• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congratulations pharges. Thrones is just such a good read, I would reccomend it too anyone. It suits a massive range of tastes.

Congrats for yet another recent award, phargle. I'm enjoying the characters thus far in Thrones, especially Cutter, I'd have to say. May have to pick a new one now. ;)

What a wonderful choice. Phargle is not only a prolific writer, but one whose style is versatile, whose stories are intelligent, and whose characters utterly believable. I am hugely enjoying Thrones, and among its many distinctive characters is to me especially the character of King Henry that sticks out as well-rounded, vivid, and exceedingly well-defined. Congratulations, phargle! :)

Thrones is an exceptionally well-written AAR, full of depth, imagery and characterization. Congrats.

Oh, wow. This is really cool, guys. Best Character Writer of the Week is something I've never won, and to get it for Thrones is an honor, truly. Thrones is a bit of an ambitious project, and varies in quality depending on a variety of factors (like whether I've remembered a particular character is actually in the story or not), and it been my constant pleasure to have such a diverse and supportive crowd of talented, talented, talented writers cheering me along.

Thrones was born from an idea for a supernatural AAR concept I'd had for awhile, and I finally started playing a bit of EU3 and got my ass kicked all over France by France when the idea came together into something I could actually write. It's about angels and demons, kings and peasants, and I've had a blast writing the characters in it. My two favorites are King Henry V and the destroyer. Henry is the king made famous by Shakespeare, and he experienced an Agincourt not of his choosing in the opening pages of the story. On the run from France and a mysterious hunter, he has to make his way to the coast so he can find a way to flee back to England. Henry is down-to-Earth, noble, hard in the British sense, and prone to excitability. If an idea is intriguing, it'll probably get Henry's attention, even if it's not altogether wise. Oh, his brother also got killed at Agincourt, so he's got a strange fire burning in him.

And the destroyer? His identity is hinted at in the title of the AAR, and a few readers picked up on chapter headings to Google information about him. He's a subtle character, with a wide array of powers and strenghts - and a correspondingly wide array of weaknesses and vulnerabilities. Sam Cutter, the (ahem) magical negro priest, exploits them twice in the course of his confrontations with the destroyer. A supernatural villain, it's unlikely that the destroyer's current predicament will be permanent.

I also dig Roger, and made a minor character Michel Tancred in honor of The_Guiscard, but he got whacked (the character, not The_Guiscard), and miss Thomas, who didn't last long in the story.

Anyway, that's Thrones, and I hope y'all find time to read it if you're not doing it already. I try to keep each update short (about 1000-1300 words. . . supposedly) so it can be read, it being a story and all that I want people to read with the same enthusiasm with which they'd devour a collection of screenshots. As I keep up with a lot of AARs, I know how much a long narrative can eat into your valuable reading time. . . so I try to be considerate. You know I love ya'all.

And I will still have my revenge for the failure of Knud Knýtling to receive the character writer award. You may think you've soothed the savage beast lurking within me, but know this: when you awaken late at night because you hear a strange man breathing in your doorway, the silhouette you see standing there will be my own. Oh yes, it will be my own. My revenge will be sweet like a low-calorie sweetener, and creamy like butter, which you can (contrary to what some may think) put on anything. The cream will be thick with vengeance, and I will fly away to a distant yellow planet where strange frog-men call me master.

I also dig Roger, and made a minor character Michel Tancred in honor of The_Guiscard, but he got whacked (the character, not The_Guiscard),

Wow, I had no idea, though I do see it now, of course. I'm truly honoured. Thank you, man. Not for whacking the character made as an homage to me, though, but, well, ..., oh, you know what.

Excellent choice; well deserved. Thrones is positively brimming with memorable characters.

One of the wonderful things about the Showcase awards is that people actually do go check out AARs they've never seen before. I hope that happens here, too; Thrones is worth your time.

Well done Phargle :)

Many congratulations Phargster :D

Thank you, thank you. Now it's time for me to leave my time in the sun and pass it on to another. . . actually, that was yesterday, but I was too busy playing Rock Band. So, without further ado, I hereby pass on the title of Best Character Writer of the Week to someone who just ended their lovely little character piece:

Morsky

For the hilarious and disgusting heroes of The SalopAARds: A History, and most of all for William the Conquerer as he has never been portrayed before.

Congratulations Morsky !