• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you, notenome2, and thanks to everyone else, too. I very much appreciate it!

I apologize that this will now be late, but I will post tomorrow (Monday) who will be the next winner of this award.

I would like to pass this award to loki100. I am reading his CK2 "If with Evil You Punish" and enjoying the characters and the multiple points of view. Great job, loki100!

Congrats loki! :)

Congratulations! I like the comparisons and contrasts between Ismail and Hassan: both ruthless, both striving for something, yet so different in what they are striving for. Omar provides a counterpoint to those two: where Ismail and Hassan are makers of history - pulling the strings, weaving the webs - Omar is content to flow with the tide of history, making the most of his own little world.

They are all equally compelling characters - just not equally likeable. :)

Congratulations, loki100! You've helped me gain a new appreciation for the Narrative style

well tis that time ... when this needs to be passed on. Sob :eek:

But many thanks to Philo32b for the nomination. In the Shadow is one of those rare AARs which alter how you see things. In my Pride of Nations AAR, I keep on seeing Sannar, and all I can think of is your damn baboons. Thanks to everyone else for the comments, 'If with Evil' is different and I'm glad that people like it.

Now its traditional to say its hard to pick a successor. Actually this was ridiculously easy, not because AARland is not filled with superb characters (& thats just the commentators around this place) but because, if you like character driven AARs, you just have to come and meet Karl. Perchance not the Wehrmacht's finest but all armies have their weak spots.

So your next character writer of the week is daemonofdecay with Through my Eyes. Catch up if you haven't ... even if HOI isn't usually of interest this is more than worth having a look at.

Congratulations! Hans is the kind of character that is a joy to read, because he transgresses every boundary decent people wouldn't dare transgress, and he gets away with it (it's a bit like watching Hugh Laurie in House treating everyone like absolute scum and getting away with it because he's simply too good at what he does). It allows me to vicariously feel a little bit like a bastard myself. ;)

Congrats, well deserved!

Oh what a great choice! I love to hate Hans with his clever and annoying way of doing all the things I wish I could do. My biggest frustration right now is falling behind in my reading, so please, feel free to procrastinate. Congratulations daemonofdecay!

Excellent AAR, usually has me in stitches. Well done, daemonofdecay!

Congratulations! Once again I find myself having a lot of things to learn about character writing (Not saying that it doesn't happen every time I see an AAR nominated here...) :D

I'd like to say thanks to those who thought I was a decent enough writer to warrant any special attention. I wish I could be able to write more often, but I have a month of classes, student teaching, and a move to manage which has the wonderful effect of taking away all that pesky free time I was struggling with.

I want to make sure I post who should win this award next before I get lost in another week of feverish activity, so I started looking at suitable AARs in between papers. And one of the AARs that most struck me was the eponymous Doppelgänger in Uriah's AAR Doppelgänger: the Untold Story of the Third Reich (LINK). Most AARs that I read I normally have to force myself to read a few posts in before I get interested, but this one was intriguing enough from the start.

It doesn't hurt that I am a sucker for secret histories and funny German words, and the idea of reading about a power-hungry double does interest me. Its a good blend of gameplay, narrative, and possesses a unique POV. So congrats to Uriah!