character writer of the week, (25-10-2009), - Character writer of the week (23-5-2010) - Joined first place AARland choice Favorite Comedy AAR 2009 (Q4) - Character writer of the week (11-4-2010) - Lord Strange Cookie of British Awesomenesss

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Congratulations
    'What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an Angel, in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals! And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust?

Faith in Humanity Meter - ||||||||||
    The Ink Well

200k clubHoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Congratulations FlyingDutchie
    EUIII AAR: The lilies of France
    Awarded Best Character Writer of the Week 25. Feb 2007
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 22. April 2007

HoI2 AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller – A Norwegian AAR
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 25. Sept 2005
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 25. Jan 2006
    Awarded Fan of the Week 26. March 2006, 7. October 2007 and 10. November 2008
    Boer War AAR: Joe’s War- a Boer War AAR

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment
    Congratualtions FlyingDutchie and a belated to congratulations to all those who I've missed while I was on my trips: Felicitations AF and Well done and excellent speech Doge Robert !
    DANGEROUS LIAISONS
    The New Short AAR about Seduction , Manipulation , Intrigue , Mystery , and Revolution .
    -~= =~-
    T I M E L I N E S : What if Spain Failed to Control the World?
    Seventeen AARLand Choice Awards: Favourite Overall New WritAAR Q1 2007.
    Favourite Overall EU3 AAR: Q1 2007; Q2 2007; Q3 2007; Q4 2007; Q1 2008; Q2 2008; Q3 2008; Q4 2008
    Favourite Narrative EU3 AAR: Q1 2007; Q2 2007; Q3 2007; Q4 2007; Q1 2008; Q2 2008; Q3 2008; Q4 2008

Three Times WritAAR of the Week: 4 March 2007 13 May 2007 & 28 March 2008;
    Twice AAR Showcase: 9 Dec 2007, 14 Jun 2009; Twice Best Character Writer: 9 Dec 2007, 13 Sep 2008

Editor in Chief of The AARlander

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3

Congratulations FlyingDutchie!
    Return to Glory: A Germania AAR
    WritAAR of the week for the week of 6-10-07, Favorite New Writer Overall for Q2 2007, Best Character Writer of the Week 7-18-08

The Grand Duchy of Hesse-Darmstadt: A History

Back from the dead FlyingDutchie's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteVictoria 2

Thanks everyone.

As for the new writer of the week, I nominate XHR. His excellent AAR Ostfront 1941 gives scarily realistic portrails of the German generals and higherups at the time. Such an AAR deserves this prize IMO.

So congrats XHR.
    Current work: The Sons of Castille - a Castille CK 2 AAR, The German Empire during the 2nd Weltkrieg - A Kaiserreich DH AAR

Some old (and sadly abandoned) works:
    The plot against Britain - a Kaiserreich mystery,Reconquista! - the exploits of the House Barcelona ,A Short History of the German Empire
    Assorted trophies: - Fan of the week (4-4-2010) - WritAAR of the week (18-10-2009) - Character writer of the week, (25-10-2009), - Character writer of the week (23-5-2010) - Joined first place AARland choice Favorite Comedy AAR 2009 (Q4) - Character writer of the week (11-4-2010) - Lord Strange Cookie of British Awesomenesss

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Congratulations XHR, great job
    'What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an Angel, in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals! And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust?

Faith in Humanity Meter - ||||||||||
    The Ink Well

200k clubHoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossLost Empire - ImmortalsMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries

Wow, thank you very much, FlyingDutchie! What an honour to be chosen while I struggle to get out my weekly updates despite the RL challenges
    As all of you very well know writing an aar is time-consuming and can be difficult at time so these trophies are very welcome and are quite motivating!
    The depiction of the many generals and Nazi-leaders is indeed difficult and I struggled with some issues in my aar that I want to tell you about. As I started writing my AAR I was somewhat determined to avoid mentioning "AH" too often but found that rather difficult. I have put down a few pages with different characterizations for some of the generals but it is somewhat difficult to keep in mind when creating strategies in game (as I tend to roleplay a lot, sometimes even from a general's pov) or when writing about these men in different situations.
    The side-story about the spy "Werther" is a little different, as it has much fewer characters, but that one is still quite "young" as far as my story is concerned.
    I will try to dive into my character-writing a little deeper in my future updates as the big "Operation Thunderstrike" of the Wehrmacht is well on it's way.

Make sure to check out my epic struggle against Soviet Russia - and thanks again, FlyingDutchie!

52 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    War of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

No Leiden Des Jungen Werthers incoming?

Gratz!

+ Reply to Thread