• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Many thanks everyone! It is a real honour to win this for a third time, and for a character and AAR that are both still in their infancy (though hopefully my woeful lack of updates will improve now!). As for a the next winner, well there could only really be one choice for me. Best character writer of the week has to go to Director for Donneval Makhearne in his ever superb A Special Providence. Congratulations D.!

A Special Providence is truly rich in remarkable characters: the main protagonists are flawed (Makhearne has a ruthless streak, Ronsend is more idealistic, but sometimes gets in trouble because he acts before he thinks), the main antagonists (Mme. Frost, Temic Messoune) are reprehensible, but still manage to entertain, and, at rare times, even strike a sympathetic chord with us. And the supporting cast, whether they be completely fictional or based on historic characters, sparkle with life. Just look at Dr. Fielding (a Sherlock-Holmes-like British sleuth), or Theodore Roosevelt (who, yes, ends up as US president, although his path the the presidency is quite different from the one we're familiar with).

A truly worthy winner. Congratulations, D! :)

Amen - one of the masters!

Congratulations, Director!

Rensslaer

Congratulations Director!

Thank you, Rob, for the honor, and thank you, everyone, for your kind words.

If I may be immodest, since the founding of this showcase this is my seventh appearance. I think that is worthy of comment, because I have never believed I had much ability to create memorable characters. One reason for going forward with 'A Special Providence' was that I wanted to drill down on certain skills, characterization among them. I am terrifically pleased that the forum has seen fit to notice my progress (however feeble it seems to me).

'A Special Providence' of course resides in what is now a backwater forum, and SP is both very long and very long-running (somewhat ironic because another of my goals was to make it brief and to the point). But while it pleases me that it continues to receive mentions for the AARland Choice and occasional mentions in the weekly showcases, I am puzzled that almost no-one seems to be reading or commenting in it. (My few loyal readers - I certainly do not consider you to be nobodies!)

One of the original purposes of this forum, now AARland, was to serve as a writer's workshop, and in that I believe it has been spectacularly successful. But this place has two rewards, two - if you will - forms of currency. Awards and showcases are very nice and provide an addictive ego-massage. But the greatest of all rewards is a comment... If a reader thinks he (or she, however rare) has nothing to say or believes the author does not care whether anyone comments or not, be advised that writers OBSESS over every - single - word of every comment. My greatest pleasure is to see if my friends 'got the jokes', appreciated the phrases, found the clues and Easter eggs... Best of all, it is a way to know that they are still interested, and folks - there is no payment for an amateur author better than interest. Don't believe me? How many of you would offer up your first book for free if it meant you got to be published? :mellow:

In short, comments are the payment that keeps us authors pounding on the keyboard. If you read an AAR (mine or anyone else's), you need to occasionally stop and drop a comment in the toll-booth slot. You'll get another post on your count and the authors you follow will be even more motivated to write something for you to enjoy...

And really, who doesn't like that?

Thank you all. I am not worthy, but I do enjoy the recognition. Bless you all.

The next installment of 'Providence' is up and it starts with Theodore Roosevelt on the bridge of a dreadnought - enjoy! :D

Well put. Except the 'not worthy' part. :)

As a reader on these forums, I feel much the same way: leaving a comment is my 'payment' for the enjoyment I get offered up for free. It doesn't take long (or rather, it doesn't have to - but I am a bad example) and it is greatly appreciated. Plus, you get the chance for some enjoyable back-and-forth. I've joked with people I'll never ever meet face to face, learned fascinating tidbits that I could never have discovered otherwise, and generally had pleasant conversations with a wide array of folks for years, courtesy of that humble 'Reply' button.

Anyway, I'll step off my soap box and vacate the stage now. Congratulations again to Director and I look forward to finding out who our next great character writer will be.

I'll look forward to TR on the bridge -- I always enjoy naval updates!

My poor excuse for not commenting is that I only have time to pop in from time to time, reading page 27, then 38 then 56, etc., and so I fear I may reveal my ignorance of the larger story even while giving praise for an individually spectacular update! :blush: I have promised far too many people that I will eventually get around to reading their whole story from beginning to end (CatKnight is still first in line!) -- I dare not promise again, but suffice it to say I would like to if/when I have that day of leisure!

Renss

Thank you very much Director. It's an honour to be selected for this award.

I really enjoy writing and I'm using AARs as a way to build up my skill at writing a proper narrative and characterization, so to be acknowledged for this is a great boost to my confidence.

Sorry that I don't have more to say, but I'm not very good at acceptance speeches. :p

Congratulations Sybot!

Congratulations Sybot!

Congrats Sybot!