+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 226 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 28 53 78 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Character Writer of the Week: Fire_Unionist

Quote Originally Posted by coz1
    I did, but it did not give me much insight into the actual AAR or its characters you found so entertaining. If this award is to recgonize strong character writing, I should think some discussion of what makes those characters work would be in order. My two ducats, of course.
    Ah...

Well, I think the character of Doom, as written, is almost spot onto what the comic book character is like - imperious, doesnt suffer fools greatly, maniacal, has that whole "the world is my sandbox and I can pee where I want to" thing going - its Victor von Doom done to a "T"...

Well Arilou today is sunday. So have a character in mind?
    "Remeber when we talk about war, we are really talking about peace." George W. Bush 2002

Grand Library of Fenwick

Karpov Doctrine

For my people:California Empire AAR

For my People: the next California AAR

EU3 Complete

2 things
    first well done Arilou.
    next, it is past sunday don't you need to pick another person?

AARlander
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III

Well, he did have less than a week to enjoy his title.
    Good comments and worthless spam, the difference is just an eyelash

Real Men Do It Alphabetically: An AARgau | Conquering CK by the dictionary. Updates EVERY DAY FOREVER.
    Littoral Insanity, a Hinterland of Genius | World Conquest by land and sea. Updates daily.

anonymous4401's Signature Repositorium
    The AARlander Issue #6: February 2008
    The AARland Choice AwAARds Results Archive

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous4401
    Well, he did have less than a week to enjoy his title.
    True but that was because Dag took so long... Okay in order to stop this from being a constant thing, Arilou has till this Sunday to choose a new winner.
    "Remeber when we talk about war, we are really talking about peace." George W. Bush 2002

Grand Library of Fenwick

Karpov Doctrine

For my people:California Empire AAR

For my People: the next California AAR

200k clubHoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Well done Arilou, congratulations with this award
    EUIII AAR: The lilies of France
    Awarded Best Character Writer of the Week 25. Feb 2007
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 22. April 2007

HoI2 AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller – A Norwegian AAR
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 25. Sept 2005
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 25. Jan 2006
    Awarded Fan of the Week 26. March 2006, 7. October 2007 and 10. November 2008
    Boer War AAR: Joe’s War- a Boer War AAR

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IIMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Warlock 2: The Exiled

Blog Entries
    Oh, so I have to pick a new one do I? In that case I suspect I'm going to have to pick someone who deserves the award many times over (and while we're still doing the entire "Evil Mastermind" thing) I'll have to Pick Yogi's Fu Manchu from "The Empire of Fu Manchu"....

The character just oozes pure evilness, and I suspect that by now the "Master Plan..." and "Empire of..." are some of the largest and most complex AAR's done on the Paradox forums, and at the heart of every devious machination, every scheme and counter-scheme, sits the Devil Doctor himself!
    "Man is free; but his freedom does not look like the glorious liberty of the Enlightenment; it is no longer the gift of God. Once again, man stands alone in the universe, responsible for his condition, likely to remain in a lowly state, but free to reach above the stars.."
    -Jean-Paul Sartré

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Nicely described, Arilou and a great pick. Congrats on the recognition, Yogi! Certainly well deserved for one of the all time great AARland characters!
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

Lt.-Colonel of Guerillas Singleton Mosby's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneLegioThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2Penumbra - Black PlagueEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold
    Semper FiShip Simulator ExtremesSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Mosby's Confederacy, Guerilla territory, VA. CSA
    Good choice Arilou. Congrats The Yogi

'Any system which aims at taking freedom by open force to other peoples will only make that freedom hated and prevent its triumph. '
    - Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord

AARlander

A great pick, indeed!

Real Men Do It Alphabetically: An AARgau | Conquering CK by the dictionary. Updates EVERY DAY FOREVER.
    Littoral Insanity, a Hinterland of Genius | World Conquest by land and sea. Updates daily.

EU3 Complete

wise choice indeed, Congrats The Yogi

Europa Barbarorum Team Member Alhazen's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2

hear hear! congrats Yogi!
    Europa Barbarorum Team Member
    Romani

The Fuehrer of the Dance Mettermrck's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEast India CompanyEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryGalactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Way to go, Yog!

476 was just the beginning...
    The Eagles of Avalon - An EU2 AAR

War in Mexico, the Three Terms of President Lindbergh, and a Red Europe
    The United States: 'Advantages without Obligations' - A HOI AAR
    (completed) pdf - now with epilogue!

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k club

Blog Entries
    Never read Fu Manchu, but have always heard good things of it, and its characters. On my 'to do' list
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: A Milanese Education EU3 DW 5.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

AARlander

You should definitely read Fu Manchu, stnylan! It's truly of quality!

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous4401
    You should definitely read Fu Manchu, stnylan! It's truly of quality!
    I have not doubt. But it isn't the shortest work on these fora Especially since I note it has a non-small HoI1 life before converting to HoI2.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: A Milanese Education EU3 DW 5.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

HoI AnthologyDiplomacyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi

Congratulations, The Yogi!
    My spambot broke, now I have to write everything myself.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup.

Workers of the world, igni-* err... unite!

grats The Yogi!
    The Precise History of New England -AAR Writer of the Week 5/21/06-2/28-06
    doot doot doot 4D6574 Owner of 1 Yoyo dollar, $4-anonymous4401
    Fan of the Week 2/8/06-2/15/06

Was he free? Was he happy? The question is absurd:
    Had anything been wrong, we should certainly have heard.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries

Smile

THANK YOU!

Thank you all, and especially Arilou for picking the Devil Doctor, "the yellow peril incarnate in one man" for this honour! Fu Manchu is well pleased, so you can now sleep secure in the knowledge that no poisonus spider will be let loose in your bed by the sneaking Dacoits of the Si-Fan, and do your morning toilette without wondering if your shaving foam will not contain a hefty dose of stone fish poison!

EDIT: stnylan, if you want to live in peace too, you better get cracking! I find that reading AARs goes much, MUCH faster on paper, and it just so happens that Master Plan... has recently been turned into a PDF.

Like Arilou, I must however share the glory, in my case with the litterary creator of Fu Manchu, British pulp writer Sax Roehmer. I say litterary, because Roehmer always claimed he based his character on a top criminal known only as "Mr King" that he saw briefly one misty night in Limehouse, the London Chinatown, around the turn of the century, a man with "features like satan and a brow like Shakespeare"... Oh, who are we kidding: he's out there!

Because of me having read very little of Roehmer's work before embarking on this venture, readers should be aware that my Fu and Roehmer's Fu are very different persons. While mine is agressive, domineering and authoritarian, (although not as much as DOOM!) Rohemer's character is more restrained, speaks obliquely and more stereotypically "chinese", often mentioning his honoured ancestors and so on.

Anyway, let me just wish for world peace (Pax Fu, that is) and wrap up this thank you-speech! I'll be on the lookout for a successor for next Sunday, to get this thing back on schedule (I can't do it until this Sunday).
    Last edited by The Yogi; 29-06-2006 at 09:55.
    4x WritAAR of the week, Best Character Writer of the Week (for Fu Manchu), June 28th 2006
    Where the Iron Crosses grow (Completed) PDF OscAAR for Best Completed HOI AAR
    Master Plan of Fu Manchu (Completed) PDF
    Empire of Fu Manchu (In progress) PDF x1 Weekly AAR Showcase, AARland Choice AwAARds;Fav.HOI1/2 AAR & Fav.HOI1/2 Narrative,Q2 2006 & Q3 2007
    The Eagle and the Lion (On hold) Golden Readers Choice HOI2 AwAARd, AARland Choice AwAARds-Favourite HOI1/2 AAR, 2005 Q4 and 2006 Q1
    Knights of the Western Empire (On Hold)
    The III Reich in World War III (In progress)

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: Rome

S. Latitude 47° 9′, W. Longitude 126° 43′
    Blog Entries
    Great going, Yog! Congratulations on the award.
    The Rodina and the Shackles of Humanity - A Soviet HOI3 AAR

"The Italians have a saying, Lemon, 'Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.' And, although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct." - Jack in 30 Rock

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 226 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 28 53 78 103 ... LastLast