• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congratulations, dag231! :)

Okay... for the character writer of the week...

Its a tough call.

There were a few that I read that were damn exceptional, but to me, the one that I think should take it is the one that has an almost guilty pleasure to it.

Its like you are getting gas and as you go to pay, you see a stand full of twinkies. You know they are toxin and will probably knock a year off your life. You know that if your significant other was here he/she/it would rip you a new hole if you grabbed one, but they arent. So you grab one and place it on the counter. Sure, the clerk looks at you and smirks, but you will probably never see him/her/it again, so screw 'em. And as you walk out the door, hiding your twinkie so nobody else can see, you eagerly await the seclusion of the car so you can unwrap your toxic goo and scarf if down.

That kind of hidden pleasure.

To me, that twinkie is DOOM'S DAY: A Latverian AAR ... :)

Now, its not a new AAR by any stretch of the imagination, but its Doctor freaking Doom, and reading it just makes me smile even though I know the outcome was never in doubt. All the other superheroes as well just add to the formaldehyde that is the twinkie.

In terms of newer characters, America Empire (USA/36) has some great writing going, and there was a fine Russian HOI2 DD AAR going, but I cant find it...

I am afraid that I didnt spend as much time as I would have liked reading all the other AARs in the other sections, so hopefully they will be highlighted by our new winner... :)

Last edited:
Congratulations, Arilou! :)

You were wise to choose DOOM! dag231. Very wise indeed.

Congrats Arilou, spiffin' job!

Congratulations!

Congratulations, Arilou! Glad to see this continue.

Haha, Thanks everyone! Though as said I really ought to share the credit with Stan Lee :p

This is an interesting initiative and I congratulate both the winners and Fenwick for starting it. I would suggest that when nominating a new individual, the person doing the nominating saying a few words about those characters that made the person choose their successor. It might help to entice new readers by seeing a little of what they found so enjoyable about the work and the characters that inhabit it.

coz1 said:
This is an interesting initiative and I congratulate both the winners and Fenwick for starting it. I would suggest that when nominating a new individual, the person doing the nominating saying a few words about those characters that made the person choose their successor. It might help to entice new readers by seeing a little of what they found so enjoyable about the work and the characters that inhabit it.

Didnt you read my twinkie comparison? :)

dag231 said:
Didnt you read my twinkie comparison? :)
I did, but it did not give me much insight into the actual AAR or its characters you found so entertaining. If this award is to recgonize strong character writing, I should think some discussion of what makes those characters work would be in order. My two ducats, of course. :)