• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congrats VILenin!

Way to go, VILenin. I've been enjoying that work for some time. Congrats!

Thanks again to everyone! I've finally reached a decision on the next winner. First, I want to say what a tough decision it was; there are many examples of great characters out there. In the end, it came down to two very deserving people but alas, like the Highlander, there can be only one.

And that winner is General_BT, author of Rome AARisen - a Byzantine AAR, for his outstanding character of Nikolaios Komnenos. The whole story is populated with rich characters, from the belligerent father to the deadly femme-fatale spy mistress, but it is the young co-Emperor who shines the brightest. Congratulations General_BT! :)

Congratulations General_BT!!

Unbelievably well deserved!

Congratulations! One of the most sympathetic characters I've ever seen in AARland, with plenty of depth that is revealed lovingly.

And yes, very hopeful that he finishes that awful woman off and then brings Romaion to giddy heights after that.

Cheers.

Congratulations BT ! Well deserved !

Wow!

Thank you, VILenin, for nominating me for this award - you've been a reader following the tale of my own Komnenids from the very beginning. :) Really, the most encouraging thing from the writers end, in my opinion, is knowing that people enjoy your characters and your story, and I'm glad to know I've succeeded! :)

Nik was/is a hard character to write. I took the possibly-controversial route to explain his in-game lack of children - that he was homosexual. Of course, things being medieval Europe, this isn't common knowledge amongst the general populace of the Byzantine Empire! :) (Not to mention its posing a tiny problem of succession :p ) I think it added a great deal of depth to what would have otherwise been an overly intellectual, scheming son of an Emperor (those are a dime a dozen, it seems, throughout Byzantine history), and it has resulted in what will soon become a "mother of all battles" in the Byzantine court, as one of his greatest enemies now knows his secret... :eek: He's been tough to write, as I said, but also a great deal of fun, and I hope you all continue to enjoy his adventures (and the adventures of the whole Komnenid clan) as Roman history goes forward!

Thank you once again!

Nik has definitely been a complex character and I think you've done his portrayal well without the usual pandering to an agenda that would otherwise have made it a controversial issue . Thus , your expert tactics and maneuvering of the subject as well as keeping the eye on the political ball , so to speak , is definitely noteworthy for this award . Congratulations !

I want to quickly voice my agreement about your superb handling of "the gay-issue." Something that could potentially become a very distracting side issue instead becomes a seamless and integral part of the character. :)

Nothing inherently controversial about it at all; it felt like a completely natural centrepiece of this section of the story.

Congrats General_BT! I`ll have to check out your work, cause your readers commenting here definitely have good taste. :)

Very many congratulations. I will have to try and stop by sometime - VILenin's recommendations I value highly.

Well done General_BT, congratulations :)

I'd like to thank everyone for all of their kind words and support this week, but it is time for the title to move on.

After some thought, I decided to hand the next nomination for Character Writer to someone who, to my surprise, looks as if he has not won the award before, despite the numerous honors and accolades received by his AAR Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World? The hard part was selecting from the multitude of well-written characters in this in depth story that weaves two tales, one from the past and one from the present seamlessly together. So in the end, I selected Tom, the protagonist of the more contemporary storyline!

Congratulations, canonized! Good job, and keep enthralling us with your work! :)