• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
coz1 said:
I did, but it did not give me much insight into the actual AAR or its characters you found so entertaining. If this award is to recgonize strong character writing, I should think some discussion of what makes those characters work would be in order. My two ducats, of course. :)

Ah...

Well, I think the character of Doom, as written, is almost spot onto what the comic book character is like - imperious, doesnt suffer fools greatly, maniacal, has that whole "the world is my sandbox and I can pee where I want to" thing going - its Victor von Doom done to a "T"... :)

Well, he did have less than a week to enjoy his title.

anonymous4401 said:
Well, he did have less than a week to enjoy his title.

True but that was because Dag took so long... Okay in order to stop this from being a constant thing, Arilou has till this Sunday to choose a new winner.

Well done Arilou, congratulations with this award :)

Oh, so I have to pick a new one do I? In that case I suspect I'm going to have to pick someone who deserves the award many times over (and while we're still doing the entire "Evil Mastermind" thing) I'll have to Pick Yogi's Fu Manchu from "The Empire of Fu Manchu"....

The character just oozes pure evilness, and I suspect that by now the "Master Plan..." and "Empire of..." are some of the largest and most complex AAR's done on the Paradox forums, and at the heart of every devious machination, every scheme and counter-scheme, sits the Devil Doctor himself!

Nicely described, Arilou and a great pick. Congrats on the recognition, Yogi! Certainly well deserved for one of the all time great AARland characters!

Good choice Arilou. Congrats The Yogi :cool:

A great pick, indeed!

Never read Fu Manchu, but have always heard good things of it, and its characters. On my 'to do' list

You should definitely read Fu Manchu, stnylan! It's truly of quality!

anonymous4401 said:
You should definitely read Fu Manchu, stnylan! It's truly of quality!
I have not doubt. But it isn't the shortest work on these fora ;) Especially since I note it has a non-small HoI1 life before converting to HoI2. :D

Congratulations, The Yogi! :)

THANK YOU!

Thank you all, and especially Arilou for picking the Devil Doctor, "the yellow peril incarnate in one man" for this honour! Fu Manchu is well pleased, so you can now sleep secure in the knowledge that no poisonus spider will be let loose in your bed by the sneaking Dacoits of the Si-Fan, and do your morning toilette without wondering if your shaving foam will not contain a hefty dose of stone fish poison! ;)

EDIT: stnylan, if you want to live in peace too, you better get cracking! I find that reading AARs goes much, MUCH faster on paper, and it just so happens that Master Plan... has recently been turned into a PDF. :)

Like Arilou, I must however share the glory, in my case with the litterary creator of Fu Manchu, British pulp writer Sax Roehmer. I say litterary, because Roehmer always claimed he based his character on a top criminal known only as "Mr King" that he saw briefly one misty night in Limehouse, the London Chinatown, around the turn of the century, a man with "features like satan and a brow like Shakespeare"... Oh, who are we kidding: he's out there! :eek:

Because of me having read very little of Roehmer's work before embarking on this venture, readers should be aware that my Fu and Roehmer's Fu are very different persons. While mine is agressive, domineering and authoritarian, (although not as much as DOOM!) Rohemer's character is more restrained, speaks obliquely and more stereotypically "chinese", often mentioning his honoured ancestors and so on.

Anyway, let me just wish for world peace (Pax Fu, that is) and wrap up this thank you-speech! I'll be on the lookout for a successor for next Sunday, to get this thing back on schedule (I can't do it until this Sunday).​

Last edited: