• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congrats AP!

Ah, another new LibrAARian is recognized. Nice selection. Congrats, AP. :)

Congratulations Alfred Packer :)

Congratulations Packer!

phargle said:
I am going to murder you with an icepick.
Stop giving other people death threats, it makes me feel less special :mad:

Alferd, how do you handle character development? Do you have an idea of how they will mutate over time or do you focus more on improvisation as things progress? I ask this since "Kamil..." is set in a game where you will probably have to deal with the same people for a lot longer time than you've had to do previously.

Eams said:
Alferd, how do you handle character development? Do you have an idea of how they will mutate over time or do you focus more on improvisation as things progress? I ask this since "Kamil..." is set in a game where you will probably have to deal with the same people for a lot longer time than you've had to do previously.

I start with a baseline of the character, kind of what I want to see from them (usually just a few traits or a phrase - Edouard Benes is "long-suffering straight man, Czech Patriot", Full-Dan is "Artistic, Relic collecter, petty and theatrical") and minor characters get even less (The Admiral-General: "Thinks he's a pirate") but after I've established that, I let events and improvisation help shape and flesh the traits out (and some traits are never developed - the story just makes them irrelevent). Eadbert from Crovan Clan 1 suffered a dramatic personality shift after the death of his son and heir in a minor "get your feet wet" battle, one which was unforseen when I initially plotted his reign.

In Kamil, it gets taken to some absurdist heights (Milan's blind trust in his "Slovakian" ministers, the twin simpletons of the Navy, etc.), but each character is remaining 'true' to who they are (or at least that is the goal.

I have to admit, Kamil makes me nervous sometimes just because I will have to cope with such a large (and largely permanent) cast for the entire game. I am quite a bit more sensative (in a good way) to audience commentary in Kamil Krofta just for that reason. I know there is a risk of getting stale and re-running the same scenes and gags over and over and I very much want to avoid that while still keeping each character "true" to themselves.

Hopefully I answered your question :)

Alfred Packer said:
I start with a baseline of the character, kind of what I want to see from them (...)

I love it that you describe your method, Alfred. I have to admit that I had second thoughts nominating you, not because I thought that you didn’t actually deserve this award, but because I had misgivings how others would receive this award being given for comical writing. It seems these second thoughts were unnecessary anyway, but still.

I think that it is more than evident that your characters, while comical, are far from flat, but choke-full of character. The recent speech of Emperor Full-Dan, his reaction at coming to face with the Lithuanian army, and the subsequent short conversation with his sycophantic advisors reveals a lot of character, which is all the more masterful as theses occurences are all so very brief.

Alfred Packer said:
Hopefully I answered your question :)
Very much so, although an in-depth description of how you came up with the infamous cucumber-scene between Milan's wife and one of his cabinet members would have been, eh, interesting :eek:o

The_Guiscard said:
I have to admit that I had second thoughts nominating you, not because I thought that you didn’t actually deserve this award, but because I had misgivings how others would receive this award being given for comical writing.
I'm sure that most of us are intelligent enough to realise that it's just as hard to write good comedy as it is to write good drama.

Passing the torch!

Okay, I have struggled mightily with this. There are so many fantastic characters in AARLand, how to I choose the characters in just one AAR. I thought of one, then thought of 3 more and then read around a bit and just kept adding more and more prospects to this list.

Add to that the fact that the index is outdated, so I don't know who won recently (or rather, I am too lazy to do the minimum amount of work to find out who won recently) and I face a real difficulty.

Recently, History Book and Comedy Writars have won an award traditionally dominated by Narratives, so I have decided to choose another variation: The Graphic Fiction.

This AuthAAR's work is made doubly difficult in that English is most definately not his first langauge and he must labouriously translate and edit the art that makes up his AAR.

That, even with these difficulties, he is able to convey the tragedy and emotion of his characters is one thing. That he does so so very well is exceptional. I wish I could read Spanish because the original AAR in the Spanish forums must be extraordinary.

I present this award to oriafontan for Captain Deng, but especially for the characters Zoe and the almost uniquely vengeful one-eyed Siberian in his AAR Mongolia Calls the Captain Deng

Congratulations!

I shall have to pop over to the HoI subforum and take a closer look. Seems an interesting and unusual piece of work.

Congratulations oriafontan !