• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
congratulations!!

I have heard from some people (respectable people) that you write a fantastic AAR. Now only if I could be a full time reader :D

Just give me time.

and another congrats!

comagoosie said:
congratulations!!

I have heard from some people (respectable people) that you write a fantastic AAR. Now only if I could be a full time reader :D

Just give me time.

and another congrats!
You are welcome whenever you want -- I'm here all week. ;)

Well done Snugglie!

Well, that is my week of glory then, and it is time to pass this award on.

I have tried to become more prolific in my reading lately, but it is an inescapable fact that I am on my way to become close to permanently planted in the small, but oh so full of talent and good read, Crusader Kings-fora. The fact that I am something of a fetishist for Medieval times -- although it's not at all as dirty as it sounds -- of course helps as well.

Nevertheless, this inescapable fact leads me to a road's end where I sadly am not able to give the awAARd to someone outside of the CK-fora. I am however able to follow the general ethical code to try to give appreciation to those who deserve it and are yet to receive it.

Thus, without any further ado and gibberish from an actor lingering on stage after the play has already ended, I present your new Character Writer of the Week: the king of unfinished or aborted AAR's; a man stacking up an impressive body-count with this his latest AAR; a person who always seems to have a creative and innovative idea for a new AAR; in short, one of my definite favourites in AARland.

Congratulations, Actinguy! I pass this on to you for, in The Butterfly Device - A Grand Campaign continously popping out new interesting characters with interesting motives, as well as coining what, in my opinion, might be one of the better catchlines we've heard: "She'll kill them all!"

Congratulations!

Congratulations Actinguy !

Actinguy sits in the lobby's bar, drowning his sorrows in a glass of stale pretzels, when he hears through the venue's speakers:

"AND THE WINNER OF BEST CHARACTER WRITER OF THE WEEK...ACTINGUY!"

Actinguy takes another sip of pretzels, choking momentarily. "Hearing things, I am," he thinks in his best Yoda-impersonating-voice-within-his head.

"Too salty, this drink is," he adds as an after thought, thinking afterly.

"ACTINGUY! COME ON DOWN!"

"Talking to you, he is."

"Oh...OH!"

Actinguy leaps from the bar stool, accidently spilling his pretzley drink into a portly man's lap. He apologizes profusely, attempting to mop up the mess with a napkin, before the event's ushers locate him and drag him towards the stage.

"Uh...uh, boy. Wow. Thank you! Thank you everyone! I'd like to thank my commenters, of course...to name a few...uh...

"Enewald. His hatred of verbs brings joy to us all. Phargle, who's recent parody of The Butterfly Device in his AAR surely brought us a tiny fraction of his bajillion readers. Slinky, who as I speak, is even now helping me craft better action scenes. Qorten, who continues to read despite my best efforts to banish him. The Executer, who actually comes to our tale for incestual advice. Our two royal readers, Prinz Willhelm and Lord Cowles. And, of course, Snugglie. Through him, all awards are possible. And, I can't forget...uh...really? I only have eight readers? Are you freaking kidding me? Why am I writing this crap when I only have..."

Hehe. Thank you all so much! I see tradition has us talk a little about our AAR, especially the characters. Fun!

"The Butterfly Device" is a time-travel tale...but (I hope) with a twist. When the lead designer of a time-travel device, intended for the tourism industry, disappears into the past, the rest of his team is forced to turn to the American government for funding in an attempt to find him. This, of course, will cause major problems later in the story.

In an attempt to learn more about the past, the team sends back a butterfly, with a microchip that can gather data about the time-travelling trip. Unfortunately, this butterfly appears at exactly the wrong time, causing the French County of Guines to enter a (sometimes comical) trail of tragedy.

A bit about some of the main characters seen so far:

Baldwin de Guines - The Count of Guines at the beginning of the story. The butterfly causes him to strike his head, when he hears a voice prophecy "She'll kill them all." His attempts to stop the prophecy from coming true see him betrayed, dethroned, and locked away in a dungeon by his own wife and brother.

Reinel de Guines - Baldwin's brother, forced to lock away Baldwin for his own good and the good of the county. But he is backed into a corner by Baldwin's marshal, which has a tragic result.

Osbern de Guines - Just ten years old when he inherits the throne, Osbern has known much tragedy in his life...yet he attempts to keep a bright outlook on life and insist the prophecy isn't true...despite the fact that he has lost an ear, had his throat slit, fallen into a fire, been garottined, was stabbed in the heart, and had his entire castle literally collapse on top of him. So far.

Annelies of Yperen - The tragic bride of Count Baldwin. A misunderstanding causes Baldwin to believe Annelies is the prophecied killer...but she thinks it could be Matilda.

Matilda le Blount - Osbern's young cousin, who is deadly with a blade...and even deadlier with her mind. Her motivations have not yet been revealed, but she definitely has her own thoughts about the string of deaths in Guines. She worships Annelies, but has a love/hate relationship with Osbern.

Robert de Guines - Osbern's young brother, currently lost at sea after having fought off a pirate attack AND a shark. His is a journey of growth, seeing the world from a unique perspective, as the only main character who has never heard of the prophecy.

Juvenal Quentis - The lead designer of The Butterfly Device, he insisted he would be the first to try it out...only to discover there was no way to get back. Little is known so far about Juvenal, except that he is cunning, strong, and can think on his feet. He was last seen using both ancient and modern information in an attempt to find the Holy Grail, so that he could gain immortality and live until 2014 (his home time), but literally disappeared on a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea.

Anyhow, thanks again to Snugglie and the rest! And I hope you'll enjoy the next chapter of...

THE BUTTERFLY DEVICE

Last edited:
congratulations Actinguy. I have personally ventured into your AARs, and I do agree with the deserved award.

But now I need a constant reminder to read snugglie's or I may forget! :eek:

comagoosie said:
congratulations Actinguy. I have personally ventured into your AARs, and I do agree with the deserved award.

But now I need a constant reminder to read snugglie's or I may forget! :eek:
I can send you a reminder every week if you want. ;)

Nice speech Actinguy! Now enjoy your week!

Congratulations!

Congratulations Actinguy! (must stop placing an 'o' between the 't' and 'i'... must...)

Many congratulations, Actinguy. :)