+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 234 FirstFirst ... 2 27 52 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 102 127 152 177 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 4676

Thread: Best Character Writer of the Week: fabiolundiense

Romanorum Imperator Augustus asd21593's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

Congrats, The_Guiscard!

asd
    My AAR Library
    -not writing at the moment-

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Congratulations!
    The Memoirs of Santiago Nadal: A Mexico AAR
    The User Created Nations Mod: The only mod where you play with countries created by the EU3 community! Come and try it!

Europa Universalis III LibrAARian
    My Inkwell, in case you want to read one of my works or future projects.
    Every day with you girl is sweeter than the day before.
    No era penal...

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3

Congratulations, The_Guiscard!
    Return to Glory: A Germania AAR
    WritAAR of the week for the week of 6-10-07, Favorite New Writer Overall for Q2 2007, Best Character Writer of the Week 7-18-08

The Grand Duchy of Hesse-Darmstadt: A History

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    <3 Serlo

Congrats, man. You do good work. You're doing the Crusader Kings subforum proud.

Ok, my week of stern but just rule is over, and I shall have to vacate the throne.

In naming my successor, I shall be unorthodox. The “Best Character Writer of the Week” award has been mostly limited to earnest AARs, but I want to help create an awareness that characterization is not necessarily all about advanced psychology and angst, but that it can also be about creating interesting and memorable characters and portraying them in a consistent way. There are a number of comedy writers who have created very unique characters and gave them a hilarious but still well-defined profile of their own, and so I would like to nominate a comical writer for the many great – comical - characterizations he has done.

The prolific work of my successor spans the entire gamut of Paradox titles. His countless characters are not only funny, but moreover also three-dimensional and equipped with a life of their own. He has given us characters as memorable and unique as Johnny Tsunami, Archidamus Eurpontid, and St. Aslak Who Drove All The Frogs From Ireland. He is the self-proclaimed King of phargle-ripoffing, and I have heard it said that the Emperors of Crovania have placed a bounty of half a penny on his head and want to reward him for his services of publicizing the shame of their dynasty by gifting him with half of their Empire – the rebellious half, that is. So, in (almost) the words of the man himself:

“Meet my successor Alfred Packer, the crazy violent bastard. He’s your new King, you lousy Swedes.”

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: Rome

Packer! As an old Crovanophile, I'll have to concur what a great choice this is! Had I the time, I would read the tales of Gudrod Crovan again. Ah, memories...

And I think I forgot to congratulate you last week, Guiscard. I started reading your AAR, but then real life and schoolwork attacked me with a vengeance. I liked what I had time to see though, and I promise to have a look at it when one day I don't have my back crumbled and torn by schoolbooks.
    Stand up, all victims of oppression,
    For the tyrants fear your might!
    Don't cling so hard to your possessions,
    For you have nothing if you have no rights!
    Let racist ignorance be ended,
    For respect makes the empires fall!
    Freedom is merely privilege extended,
    Unless enjoyed by one and all.

Crazy Cat Person. Meow! Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    63 games registered

200k clubCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDungeonland
    Elven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor The Glory
    GettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    King Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CircleSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaEUIV: Art of WarParadoxian Order - 2015

Congrats Alfred! Didn't really follow your first Crovan adventures, but I have caught up in the eU3 section for the ACA's and will continue reading!

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Congratulations!
    The Memoirs of Santiago Nadal: A Mexico AAR
    The User Created Nations Mod: The only mod where you play with countries created by the EU3 community! Come and try it!

Europa Universalis III LibrAARian
    My Inkwell, in case you want to read one of my works or future projects.
    Every day with you girl is sweeter than the day before.
    No era penal...

Detective Lt., Police Squad Eams's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

Packer!
    Admit it, being recognized for creating memorable characters is a lot better than being imprisoned for eating all the Democrats in your county
    Congrats!
    "Taking over the world with the USSR isn't a mission... it's just a passtime." -blue emu

o=||==Official=Poet=Lauerate=of=Suenik==||=o

Proud recipient of one phargle-O==|======-

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

Blog Entries
    I can honestly say, much like The_Guiscard said before, I never expected to win this award. Ever. And I mean ever.

When I realized The_Guiscard (who is the sort of author that should wind this award often) had linked my inkwell page, I raced over to update it (Crovan Clan 2 wasn't on there) and stopped to read The Adventures of King Kamehameha. I'd forgotten what a joy that story was to write (even if the game itself was awful). I am not a great player of Paradox games (in fact, even on easy, they can be a struggle and Normal is as tough as I can handle), so I can't write stories of great conquest, because it just doesn't happen in my games. And that's okay. There are plenty of great players producing great stories. Despite periodic highs, these are mostly AARs of abjact failure. For Every Half-Dan running about and conquering huge chunks of land, there is a Skule hot on his heels and ready to lose it all.

Maybe that is why these characters work for people. Their lives are not great. They do not accomplish fantastic things, though they might have great dreams. They are simply everymen. Granted, often violent, murderous, autocratic, or insanse, everymen. So, maybe they are not "everymen" at all. But they are, at some level and in some way, all failures and the sting of failure is something everyone can identify with.

After several attempts to look at characters and motivations and deleting more than a few pompus re-writes, I shall instead simply say "thank you" to all my readers. Often comments give me insights into characters I hadn't noticed before and the continued comments make me work harder to make each person distinct and true to themselves. I feel like I have gotten better at this over time and it is because of you all. You make me want to populate these stories with new and varied individuals and families, whether it is the violent, sociopathological and monomaniacal Crovans, the well intentioned and naive Kamehamehas or the entire cast of madmen in Kamil Krofta, I am doing it because I want to make you all as happy reading my stories as I am writing them and reading yours.

Also, as you can see, this is why I stick to graphics-heavy formats. I get wordy, long-winded and boring, when given half a chance.

And now, to bask in the sun of undeserved praise for a week!

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Lead and GoldMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Very nicely deserved Packer!

The sick mind that brought us the Crovans in all their weird and wonderful Crovanishness needs to be commemorated in some way

Congratulations on the award and let me say I can't wait until you get to HOI2!

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Packer
    And now, to bask in the sun of undeserved praise for a week!
    I am going to murder you with an icepick.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War
    Crusader Kings II: Way of Life

You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment
    Congratulations ! Well done !
    DANGEROUS LIAISONS
    The New Short AAR about Seduction , Manipulation , Intrigue , Mystery , and Revolution .
    -~= =~-
    T I M E L I N E S : What if Spain Failed to Control the World?
    Seventeen AARLand Choice Awards: Favourite Overall New WritAAR Q1 2007.
    Favourite Overall EU3 AAR: Q1 2007; Q2 2007; Q3 2007; Q4 2007; Q1 2008; Q2 2008; Q3 2008; Q4 2008
    Favourite Narrative EU3 AAR: Q1 2007; Q2 2007; Q3 2007; Q4 2007; Q1 2008; Q2 2008; Q3 2008; Q4 2008

Three Times WritAAR of the Week: 4 March 2007 13 May 2007 & 28 March 2008;
    Twice AAR Showcase: 9 Dec 2007, 14 Jun 2009; Twice Best Character Writer: 9 Dec 2007, 13 Sep 2008

Editor in Chief of The AARlander

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Packer
    Should I have put the "this is boring warning" at the top?
    It will all soon be over. . . for you.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Congrats AP!
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

The Father of AARland Lord Durham's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Ah, another new LibrAARian is recognized. Nice selection. Congrats, AP.
    Current AAR: The Sons of Ragnar Lodbrok: In the Shadow of the Great Old Ones

Follow the link to read The Pariah. For more Lovecraft style horror, try The Crane Horror and my Holmes/Lovecraft story The Case of the Galloway Eidolon. All are free to read in the Lovecraft eZine.

Available: The Saglek Incident in the anthology Sha'Daa: Pawns and Witiko in the anthology Bigfoot Terror Tales: Vol 1

Also: Plains of Hell in the anthology Lawyers in Hell & Colony in the anthology Rogues in Hell, continuing the HUGO award winning Heroes in Hell series, edited by Janet Morris

For a complete list of my AARs go to The Ink Well. Visit my Website for news, reviews and story excerpts.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3

Congratulations, Alfred Packer!
    Return to Glory: A Germania AAR
    WritAAR of the week for the week of 6-10-07, Favorite New Writer Overall for Q2 2007, Best Character Writer of the Week 7-18-08

The Grand Duchy of Hesse-Darmstadt: A History

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Alfred Packer!

Sons of Santiago - Restored Narrative AAR for Victoria II

Last Update: 25/09/2012

-------------------------------------------------
    The Inkwell - All my, and many others, AARs in one place!
    I've Been Canonized! and made Patron Saint of TimeTravellers

200k clubHoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubParadoxian Order - 2015

Congratulations Alfred Packer
    EUIII AAR: The lilies of France
    Awarded Best Character Writer of the Week 25. Feb 2007
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 22. April 2007

HoI2 AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller – A Norwegian AAR
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 25. Sept 2005
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 25. Jan 2006
    Awarded Fan of the Week 26. March 2006, 7. October 2007 and 10. November 2008
    Boer War AAR: Joe’s War- a Boer War AAR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 234 FirstFirst ... 2 27 52 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 102 127 152 177 ... LastLast