• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
TheHyphenated1 said:
Which gets me to thinking, since you nominated me gaiasabre11, is there anything that you'd like to hear more about in terms of characters? Anyone that stands out that you'd like to see my speech focus on?

I'll say that I want to know more about the members of the Abwehr. I'm just fascinated by people who work in the shadows. :D

Also, I'll like to invite you to read my AAR (if you have not already did). After reading it you should know more about what kind of characters I'd like you to write more about. ;)

Last edited:
Very nice choice. Congratulations TheHyphenated1 :)

Congratulations!

Congratulations TH1!

Very many congratulations to TheHyphenated1, and all those winners who have received this award since I last posted.

Thanks again for all the congratulations, everyone! :D :D

I'll be back later today to post my speech and announce my successor!

See y'all soon!

A big thank you again to gaiasabre11 for this terrific honor!

Just a few remarks on the Abwehr, as gaisabre11 was interested in, without further ado...

The Abwehr was certainly very fortunate to have placed a spy within Britain’s own Secret Intelligence Service. Still, they face the most formidable intelligence arms in the world -- only now fully coming to bear against the Reich. Those in the world of German intelligence must adapt quickly and act ruthlessly if they are to maintain their early gains.

Let’s take a look at a few of those that have been featured in Weltkriegschaft so far:

Victor Reinert is brilliant and methodical -- one of the “new men” brought into the Abwehr from civilian life. He’s clearly in awe of Canaris, who’s professionalism he seeks to emulate. He’s probably most gifted in analytical roles, yet yet finds himself typically assigned to operational positions, which benefit from his intelligence and determination. Reinert finds himself endowed with more compassion and decency than is valued in his business, making it personally difficult for him to accept some of the hard realities of intelligence work. Nonetheless, he does his job and does it very, very well. How this tension -- between personal decency and professional ruthlessness -- plays out in the long run will be central to his character.

Fritz-Albert Geier, just introduced in III:VIII leading Alpha team of Operation Sphynx, is willing to do things that Reinert would have a hard time with. He’s certainly an intellectual, but showed great aptitude in France when it came to going behind the lines and getting his hands dirty. The same was evidenced in Cairo. No doubt he’ll advance to further responsibility as the Abwehr finds need for many dangerous missions in the months ahead.

Admiral Canaris, though not a narrative character, surely deserves mention of his own. I was rather pleasantly surprised to find how much many readers enjoyed this character. I would advance that perhaps the most appealing thing about him -- for myself especially -- is the enigma that he poses. His contemporaries could never quite figure him out, and even today historians have a notoriously hard time with him. He (in OTL) saved the lives of numerous persecuted people in Germany, yet contributed to the deaths of many more in the name of the nation he served. He had made statements supporting Hitler and criticizing Hitler. In short, he is a peerless man of secrets. Just what side of the fence he’s sitting on and why will be of the utmost importance to Germany in the times ahead.

And here’s a little teaser for what the Abwehr will be up to in the near future:

ireland1.jpg

Back again later with my successor!

Last edited:
This week's Best Character Writer of the Week is telling a compelling story on the EU:Rome forum. The character of Jedu Bar-Ahaz is central to the story of Regnum Iudaeorum - The Lost Ten Tribes of Israel , by crusaderknight! I'd like to be the first to congratulate him. Wonderfully written, crusaderknight!

Last edited:
Looks like a very interesting tale. Congrats!

very well deserved , ck :D Congratulations !!

hah, he is writing that story on eu rome forum! Not ck! :D
But anyways gratz!

Yep, Canaris is a man of secrets, and that is just another reason why I read your aar. :p