• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A very fine choice indeed. Congratulations CatKnight :)

While I am terribly behind in my reading, thankfully I am aware enough of CatKnight's splendid character writing. This is very much deserved!

Congrats, sir! :)

I don't know how long this has been your award -- whether it's just been awarded, or if it's been a week or so -- but I'll take the opportunity anyhow to remark upon how true it is!

Wonderful stories and characterization! And what's more -- CatKnight's characters can speak! :D You just can't beat good characters and good, believable dialogue. Not ultra-rare on these fora, but rare enough in writing in general.

Great work! Congratulations!

Rensslaer

Hello everyone, and thank you grayghost for this wonderful honor.

I'd been hoping to announce a new post for 'Tannenberg', but I'm having a bit of a spat with the (custom) event sequence coming up and didn't want to wait longer to thank you all for your support. Hopefully in the next day or two.

'Tannenberg' started as a combo - a 'present day' conversation/analysis between Cat (me) and a mysterious knight, followed by a history book style for the actual AAR. I soon abandoned the conversation. I know many of Tannenberg's readers enjoyed it, but I felt it curtailed what I could or couldn't do with the game. For example, Cat and the knight ended up in a fight with 'modern' Teutonic Knights. Well...the Teutonic Knights ended in 1497 in this timeline. Certainly I could have gotten around this, but having to continually rewrite things to make the present plausible promised to be too much. Plus, I already have a narrative/'story' in "Resurrection."

As for the characters in Tannenberg....I start with two or three traits I want to emphasize for a given person. Usually there are a handful of these 'people' active at any one time, and I just try to make ingame decisions and custom events based on what they would want.

Oft times what'll happen is I simply play the game, and as I write up the post I'll "rationalize" what happened from their point of view and that will open up new ideas for me. For example, the current crisis started as a "Temporary Insanity of Monarch" event coupled with knowing the 'monarch' secretly wanted to dissolve the order.

In the middle of a big war, the AI started offering generous peace terms ... something like five provinces. I realized this 'monarch' wouldn't accept anything less than complete surrender. Knowing the Grand Master was growing more paranoid and unreasonable, it seemed the Grand Commander - his former second-in-command - would do anything to save the Order ... including launch a coup d'etat.

People compliment me on my political intrigues. Well...thank you. I don't know if I'm so good at it, myself. 'Tannenberg' often leaves me completely bewildered! All I do is make sure there are two or more characters who both (usually) want the same thing - to help their country - but have radically different ideas on how to get there. It's this motive, with a few notes on their personality, that brings them alive for me. It's conflicting motives that allow me to tell a politically oriented tale.

Again, thanks grayghost and everyone else for this wonderful honor!

Many congratulations Cat.

Congratulations, CatKnight. And thanks for the bit of explanation on how you write/create your world. Always nice to have a bit of insight into the creative process of writers. :)

Daughter permitting, I'll try to catch up on your writings. Considering I've just been absent for 6 weeks, I concede that's not much of a promise... :)

Hi folks. Sorry I didn't give the award away in a timely matter. Life's thrown me a lot of interesting pitches yesterday and I haven't had much chance to review.

I will turn the award over hopefully in a few minutes. Thank you again, everyone, for this wonderful honour.

EDIT
I'll be honest: This was surprisingly easy, not because there aren't numerous great works out there, but while looking through the winner lists I realized there was a name missing.

This author has built a convincing tale of the Napoleonic Wars and filled it with many interesting characters, from low level soldiers to le'Empereur himself. He's done so with a depth of detail and attention to accuracy that leaves me in awe, and has given this same kind of gift to his characters. As someone was kind enough to say about me: His characters can TALK. And reason from their own points of view. You can imagine that they were once very much alive.

I give you TriezeV's masterworks:
VIVE L'EMPEREUR! Glory of the Eagles and it's direct descendant that's just now starting, VIVE L'EMPEREUR: Twilight of the Eagles.

Last edited:
Congratulations TreizeV ! ^^

Congratulations TreizeV.

Well done TreizeV, congratulations :)

Indeed, I have been a huge fan of TreizeV's characters ever since I first encountered his Napoleon. It seemed note perfect and all others have followed along just as well done. This is very well deserved! Congrats.

Congrats! :)